ADVERTISEMENT

Lander will break out next season

Here is USAB's recommended workout for guards-weight training is fundamental to the program.

Any move that requires explosiveness requires fast twitch muscle fibers. The only way to increase fast twitch fiber response is strength training. Some people are naturally endowed with a preponderance of fast twitch fibers while others struggle to increase the fast response of the fiber distribution they were born with.

I remember a machine appearing in gyms that was reportedly developed to increase Kent Benson's hops. In my case it didn't seem to help. :) I am genetically endowed with a preponderance of slow twitch fibers that are excellent for endurance but not so much for vertical. :)

I saw an interview with Tiger and he stated his major training mistake in life was running too many miles that had degraded his knees. My knees agree, too many early morning 15 mile runs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
Here is USAB's recommended workout for guards-weight training is fundamental to the program.

Any move that requires explosiveness requires fast twitch muscle fibers. The only way to increase fast twitch fiber response is strength training. Some people are naturally endowed with a preponderance of fast twitch fibers while others struggle to increase the fast response of the fiber distribution they were born with.

I remember a machine appearing in gyms that was reportedly developed to increase Kent Benson's hops. In my case it didn't seem to help. :) I am genetically endowed with a preponderance of slow twitch fibers that are excellent for endurance but not so much for vertical. :)

I saw an interview with Tiger and he stated his major training mistake in life was running too many miles that had degraded his knees. My knees agree, too many early morning 15 mile runs.
I know a lot of folk with brains like that - slow twitch and no vertical.

Some of what you're talking about is neurological and no amount of strenth training will change it - some folk are just quick(er). As for knees, Tiger's probably would have gone south anyway or he had lousy form/bad shoes - are plenty of 70-80 year old runners out there whose knees are just fine.

I know a lot of folk with brains like that - slow twitch and no vertical.

Some of what you're talking about is neurological and no amount of strenth training will change it - some folk are just quick(er). As for knees, Tiger's probably would have gone south anyway or he had lousy form/bad shoes - are plenty of 70-80 year old runners out there whose knees are just fine.
There are no absolutes. Sure there are runners out there with no knee problems but there are also former runners with knee problems. When I was running 50 miles a week at close to 200 lbs my knees took a beating. Tiger was maybe 190 lbs, so similar, and much different than someone say at 5 7" and 150 lbs. You might shoot Tiger an email telling him it wasn't the running but cheap shoes that did him in.

Strength training can have a neurological impact by increasing fiber recruitment-it impacts neuromuscular response not just muscle fiber response.

BTW-I liked your comment about slow and no vert. :)

Last edited:
I did say "some". And really don't give two shake about Tigger.
With sufficiently high percentage of fast twitch fibers you can own one of these even with zero mental vertical-

With sufficiently high percentage of fast twitch fibers you can own one of these even with zero mental vertical-

Indeed. Surely incentivize going out for groceries.

Considering your screen name I expected a strong negative reaction.
Wicked, but went right by me - registers as a quantum leap in engineering and the ultimate pinnacle of a romance with design and performance. Pretty much eclipses all else, but points for effort.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT