ADVERTISEMENT

Kool aid vs reality

I think he will be more than adequate, especially along side with Bailey.

He's 5'10". I'm sure he's a good player, but not sure he's big enough for the Big Ten.

We had one of those last year - good player, transfer from Georgia Tech. TD Roof. He was decent, but I think he got overwhelmed and transfered out.

He's 5'10". I'm sure he's a good player, but not sure he's big enough for the Big Ten.

We had one of those last year - good player, transfer from Georgia Tech. TD Roof. He was decent, but I think he got overwhelmed and transfered out.
I can't speak for the Roof kid at IU, but the MIKE is so much about the mental side of it that i have confidence he will be just fine. I also think his Dad is smart enough to not put his kid in a bad situation (and is probably more aware of what he can do than anyone else).

I'm not saying he's going to be first team all B1G or anything, but i don't think he will be a liability and will at least hold down the fort.

With Bailey (who probably will be first team all B1G ... or at least in the conversation) and Barnes (who's no slouch), LB is the least of our concerns.

Now, depth at the interior DL ... yeah, that was a problem last year and will continue to be a problem this year unless some of the younger guys step up.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I can't speak for the Roof kid at IU, but the MIKE is so much about the mental side of it that i have confidence he will be just fine. I also think his Dad is smart enough to not put his kid in a bad situation (and is probably more aware of what he can do than anyone else).

I'm not saying he's going to be first team all B1G or anything, but i don't think he will be a liability and will at least hold down the fort.

With Bailey (who probably will be first team all B1G ... or at least in the conversation) and Barnes (who's no slouch), LB is the least of our concerns.

Now, depth at the interior DL ... yeah, that was a problem last year and will continue to be a problem this year unless some of the younger guys step up.
Well, we'll see. There's a reason he wasn't a P5 recruit. Not many 5'10" guys are playing LB for P5 teams.

To expand on my original point: Purdue did not have a "good" OL when Sindelar was the starting QB with a torn ACL. While it worries me a tad, i have faith that any issues can and will be schemed around. I'm not saying Sindelar is going to light the world on fire, but I don't think OL play will be any new shock as opposed to previous years.
This is a logical argument. Brohm can scheme around his team’s issues. However, I think we should see early how they look because I think Blough covered for an already bad OL.

I’m trying to be objective here as an IU fan, but I’m not sure any team in the conference has as much win variance as PU could have. I think they could win as many as 9 or as few as 5-6. I think missing OSU, Michigan and MSU makes the higher end possible. I also think PSU and Nebraska are getting a bit too much hype. We’ll see how it plays out.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
I couldn’t agree more... one reason I’m optimistic is Allen’s teams have never lacked effort. We just have to avoid the Iowa like performance of last year... and capitalize when we have a Penn St on the ropes like last year..

11 days...
I’m not sure why the Hoosiers are getting a free pass on the disaster at Minnesota last year. Apparently people have blocked out that the Minnesota quarterback was a freshman substitute who wasstarting his first game. The Hoosiers were deep in a hole before it was realized they were allowed to pass the ball. And then after getting a lead they gave up another touchdown pass late in the game. Then Ramsey through an interception and then the Hoosier defense sealed it with another unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

This is a logical argument. Brohm can scheme around his team’s issues. However, I think we should see early how they look because I think Blough covered for an already bad OL.

I’m trying to be objective here as an IU fan, but I’m not sure any team in the conference has as much win variance as PU could have. I think they could win as many as 9 or as few as 5-6. I think missing OSU, Michigan and MSU makes the higher end possible. I also think PSU and Nebraska are getting a bit too much hype. We’ll see how it plays out.
Brohm is the best Big Ten coach in 20 years not named Urban Meyer.

Brohm is the best Big Ten coach in 20 years not named Urban Meyer.
Yeah, 13-13...Brilliant.

Listen, I like him and think he’s a terrific offensive mind, but to make that statement with the results he’s had thus far is laughable, imo. If he turns PU into a juggernaut in the west then maybe I’ll change my opinion. Right now, he’s been good, not great.

Palm Beach, you are both right. Early in the Iowa game there was an unsportmanlike penalty the TV guys said was on an assistant coach. PI against IU, I think. Later in the game there was one on Allen also. Think he was complaining about one of our receivers being held on a 3rd or 4th down. Both are unacceptable. Lack of control of your own sideline. Allen needs to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Yeah, 13-13...Brilliant.

Listen, I like him and think he’s a terrific offensive mind, but to make that statement with the results he’s had thus far is laughable, imo. If he turns PU into a juggernaut in the west then maybe I’ll change my opinion. Right now, he’s been good, not great.
Look what he inherited. When he eventually takes an elite job he’s going to be right there with the elites. I hope that’s sooner rather than later.

Palm Beach, you are both right. Early in the Iowa game there was an unsportmanlike penalty the TV guys said was on an assistant coach. PI against IU, I think. Later in the game there was one on Allen also. Think he was complaining about one of our receivers being held on a 3rd or 4th down. Both are unacceptable. Lack of control of your own sideline. Allen needs to make sure that doesn't happen again.

I really don't have a problem with Allen complaining enough to get that call.

I don't recall much detail about the Iowa game (and only watched a quarter of its recent replay) but I do know that when we play either M$U or MI our receivers hopefully have done their work in the weight room because they're certain to be carrying an extra couple hundred pounds (of opposition DB) on their backs all game long...

He probably had good reason to be livid with the ref...

Yeah, 13-13...Brilliant.

How many teams with a 9-39 record the previous four years have gone bowling their first two years under a new coach? How many Big Ten teams that have been 5-31 the four previous years have gone 9-9 the first two years under a new coach?

Look what he inherited. When he eventually takes an elite job he’s going to be right there with the elites. I hope that’s sooner rather than later.
He inherited an NFL QB and a senior laden team. He did a good job and Hazell was definitely way over his head. Not sure what the hell Hazell was doing. 13-13 is...decent. Let’s see if Brohm can keep building on that. He likely will based on their recruiting classes. I just want to see it happen before heaping as much praise as he’s gotten...

Last edited:
How many teams with a 9-39 record the previous four years have gone bowling their first two years under a new coach? How many Big Ten teams that have been 5-31 the four previous years have gone 9-9 the first two years under a new coach?
Who cares? He inherited an NFL QB. He’s clearly an offensive savant and QB whisperer. As I said, he’s done a good job, but 13-13 is blah. He’s clearly turned around recruiting with the help of a massive investment from the university. I just want to see him get 8-9 wins before I’m willing to crown him.

Sometimes as a coach you need to get on officials even if it is just to show your guys you have their backs.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
My exact statement was: "Not many 5'10" guys are playing LB for P5 teams."

I stand by that statement.

Not many 5-9 true Freshman Consensus All American’s playing in the Big Ten either! In fact, Rondale is the ONLY true freshman consensus All American in modern Big Ten football history dating back to 1974. Of course we know all roster heights and weights are accurate!

Not many 5-9 true Freshman Consensus All American’s playing in the Big Ten either! In fact, Rondale is the ONLY true freshman consensus All American in modern Big Ten football history dating back to 1974. Of course we know all roster heights and weights are accurate!
He's not playing Linebacker, either. Although he might make a very good CB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT