ADVERTISEMENT

Kool aid vs reality

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
I admit I thought last year we’d be bowling for sure. Think I thought they had more talent than they did (or perhaps experience?)

Truth is they should or for sure could have won 1-3 games last year but didn’t.

But I feel differently this season. Allen as HC only feels right. All the athletic FR who played last year on D, have had a spring & summer to get bigger and have more confidence. Love the new OC and think Penix is going to get the reigns at some point soon (but if Ramsey truly wins outright good for him).

Just lime the overall talent, depth, S/C & bravado. Head says 6-6 bowling floor. Heart thinks could surprise 8-4 with wins over Northwestern, MSU, MD & PU!

The longtime followers of Indiana football KNOW this team has talent. This team is 10X more talented than teams from 10 years ago.

Do you remember a time in program history where there was a potential three year starter penciled in at QB and the fanbase is clamoring for the backups to be the starter instead? Backups who are 4* recruits out of high school??

This roster is a 6 win team with decent coaching. It is a 7+ win team with good coaching.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Reality should be a 6 win season but I can drink the kool-ade and see a 9 win or more season. To win more than 6, the team must stay healthy, our new OC has to make our offense more dynamic, and our defense has to regain its spot back into one of the top defenses in the conference. ST needs to do their share to win games with big plays.
The early schedule helps let the team be in shape to knock off OSU then take on UConn heading into the MSU game. Coming out of that game 4-1 or 5-0 could lead to a great season. Get into the second half of the season with 1 or no losses and IU could get on a roll beating Rutgers, NW, Maryland, and Nebraska. NW will be a tough game but it is at IU, Maryland has talent but how they will play with a new HC we don't know, and then Nebraska will be tough going there but I don't think they can change that defense enough to win as much as anticipated. The final three after going 8-1 or 9-0 could be winning games. We should have beaten PSU last year and they lost a lot of their experienced talent from that team. Michigan is at IU, will IU challenge them as they have the past couple of times except by winning this time. Finally the Bucket game - can IU win in WLaf?

If I had to bet money I would bet on 6 wins but know IU will win more. Will they win as many as my scenario says they can, unlikely but not impossible. Can this season be the magical season 1967 was or more of the same that IU has gone through the past several decades.

Reality should be a 6 win season but I can drink the kool-ade and see a 9 win or more season. To win more than 6, the team must stay healthy, our new OC has to make our offense more dynamic, and our defense has to regain its spot back into one of the top defenses in the conference. ST needs to do their share to win games with big plays.
The early schedule helps let the team be in shape to knock off OSU then take on UConn heading into the MSU game. Coming out of that game 4-1 or 5-0 could lead to a great season. Get into the second half of the season with 1 or no losses and IU could get on a roll beating Rutgers, NW, Maryland, and Nebraska. NW will be a tough game but it is at IU, Maryland has talent but how they will play with a new HC we don't know, and then Nebraska will be tough going there but I don't think they can change that defense enough to win as much as anticipated. The final three after going 8-1 or 9-0 could be winning games. We should have beaten PSU last year and they lost a lot of their experienced talent from that team. Michigan is at IU, will IU challenge them as they have the past couple of times except by winning this time. Finally the Bucket game - can IU win in WLaf?

If I had to bet money I would bet on 6 wins but know IU will win more. Will they win as many as my scenario says they can, unlikely but not impossible. Can this season be the magical season 1967 was or more of the same that IU has gone through the past several decades.
The Vegas over/under win total projections that I've seen for IU are in the 6 to 6.5 range. Seems about right, and would leave this Hoosier fan pretty satisfied.

Reactions: TominDallas
The Vegas over/under win total projections that I've seen for IU are in the 6 to 6.5 range. Seems about right, and would leave this Hoosier fan pretty satisfied.
That doesnt mean vegas thinks that will happen. That means that's the line they think will get the most action. I can't believe the o/u isnt 5.5.

I am a lifelong fan, always hoping IU can turn the corner. History has been a cruel lesson that the optimism that I feel now, takes an unfortunate turn after the 3rd game of the season. I would be thrilled if IU can make a bowl game, but I think it will be a challenge.

The safer angle is hopenforba bowl this year tonget that back on track. If that happens, think the momentum continues ahead. But if we catch some breaks, utilize the TWO bye weeks we’ll, I’m not saying 1967 magic in a bottle yet, but 8-4 could be doable and imagine the feelings if that happened!

And a bucket win here to end the season would be fantastic way to end the year!

Wow Vesuvius, you can really get me going when you talk like that. I remember that 1967 year. I was a sophomore in HS here and went to every home game in the knothole bleachers except they didn’t sell them for the Purdue game. My dear old father bought me a regular ticket for that game. What a dream experience that was.

My whole life I have been dreaming of and hoping for another IU football season like that, only to be disappointed so many times I have become numb to it. I dare not dream that big. It would be nice to get to the point that Mallory had us in the 80’s though. That Michigan game here in ‘87 was perhaps my second best IUFB memory. Didn’t even notice all the rain.

I like this team. The roster is improving, CTA is improving the coaching staff around him every year and I am certain he is learning on his own part every year. And I just love the guy and his approach to things. I’ve had a couple of chances to chat with him at various events and he is such a gracious and straight forward man. I can do nothing but hope for his success.

It would be great to catch lightning like that ‘67 team did and I could go to my grave happy, but what I’d love to see even better is for CTA to make a permanent change in IUFB so that they can win at the level of an Iowa or MSU. I believe that is what CTA is shooting for and what he is building toward, and I’m all in with him until he proves he cannot do it.

As we all know preseason rankings can be way off base. But the reality is that the Hoosiers are playing five opponents in the top 25. I think the Hoosiers winning eight games this year would be a comparable accomplishment to the 67 Rose Bowl team.

It’s actually very simple:

Win 6 and the bucket and it’ll be a big success to build on.

Don’t and we lose all momentum and we’re looking at an entirely new staff and direction.

It’s actually very simple:

Win 6 and the bucket and it’ll be a big success to build on.

Don’t and we lose all momentum and we’re looking at an entirely new staff and direction.

You are delusional if you think that CTA is going to be fired after three years unless this year ends up being a 1 win season (I am not even sure that would get him fired) or some type of MAJOR scandal.

You are delusional if you think that CTA is going to be fired after three years unless this year ends up being a 1 win season (I am not even sure that would get him fired) or some type of MAJOR scandal.

A one win season may be problematic for Tom Allen to overcome, but to think thats even an option would be nuts. Allen is doing lot of little things right and believe they will add up to some great wins this season.

Is this team capable of 6 wins? Of course. Can it win more? Sure it can, as we have seen other teams do as they rose from losing histories, NW most prominently

But will they? Well, as is said, that is why they play the game. What will it take to win 6...or more? No mystery. Develope enough depth and talent to win in the last minutes of the last quarter. Under Wilson, we became good enough to get to the 4th qt and have a chance...but did not have the defense to win...or the savvy on Offense to overcome that. I would still like to have seen the product that Wilson and Allen would have produced over 2-3 seasons but that is gone forever.

Can we overcome our weaknesses now? That is the million-dollar question. Over the decades we have had talent, good solid talent, just not in enough positions or have enough depth behind it.

We "appear" to have more talent today than in a long time...but talent is as talent does and is only relevant against the talent on the teams we play. That part is mostly coaching and that is where the real questions lay...does (another) new staff have what it takes? Can Allen overcome the learning curve before he gets axed... as the long line behind him have failed to do?

I have hope but nothing is certain. Given few major injuries or in-game miscues by staff, we should win six...though it will NOT be easy. 5 pretty sure wins are there...but the 6th will have to be earned by upsetting someone as given a predictable schedule all remaining teams will be picked to win. Who cares...

Just win baby and all is taken care of. But saying it and doing it won't be the same thing. The staff and players must overcome history and their own shortcomings to win.

They can...but will they? No one knows so enthusiasm is high...seen it on Peegs for 25 years. Words are fluff...hope is flammable...and fans turn on a dime. The game is played on the field and I have hope this bunch can win, no matter who the QB is...

But keep your sights on achievable goals. Last year many fans on this site were predicting a sure 8-10 wins...remember? And they turned like rabid dogs on the staff and team. Expect the expectable...and quietly dream for greatness.

Sometimes it happens...but most times it doesn't. A 6 win season and a bowl looks like up to me. Any more is pure gravy.

Last edited:
The longtime followers of Indiana football KNOW this team has talent. This team is 10X more talented than teams from 10 years ago.

Do you remember a time in program history where there was a potential three year starter penciled in at QB and the fanbase is clamoring for the backups to be the starter instead? Backups who are 4* recruits out of high school??

This roster is a 6 win team with decent coaching. It is a 7+ win team with good coaching.
I can remember seasons in which the old joke applied: The good news is 80 percent of the offense is back. The bad news is 80 percent of the offense is back ...

I like this team. The roster is improving, CTA is improving the coaching staff around him every year and I am certain he is learning on his own part every year. And I just love the guy and his approach to things. I’ve had a couple of chances to chat with him at various events and he is such a gracious and straight forward man. I can do nothing but hope for his success.
One thing I really think they're doing right is stepping up and paying good money for the assistants. Yes, this started with Wilson, but it appears to have continued under Allen. In today's HT, they're talking about IU's highest paid employees. Among the top are Allen at $500K, Deboer at $500K, and Wommack at $450K. Yes, I know that Allen will get substantially more than that, but it tells me something about the man when he's getting salaries for his top assistants that are equal to his. There's no big ego or scorekeeping involved. He's done what's necessary to get the money for his right hand and left hand people out of Glass and the budget, even if it means that his personal salary (on paper) isn't any greater.

I'll go reality.
Iu won 5 last year, but needed a clutch fg vs. Maryland at home to get there. This year the game is at maryland. They've lost by a td to pu the last 2 years, but those were more like 2 td games, with iu late scores making it look better.
Iu needs to be better by a good amount. I like that cam jones is being looked at lb, because he can be a better option than their starters. The defense has to improve and players (like jones) have to go from potential and once in awhile great play to every down production. Qb play has to be better. It wasn't good enough last year.
They're talking big in preseason. They sound ready to be better. Bowl season? It's 50-50. Northwestern (and yes michigan, which iu matches up well with) at home are going to be huge. Pu too. Youth excuse is over. It's time to go.

I've stated that this year will tell the tale on Mr. Allen's coaching abilities. I hope he is wildly successful because he is moving the program in a good direction.

Years ago, after Hep passed, we had people on here preaching continuity. It was bandied about every single day and probably led to the hiring of Wild Bill Lynch. This program needs Allen to deliver the goods THIS YEAR, continuity applies once again, IMO.

I've stated that this year will tell the tale on Mr. Allen's coaching abilities. I hope he is wildly successful because he is moving the program in a good direction.

Years ago, after Hep passed, we had people on here preaching continuity. It was bandied about every single day and probably led to the hiring of Wild Bill Lynch. This program needs Allen to deliver the goods THIS YEAR, continuity applies once again, IMO.
I think it applies only if things are going in a desired direction and real results are beginning to be seen.
And, yes, I think CTA and his staff and his team meet those criteria. At this point, I think continuity is a reasonable goal for Fred to have for the football program.
Dadgum! It's nice to think that way about IU football!

Yes I agree that this would be a great year for the breakthrough. What it could do for the program is just tremendous.

I also agree with a previous poster who said that Allen is not on a hot seat no matter what happens this year. He has got this program in better shape than it has been in a very long time. He will be given every opportunity to see it through.

But Oh what an opportunity to make that turn this year!

The safer angle is hopenforba bowl this year tonget that back on track. If that happens, think the momentum continues ahead. But if we catch some breaks, utilize the TWO bye weeks we’ll, I’m not saying 1967 magic in a bottle yet, but 8-4 could be doable and imagine the feelings if that happened!

And a bucket win here to end the season would be fantastic way to end the year!

Purdue fan here, and I’m taking a different angle than you guys might think.

On GBI most people are predicting 7-8 wins. Based on insider stuff I won’t get into, my first prediction is a slight edge to 6-6 over 7-5 with as low as 4-8 possible. I can separate my fandom from a realistic appraisal of football. Most fans right now can’t. Our fans have Vanderbilt penciled in as a win. Vanderbilt’s fans have Purdue penciled in as a win. For all predictions nationwide to hold true, 30% of games would have to end with both teams winning nationally lol.

I was at the game we won v Notre Dame in 99 where they failed to get the last play off. People don’t realize that with all the highly recruited players they had up front and at linebacker and runningback, that team would struggle to win 3 games in the Big Ten this year. The 2000 Purdue team would not be conference champs.

You guys have weapons? I won’t even crap on that. I’ll illustrate it through Purdue. We just had a top 25 recruiting class. If we do that every year for the next four years when we can take enough players .. we will still be at a talent disadvantage if we play Penn State. Fans on the Purdue site brag about what Eron Hodges can do recruiting, and I’m impressed, but when you look at the value of a big ten education in dollars v 20 years ago, and the money the big ten has v all but a couple conferences now, everyone in the big ten is recruiting better. Lovie Smith can’t do anything on game day, but he can go into St. Louis and get kids in a recliner chair.

If I was a Fan of a big 12 school and I just looked at your schedule, you’ll beat Rutgers, 3 OOC then your next hierarchy of success games are maryland, Purdue, Northwestern. Finishing 7-5 wouldn’t shock the football world.

My prediction, Purdue starts off 2-3 and Purdue and Indiana are once again 5-6 each in the bucket and Purdue pulls out a win. Which is exactly what I said last year except I said Purdue would start 2-2 with 1-3 possible.

And then the next two seasons Purdue graduates very few players. IU? I’d have to look at your roster again next year to say.

All fan bases average at “overly optimistic” now.

Wow Vesuvius, you can really get me going when you talk like that. I remember that 1967 year. I was a sophomore in HS here and went to every home game in the knothole bleachers except they didn’t sell them for the Purdue game. My dear old father bought me a regular ticket for that game. What a dream experience that was.

My whole life I have been dreaming of and hoping for another IU football season like that, only to be disappointed so many times I have become numb to it. I dare not dream that big. It would be nice to get to the point that Mallory had us in the 80’s though. That Michigan game here in ‘87 was perhaps my second best IUFB memory. Didn’t even notice all the rain.

It would be great to catch lightning like that ‘67 team did and I could go to my grave happy, but what I’d love to see even better is for CTA to make a permanent change in IUFB so that they can win at the level of an Iowa or MSU. I believe that is what CTA is shooting for and what he is building toward, and I’m all in with him until he proves he cannot do it.[/QUOTE
]

I was 11 and had a similar experience to you.....saw all of the '67 games...

The first IU game I can remember seeing was the '66 home game v. MSU...the team with Bubba Smith, George Webster et al....Although IU lost, it was a battle. The next week they got destroyed by the '66 Purdue team of Phipps, Keyes....

Looking back, that '66 team had a large # of good/great players.....Cole, Gage, Crusan, Russell, Schuette, Cassells, Sniadecki, Kazmarek, Cunningham, Van Pelt, Krivosha, Stavroff. Couch......but still went 1-8-1 in s Big 10 that was still the most dominant conference in college football.

So what was the difference between 1966 & 1967? Pont was in this 3rd year (sound familiar?) and had gone 2-8 & 1-8-1 against brutal schedules (why did we play AT Texas in 1965 & 1966? We got no home games with them before or after).....basically equivalent to the 5-7 records of the last two years against watered down schedules. The addition of Gonzo,Isenbarger & Butcher and the maturation of the vets....rushing ypc went up on O and down on D. Butcher was a more explosive WR than Couch, and Isenbarger was very talented. Passing yards went down, but the the ration of TDs/Ints was much better.

Looking at 2019....could we have a repeat of 1967?

One similarity----the OOC schedules are manageable. In '67, we had UK, Kansas, & Arizona. Far more formidable than this year's OOC schedule (which I hate, as I hate all of our OOC schedules these days), but all mediocre at the time. And no game at Texas.

Another area where I'm hopeful-----the areas of ypc and TD/Int ratio.....the '66 IU team had a lot of passing yards, a high completion %, but too many ints, and not enough yards per completion. I am hopeful that the 2019 combo of Ramsey/Penix can take Ramsey's TD/Int ratio from 19-13 to something like 24-8. We have the WRs & TEs to do it---it's up to the QB.

Defense last year was a mixed bag......we were worse than average in scoring and ypp......We gave up 6.00 ypp.....slightly worse than MN, slightly better than PU....only ILL was legit worse, at 7.00 ypp....but we were #8 in the country in creating TOs......

So, can this year's D be tougher to move the ball against? Last year's D was very poor against the run. Our LBs will probably be better in run D....will the line? There's really not much reason to think so, other than the optimistic talk coming out of camp.....so defensively can we tougher to run against, while still being top 20 in TOs? That's a lot tp realistically hope for......Combined with a less favorable conference schedule, it's why I think it will be difficult for this team to be better than 6-6.

I expect a 95% chance that we will have between 5 - 7 wins. I don't see any chance of more than 7 and a risk we could have less than 5 wins. 6 wins assumes we will win our non conference games and avoid stubbing our toes on the conference games we could and should win. I am not prepared to expect we will pull off a big upset. That might change if Penix or Tuttle have a Randle El type of first season at QB.

Our defense might surprise us and our depth at a few positions could be a bigger plus for us. A little better on defense and even more improvement on offense should give us 6 wins. If we catch a team on a bad day, 7 wins are possible. There isn't enough Kool Aid for me to expect more with our schedule.

IU has entered a level that the 3-9 seasons aren't thought of as a possibility like they used to be. We used to have those regularly. I like what CTA has done and the culture he has brought to IU.

12-2 (sorry to be so pessimistic [about the 2 L's]...);)

M$U will buy the Center Judge again and Delaney will make sure we don't keep one of the big $ makers out of the National Championship game (so there's 2 L's).

We win the rest, bring home the Bucket and the Bowl trophy... :D

I expect a 95% chance that we will have between 5 - 7 wins. I don't see any chance of more than 7 and a risk we could have less than 5 wins. 6 wins assumes we will win our non conference games and avoid stubbing our toes on the conference games we could and should win. I am not prepared to expect we will pull off a big upset. That might change if Penix or Tuttle have a Randle El type of first season at QB.

Our defense might surprise us and our depth at a few positions could be a bigger plus for us. A little better on defense and even more improvement on offense should give us 6 wins. If we catch a team on a bad day, 7 wins are possible. There isn't enough Kool Aid for me to expect more with our schedule.

IU has entered a level that the 3-9 seasons aren't thought of as a possibility like they used to be. We used to have those regularly. I like what CTA has done and the culture he has brought to IU.

I'm a little more optimistic than you.

I see the 3 OOC + RU as near certain wins. Losing any of those games would be a major FUp, imo.

So, 'less than 5' would require 0 for 8 on the other games, including (OSU, UM & NW at home, MSU, PSU, MD, Neb & Purdue away).....to me, NW & MD look like 50-50 games, and we have a puncher's chance (25%) at Neb & at Purdue. The game I think we have the least chance of winning is at PSU, OSU & UM are very unlikely, but not impossible (15%). So I expect no worse than 6-6.

Now that's what I would predict with 'expected improvement'......ie...more productive QB play...let's say 22 passing TDs with 10 ints (v. 19-13), more out of our RBs other than Scott, both in rush yards and PR yds, and improved play at LB & among the DBs. OL & DL--no significant change.

I don't think we worry about winning less than 5, unless we have serious injury issues.

How to get to 8? Get to 24/8 on the TD/int ratio (hitting a few more long passes), avoid serious injuries to star players, be top 20 again in defensive TOs (#8 last yr), and be average in yards per play given up (which would require improved DL play) Unlikely, but possible.

Purdue is a 50/50 game no a punchers chance. They lost 70% of their offense and they've only had 1 good recruiting class so far so they dont have better talent. It will be a 50/50 game.
I have IU beating Maryland michigan(last 2 home games have gone to OT i think they win this year) and purdue to get 7 wins

Purdue is a 50/50 game no a punchers chance. They lost 70% of their offense and they've only had 1 good recruiting class so far so they dont have better talent. It will be a 50/50 game.
I have IU beating Maryland michigan(last 2 home games have gone to OT i think they win this year) and purdue to get 7 wins

I disagree concerning Purdue, and Michigan.

With respect to Purdue, Brohm has had his way with TA the last 2 years. Remember the fake punt? How about Jones 217 rushing yards? The end sweeps where our D was repeatedly out-flanked? And if R. Moore is healthy and motivated, odds are he will get at least 2 long TD plays, as he did last year. Like he did last year right over the top of our defensive MVP, since departed. Don't think so? Remember R. Woodson, Otis Armstrong, or Mike Alstott? Jones & Moore? What do they all have in common? They led mediocre Purdue teams to easy, embarrassing wins against IU.

I like TA in many respects, but I'm pretty sure Brohm has his #. I hope I'm wrong, but everything I've seen to date says otherwise.

With respect to Michigan, like PSU & Nebraska, we missed our chances to beat them when they were down. Not impossible this year, but unlikely.

Reactions: fpeaugh
One thing I really think they're doing right is stepping up and paying good money for the assistants. Yes, this started with Wilson, but it appears to have continued under Allen. In today's HT, they're talking about IU's highest paid employees. Among the top are Allen at $500K, Deboer at $500K, and Wommack at $450K. Yes, I know that Allen will get substantially more than that, but it tells me something about the man when he's getting salaries for his top assistants that are equal to his. There's no big ego or scorekeeping involved. He's done what's necessary to get the money for his right hand and left hand people out of Glass and the budget, even if it means that his personal salary (on paper) isn't any greater.

I will say, its a smart move on his part. I don't think he had the option to increase his instead of paying assistants but being able to pay assistants handsomely will hopefully pay dividends via wins. In doing that, CTA will get his.

I love how I get so excited for the season when I have endured 25+ seasons or more of this same excitement followed by disappointment. And 0 seasons of finishing where I rationally thought we would. If a psychiatrist were reviewing me, all they would have to do is watch my emotions over IU Fball for the last 2.5 decades to see that in the face of the same outcome 100% of the time, I still start the year with high expectations. I'd be deemed clinically insane.........but they'd be wrong, wait until next year!!! vbg

VSmnAUsEYk84HCxT8

I disagree concerning Purdue, and Michigan.

With respect to Purdue, Brohm has had his way with TA the last 2 years. Remember the fake punt? How about Jones 217 rushing yards? The end sweeps where our D was repeatedly out-flanked? And if R. Moore is healthy and motivated, odds are he will get at least 2 long TD plays, as he did last year. Like he did last year right over the top of our defensive MVP, since departed. Don't think so? Remember R. Woodson, Otis Armstrong, or Mike Alstott? Jones & Moore? What do they all have in common? They led mediocre Purdue teams to easy, embarrassing wins against IU.

I like TA in many respects, but I'm pretty sure Brohm has his #. I hope I'm wrong, but everything I've seen to date says otherwise.

With respect to Michigan, like PSU & Nebraska, we missed our chances to beat them when they were down. Not impossible this year, but unlikely.

However, in both games, IU spotted Purdue a TD by throwing INTs inside the 10 yard line on the first possession

According to ESPN's Match-up predictor here are the Hoosiers chances (as good as any source at this early stage). I have listed IU's percentage chance of winning.
Ball State- 86.6
E. Ill- 98.5
O$U- 30.5
U. Conn- 96.1
MSU- 18.6
RU- 86.9
Maryland- 58.9
Neb- 27.7
NW- 62.7
PSU- 17.5
Mich- 15.7
PU- 55

That would be 7-5 without any upsets. Obviously, this is just another opinion. They also seem to give great weight to home field advantage. I am surprised by the spread on the NW game and I think Michigan is to great of one considering IU took them to overtime in the last two meetings in Bloomington. It will be an interesting season.

We can't make the same mistake we made with the Ohio State Game 2 years ago. That was the Season Opener, and there was a consensus that we had a good chance for an upset in Bloomington and it would set us up for a great season. Westbrook got the knee injury on the opening kickoff was out for the year, and we lost that game which set the tone for the entire season. OSU is our Big Ten Opener. We can't put so much emphasis on winning one game that we allow it to determine the direction of the rest of the Season.

We can't make the same mistake we made with the Ohio State Game 2 years ago. That was the Season Opener, and there was a consensus that we had a good chance for an upset in Bloomington and it would set us up for a great season. Westbrook got the knee injury on the opening kickoff was out for the year, and we lost that game which set the tone for the entire season. OSU is our Big Ten Opener. We can't put so much emphasis on winning one game that we allow it to determine the direction of the rest of the Season.

The old cliche' "take one game at a time and make it the most important game" really fits us to a T this year.

If we're totally focused and play at our best we have a legit shot at winning every time we step on the field. If our guys take anyone lightly or take plays off we're capable of losing to anyone... (in my opinion)...

The good news is that the talent is there and it will come down to individual players decisions as to how they approach the games both preparation and effort-wise...

However, in both games, IU spotted Purdue a TD by throwing INTs inside the 10 yard line on the first possession
Almost. 2017 - Lagow threw a pick with the ball on the 17. 2018 - Ramsey threw a pick late in the 4th quarter.
IMHO, Allen held the advantage in talent both years. I would probably give IU the edge in that category again this year. We’ll see if he can capitalize this time. We have some nice talent in the skill positions on offense, but the QB may not have time to find them.
I expect 6-6 for IU. There are 4 gimmes and they’ll get couple more with the rest of the schedule.

According to ESPN's Match-up predictor here are the Hoosiers chances (as good as any source at this early stage). I have listed IU's percentage chance of winning.
Ball State- 86.6
E. Ill- 98.5
O$U- 30.5
U. Conn- 96.1
MSU- 18.6
RU- 86.9
Maryland- 58.9
Neb- 27.7
NW- 62.7
PSU- 17.5
Mich- 15.7
PU- 55

That would be 7-5 without any upsets. Obviously, this is just another opinion. They also seem to give great weight to home field advantage. I am surprised by the spread on the NW game and I think Michigan is to great of one considering IU took them to overtime in the last two meetings in Bloomington. It will be an interesting season.

Ohio State is ranked number three preseason and we would beat them three out of 10 times? I would be happy with one out of 30 times which would indicate that Indiana is due for a win.

Almost. 2017 - Lagow threw a pick with the ball on the 17. 2018 - Ramsey threw a pick late in the 4th quarter.
IMHO, Allen held the advantage in talent both years. I would probably give IU the edge in that category again this year. We’ll see if he can capitalize this time. We have some nice talent in the skill positions on offense, but the QB may not have time to find them.
I expect 6-6 for IU. There are 4 gimmes and they’ll get couple more with the rest of the schedule.

I never use the term "gimmie" with IU FB but they are vey winnable games. BSU the toughest on a neutral field (not crowd) and the motivation to beat the state program after disappointing seasons of their own. Agree on six. One of these seasons they are going to get that upset.

I'm concerned about line play/depth on both sides, which is obviously key to the season besides the QB. Seems like we're getting some potential answers emerging there although we'll need consistency by the time we start playing Big Ten teams.

Otherwise it sounds like we're hearing a lot of positive things beyond the usual preseason camp hype. Could be another heartbreaking 5 win season, could be the big breakthrough. We'll find out.

Allen/IU had a much better overall roster than Purdue the last 2 years. This year the talent gap is likely the smallest it’s been and Brohm hasn’t had trouble beating you guys before.

You guys (and the B1G) won’t be able to stop/slow down the best WR in the conference.

Purdue has a better WR corps than last year

Purdue has arguably the best TE in the conference.

If average players like Markell Jones can tear up your defense (Marcelino Ball is still being dragged into the end zone FYI), good luck trying to stop David Bell, Milton Wright, (insert any running back here), etc...

Perhaps there is a little revisionist history going on here. Ohio State was a 20 point favorite in that game. And they covered by eight points.

Reactions: boilerpt
ADVERTISEMENT