ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle Hart

Dec 29, 2008
Kyle Hart pitched a shutout today in his first Triple A start for Pawtucket. He only allowed five hits. Earlier this year he threw the first six and two thirds innings of a combined no hitter at Double A Portland.

The Pawtucket announcers were very complimentary of Hart and mentioned several times about his play at IU along with Sam Travis and Kyle Schwarber. If I had a way of contacting the announcer I would also tell him about Josh Ockimey 's planning to play at Bloomington until the Red Sox drafted him in the fifth round and him forgoing college to play pro.

I have all of the former IU players bookmarked on milb.com. Hart looks to be one of them with the best chance to make it to the bigs. I really am surprised by Travis. Thought he was a lock, but looks like is just coming up a little bit shy.

I think the lack of power shown by Travis has hurt his chances, because of playing at a power position at first base. He only had nine homers last season and didn't hit for a big average.

I remember seeing Fernando Valenzuela's son play for Fort Wayne at first base. He was a nice player, played good defense and had a good average. But I questioned if he would ever make the majors without home run power. And he didn't make it.

I think the lack of power shown by Travis has hurt his chances, because of playing at a power position at first base. He only had nine homers last season and didn't hit for a big average.

I remember seeing Fernando Valenzuela's son play for Fort Wayne at first base. He was a nice player, played good defense and had a good average. But I questioned if he would ever make the majors without home run power. And he didn't make it.
Idk....people talk about that but I think it is just that he hasn't hit. He got some chances with the Sox and he was batting like below .200. And now at Pawtucket he hasn't done much the last couple of years, hitting in the low .200's. He was up near and over .300 his whole minor league career before that. And I actually think that he has tried to increase his power cuz that's what they have told him. and it has affected his hitting and average. Now, he has no shot because the power hasn't come and his average has plummeted.

They tried to have Travis adjust his swing to do the launch angle and it didn't work for him. He is playing some left field now, but it might be hard for him to make it back to Boston.

Hart had his Tommy John surgery in 2014. It Is hard not to imagine how we might have done at the end of that season with Hart and Ryan Halstead pitching.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT