ADVERTISEMENT

Lander Oficially 2020

We haven’t been that type of program since the late 80s. Heck, Coach K didn’t even run that type of program until about 7-8 years ago. And we’ve been down this argument path before. Many of us don’t want the UK model. Their results, yes. Their methods, no. Revolving door, one and done mercenaries every year, nope. I’ll take Michigan State, Virginia, Villanova type approach. And while Archies probably not at Izzo and Wrights level yet recruiting wise...give him a season or two competing for B10 title and making waves in the NCAA, and I bet the average recruit rating gets a little better and better each year. As it stands, his 20’ class is currently the best in the B10.

He does need to make a jump in conference wins though. Without it, all the other noticeable improvements won’t mean anything.

If there is a season, THIS is the year he needs to show that he can make the whole greater than the sum of it's parts.

I swear, only the IU fanbase sweats over bringing in good players like this. No, AD is a senior, not a PG and should recognize as much as anyone we need depth in our backcourt. If anyone was threatened, it would be Phinisee, but again, after his injury riddled last year, I think he'll understand and be fine. We need depth and good players at all positions. If guys are threatened by a reasonable approach like that, we're better off without them. All top programs are bringing in good players every year. Landers minutes will mostly come from those DG is leaving behind. Maybe it will cost AD and RP a couple minutes a game, but if the team is better, all good team players will be good with that to get a talent that elevates the team.
Not sweating it, it was just a question. I am all for recruiting and bringing in the players that are going to compete to win. It just seems like kids these days can't handle being recruited over them and bail.

I swear, only the IU fanbase sweats over bringing in good players like this. No, AD is a senior, not a PG and should recognize as much as anyone we need depth in our backcourt. If anyone was threatened, it would be Phinisee, but again, after his injury riddled last year, I think he'll understand and be fine. We need depth and good players at all positions. If guys are threatened by a reasonable approach like that, we're better off without them. All top programs are bringing in good players every year. Landers minutes will mostly come from those DG is leaving behind. Maybe it will cost AD and RP a couple minutes a game, but if the team is better, all good team players will be good with that to get a talent that elevates the team.

speaking of rob. Man he got overrated at first it seems. I am guilty of that, I thought he was gonna rival Vic as a defender after watching him lock up cash at the end of the MSU game. Truth is other than about 3 games in his career Rob has been below average in everything. Shooting, dribbling, passing, emotion/effort, and defense.

He could easily see less than 15 mins a game this year and work himself to the back end of the rotation. I wouldn’t be shocked if franklin passes him In minutes this year, if leal or Galloway steal some from him.

rob has a lot of work to do to be a big ten starting PG. Lander is gonna show that right away.

speaking of rob. Man he got overrated at first it seems. I am guilty of that, I thought he was gonna rival Vic as a defender after watching him lock up cash at the end of the MSU game. Truth is other than about 3 games in his career Rob has been below average in everything. Shooting, dribbling, passing, emotion/effort, and defense.

He could easily see less than 15 mins a game this year and work himself to the back end of the rotation. I wouldn’t be shocked if franklin passes him In minutes this year, if leal or Galloway steal some from him.

rob has a lot of work to do to be a big ten starting PG. Lander is gonna show that right away.

I disagree. I thought Rob had a great freshman year. I mean he got thrust in to a starting PG spot and wasn't even a top 100 guy. A guy that on a top 20 team wouldn't have been expected to play much until his junior year. Sure he had his ups and downs, but any freshman starting PG does. And I think he did have a nagging injury last year and am hopeful he'll use that and Lander's arrival as motivation for a better year. His shot form looks good. I still have confidence he can become the solid 4 year PG that we all thought we had after his freshman year. I think he and Lander will give us a solid and hopefully potent PG tandem.

Not sweating it, it was just a question. I am all for recruiting and bringing in the players that are going to compete to win. It just seems like kids these days can't handle being recruited over them and bail.

I think it's overblown, and at IU this has been going on since I started coming on this board, who knows how many years ago, 15? Plus, I've been in NC so I watch firsthand how UNC and Duke bring in top players every year, and their fanbase never worries someone is pushing someone out.... it's just how it is and everyone knows competition is coming... but so are wins! At one point, UNC had 3 top 100 PGs on their roster, and what did it get them? A NC!

Reactions: 76-1
I disagree. I thought Rob had a great freshman year. I mean he got thrust in to a starting PG spot and wasn't even a top 100 guy. A guy that on a top 20 team wouldn't have been expected to play much until his junior year. Sure he had his ups and downs, but any freshman starting PG does. And I think he did have a nagging injury last year and am hopeful he'll use that and Lander's arrival as motivation for a better year. His shot form looks good. I still have confidence he can become the solid 4 year PG that we all thought we had after his freshman year. I think he and Lander will give us a solid and hopefully potent PG tandem.

last year was just bad for rob. All of it. He got worse. Now is that do to a nagging injury, time
will hopefully tell. He has a lot more competition this year, and unless he improves dramatically from last year he will be coming off the bench.

last year was just bad for rob. All of it. He got worse. Now is that do to a nagging injury, time
will hopefully tell. He has a lot more competition this year, and unless he improves dramatically from last year he will be coming off the bench.

as every player should, every year!

I just noticed several times last year when he went to the bench to sit down, he was wincing. Something 20 year olds never do. I pulled or strained a stomach muscle once in a pick up game, and it would hit me like that when I stood up or sat down and hung around for a few months at least.

as every player should, every year!

I just noticed several times last year when he went to the bench to sit down, he was wincing. Something 20 year olds never do. I pulled or strained a stomach muscle once in a pick up game, and it would hit me like that when I stood up or sat down and hung around for a few months at least.

you only get 4 years here. Injuries suck but they don’t normally cost a player a season or 2. Rob is now at 1.5 or more years playing bad because of injuries? He doesn’t have much time to get healthy. I’m not debating why he was playing bad, but he was in fact playing bad. If he doesn’t change that he’s gonna be benched.

And no every player doesn’t need to improve dramatically. Tjd doesn’t AL doesn’t smith doesn’t. They are all solid player in there own right. They will improve in some areas but Rob needs to improve in literally everything. He’s a bad ball
Handler, passer, and shooter. Sometimes he’s good at defense sometimes he looks awful. If franklin takes a dramatic jump, he will pass Rob with ease.

Here are AF and RP's freshman stats. Don't see AF approaching RP's minutes, even though I also really like AF and think he has a bright future. Lander's going to struggle with the jump to college too, and he's doing it a year early. RP has a starting spot pretty much locked up if healthy, and it's up to him to hold on to it. I have no allegiance to Rob, and I think Lander should start if he's better, but I think we'll see a much better Rob this year if healthy.

GP MIN PTS REB AST STL BLK TO FG% FT% 3P%
AF 32 13.8 3.7 1.6 1.3 0.3 0.1 0.9 34.8 61.5 26.6

RP 32 27.3 6.8 3.3 2.9 1.1 0.1 1.3 36.1 66.0 31.0

Here are AF and RP's freshman stats. Don't see AF approaching RP's minutes, even though I also really like AF and think he has a bright future. Lander's going to struggle with the jump to college too, and he's doing it a year early. RP has a starting spot pretty much locked up if healthy, and it's up to him to hold on to it. I have no allegiance to Rob, and I think Lander should start if he's better, but I think we'll see a much better Rob this year if healthy.

GP MIN PTS REB AST STL BLK TO FG% FT% 3P%
AF 32 13.8 3.7 1.6 1.3 0.3 0.1 0.9 34.8 61.5 26.6

RP 32 27.3 6.8 3.3 2.9 1.1 0.1 1.3 36.1 66.0 31.0

so they both were horrendous their freshmen year statistically. Makes a lot more sense that we were god awful robs freshmen year with him playing those minutes with those stats. Good god.

We haven’t been that type of program since the late 80s. Heck, Coach K didn’t even run that type of program until about 7-8 years ago. And we’ve been down this argument path before. Many of us don’t want the UK model. Their results, yes. Their methods, no. Revolving door, one and done mercenaries every year, nope. I’ll take Michigan State, Virginia, Villanova type approach. And while Archies probably not at Izzo and Wrights level yet recruiting wise...give him a season or two competing for B10 title and making waves in the NCAA, and I bet the average recruit rating gets a little better and better each year. As it stands, his 20’ class is currently the best in the B10.

He does need to make a jump in conference wins though. Without it, all the other noticeable improvements won’t mean anything.
What a crock. We don’t like their “methods”! Just a lame excuse from blind fans. We should want to win and have the standards to push for it.

Yet, in the last 5 seasons, who has won more national titles - any of those three, or Villanova?

I'd much rather have a nice blend of veterans with 5 stars added in, much like 'Nova or UNC. Playing the OAD game year after year has worked out well for Cal & Coach K after not having veterans around with their young talent, hasn't it?
Once again, you don’t even understand chapter 1 of Statistics 101.

so they both were horrendous their freshmen year statistically. Makes a lot more sense that we were god awful robs freshmen year with him playing those minutes with those stats. Good god.

Well, I guess we just have different measures for expectations of a freshman PG. The fact that he was even playing 27 mpg, is pretty shocking so I can forgive lower stats, especially when he had 2 of the best players in the conference and his job was to get it to them. The only figure that sucks is his fgp. Others could be better, but again he was a freshman acting as a primary ballhandler. RP shouldn't have had to start as a freshman and should have been a backup. For comparison sake I'll paste Yogi's freshman stats below. Bear in mind I think he was a 5 star who was expected to start. Not much of a difference:

Ferrell,Kevin (Yogi) 36-36 1012 28.1 91-226 . 4 0 3 23-76 . 3 0 3 67-84 . 7 9 8 12 88 100 2.8 60 0 147 75 6 28 272 7.6

Last edited:
Reactions: Paterfamilias
For context UNC has 5 guys coming in ranked from 12-60. UK has 5 5 stars. Duke’s class is loaded. These are the teams we’re trying to be. One great recruit and 2-3 average 100-150 guys isn’t going to get the job done.

For context, you are a troll and habitual liar.

Reactions: MrBing and Al Bino
“The foundation” - the most overused and misunderstood term in college sports.

This isn’t the pros where a guy can stay 10-15 years. The only “foundation”, the only constant, is the coach. That’s it. Players come and go. Both of those guys could be gone in a year. Players can never be your foundation in college sports.
This from the guy that guaranteed Lander to Louisville. Please just go back to GBI.

Not only will there be basketball, there will be college football played in the fall. Will be in a limited capacity most likely without spectators, but a season nonetheless. Vaccine or no vaccine.
Want to bet? Let's just say I'm not a janitor, I know what's under discussion.

Rivals released their final Top 150 for the 2020 class.

Link: https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2020

Class rankings:
1 (11). Indiana
2 (15). Michigan
3 (17). Illinois
4 (33). Wisconsin
5 (36). Rutgers
6 (40). Michigan State
7 (46). Purdue
8 (48). Iowa
9 (54). Nebraska
10 (59). Penn State
11 (64). Ohio State
12 (66). Minnesota
13 (77). Northwestern
14 (83). Maryland

Individual Player Rankings:
24. Khristian Lander - Indiana
32. Adam Miller - Illinois
35. Andre Curbelo - Illinois
37. Hunter Dickinson - Michigan
39. Cliff Omoruyi - Rutgers
43. Mady Sissoko - Michigan State
72. AJ Hoggard - Michigan State
76. Jaden Ivey - Purdue
85. Ethan Morton - Purdue
87. Jordan Geronimo - Indiana
88. Zeb Jackson - Michigan
97. Eugene Brown - Ohio State
102. Ben Carlson - Wisconsin
103. Terrance Williams - Michigan
107. Ty Berry - Northwestern
109. Ahron Ulis - Iowa
110. Zed Key - Ohio State
115. Jamal Mashburn, Jr. - Minnesota
123. Anthony Leal - Indiana
130. Jonathan Davis - Wisconsin
139. Trey Galloway - Indiana
141. Martice Mitchell - Minnesota
UNR 4*. Teddy Allen - Nebraska

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Want to bet? Let's just say I'm not a janitor, I know what's under discussion.

College football will be played in some capacity this fall. Whether you’re a janitor or not is irrelevant. I’m not nor need to bet on anything.

I’ve been an IU fan my whole life. I just wish IU had the success UK and Duke have.
You seem to have this idea that the UK/Duke way of doing it is the only way. IU is recruiting well enough for a team that is trying to get old.

For context UNC has 5 guys coming in ranked from 12-60. UK has 5 5 stars. Duke’s class is loaded. These are the teams we’re trying to be. One great recruit and 2-3 average 100-150 guys isn’t going to get the job done.

This from the guy that guaranteed Lander to Louisville. Please just go back to GBI.

Don’t forget this gem:

I've been waiting all afternoon to post this because I wanted to be 100% sure. I got a text this morning about it and admittedly I thought it was a rumor at first. I've been waiting to make sure its 100% before posting.
I can say with 100% confidence that Billy and his wife were in Bloomington this morning.
I don't see any scenario where he and his wife come to town and he doesn't take the job. It's happening!!!

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
You seem to have this idea that the UK/Duke way of doing it is the only way. IU is recruiting well enough for a team that is trying to get old.
You and others seem to have this idea that we “choose” not to be like UK and Duke. We don’t choose that. Archie, just like every coach in America, is trying to get the very best players he can. His goal is to be able to land multiple all Americans every year. He would trade our class for UK or Duke’s in a heartbeat. It’s just foolish to think he “chooses” guys in the 100-150 ranking over 5 stars. He’s just lower on the pecking order than the elite schools.

Everything changed when he decided to reclassify and wanted immediate PT.

Let’s not even get into your guarantees for last season that fell face first.

Wrong again. When KL committed he had not even considered reclassifying. Oh, and KL was getting "immediate PT" anywhere he goes. You are wrong in so many ways. You made an idiot, again, of yourself.

Wrong again. When KL committed he had not even considered reclassifying. Oh, and KL was getting "immediate PT" anywhere he goes. You are wrong in so many ways. You made an idiot, again, of yourself.
It was discussed weeks before committing. We/they knew it was a possibility and did contribute to his choice. The carrot was held in front of him playing with his friends and TJD.

Please link any "guarantees" that I have ever made on this, or any board. I'll save you some time kiddo, I have never guaranteed anything about any sports team, ever.

Please link any "guarantees" that I have ever made on this, or any board. I'll save you some time kiddo, I have never guaranteed anything about any sports team, ever.
I think he’s referring to another poster who said that. Not you. Correct me if I’m wrong.

You and others seem to have this idea that we “choose” not to be like UK and Duke. We don’t choose that. Archie, just like every coach in America, is trying to get the very best players he can. His goal is to be able to land multiple all Americans every year. He would trade our class for UK or Duke’s in a heartbeat. It’s just foolish to think he “chooses” guys in the 100-150 ranking over 5 stars. He’s just lower on the pecking order than the elite schools.
This is majorly false, that is your preference. Just from looking at his offers you can plainly see he wants to get old with good multi year players. Obviously that takes longer to do than getting all 5 star players who often don’t stay more than a year or two.

“The foundation” - the most overused and misunderstood term in college sports.

This isn’t the pros where a guy can stay 10-15 years. The only “foundation”, the only constant, is the coach. That’s it. Players come and go. Both of those guys could be gone in a year. Players can never be your foundation in college sports.

Holy crap... Which is it? Players don't matter, only the coach matters, or is it players actually do matter? You posted both points of view within seven hours of each other!

Guess that's why Archie has stated - consistently - the idea is to "get older" and "stack classes on classes". Guess you forgot to discuss recruiting strategy with him, huh?

Holy crap... Which is it? Players don't matter, only the coach matters, or is it players actually do matter? You posted both points of view within seven hours of each other!
You do have to realize he posted this once. Explains a lot with feepaw.

I've been waiting all afternoon to post this because I wanted to be 100% sure. I got a text this morning about it and admittedly I thought it was a rumor at first. I've been waiting to make sure its 100% before posting.
I can say with 100% confidence that Billy and his wife were in Bloomington this morning.
I don't see any scenario where he and his wife come to town and he doesn't take the job. It's happening!!!

This is very basic stuff. Start over and slow down this time.

This is very basic stuff.

So was this - and you still screwed it up. Epically.

So was this - and you still screwed it up. Epically.

My new theory, to throw poor fpaw a bone, is that Donovan did come into town...to help evaluate the actual candidates. And he helped choose Archie. Saying something along the lines of...”he won’t win big immediately...but he’ll build a powerhouse...like I did at Florida. I struggled a little early on, but when my guys became sophomores and juniors, everything clicked. Oh, and I hope no one sees my wife and I out and about. They’ll probably make a fool of themselves on a message board.”

Or he was never in Bloomington I guess.

Reactions: speroni
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT