ADVERTISEMENT

Labor shortage

Had a first tonight. Was by son's bday and he wanted BW3.... ok whatever. 6 year olds like shitty food

We show up at like 6p.... see a group waiting outside. Thought that's odd, parking lot looks not very full.

Go in, place is probably only 15% full. It was a 40 min wait as they have nobody there to work. Giant hiring sign outside for $17/hr.

We leave and go to another one about 15 mins away. This one they can seat us.... still probably about 25% capacity. Even then, the handful of people they had working could barely manage to operate the place. And this was on the day they claimed they called everyone in to work.

The pool/waterpark club we go to in the summer can't be open on Sunday so far this summer as they can't hire any lifeguards.

On the white collar side, really having terrible time filling professional jobs that are in the $80-$100k range with people that know which way is up.

Don't get me started on trying to find someone to remodel a bathroom project I've been holding off on for the last 12+ months.

Nutty times, indeed. Did everyone just decide they are done working?

This is what the world looks like since we’re not making more humans fast enough anymore for the pyramid scheme. Covid just hurried it along. Jobs to spare, shortages, inflation, and then we welcome our robot overlords. Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: F.Fletch
Bottled water's expiration date is based on expected eventual degradation of the plastic container.

Salt... I have no idea, but maybe it is based on the container too.

Operating a butter churn is like using a hand crank ice cream maker, but even SLOWER.
I always used one like this!

R14a607632ed5e908eb5c4b804e486990

Reactions: Crayfish57
Yeah, well, not saying you're wrong but I suspect Shaq already received enough "consideration" to compensate him far beyond what he would be charged for ink if he were treated like a mere mortal such as you and me. I like Shaq but everything Shaq is involved with is distorted by his size:

rs_634x792-170205143157-634-shaq-simone-biles-020517.jpg

For that matter, everything about Angus Young is also distorted for the same reason:

wen-wenn22686757.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: TommyCracker
Next, I intend to investigate why a computer printer costs $75 but replacement ink for all four colors costs $145. That might take a while.
It's called fishing... throw out the bait (check printer) and catch a sucker. :) :)

I sometimes wonder if being content with my lowly station is actually one of the few things I've done right.
Me thinks you exaggerate your station in life. Whether you do or don’t you obviously work and don’t lay around asking for handouts.

When I'm not posting on the Internet on company time.
Yea, you won’t forget that. I’ve apologized for whole thing more than once. I still believe it’s wrong to play on internet personally on company time. There was a particular poster that seemed to be a buddy of circlejoe that was bad about it.

Shouldn’t you be in the office doing some bookkeeping? 🤣
Bookkeeping can be a lucrative career. 😂
If you need a raise you can apply. You would have to get rid of that smug attitude around the Amish Mafia. 😁

Bookkeeping can be a lucrative career. 😂
If you need a raise you can apply. You would have to get rid of that smug attitude around the Amish Mafia. 😁
He'd have to learn the difference between a debit and a credit first.

WAAAA-AAAY beyond his ability.

Reactions: stollcpa
He'd have to learn the difference between a debit and a credit first.

WAAAA-AAAY beyond his ability.
We could start him on Quickbooks. We wouldn’t allow him to make journal entries where he needed to understand debits and credits.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
Had a first tonight. Was by son's bday and he wanted BW3.... ok whatever. 6 year olds like shitty food

We show up at like 6p.... see a group waiting outside. Thought that's odd, parking lot looks not very full.

Go in, place is probably only 15% full. It was a 40 min wait as they have nobody there to work. Giant hiring sign outside for $17/hr.

We leave and go to another one about 15 mins away. This one they can seat us.... still probably about 25% capacity. Even then, the handful of people they had working could barely manage to operate the place. And this was on the day they claimed they called everyone in to work.

The pool/waterpark club we go to in the summer can't be open on Sunday so far this summer as they can't hire any lifeguards.

On the white collar side, really having terrible time filling professional jobs that are in the $80-$100k range with people that know which way is up.

Don't get me started on trying to find someone to remodel a bathroom project I've been holding off on for the last 12+ months.

Nutty times, indeed. Did everyone just decide they are done working?
The CVS Pharmacy in the county seat of my county cannot find pharmacy techs who will stay. They have had to reduce hours and increase lead times to 4-5 days for common meds. If you call their automated system, the first 30 seconds is Covid testing marketing. CVS is making a financial windfall on this so-called pandemic.

This story is interesting and seems to hit on a theme I’ve been seeing. The UI benefits were likely a factor for some workers but it doesn’t explain everything. I know for me personally, I had never worked from home much at all. After the last year, I really enjoyed my time with my family and the flexibility.

This story is interesting and seems to hit on a theme I’ve been seeing. The UI benefits were likely a factor for some workers but it doesn’t explain everything. I know for me personally, I had never worked from home much at all. After the last year, I really enjoyed my time with my family and the flexibility.

Same. I had declined work from home when they started to offer it. Hated the idea of having to work from home for a couple weeks last year.

Now I wouldn't change it for anything. If I have to work late, I'm right there and able to see the wife and kids while still working.

I'd imagine the idea of being able to spend more time with family is something a lot of people are looking for.

Reactions: Cortez88
I am not downtown as much anymore but I can tell you my area (Noblesville/Fishers) is hiring everywhere. The restaurants are open and they almost all want employees. That goes from fast food to the higher end establishments.

Marion County is a different animal though because Hogsett is taking longer to open Indy back up. So I cannot speak for Indy.
I am not downtown as much anymore but I can tell you my area (Noblesville/Fishers) is hiring everywhere. The restaurants are open and they almost all want employees. That goes from fast food to the higher end establishments.

Marion County is a different animal though because Hogsett is taking longer to open Indy back up. So I cannot speak for Indy.
Before being shutdown, Indy had roughly 50-55K workers Monday through Friday, and more on 8-9 Sundays for Colts games.

Due to the knee-jerk reaction, at the absolute bottom, this was down to 5K to 7,5K, eviscerating restaurant, and many other industry segments. The town absolutely looked like a ghost town. It will never recover.

Indy is dead.

Before being shutdown, Indy had roughly 50-55K workers Monday through Friday, and more on 8-9 Sundays for Colts games.

Due to the knee-jerk reaction, at the absolute bottom, this was down to 5K to 7,5K, eviscerating restaurant, and many other industry segments. The town absolutely looked like a ghost town. It will never recover.

Indy is dead.
Thanks, Holcomb.

Reactions: DANC
i'm with ya stoll but it's a new world order. The English have found easier ways. two examples: my stoker's best friend's 21 yr old bro made 90k last year between his youtube channel and playing call of duty. still lives at home. bought himself an M3 at the end of the year. my stoker works 15 hours a week doing property management for two super loaded families. she made over $30k last year re-selling boxes they threw out and some clothes. took at best two hours a week. i think that paid more than the actual job for 15 hours a week. she told the wives they should do an online store together but they had no interest. new season new clothes and they didn't want to bother with the hassle. who knew there was a whole world out there willing to pay premium prices just for luxury clothes' boxes.

as tommy said above my grandfather too was a product of the depression. he was solidly middle class but drove a chevette (worst looking car i've ever seen) and took a single roll of HI Ho's in his briefcase for lunch everyday. he'd roll over in his grave if he could see me every morning pissing money away at starbucks.

kids today don't want to work at six flags in the heat or pizza hut in the grease. they'd rather make dough from home and more and more are pretty damn creative about it
My oldest, still in school, has probably cleared $30k already this year selling shoes, trading cards, Playstations, etc. But he also has a 20 hour a week unpaid research assistant job with a very well known environmental engineering professor at the local university - at which he’s been working 40+ hours a week. He parks a mile from the lab (because it’s free) and packs his lunch. They expect to have at least two research papers out for publication by the end of the summer. This morning he volunteered to pitch at his brother’s Little League game for kids with developmental disabilities. He has a 3.8 in chemical engineering at Purdue (2 years left). There ain’t a damn thing wrong with kids today.

My oldest, still in school, has probably cleared $30k already this year selling shoes, trading cards, Playstations, etc. But he also has a 20 hour a week unpaid research assistant job with a very well known environmental engineering professor at the local university - at which he’s been working 40+ hours a week. He parks a mile from the lab (because it’s free) and packs his lunch. They expect to have at least two research papers out for publication by the end of the summer. This morning he volunteered to pitch at his brother’s Little League game for kids with developmental disabilities. He has a 3.8 in chemical engineering at Purdue (2 years left). There ain’t a damn thing wrong with kids today.
Awesome on all fronts.

It looks as though new businesses may account for some of the labor shortage. 2020 was a record year for new business creation and 2021 is well ahead of that pace.

https://edition.cnn.com/business/li...ews-061621/h_25d71baa7e70d77586a05c30f8623b31

And if you don't read that story, it appears the CARES Act played a big role in creating more entrepreneurs:

Then of course there is retirement. "“At least 1.7 million more older workers than expected retired due to the pandemic recession,” the report says, defining “older” as age 55+."

Such a racket. And the last two times I've needed to print were so far apart that both times the cartridges dried out and the nozzles clogged. Buying a printer for every page I need to print is perhaps not the most economical approach...
Printer at work broken?

Reactions: hookyIU1990
interesting read and certainly seems plausible. housing/cars/gas/food needs to drop a bit and all will be good. the one year increase in these categories has been incredible. rates creep up and lumber comes down and construction resumes i think that'll help a lot, including good jobs for a significant portion of the country

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT