ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle Filipowski to Duke. Ouch

Unfortunately, we haven’t landed a player of his caliber in a very long time.

It's probably going to take some time. While we hear the news of recruiting as it's announced, it is obviously a fairly long process, most of which doesn't make its way into reports.

Duke is obviously in a very different place than we are. And one of the strategic motivations for the hire they've made, and the timeline, is to have as much continuity and as little uncertainty as possible. Being able to land commits like this is why.

Yeah, but I mean outside of those guys...

Monty-Python-Canvas-Print-412x600_grande.jpeg

I thought IU was way out in front of the competition on the NIL front? Leading the way so to speak. Is that not the case?
so what, you think we'll instantly get every recruit we want just because of that? It's brand new, so at this point no one can claim "leadership" as there is no track record. It does seem IU took it seriously and does have good programs and guidance in place, but other schools will be doing the same and the elites are going to be at the head of the pack and have more of a national audience to draw from than IU. I think it is going to be a net positive for IU with the fanbase we have, but there's no doubt it would be much larger if we'd had national and tourney success to go along with our homegrown and alumni fans. Relax Chicken Little... I mean Bird!

I've read some of what this kid has said about his visits and he never spoke about IU other than being asked directly and then it was more standard quote.....he seemed to think very highly of Duke and think its a coach k carryover effect.....new coach, new system, don't know what the team is gonna look like, I get it, right now Duke looks a lot better to kids outside this state with their success, a kid like this will cash in on NIL wherever he goes so he goes on recent success...CMW has done a great job with what little time he has been here including getting to start earlier because of the bahama tour....im interested in seeing the hustle and desire in the team CMW instills in these kids and then see what happens 4-5 years down the road when we go after the highly rated recruits

I've read some of what this kid has said about his visits and he never spoke about IU other than being asked directly and then it was more standard quote.....he seemed to think very highly of Duke and think its a coach k carryover effect.....new coach, new system, don't know what the team is gonna look like, I get it, right now Duke looks a lot better to kids outside this state with their success, a kid like this will cash in on NIL wherever he goes so he goes on recent success...CMW has done a great job with what little time he has been here including getting to start earlier because of the bahama tour....im interested in seeing the hustle and desire in the team CMW instills in these kids and then see what happens 4-5 years down the road when we go after the highly rated recruits
Is Dane fife still in assistant?

Scherer gets Filipowski. That sucks

We're 2 over for '22, eligibility-wise. TJD & Thompson are probably gone next year. Maybe Kopp as well? Any thoughts as to how many we take if they want to come? Hood-Schifino & Clowney look like the best chances?

We're 2 over for '22, eligibility-wise. TJD & Thompson are probably gone next year. Maybe Kopp as well? Any thoughts as to how many we take if they want to come? Hood-Schifino & Clowney look like the best chances?
Would like a PG in this class as well as a big. JHS and Clowney makes sense if they want to come but I wouldn't reach. Will be viable options in the portal as well.

High school recruiting doesn’t matter nearly as much with the new transfer rules. We did very well in the portal this year, and there is no reason not to expect that moving forward. Grab a couple talented kids out of high school, but hit the portal hard.

Reactions: IUgradman
Scherer gets Filipowski. That sucks
He was always a Dookie lean, and probably OAD. Need some kids who want to stick around and win with a team. It'll take some time, but it'll happen with CMW, or not at all.

Was hopeful with Crean and Miller, but for some reason am very optimistic with Woodson. Can't wait to see this team on the floor.

so what, you think we'll instantly get every recruit we want just because of that? It's brand new, so at this point no one can claim "leadership" as there is no track record. It does seem IU took it seriously and does have good programs and guidance in place, but other schools will be doing the same and the elites are going to be at the head of the pack and have more of a national audience to draw from than IU. I think it is going to be a net positive for IU with the fanbase we have, but there's no doubt it would be much larger if we'd had national and tourney success to go along with our homegrown and alumni fans. Relax Chicken Little... I mean Bird!
He was always a Duke lean even before they offered. The scuttle but was if Duke offered he would accept and that is exactly what happened. Everyone except you knew this was the case If you were paying attention to his recruitment. There have been many inferences in his recruitment that Duke was the team to beat but he didn’t have an offer from them yet when he visited IU and the other schools. He liked IU, however, he is just going to the school he always wanted to go to after they finally offered. We were in the lead until Duke offered so you are right there.

Unless something unforeseen happens TJD will be gone. Outside of him we have, I believe, 5 others who will have been in college 4 or more years. I personally wouldn’t be shocked to see 3 or 4 of them move on. So that would be a class of 4 or 5. We have 2 so I would expect us to look for 1-2 more and then wait and see about transfers. I trust our coaches to have their finger on the pulse of who will stay and go.

Personally I believe both TJD and Race will be gone leaving only Durr and Duncomb down low. I would also expect at least one of our PGs to move on after the pecking order is established this year and another to follow the year after (potentially both). So I would like to see another 4/5 and a pg or pg/sg this class. Of course we could wait for transfers for one of those spots.

I think we will have at least 5 scholarships available for next year, maybe more if an underclass man transfers

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT