ADVERTISEMENT

Lagow Experiences the Manning Magic at Passing Academy

snowling

Hall of Famer
By: Andy Graham
IUHoosiers.com

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -
The Manning magic even extends, it seems, to the weather.

Indiana senior quarterback Richard Lagow, while serving as a counselor over the weekend at the prestigious Manning Passing Academy in Thibodaux, La., noticed a strange meteorological pattern.

"There was supposed to be a tropical storm (Cindy) while we were there, but we avoided it for the most part," Lagow recalled after returning to Bloomington. "It seemed to rain when we weren't doing anything scheduled out on the field.

"It'd be pouring for 15 minutes and then, when it was time for us to do something outside, suddenly it would be sunny. It would stop right when we started practice. We made jokes about it, as being just the magic of the Manning camp, but it was unbelievable."

The Mannings do tend to have things work out well. They reign as football's royal family.

Peyton Manning and younger brother Eli have a pair of Super Bowl rings apiece. Older brother Cooper, who was another fine prospect before spinal stenosis curtailed his playing career, hosts "The Manning Hour" for Fox Sports television. And dad Archie already resides in the NFL Hall of Fame.

Lagow hails from Plano, Texas, but is well aware what the surname Manning conjures up in Indiana, after Peyton Manning's stellar 14-season stint with the Indianapolis Colts.

"It's pretty special," Lagow said. "Obviously, growing up, Peyton and Eli were both guys every kid in the country looked at and idolized, and wanted to be like them – especially here, with Peyton up the road (in Indianapolis).

"It's priceless to be around those guys, even just for a weekend. To talk ball and hang out with them, and just be guys a little bit. Lots of memories. Lots of fun. It was a pretty special weekend. A lot of great friends among the other quarterbacks who were there."

That included five Big Ten counterparts -- David Blough (Purdue), Alex Hornibrook (Wisconsin), Clayton Thorson (Northwestern), Tanner Lee (Nebraska) and John O'Korn (Michigan.)

"There were a lot of pretty high-profile college quarterbacks from across the country, all in the same room," Lagow said, "but it was all about all of us being together as a quarterbacking family.

"Quarterbacks, in my experience, tend to get along really well. We've shared a lot of the same experiences and expectations. Even on your own team, when there is a lot of competition and everybody wants to play, there is kind of a quarterbacking brotherhood within that competition."

The college quarterbacks joined current and former NFL players at the camp instructing campers ranging from those entering eighth grade to those entering their senior year of high school in the quarterback, wideout, tight end and running back positions.

Sessions ran from 7 a.m. till 9 p.m., with three practices daily and some time, at the end, for the college quarterbacks to get some personal tips from the Mannings. Asked what he primarily took away from that experience, Lagow said:

"How close Peyton and Eli were, and how close their whole family was. How close they were and how they were able to make us feel like family with them, to feel right at home with them."

And that dovetails with the family-oriented approach Lagow sees from new IU head coach Tom Allen, to whose "Love Each Other" motto the Hoosiers aspire to adhere every day.

"LEO, to us, is not just a hashtag you can put on Twitter," Lagow said. "Not just a catchy phrase. It's not just LEO on the field, at practice and at games. We live that out every single day, off the field. It's who we are.

"You can be LEO when you're just by yourself, making the right decisions every day with your teammates' best interests in mind, with the best interests of the family in mind … it all comes back to Coach Allen."

???????Lagow also picked up additional philosophical underpinnings for leadership while with the Mannings, and he feels better equipped to put them into practice now that he's in his second full year at IU after previous stops at Connecticut, Oklahoma State and Cisco College.

"I think one of the bigger things I got from them concerned the leadership aspect of, you know, just being 'The Guy,' " Lagow said. "And it's like night and day for me, between this year and last. When I first got to campus last year, we'd be on the field and I'm still learning names. It's hard to lead everybody when I look at you and try to think of your name and where you're from and how I should talk to you.

"Different guys respond to leadership in different ways. Now I've been around all my guys for pretty much a year and a half. I'm just much more comfortable with every guy on the team. I really took a lot of time this off-season to get to know everybody in more detail – to learn about them, their family, their hometown, what makes them click, what motivates them."

That is also right out of the Tom Allen playbook. Allen, upon arriving as IU's new defensive coordinator in January, 2016, immediately set about conducting personal one-on-one interviews with every Hoosier defender, to begin cultivating the person, not merely the player.

Now, as head coach, Allen is extending that process to the entire roster, and his senior quarterback feels better equipped to pitch in.

"Having now played, after starting every game last year, that gives me a voice on the team," Lagow said. "And it's the senior year … when you run out of time, that's when you feel the greatest sense of urgency.

"That's how it felt right when the season ended last year. I knew this was the last go-round. And we needed more leaders to emerge."

???????Lagow helped lead Indiana to a second straight bowl game last year. His 3,362 yards passing rank second on IU's all-time single-season list, and his 258.6 yards passing per game ranked second in the Big Ten and 28th nationally. But there was some inconsistency amid the impressive numbers.

While setting an IU single-game passing record of 496 yards against Wake Forest, Lagow's three touchdown throws were offset by five interceptions in a close loss. He threw 19 TDs for the season but also 17 picks.

"Of course, everybody knows that's definitely the area where I need to improve most, that stat," Lagow said. "And just, overall, being more consistent, more accurate.

"It just comes down to preparation, being comfortable with the offense, trusting my guys, trusting the coaching, checking down, not forcing things. We had a great spring and I've had a great summer, so far, in taking care of the football. So we're excited about it. We've just got a great unit (of receivers.) They're all working their tails off."

Working with his fifth offensive coordinator in as many years, Lagow is already an enthusiastic acolyte of Mike DeBord, and also of new quarterbacks coach Nick Sheridan.

"Coach DeBord and Coach Sheridan both did a great job coming in and understanding that there was a transition phase early in spring," Lagow said. "They were patient with us while also not allowing any mistakes to slide by.

"I think that says a lot, because it's hard to do. It's hard to be patient while also correcting guys, and understanding the difference. Coach DeBord is an awesome leader. Everybody on the team is eager to hear him after practice, to listen to what he has to say, the wisdom he dishes out. And he has fun. We love coming to work for him every day."

???????Lagow wishes he'd been able to attend Indiana, under the current coaching staff, right when coming out of Plano High School.

"I think this is the best school in the country," Lagow said of IU. "I really believe that. I wish I could have come here for four years. And I believe it's heading in such a positive direction with football.

"Coach Allen is going to be the perfect guy here. He will do it his way, the right way, and it you don't want to do it the right way, it's the highway. He's not going to put up with any nonsense, and that's how it has to be. That's how we want it to be.

"If I could have come straight out of high school and have played for Coach Allen for four years, man, that would have been living the dream. But everybody's path is different. I trust God that everything works out and it has for me. It's put me in this situation with Coach Allen and Coach DeBord and Coach Sheridan and I couldn't be more excited for this senior year, and how it's all coming together."

So Lagow's outlook is:
Sunny.

http://iuhoosiers.com/news/2017/6/2...ces-the-manning-magic-at-passing-academy.aspx

Go Hoosiers!

"I think this is the best school in the country," Lagow said of IU. "I really believe that. I wish I could have come here for four years. And I believe it's heading in such a positive direction with football.

I know not everyone is happy with the TD/INT ration from last year, but all I ever ask of a player is that he WANTS to play for Indiana and gives his all. If a player does that, no matter how disappointed I might be with the result, I will be on his side. I'm firmly on Richard Lagow's side.

I know not everyone is happy with the TD/INT ration from last year, but all I ever ask of a player is that he WANTS to play for Indiana and gives his all. If a player does that, no matter how disappointed I might be with the result, I will be on his side. I'm firmly on Richard Lagow's side.
Seems like a decent, hard-working, motivated guy, and we're all pulling for him. He put up huge numbers in his rookie season, and there's no question he can make every throw, but 19/17 is unacceptable and my hunch is he's the first one who would say that. By his own admission, he was forcing things and probably trying to do too much. With a year of Big Ten play under his belt, I've got to think we'll see more consistently good play this year. The fact that he's comfortable with the coaching staff (e.g.,"If I could have come straight out of high school and played for Coach Allen for four years, man, that would have been living the dream") can't hurt either.

Reactions: ESalum86
Seems like a decent, hard-working, motivated guy, and we're all pulling for him. He put up huge numbers in his rookie season, and there's no question he can make every throw, but 19/17 is unacceptable and my hunch is he's the first one who would say that. By his own admission, he was forcing things and probably trying to do too much. With a year of Big Ten play under his belt, I've got to think we'll see more consistently good play this year. The fact that he's comfortable with the coaching staff (e.g.,"If I could have come straight out of high school and played for Coach Allen for four years, man, that would have been living the dream") can't hurt either.
To be fair, a number of picks were no fault of Richard. Seemingly a large number of tipped balls at the line of scrimmage, and at least two were results of a receiver not running the correct route.

To be fair, a number of picks were no fault of Richard. Seemingly a large number of tipped balls at the line of scrimmage, and at least two were results of a receiver not running the correct route.
The inordinate number of tips at the LOS was head-scratching, particularly since he's 6-6. Could be a release point issue but whatever it is I'm sure the coaches are all over it.

I'm not here to trash the kid. On the contrary, I think he's a major talent who, with likely improvement from last season, could end up having a very big year.

The inordinate number of tips at the LOS was head-scratching, particularly since he's 6-6. Could be a release point issue but whatever it is I'm sure the coaches are all over it.

I'm not here to trash the kid. On the contrary, I think he's a major talent who, with likely improvement from last season, could end up having a very big year.

I share the hope for a big year. I guess my biggest worry is that he's had so many voices in his ear over his career. Previous college stop (can't recall off the top of my head), Junior College,
Wilson, then the bowl game with stopgap staff, now the new staff. Add to that going to the Q-back camps this year. It would be nice to see it all come into focus for him this year, but man, he's been through a lot of coaches.

I share the hope for a big year. I guess my biggest worry is that he's had so many voices in his ear over his career. Previous college stop (can't recall off the top of my head), Junior College,
Wilson, then the bowl game with stopgap staff, now the new staff. Add to that going to the Q-back camps this year. It would be nice to see it all come into focus for him this year, but man, he's been through a lot of coaches.
I agree that it's been a long road and he's been through a lot. Some of those voices you're talking about may have been very loud voices. In any event, he persevered and it's paid off. He's the starting QB of a pretty good Big Ten football team. He'll be 23 in a couple of months, this isn't his first rodeo, and the QB job is his to lose. The team will go as far as Lagow - - and the OL - - take it. I believe they're going to take it farther than most people expect.

Yes, I think he is a long strider, which brings his release point down.

He really needs a little more space to extend his motion. Shortening his stride because
of pressure up the middle accounts for a lot of overthrows.

That's not true at all.
Actually, it's a pretty accurate take. He was also victimized by a running game that struggled to move the chains, especially on first and second down, and an O line that was hampered by injuries, graduation / departures, and inexperience, and a depleted receiver corps that lost three starters from the previous year to graduation and injuries. In the ultimate team game, it's rarely the fault of only one guy.

Actually, it's a pretty accurate take. He was also victimized by a running game that struggled to move the chains, especially on first and second down, and an O line that was hampered by injuries, graduation / departures, and inexperience, and a depleted receiver corps that lost three starters from the previous year to graduation and injuries. In the ultimate team game, it's rarely the fault of only one guy.

Hey, you guys can disagree with me all you want yet the vast majority of his interceptions were unforced. he had 17 interceptions. Please find 2 on video that were caused by tips at the line. I would be stunned if you could find any especially for a guy 6'6. Maybe you are speaking of the passes that were tipped that were a result of the d-line dropping back in a zone and read coverage that Lagow constantly miss read that caused issues. If I am not mistaken one of the guys actually got an INT on the pass.

Here is the first interception I could find a video of and it is what I remembered which is a bunch of overthrows with no pressure and receiver in a good position.

another overthrown ball

another overthrown ball and if tipped it was on Lagow and not the o'line

Here is another one where he overthrows the ball at the very beginning and at the end he just misses his wide receiver.

So I have found online 5 of the 17 interceptions and not a one back up your assertion of why he threw interceptions yet did mine. Feel free to post something factual to support your argument. Thanks!

Hey, you guys can disagree with me all you want yet the vast majority of his interceptions were unforced. he had 17 interceptions. Please find 2 on video that were caused by tips at the line. I would be stunned if you could find any especially for a guy 6'6. Maybe you are speaking of the passes that were tipped that were a result of the d-line dropping back in a zone and read coverage that Lagow constantly miss read that caused issues. If I am not mistaken one of the guys actually got an INT on the pass.

Here is the first interception I could find a video of and it is what I remembered which is a bunch of overthrows with no pressure and receiver in a good position.

another overthrown ball

Here is another one where he overthrows the ball at the very beginning and at the end he just misses his wide receiver.

So I have found online 5 of the 17 interceptions and not a one back up your assertion of why he threw interceptions yet did mine. Feel free to post something factual to support your argument. Thanks!
In which of those did the receiver run the wrong route or fail to adjust his route to the coverage?

Lagow certainly struggled at times but I remember the Penn State game where Mitchell Paige made screw after screw up. Paige was a gamer, but his performance in that game was a joke.

Ideally, Lagow would warm up quick and have a huge season, allowing Ramsey to take over the following year. If he can't do it, then Ramsey looks like the real deal.

Reactions: Mas-sa-suta
The guy, in his rookie season 1) passed for almost 3400 yards (great) and; 2) had a TD/INT ratio of 19/17 (abysmal). These two stats, in my opinion, reflect a talented QB - - - with significant room for improvement. I'm confident we're going to see him coached up this year, with some eye-popping numbers likely. He's definitely got some studs to throw it to. He'll need his OL to keep their end of the bargain, though.

Lagow certainly struggled at times but I remember the Penn State game where Mitchell Paige made screw after screw up. Paige was a gamer, but his performance in that game was a joke.

Ideally, Lagow would warm up quick and have a huge season, allowing Ramsey to take over the following year. If he can't do it, then Ramsey looks like the real deal.

Exactly, all the WR's who were deemed so good a year earlier fell apart this past year and are the reason Lagow struggled

The guy, in his rookie season 1) passed for almost 3400 yards (great) and; 2) had a TD/INT ratio of 19/17 (abysmal). These two stats, in my opinion, reflect a talented QB - - - with significant room for improvement. I'm confident we're going to see him coached up this year, with some eye-popping numbers likely. He's definitely got some studs to throw it to. He'll need his OL to keep their end of the bargain, though.

So, besides in the minds of a few posters here when has our line not lived up to their end of the bargain? Also, still waiting for all the videos of tipped passes to interceptions.

So, besides in the minds of a few posters here when has our line not lived up to their end of the bargain? Also, still waiting for all the videos of tipped passes to interceptions.
It's (keep their end of the bargain) an expression. It just means "do their part." There are legitimate questions related to the OL this year. My point was that, if the OL proves to be serviceable, and Lagow improves, I can envision a very effective offense.

With respect to your comment about videos, tipped passes and interceptions, you seem to be confusing me with another poster. I've said repeatedly that a 19/17 ratio is unacceptable, and much of that was on him. I also said that he had an inordinate number of passes batted down/tipped at the line of scrimmage, suggesting a release point issue for a guy who is 6-6. It was a problem, irrespective of when or if they led to INTs.

Please don't change what is being discussed to try and win. It's sad and makes you look more foolish then if you just admit you're wrong.
I'm not changing a thing. Route running was an issue, especially with the number of new bodies at WR necessitated by both injury and graduation. Watch the tapes and you'll see.

Exactly, all the WR's who were deemed so good a year earlier fell apart this past year and are the reason Lagow struggled
One of them graduated and two other starters were lost for the season. Inexperience at the position was a huge contributing factor.

another overthrown ball

Good post. Data talks, bs walks.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
NOT apologizing for Lagow and NOT saying that the O line was at fault for many INTs; however, in my opinion the blame could be shared. Take as examples, the first three INTs in the Wake game.
  • Interception 1: If I'm Lagow, I say "That was on me; I've got to get that pass down." But if I'm Timian, I say, "No, that was on me; it hit me in the hands and I should have caught it."
  • Interception 2: Repeat the script for Interception 1, except substitute Westbrook for Timian.
  • Interception 3: Don't know what to make of this one. Cronk appeared to release his man, and that guy hit Lagow as he was throwing, resulting in a wounded duck. Cronk looked as if he was expecting to block for a screen on the left side. But everybody else seemed to think the pass was going deep.
I think that, with improvement all around (but mostly on Lagow's part), it's not out of the question that we could limit INTs to single digits for the season.

Edit: Upon further review, on interception 3, the entire line, not just Cronk, played as if the play was designed to go to the left. It looks like maybe Magette was the player who was playing from a different playbook. He went to Lagow's right.

Last edited:
NOT apologizing for Lagow and NOT saying that the O line was at fault for many INTs; however, in my opinion the blame could be shared. Take as examples, the first three INTs in the Wake game.
  • Interception 1: If I'm Lagow, I say "That was on me; I've got to get that pass down." But if I'm Timian, I say, "No, that was on me; it hit me in the hands and I should have caught it."
  • Interception 2: Repeat the script for Interception 1, except substitute Westbrook for Timian.
  • Interception 3: Don't know what to make of this one. Cronk appeared to release his man, and that guy hit Lagow as he was throwing, resulting in a wounded duck. Cronk looked as if he was expecting to block for a screen on the left side. But everybody else seemed to think the pass was going deep.
I think that, with improvement all around (but mostly on Lagow's part), it's not out of the question that we could limit INTs to single digits for the season.

Edit: Upon further review, on interception 3, the entire line, not just Cronk, played as if the play was designed to go to the left. It looks like maybe Magette was the player who was playing from a different playbook. He went to Lagow's right.
Pretty good article here that directly relates to your post.
http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...ichard-lagow-takes-next-step-so-iu/458538001/

Reactions: Tokyo Steve
Excellent analysis of Lagow's 2016 season ("Lagow By the Numbers") on the other site. Most of his picks were on deep passes, and deep passes down the middle - - often to the 5-7 Paige - - were particularly problematic.

We need Simmie this season. With him, Westbrook, Hale and some other guys over 6-2, I really like our passing game. Per the article, "Even if Lagow makes no developmental progress, his interception numbers may improve merely as a function of his receivers . . . If [he] ... learns to avoid deep passes into double coverage - - usually in the middle of the field - - and accepts that sometimes a throwaway or a dump-off is the correct play, then IU's passing offense might make a significant leap forward in 2017."

Reactions: ESalum86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT