ADVERTISEMENT

Lack of shooters

capovito

Freshman
Jan 2, 2012
We are a decent defensive team and playing ok on that end. But we have not had agent shooter since yogi. None of our guards can shoot or create their own shot. Seems Miller is just lost when comes to offense. We will struggle mightily

Reactions: Lucy01 and BigMobe
We are a decent defensive team and playing ok on that end. But we have not had agent shooter since yogi. None of our guards can shoot or create their own shot. Seems Miller is just lost when comes to offense. We will struggle mightily
No pure shooters and guards have a hard time finishing at the rim.

Reactions: BigMobe
I think the offensive plan is pretty obvious and IU isn't doing a bad job in execution. Get the ball to our bigs or drive to the bucket. I think CAM has a decent plan. Just have to drop the foul shots that we are getting going to the bucket.

Reactions: SixthFlagComing

Air ball on a three to start the second half.

Sheesh.

They've been getting plenty of open shots, they're just missing. You can blame Archie for not recruiting more shooters, but it's not his fault that they can't hit a wide open three.

Miller isn’t the guy for this job. Even Steve Alford would have done better because of his ability to recruit. A Sweet 16 sounds pretty good right now.

• Wow
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
dumb

Final thoughts:
With shooters & 3-pt shooters on the floor, TJ Davis could average over 30 ppg. IU played tough defense against a ranked team. I watched one ref (the bald dude) for about 6 minutes in the second half and he called everything for FSU, including out of position calls and an over-rule.

Reactions: iulb and ericrossiu
Final thoughts:
With shooters & 3-pt shooters on the floor, TJ Davis could average over 30 ppg. IU played tough defense against a ranked team. I watched one ref (the bald dude) for about 6 minutes in the second half and he called everything for FSU, including out of position calls and an over-rule.
I watched same thing
Agree with everything you posted

They've been getting plenty of open shots, they're just missing. You can blame Archie for not recruiting more shooters, but it's not his fault that they can't hit a wide open three.
Yes, yes you can blame Archie. Its been an ongoing theme for 3 years. You can develop 3 point shooters or at least have them shoot at a higher percentage then they are now

The norm with Archie are defense struggles where we are lucky to get into the 60's on offense. I've been waiting for Archie to show he is a good offensive coach and I'd love for him to do it: just not seeing it. He probably needs to hire an offensive coordinator. Gotta be good on both ends of the floor.

What is on the coach? Before it was “these are not his players”. But these are his players.....this is not mid major

Good lord. We just took arguably the best team in the ACC to overtime on their floor. They certainly look better than DUKE and UNC. This was a defensive struggle B1G type of game. That Barnes kid disrupted our guards all game. He’s a high pick and roll nightmare. He switched on defense with ease. This isn’t a loss to gripe about to much.

Yes, yes you can blame Archie. Its been an ongoing theme for 3 years. You can develop 3 point shooters or at least have them shoot at a higher percentage then they are now
Nope. At this stage you are either a quality shooter or you are not. Oddly, more guys improve in the pro's than in college - mostly because it's their full-time job. Failure to make open shots is not on the coach. Failure to recruit players who can consistently make open shots is.

Archie Miller is a very good basketball coach. In every area where coaching really makes a difference, he is one of the best in the game. Unfortunately, he has been unable to get outstanding shooters to choose IU. Unless he gets that turned around, we aren''t going to be a B1G champion, or a Final Four contender. Nobody is elite without one or two dead-3 shooters. No coach in the country is good enough to contend for a conference title or final four without players who can stretch a defense, and those guys arrive on campus with those skills.

Unfortunately, he has been unable to get outstanding shooters to choose IU. Unless he gets that turned around, we aren''t going to be a B1G champion, or a Final Four contender. Nobody is elite without one or two dead-3 shooters. No coach in the country is good enough to contend for a conference title or final four without players who can stretch a defense, and those guys arrive on campus with those skills.

Don’t look now, but you just articulated exactly why it IS his fault.

getting Brunk back will help a lot.

while everyone is putting the blame on shooting, FSU's height/length let them play keep a way on the boards at winning time.

Don’t look now, but you just articulated exactly why it IS his fault.
i'm not denying that. You have to be able to successfully recruit just as much as you have to be able to handle all of the other aspects. If he can't convince better shooters to matriculate to Bloomington, we're going to be a program that's always competitive, tough to play against, well-prepared, but not good enough to win B1G titles or make deep tournament runs. And Archie knows that better than anyone. We have to stop being also-rans for top shooting talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT