ADVERTISEMENT

Labor shortage

twenty02

Hall of Famer
Jan 28, 2011
Had a first tonight. Was by son's bday and he wanted BW3.... ok whatever. 6 year olds like shitty food

We show up at like 6p.... see a group waiting outside. Thought that's odd, parking lot looks not very full.

Go in, place is probably only 15% full. It was a 40 min wait as they have nobody there to work. Giant hiring sign outside for $17/hr.

We leave and go to another one about 15 mins away. This one they can seat us.... still probably about 25% capacity. Even then, the handful of people they had working could barely manage to operate the place. And this was on the day they claimed they called everyone in to work.

The pool/waterpark club we go to in the summer can't be open on Sunday so far this summer as they can't hire any lifeguards.

On the white collar side, really having terrible time filling professional jobs that are in the $80-$100k range with people that know which way is up.

Don't get me started on trying to find someone to remodel a bathroom project I've been holding off on for the last 12+ months.

Nutty times, indeed. Did everyone just decide they are done working?

Last edited:
Had a first tonight. Was by son's bday and he wanted BW3.... ok whatever. 6 year olds like shitty food

We show up at like 6p.... see a group waiting outside. Thought that's odd, parking lot looks not very full.

Go in, place is probably only 15% full. It was a 40 min wait as they have nobody there to work. Giant hiring sign outside for $17/hr.

We leave and go to another one about 15 mins away. This one they can seat us.... still probably about 25% capacity. Even then, the handful of people they had working could barely manage to operate the place. And this was on the day they claimed they called everyone in to work.

The pool/waterpark club we go to in the summer can't be open on Sunday so far this summer as they can't hire any lifeguards.

On the white collar side, really having terrible time filling professional jobs that are in the $80-$100k range with people that know which way is up.

Don't get me started on trying to find someone to remodel a bathroom project I've been holding off on for the last 12+ months.

I’m pretty confused by these kind of stories. Especially the white collar jobs.

There is no labor shortage.

The Federal Gov has cornered the market and it is tough for businesses to compete when they require actual work to be done. Gov is paying $16 - $20/hr the only work being entering some data once a week.

How does BDubs compete with that?

I’m interested to see how the states that cut boosted benefits fair. I have to imagine some of the shortages in service industry jobs will correlate with those benefits.

But the swimming pool presents something more interesting. I’ve heard this from a couple people before the OP posted. These are seasonal jobs typically held by high school and college age kids. The unemployed benefits don’t factor in here at all. Why aren’t the usual kids taking these jobs?

Reactions: vesuvius13

The reason is simple. It’s laughed at by the left but it’s true.

I’m interested to see how the states that cut boosted benefits fair. I have to imagine some of the shortages in service industry jobs will correlate with those benefits.

But the swimming pool presents something more interesting. I’ve heard this from a couple people before the OP posted. These are seasonal jobs typically held by high school and college age kids. The unemployed benefits don’t factor in here at all. Why aren’t the usual kids taking these jobs?

I was playing golf with a friend this weekend who is a GM for Toyota dealerships, has run several dealerships in different areas of the country. He's currently on the east coast. He told me he hasn't hired anyone under the age of 30 in last 4-5 years. Offers them $5k/mo base salary, entry level. As soon as they find out they have to work Saturdays they pass. He now doesn't even post in the ads the work days any longer.

Two friends have college age sons. One's college job is Tik-Tok.... makes $1-2k/mo doing fkn silly Tiktok videos and has like 120k followers. Other kid just sold his Pokémon card collection for $52k, so he's set for a while.

What a world.

My son is trying to get his business off the ground. He's working at a restaurant 4 nights/week to pay the bills until it's viable. He just changed joints because they'd guarantee his shifts would be on specific nights. $12/hour plus a % of sales. Filled out an app on a Saturday and had his first shift on the following Thursday. Places of all kinds are hurting for good help.

Reactions: vesuvius13
My son is trying to get his business off the ground. He's working at a restaurant 4 nights/week to pay the bills until it's viable. He just changed joints because they'd guarantee his shifts would be on specific nights. $12/hour plus a % of sales. Filled out an app on a Saturday and had his first shift on the following Thursday. Places of all kinds are hurting for good help.

Good for him. The BW3 situation was laughable... not even sure how they come close to operating a viable business when they can't even staff to cover 15-25% capacity.

FL is about to cut theirs. There is no one to clean the rooms or serve food for vacationers.

maybe it will be that people don't have to do shit work for shit money, also maybe the Mexicans actually contributed
There is dignity in all work.

My great grandfather raised his own kids and then my mom and her brother on what you call “shit work.” He literally cleaned out outhouses. Sharpened saws. Broke ground for gardens. Laid brick and stone. Fiddled. My great grandmother “took in laundry.” They grew their vegetables, sipped coffee from a saucer, and ate beans and cornbread every day. They lived in a 4 room shotgun house heated by one coal fireplace and the cooking stove, without indoor plumbing until the 60’s. Never had an electric washing machine and they dried their wash on a clothesline. Died in their own beds.

Work ethic. Dignity.

The ageism bias combined with being a white male is three strikes for many. Headhunters are getting some interviews but it is a long shot once they learn the demo.

Sales Execs, Marketing Execs, Sr Counsel, Engineering Leaders among others.

That's been the case for that demo for some time, long before Covid. Younger brother was a high flyer throughout his career but when he hit 50 it was like hitting a brick wall.

Reactions: iulb and DANC
That's been the case for that demo for some time, long before Covid. Younger brother was a high flyer throughout his career but when he hit 50 it was like hitting a brick wall.
why? because they command/expect too much money at that age?

There is dignity in all work.

My great grandfather raised his own kids and then my mom and her brother on what you call “shit work.” He literally cleaned out outhouses. Sharpened saws. Broke ground for gardens. Laid brick and stone. Fiddled. My great grandmother “took in laundry.” They grew their vegetables, sipped coffee from a saucer, and ate beans and cornbread every day. They lived in a 4 room shotgun house heated by one coal fireplace and the cooking stove, without indoor plumbing until the 60’s. Never had an electric washing machine and they dried their wash on a clothesline. Died in their own beds.

Work ethic. Dignity.
I agree with this but think it’s way too simplistic to blame only government cheese on the current labor market issues. I think there are likely several factors at play here. But again, we will have actual case studies we can all review once the data is in from the states that cut the excess benefits.

As someone just shy of 50 who will be in the job hunt soon, this terrifies me. I think it’s a real thing and it is part of the reason I’m being proactive and moving before I hit the big 50.

You almost act surprised. This is precisely what you voted for and what you're getting.

As someone just shy of 50 who will be in the job hunt soon, this terrifies me. I think it’s a real thing and it is part of the reason I’m being proactive and moving before I hit the big 50.
I know several people in their late 50's during 2008 who just retired. They lost work and there was no getting back in. There is plenty of data showing ageism is real. Your being proactive is very smart.

The COVID issues appear to be a little different than the real estate crash. It appears women have left the workforce in big numbers and aren't returning. Some of it is childcare, some of it is that people are rethinking priorities. And a lot is both. If one has to pay childcare to go work an $11/hour job, how much are they really netting?

Reactions: RedFan1
But you don't sharpen your own? As an aside, a chainsaw is a top 5 purchase in my lifetime. I even enjoy helping neighbors/family cut up shit. I'M IMPORTANT
Actually I do and I am pretty good and usually have friends wanting me to sharpen theirs. I was saying saws still need sharpening. Top 5? wow .

I was saying saws still need sharpening.
Metaphorically, too:

Once upon a time, there were two woodcutters named Peter and John. They were often at loggerheads over who chopped more wood. So one day, they decided to hold a competition to determine the winner. The rules were simple—whoever produce the most wood in a day wins.

So the next day morning, both of them took up their positions in the forest and started chopping away in their fastest possible speed. This lasted for an hour before Peter suddenly stopped. When John realized that there was no chopping sound from his opponent’s side, he thought: “Ah Ha! He must be tired already!” And he continued to cut down his trees with double the pace.

A quarter of an hour passed, and John heard his opponent chopping again. So both of them carried on synchronously. John was starting to feel weary when the chopping from Peter stopped once again. Feeling motivated and smelling victory close by, John continued on, with a smile on his face.

This went on the whole day. Every hour, Peter would stop chopping for fifteen minutes while John kept going relentlessly. So when the competition ended, John was absolutely confident that he would take the triumph.

But to John’s astonishment, Peter had actually cut down more wood. How did this even happen? “How could you have chopped down more trees than me? I heard you stop working every hour for fifteen minutes!”, exclaimed John.

Peter replied, “Well, it’s really simple. Every time I stopped work, while you were still chopping down trees, I was sharpening my axe.”

Axe/saw...same concept.

But you don't sharpen your own? As an aside, a chainsaw is a top 5 purchase in my lifetime. I even enjoy helping neighbors/family cut up shit. I'M IMPORTANT
brings back memories of a few years ago when we had the 90mph winds from the hurricane and had several trees down, saw several men run out of their garages with chainsaws like they were going to save the world, only 1 or 2 even knew how to start it.

Well, gee. Getting paid more to sit on your ass than work?

Money being handed out by the trillions?

Who could have foreseen this?

What an ignoramus you are.

Reactions: IUSUMMERS
Well, gee. Getting paid more to sit on your ass than work?

Money being handed out by the trillions?

Who could have foreseen this?

What an ignoramus you arbut.

Not to start a fight here, but you would be mad at someone for getting paid more if they made more money sitting at home then working a dead end job like at a restraint? Shouldn't the job pay more to entice the unemployed to want to work there?

How is that smart thinking money wise for the individual at home?

Lefties don’t give a shit about work ethic or the dignity of working. Jealousy and anger at all who work their asses off to get ahead. Take their money and give free stuff to others. I am really sick and tired of it and also the assholes who will shout names at me for saying what I said.
I guarantee I have worked just as hard and just as long (if not harder and longer) as you, Stoll, so climb off that cross you seem fit to hang around on, and lighten the fvck up.
(BTW, my wife has worked just as hard and long as you, as well...and somehow we have managed to stay happily married for over 33 years and still going, to boot...so stick that in your corncob pipe and smoke it.)

Reactions: Circlejoe
Actually I do and I am pretty good and usually have friends wanting me to sharpen theirs. I was saying saws still need sharpening. Top 5? wow .

I've had double digit trees come down on my property (which is less than an acre) in under 10 years. That doesn't count the ones I had to have professionally taken down.

I enjoy dismembering their fallen comrades. And I don't even use the wood. I give it away. I hate trees.

Not to start a fight here, but you would be mad at someone for getting paid more if they made more money sitting at home then working a dead end job like at a restraint? Shouldn't the job pay more to entice the unemployed to want to work there?

How is that smart thinking money wise for the individual at home?
I think most of the anger at that point should be directed at those who are borrowing trillions of dollars in the credit of our children and grandchildren so that people can sit at home when there is clearly work available literally everywhere. That being said, yeah, we should be angry at people who are capable of working but won't.

Bunch of entitled assholes, "well that job does not pay enough", well, in a just world it would pay more than the zero that your lazy ass should be receiving to sit at home. There is a time and place for welfare, this ain't it.

Twenty's original post says that BW3 is offering above what all the lefties have been saying is a "fair" minimum wage by a few dollars an hour. And people are turning it down...not because the wage is not good at that point, but because the extra $80 a week is not worth it to get off their lazy ass. Why go to all that trouble to go earn your money when a little scrimping here and there can let you be at home all day?

It would be one thing if we were in the middle of a depression and work was hard to come by, but you cannot go out these days without tripping on a help wanted sign. And last I checked we had 11 million people collecting unemployment. That is not hard times, it is lazy, mooching, dickheads.

Why should the government be taking money from taxpayers to pay lazy ass people to set at home and take free stuff?

And BTW I know many people with work ethic that took those dead end jobs long enough until they found a career.

I know one that I play golf with daily in the summer that started off working a job for a franchise in Bloomington working for barely minimum wage. The owner of that franchise loved his work ethic and enthusiasm. The owner eventually sold that franchise to him on contract and my friend now owns franchises all over the country. I guess he could have been a whiny lib and set his ass at home and collected welfare. Btw this same friend lost his mom when his dad shot her and then shot himself. He ended up adopted and never finished high school. He had lots of excuses to be a sorry ass whiny liberal. He chose something else.
so only dems collect unemployment? check the actual stats

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
ADVERTISEMENT