ADVERTISEMENT

KY FB series need to return

I think that's a Really bad idea...

I recall many a promising INDIANA Football TEAM playing those cheapshot artist, inbred, redneck, moonshiners and..., even when we won..., losing multiple players to cheap shot injuries, some for the entire season..., thus trashing our chances against the good teams later on the schedule..., and ruining an otherwise promising season...

In my opinion, you play the Eastern Illinois type teams as preseason warmups not so much for the semi-sure W but for mainly for less wear and tear on the players leading up to the Big Ten, East Division schedule while honing their edge to get ready for the " being in a car wreck every weekend" type of physical grind they are forced to endure throughout the Big Ten East schedule...

Now I'd like to watch us smash Kentucky as much as the next guy but I vote to wait to see them in the Bowl game where their cheap shot antics can't destroy an otherwise promising season...

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
I'd like to see the series come back.

I know schedules are set years in advance, but if IU continues to improve, it'll be important to transition away from three 90%-win out-of-conference games and towards two 90%ers & one closer to 50/50 or 60/40. I'd put UK in that level.

If IU were ever able to really make that breakthrough high in the next "level," it would be time to go with the one cupcake, one decent (like UK), and one marquee game each year.

They shouldn't schedule it for the fun of it, it should be part of a strategic plan to improve the team profile. And they should take care to not get too aggressive and end up painting themselves into a corner.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
Louisville is coming up on the schedule

So is Cinnci and they are both potential program stunters in my opinion...

If you're playing a Big Ten East schedule (which we are), you are already playing one of the toughest schedules in the country, year in year out, and going out of your way to add to that type of degree of difficulty is less than helpful for long term program development...

If and when we are regularly winning 10 + games a season, then and only then do you make an effort to add more difficulty to the schedule..., in my opinion... Doing so sooner is just working against yourself...

If you're playing a Big Ten East schedule (which we are), you are already playing one of the toughest schedules in the country, year in year out, and going out of your way to add to that type of degree of difficulty is less than helpful for long term program development...

If and when we are regularly winning 10 + games a season, then and only then do you make an effort to add more difficulty to the schedule..., in my opinion... Doing so sooner is just working against yourself...
Having Cinci in '21 & '22 is a bad break. But if there's any consolation, IU will be peaking as a program at the right time to take on those kinds of challenges.

And as long as IU would show out well with another top-15ish ranked team, it's not necessarily a stunter if IU is able to consistently win in the B1G and pick of at least 1 of the big 3 in the East and/or their West games. That may be asking a lot, but a consistent 8 game winner is unheard of at IU and would be a dream come true.

Having Cinci in '21 & '22 is a bad break. But if there's any consolation, IU will be peaking as a program at the right time to take on those kinds of challenges.

And as long as IU would show out well with another top-15ish ranked team, it's not necessarily a stunter if IU is able to consistently win in the B1G and pick of at least 1 of the big 3 in the East and/or their West games. That may be asking a lot, but a consistent 8 game winner is unheard of at IU and would be a dream come true.

In my opinion, getting a consistent 8+ game winner becomes exponentially more difficult when we go out of our way to add teams like Cincinnati, Louisville and/or Kentucky on the front end of our already murders row schedule...

As with Kentucky..., even if and when we beat Louisville and Cinnci you run a much higher risk of losing multiple key players to injury for multiple games than you do against a smaller, slower opponent... (and I know Louisville has a garbage record right now but if you've watched them you know they're getting better every snap, that coach is the real deal [and they dodged an overpriced bullet]... The other danger with Louisville is that they can recruit guys that couldn't get into IU ...) .

Last edited:
This was THE game for us Southern Indiana people...It was never about the Purdue game for those of us from below Seymour, I promise you that.
Yep. Could still care less about Purdue. Other than the engineer or ag people, there are no Purdue fans down in this neck of the woods.

Yep. Could still care less about Purdue. Other than the engineer or ag people, there are no Purdue fans down in this neck of the woods.

You guys are really missing out when it comes to the Bucket game...

You guys are really missing out when it comes to the Bucket game...
I'm not now, I know what it means now. Lolol...However, Kentucky game is much bigger than the Purdue game for the people way down state. Ask anybody from the southern end of Indiana, they'll tell you as much.

The bucket game is fine, I just don’t have the deep hatred for them. It was always about getting that barrel and winning that basketball game in December. There are so many bandwagon U.K. fans down here and it’s obnoxious.

I believe the last time we played UK was an IU win while I was in school. Rumor was Bill Mallory took the trophy (bourbon barrel?) and nobody has seen it since.

I don't think Fickell will be there after this year. Things could change in a hurry. UC has never been able to keep a successful football coach. I personally like picking up UC and UofL. Would love to get UK back on the schedule. Just not all at the same time. One tougher OOC game is fine. But the SEC needs to add another conference game as well.

I believe the last time we played UK was an IU win while I was in school. Rumor was Bill Mallory took the trophy (bourbon barrel?) and nobody has seen it since.
Without looking, I think it was scheduled for right after 9-11 and got postponed until the end of the year.

Without looking, I think it was scheduled for right after 9-11 and got postponed until the end of the year.

Nah we played them during the Hep era I think. That was the last time we played them. Night game. I thought the barrel was on display in a trophy case. I swear I saw it around 2010 or so.

Nah we played them during the Hep era I think. That was the last time we played them. Night game. I thought the barrel was on display in a trophy case. I swear I saw it around 2010 or so.

Bill Lynch was the coach and he had Bill Mallory speak to the team prior to warmups (his speech was shown pregame on the Big Screen)... We kicked their collective a--es from kickoff to final gun... It was a thing of beauty... Even the halftime band program was entertainingly humorous (poking fun at the visiting Kentuckians)... It was a perfect way to END the series... That's how I recall it...

The only place we ought to play them again is in a Bowl game..., if we have any commonsense...

//- It's starting to look like the same guy who had Dinardos' team play Away at Washington (west coast) and Away at Connecticut (east coast) on consecutive Saturdays (or someone who thinks like him) is back in charge of scheduling...-\\

Edit: the HC was Hep not B.L.
- Thanks, 4IUSox2

Last edited:
I don't think Fickell will be there after this year. Things could change in a hurry. UC has never been able to keep a successful football coach. I personally like picking up UC and UofL. Would love to get UK back on the schedule. Just not all at the same time. One tougher OOC game is fine. But the SEC needs to add another conference game as well.

I just hope you guys who are clamoring for bigger names on the preseason schedule remember this conversation when you're leading the charge to fire the Staff because they missed going to Bowl games (by one loss ]after losing key players in a meaningless preseason game]...) in back to back seasons...

Last edited:
Last UK game had Hep as HC under the lights in '05. Lynch was OC or QB coach at that point.

While nice to have a winning series record, IU lost 9 of the last 11. Some close ones and some blow outs.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Last UK game had Hep as HC under the lights in '05. Lynch was OC or QB coach at that point.

While nice to have a winning series record, IU lost 9 of the last 11. Some close ones and some blow outs.

I stand corrected (on the HC)... Could have sworn it was BL...

I just hope you guys who are clamoring for bigger names on the preseason schedule remember this conversation when you're leading the charge to fire the Staff because they missed going to Bowl games (by one loss ]after losing key players in a meaningless preseason game]...) in back to back seasons...

That is complete BS. I have never led a charge to fire any coach on his board. I said one good OOC opponent is good. I think the Wake Forrest, Virginia etc we have had on the schedule have been perfect fits and they make bowl games from P5 conferences. We are looking forward. You are looking back.

That is complete BS. I have never led a charge to fire any coach on his board. I said one good OOC opponent is good. I think the Wake Forrest, Virginia etc we have had on the schedule have been perfect fits and they make bowl games from P5 conferences. We are looking forward. You are looking back.

If you don't know your history you're doomed to repeat it.

Reactions: IU Fan 1989
If you don't know your history you're doomed to repeat it.
Look at the future schedules for OSU, UM, & PSU. They're scheduling at least 1 straight up HEAVYWEIGHT each year.

We're not at their level. We don't need to try and set up a home & home with Clemson. But if we want IU to move beyond the scrappy "little football team that could" image of taking 3 cupcakes & trying to break .500 in B1G play, then eventually there needs to be a strategic scheduling plan to become a "bigger" presence in national college football.

It should happen too quickly. We shouldn't put the cart before the horse, so to speak. But a incrementally tougher non-con and more competitive conference performance is the next step for the program.

Look at the future schedules for OSU, UM, & PSU. They're scheduling at least 1 straight up HEAVYWEIGHT each year.

We're not at their level. We don't need to try and set up a home & home with Clemson. But if we want IU to move beyond the scrappy "little football team that could" image of taking 3 cupcakes & trying to break .500 in B1G play, then eventually there needs to be a strategic scheduling plan to become a "bigger" presence in national college football.

It should happen too quickly. We shouldn't put the cart before the horse, so to speak. But a incrementally tougher non-con and more competitive conference performance is the next step for the program.

How many people remember (or paid any attention what so ever) to Minnesotas pre-Big Ten schedule last year (2019)??? I'll tell how many... Nobody... At the end of the season all anyone saw (or remembers) was that glossy 11-2 record... Playing South Dakota State, a down Fresno State and Georgia Southern didn't hurt them one iota...

It's a process, if we try to pretend we're Alabama without Alabamas depth on both sides of the ball, we will find that we can't replace those first and second team guys who got injured playing in an otherwise meaningless preseason game and aren't able to go when it matters during the Big Ten schedule..., and you know what(?), it won't be their fault, or the coaching staffs fault, when we drop games we shouldn't have because key guys are injured and unavailable..., it will be on whoever is responsible for dreaming up these fantasy schedules (along with the people who pushed them to do it), without any regard to the type of extra wear and tear these early top team tests puts on the players...

How many people remember (or paid any attention what so ever) to Minnesotas pre-Big Ten schedule last year (2019)??? I'll tell how many... Nobody... At the end of the season all anyone saw (or remembers) was that glossy 11-2 record... Playing South Dakota State, a down Fresno State and Georgia Southern didn't hurt them one iota...

It's a process, if we try to pretend we're Alabama without Alabamas depth on both sides of the ball, we will find that we can't replace those first and second team guys who got injured playing in an otherwise meaningless preseason game and aren't able to go when it matters during the Big Ten schedule..., and you know what(?), it won't be their fault, or the coaching staffs fault, when we drop games we shouldn't have because key guys are injured and unavailable..., it will be on whoever is responsible for dreaming up these fantasy schedules (along with the people who pushed them to do it), without any regard to the type of extra wear and tear these early top team tests puts on the players...

there’s a big difference between Alabama and UK or Cincy.

Reactions: TMFT
DiPrimio article:

Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT