ADVERTISEMENT

Kopp Commits to IU

It is just a few steps out of the gate but you have to love Woodson et al so far.
I certainly have no complaints - at least, nothing that’s in his control.

But, as you say, we’re just out of the gate. And every seed planted off the court has to ultimately bear fruit on it. I’m cautiously, and patiently, optimistic.

Wow our roster is stacked with shooters. This is the most talented roster I can think of since the Bob Knight days.
Whoa, let’s not get out over our skis here.

I mean, it wasn’t all that long ago that we had two of the top 4 picks in the draft on our roster....to go along with a pretty strong supporting cast. We also had the likes of Bryant and Anunoby, etal.

I’m happy with what’s transpired over the past 5 weeks, too. But this kind of praise seems premature.

Wow our roster is stacked with shooters. This is the most talented roster I can think of since the Bob Knight days.
Might want to tap the brakes just a tad. People are talking about winning the Big 10, top 15 rankings, and ”most talented” rosters and the ink is barely dry on MW’s contract and we’re months away from a practice or game.

Might want to tap the brakes just a tad. People are talking about winning the Big 10, top 15 rankings, and ”most talented” rosters and the ink is barely dry on MW’s contract and we’re months away from a practice or game.
We're fans, not reporters. No point in not going hog wild.

We're fans, not reporters. No point in not going hog wild.
Of course there’s a point in not going hog wild.

I’m all for having and keeping to expectations that are generally in the direction we want. I think we’ve struggled with having appropriate expectations — some seem wildly unrealistic, others seem to be non-existent.

Expectations are good, but they have to be tethered to reality.

We had two top 5 draft picks, a 5* freshman, and 2 veteran seniors all not that long ago. Roster is upgraded from last year that's for sure but we've had plenty more "talented" rosters since Knight.
Definantly not the best 1-7 roster going back that for, but I think spots 9-13 are by far the best they have been in a while. It appears that all 13 are legitimate big ten caliber players which has not happened in a while

Of course there’s a point in not going hog wild.

I’m all for having and keeping to expectations that are generally in the direction we want. I think we’ve struggled with having appropriate expectations — some seem wildly unrealistic, others seem to be non-existent.

Expectations are good, but they have to be tethered to reality.
With expectations come reality and vice versa. That being said, Woodson has constructed a very complete roster heading into his first year. IU returns an All-American, a very serviceable F in Race Thompson, adds two proven P5 transfers, another transfer with P5 experience who was a big time scorer at the low-major level, and adds a top 50 wing.

There's no reason to think IU shouldn't make the tournament next year and make it comfortably. I think a mid-pack finish in the B10 is a reasonable expectation and honestly IU has the horses to compete in the upper fourth. On paper I would say Michigan, Maryland, Ohio State, and Purdue all appear to be stronger and after that it's wide open. The B10 doesn't appear to be the meat grinder that it was last year with a bunch of the top dogs leaving and that bodes well for Indiana.

With expectations come reality and vice versa. That being said, Woodson has constructed a very complete roster heading into his first year. IU returns an All-American, a very serviceable F in Race Thompson, adds two proven P5 transfers, another transfer with P5 experience who was a big time scorer at the low-major level, and adds a top 50 wing.

There's no reason to think IU shouldn't make the tournament next year and make it comfortably. I think a mid-pack finish in the B10 is a reasonable expectation and honestly IU has the horses to compete in the upper fourth. On paper I would say Michigan, Maryland, Ohio State, and Purdue all appear to be stronger and after that it's wide open. The B10 doesn't appear to be the meat grinder that it was last year with a bunch of the top dogs leaving and that bodes well for Indiana.
No disagreement there. I believe those are realistic expectations, given where we’re starting from after the coaching change.

I’d be satisfied with a mid-pack conference finish and a tourney bid. That kind of result would clearly be a step in the right direction.

Reactions: mk23
Whoa, let’s not get out over our skis here.

I mean, it wasn’t all that long ago that we had two of the top 4 picks in the draft on our roster....to go along with a pretty strong supporting cast. We also had the likes of Bryant and Anunoby, etal.

I’m happy with what’s transpired over the past 5 weeks, too. But this kind of praise seems premature.
yeah in fairness, the 2012-2013 roster was the perfect roster to get to the F4. Crean just wore them into the ground and then failed to notice that Cuse occasionally will throw a zone at you.

Reactions: mk23 and UncleMark
Shooters are overated just give Archie more time, it took Tony Bennett 5 years to get things going. Love the apologists (you know who you are!!!!!!!)

For me the shooting bar is tragically lower. I hope we at least draw iron on wide open threes when the game is on the line. Been watching unbelievable air balls for way too long. I mean how can you not hit the rim at least? You practice every day. LMAO. Exciting times. Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and mk23
Definantly not the best 1-7 roster going back that for, but I think spots 9-13 are by far the best they have been in a while. It appears that all 13 are legitimate big ten caliber players which has not happened in a while
Well, since the little fella here previously figured there was no reason to even have an 11-13, I’d say that’s kinda accurate.

So you’re saying the players knew about the ten mill buyout? I hadn’t heard that before.
No. I’m saying it was unreasonable to think IU wouldn’t make a move. The buyout isn’t a lump sum. Add in the fact the team was booed off the floor in their last game. You don’t run a big time collegiate program and say “we don’t have the money to make a move”. Opportunity cost is higher than the monthly buyout payment

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT