ADVERTISEMENT

Kudos to the crowd

Everybody wants to go to a game that is a sellout. And in general, I think everybody is going to be a lot more excited and loud at a game that is a sellout.

When expectations are that half the people are gonna leave by the beginning of the fourth quarter that same loud excited person at the sellout is probably thinking that they should leave early and beat the traffic.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
I was there and it looked sparse thru the first quarter, but then filled up pretty good. Kind of a strange game, though. Turnovers and weird tips into Terps hands, one for a TD. MD got pretty much every break and still couldn’t capitalize.
I was worried the whole game. It seemed we just couldn’t put them away. That 75 yard TD run was awful.
But our guys just kept taking hits and swinging back. RBs seem to get an extra 1-2 yards when hit by 2-3 guys at the line of scrimmage. Tough group of guys.
Now ice baths, fluids, and focus on NW.

I was worried the whole game. It seemed we just couldn’t put them away. That 75 yard TD run was awful.
But our guys just kept taking hits and swinging back. RBs seem to get an extra 1-2 yards when hit by 2-3 guys at the line of scrimmage. Tough group of guys.
Now ice baths, fluids, and focus on NW.
Actually a dose or 2 of adversity is exactly what I wanted to see this team respond to. I believe it really rounds out their tremendous work ethic.

At kickoff, it was 80% full in the student section and maybe 60% in the rest. But it did keep filling in. 90% in the student section and 75% everywhere else.

But also, the crowd stayed and was the loudest it's been this season. Everyone came back after halftime and almost everyone stayed to the end, even when we went up 3 scores.

At kickoff, it was 80% full in the student section and maybe 60% in the rest. But it did keep filling in. 90% in the student section and 75% everywhere else.

But also, the crowd stayed and was the loudest it's been this season. Everyone came back after halftime and almost everyone stayed to the end, even when we went up 3 scores.
I’ll tell you, today was the day the casual fans believed. They had the turnovers. They couldn’t get ahead 2 possessions. They made a few bad penalties on 3rd down. Everyone was expecting old IU. When we went up 2 scores, it was like everyone believed finally. Buck said the same thing on the radio. Everyone was just waiting for the Lucy and the football moment.

I’ll tell you, today was the day the casual fans believed. They had the turnovers. They couldn’t get ahead 2 possessions. They made a few bad penalties on 3rd down. Everyone was expecting old IU. When we went up 2 scores, it was like everyone believed finally. Buck said the same thing on the radio. Everyone was just waiting for the Lucy and the football moment.
It seemed like that to me after the Cooper TD before halftime. Half of the crowd didn't even leave their seats at halftime.

Was the best atmosphere for an iu home game I’ve been at in years despite the rain. The crowd, especially the students, were really into it. Even the non-students on the east side, stood much of the second half. And the crowd noise on Maryland’s many big third and fourth downs in the fourth quarter was great to hear.

Mr Rourke has been terrific this year, but hope to see him slide when he scrambles out of the pocket with defenders nearing him. That fumble was unnecessary as he should have already slid down. IU receivers can sure put on a clinic on how to strongly catch and high point balls. So impressed with this deep position group.

D, very good considering the O turned it over 4 times. Nice block by the ref on the 75-yard MD TD run.

Last edited:
Was the best atmosphere for an iu home game I’ve been at in years despite the rain. The crowd, especially the students, were really into it. Even the non-students on the east side, stood much of the second half. And the crowd noise on Maryland’s many big third and fourth downs in the fourth quarter was great to hear.

Mr Rourke has been terrific this year, but hope to see him slide when he scrambles out of the pocket with defenders nearing him. That fumble was unnecessary as he should have already slid down. IU receivers can sure put on a clinic on how to strongly catch and high point balls.

D, very good considering the O turned it over 4 times. Nice block by the ref on the 75-yard MD TD run.
Yes no MD points after IU TOs was huge.

I was there and it looked sparse thru the first quarter, but then filled up pretty good. Kind of a strange game, though. Turnovers and weird tips into Terps hands, one for a TD. MD got pretty much every break and still couldn’t capitalize.

When’s the last time you remember an IU team dominating the LOS? We played more physical and just wore and beat down a MD team with just as much talent, arguably more.

Last edited:
That is one helluva great message from Coach Cig. Perfectly stated.
And another memorable quote of coach adding to his blossoming portfolio …
”This isn’t the end. It’s just the beginning!”

I like that kind of enthusiasm. May it continue to grow among us, in both volume and in numbers!

People stayed because it was fun.

Competitive game that wasn't determined til the end.

Decent opponent.

Mid 60's temps that were kinda pleasant with the mister on. 😄

And we won.

That's what games should be like...not 79-2 blowouts designed to get you to the Detroit Bowl if you're lucky.

People stayed because it was fun.

Competitive game that wasn't determined til the end.

Decent opponent.

Mid 60's temps that were kinda pleasant with the mister on. 😄

And we won.

That's what games should be like...not 79-2 blowouts designed to get you to the Detroit Bowl if you're lucky.
Next year we should definitely play Alabama, Clemson and Texas in the non-conference. 🙄🙄🙄

I was like a lot of folks and waited until the last minute to go to my seat. I'll admit that I was not real excited about going yesterday and I gave some thought to just watching on TV ( though not serious thought). My wife battled a nasty sinus infection all week last week and opted out. My buddy who occasionally takes her ticket if unused decided to stay home and dry as well ( and now very much regrets it btw). I'm not a fan of sitting in the rain for anything at any time so I arrived a little later than usual and waited in my car until ten minutes before kickoff. It was good to walk in and see that big student crowd. It helped that the rain was mostly drizzle and not a pouring, driving, noise-cancelling deluge. Definitely a lot of fun.

For the first time in a few years, I'm disappointed to not have a game to attend the next two weeks. If I can talk someone into popping for a ticket and making the drive with me, I still might consider making the trek to Evanston.

I was at the game. 20 minutes before kickoff it did not look promising. By kickoff it had filled in quite nicely. Amazing atmosphere compared to other games I’ve attended. Let’s keep it rolling!
By midway thru the first, it was a great crowd. And it remained that way until the final gun. The South Endzone “Suites” really paid off. Stayed very dry and had a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

I was like a lot of folks and waited until the last minute to go to my seat. I'll admit that I was not real excited about going yesterday and I gave some thought to just watching on TV ( though not serious thought). My wife battled a nasty sinus infection all week last week and opted out. My buddy who occasionally takes her ticket if unused decided to stay home and dry as well ( and now very much regrets it btw). I'm not a fan of sitting in the rain for anything at any time so I arrived a little later than usual and waited in my car until ten minutes before kickoff. It was good to walk in and see that big student crowd. It helped that the rain was mostly drizzle and not a pouring, driving, noise-cancelling deluge. Definitely a lot of fun.

For the first time in a few years, I'm disappointed to not have a game to attend the next two weeks. If I can talk someone into popping for a ticket and making the drive with me, I still might consider making the trek to Evanston.
Those tickets are super expensive, due to the fact their temporary “stadium” only holds 15,000

There were still tickets thru NU ticket office a few weeks ago.
I know IU people who bought 8 in one pop. No problem. Didn’t ask the price. Wasn’t sold out even at that low a capacity. Maybe only on the secondary market by now.

There were still tickets thru NU ticket office a few weeks ago.
I know IU people who bought 8 in one pop. No problem. Didn’t ask the price. Wasn’t sold out even at that low a capacity. Maybe only on the secondary market by now.
Yea. Tickets are available on the NW site, you can just buy them see link below. Pricey but these are face value. Some are cheaper than StubHub.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT