ADVERTISEMENT

Knight Criticizes the Wizard

"Remains to be seen"? If it was only a matter of being an asshole that would be one thing, but deceitful, ignorant, self-serving and dangerous are entirely something else. No idea what "job" you refer to that you think needs to get done but if you're still up in the air about his character, ambitions and abilities there's nothing to discuss. Go back to planning your We Nuked Korea party so you can christen America's 'return to greatness'. I'm out.
That's okay, I forgive you. I felt the same while Clinton and Obama were reigning and I survived. You shall, too. Just turn your back, turn your collar to the wind and move along in silence, trying not to think at all. The Democrats will win again....someday, and on that glorious day the bitterness will end.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
Idiotic behavior that was commonplace with RMK was never justified by winning, just as cheating was and is never justified by winning. RMK has no one but himself to blame for his bitterness and separation from IU, a fate he richly deserved.

Oh, believe it when I say "BK Theater" was overlooked because he was winning. I'll always remember a sports commentator saying that if Knight ever stopped winning at the high level he set, the fanbase would turn on him. It did. His antics are part of what made his coaching career here so much fun. There was never a dull moment and winning while doing it simply took it over the top, so to speak. I love Archie to pieces and want him to succeed. I'll be happy if he wins, but at the same time I know a lot of extra bonus coaching entertainment will never be there like it was when Knight was here. That's just based on Archie's demeanor, what little of him I've seen. He's not a natural smiler. It just doesn't appear to be a part of his personality like it is for some.

see, you are confusing discipline with anger and control. keeping your cool and being consistent with a kid having a tantrum works. freaking out like bobby used to does not.

The point is that Knight's teams played disciplined ball. They did so because the methods Knight used were effective and likely because Knight was adept at reading and selecting recruits -- and their parents -- that weren't afraid of the authoritarian approach. Perhaps Coach Knight's players stayed cool and consistent in pressured situations precisely because they went thru them all the time.

Reactions: hondo314
Actually, I just read a recent interview (with Keady) and Knight said it was the IU administration with which he has a bone to pick. So yes, he has clarified with the fans the true issue of malcontent. Why is that such a difficult thing for fans like you to get over?

Well, personally I couldn't care less, but the interview I watched said nothing in that regard. I'm not going to go scouring the internet looking for articles to try to prove Knight is some kind of saint. You obviously care more about his reputation that I do.

Seems to me that it's you that can't seem to get over it.

Well, personally I couldn't care less, but the interview I watched said nothing in that regard. I'm not going to go scouring the internet looking for articles to try to prove Knight is some kind of saint. You obviously care more about his reputation that I do.

Seems to me that it's you that can't seem to get over it.

I read it in one of last week's copies of the IDS. It was about his recent Purdue visit with Keady. Now, regarding your post...

Then he should clarify his issues are not with the fans, but that would take someone with compassion and a temperament above that of a toddler.

Bob Knight did clarify that his issue is not with the fans. How do I know? I heard him say it while attending his "Farewell Speech" in Dunn Meadow. He thanked all the wonderful IU fans, making it clear that his problem was with the administration. FWIW, in the article it went on to describe the fateful meeting with the Harvey kid at AH. What pissed him off most was that the administration took the Harvey kid for his word over his, regarding his reprimand of the kid toward his disrespect toward adults. You're right though, I still haven't gotten over it and after last night's debacle, I'm still pissed as hell at Myles Brand and the rest of his spineless IU administration who supported the wrong guy in this "Zero Tolerance" bullshit.

Each generation (in recent history) has had it easier than the previous one. I think of what my parents went through...the Great Depression and WW II. My generation was weaker because we had life pretty damn good unless you're an utter moron. Kids our more spoiled today, just as my generation was more spoiled than my folk's generation.

Technology is what has made humans more successful, not more hardship. Kids are tougher than ever today? So what is up with the colleges having "safe places" serving hot chocolate and what-not to comfort them after Hillary was upset in the Presidential election? Is that a result of the insanely complicated world you speak of that requires college's to coddle the "snowflakes" while they process things because their parents have less time to do it? Yeah, you sound like you're really being prepared to tackle more "adult" situations. Trying to "process and figure out the insanely complicated world"? Christ, you can find every answer to every possible question by Googling. You don't spend as much time with your parents because your heads are buried in your cellphones living in a trance playing with video games, Snapchat and Facebook. You poor babies having to figure out life alone!

Teachers didn't beat kids such that they came home with bruises and black eyes. We're talking about nun's raking a ruler over the outstretched hands of the class brat. Any child of that generation will tell you it worked. From a personal standpoint, my dad made me drop my drawers and whipped my legs with his belt until I danced and the welts formed. After that, whenever I mouthed off all he had to do was show me that he was touching his belt buckle and I straightened up real quick. If a kid had that done to him today, social services would come knocking at the door three days after he received an attorney's letter.

Knight did some things he regretted, but his good works...not just for players, but for people in general, far outweighs the negative that brings complaints from detractors of authoritarian leaders. To not love what Bob Knight did for IU is to not having truly known him. From your words, one can assume you are of the younger generation, the generation that really didn't know him, the generation that doesn't know as much as they think they do. Good luck there, young Fellah. Keep fighting the good fight and always pray for Bernie!

ties our discussion back to politics. that's a funny thing that dumb, angry people like to do.

betcha you call everyone you know who can ready above an 8th grade level a COMMUNIST BERNIE SUPPORTER! lol

but your dream may come true: poor kids will probably lose free healthcare. that'll toughen them up!

297.png

Reactions: jnono and z_one
I read it in one of last week's copies of the IDS. It was about his recent Purdue visit with Keady. Now, regarding your post...

Then he should clarify his issues are not with the fans, but that would take someone with compassion and a temperament above that of a toddler.

Bob Knight did clarify that his issue is not with the fans. How do I know? I heard him say it while attending his "Farewell Speech" in Dunn Meadow. He thanked all the wonderful IU fans, making it clear that his problem was with the administration. FWIW, in the article it went on to describe the fateful meeting with the Harvey kid at AH. What pissed him off most was that the administration took the Harvey kid for his word over his, regarding his reprimand of the kid toward his disrespect toward adults. You're right though, I still haven't gotten over it and after last night's debacle, I'm still pissed as hell at Myles Brand and the rest of his spineless IU administration who supported the wrong guy in this "Zero Tolerance" bullshit.
The 19 year old legal adult that RMK reprimanded by grabbing him? The one he referred to in the Buck interview as a “son of a bitch” because he called Knight by his last name? You’re making excuses for a guy who acted like a fool and finally had to pay a price for it.

Reactions: z_one
Every generation is softer than the last one. That's why no civilization lasts forever. They get softer. They've had life easier and the kids today grow up being doted upon more than they used to. A teacher isn't allowed to touch a kid in school today out of fear of a kid's dad getting upset and threatening to call his attorney. "Don't you try and tell my son what to do!" I had a father yell at me when I had to reprimand his son for acting out of control (a total brat) in a dental chair. I was the dentist and my response was, "Well, someone needs to!" It didn't used to be that way. Knight's military type discipline took a special kind of kid to put up with it. Sometimes the kid was hesitant to play for him but his dad knew that was the place for his kid so he went there. Fewer parents today would encourage their son to play for this type of temperament. I must say, Knight's teams were always a tough out for the opponent. It's because his players were well disciplined, not so much that they had superior talent. IU players haven't been the same since he left. We've struggled like never before since Knight.
My parents told me that if I get a spanking at school I would get it twice as bad when I got home. I got one spanking because I was throwing snow balls when I shouldn't and I hit the principal in the chest. I did get it once I got home. On a side note the principal used to be friends with my uncle. I threw his name out thinking the principal would let me go. Lol. Did not work.

The 19 year old legal adult that RMK reprimanded by grabbing him? The one he referred to in the Buck interview as a “son of a bitch” because he called Knight by his last name? You’re making excuses for a guy who acted like a fool and finally had to pay a price for it.
I'm not sure what you're talking about regarding "Buck" interview, but if Knight did say that, I bet it was quoted AFTER he was fired. The quoted Knight in the IDS article (I can't find it now) did not include your "Buck" son of a bitch language. Now, you can believe the "adult" Harvey kid who upon graduation received a Mustang convertible (as did his twin brother) from their attorney uncle who had a long standing feud with Knight, or you can believe "that fool" Knight. Yes, according to both sources Knight grabbed his arm to get the disrespectful high school kid's attention, but remember, this was back in the day when grabbing a student's arm did not automatically illicit the call to an attorney like it does today in this ever increasingly warped society or ours. If that is what you call "acting like a fool"...teaching a disrespectful student a life lesson, then so be it. Knight didn't act any different in year 29 than he did in year 1. Some people get upset when they think Knight should kiss their ass and he does. Knight made it very clear he kisses no man's ass. I like a man who stays true to his word. I'm less confident in the quote from Harvey than I am with the quote from Knight regarding that fateful day in IU basketball history.

My parents told me that if I get a spanking at school I would get it twice as bad when I got home. I got one spanking because I was throwing snow balls when I shouldn't and I hit the principal in the chest. I did get it once I got home. On a side note the principal used to be friends with my uncle. I threw his name out thinking the principal would let me go. Lol. Did not work.

cool-story-bro-house-Cool-Story-Bro.jpg

The question is, and it's an important one...was there a rock hidden inside those snowballs?

Everyone thinks but some people are afraid to say what they think. Knight and Trump aren't in that category. You got tired of Knight being a bully when he stopped winning big and you started believing all the negative stories the media was writing about him. You got tired of Trump being a bully when the opposition party elected him President of the United States. That's just my guess because I think I know how it works and I'm not afraid to say it. That's why I still support both of them.
Fair enough reply, but we have plenty of video of both being bullies so I don't need the media to help make my decision. That if you buy into the fake news..

I'm not sure what you're talking about regarding "Buck" interview, but if Knight did say that, I bet it was quoted AFTER he was fired. The quoted Knight in the IDS article (I can't find it now) did not include your "Buck" son of a bitch language. Now, you can believe the "adult" Harvey kid who upon graduation received a Mustang convertible (as did his twin brother) from their attorney uncle who had a long standing feud with Knight, or you can believe "that fool" Knight. Yes, according to both sources Knight grabbed his arm to get the disrespectful high school kid's attention, but remember, this was back in the day when grabbing a student's arm did not automatically illicit the call to an attorney like it does today in this ever increasingly warped society or ours. If that is what you call "acting like a fool"...teaching a disrespectful student a life lesson, then so be it. Knight didn't act any different in year 29 than he did in year 1. Some people get upset when they think Knight should kiss their ass and he does. Knight made it very clear he kisses no man's ass. I like a man who stays true to his word. I'm less confident in the quote from Harvey than I am with the quote from Knight regarding that fateful day in IU basketball history.
The “Buck” interview was one he recently did with Joe Buck in which he referred to Harvey, who was a legal adult and not in high school at the time Knight foolishly grabbed him, as an”son of a bitch”. Not sure how you defend him on that one, just as I’m sure you wouldn’t defend Harvey had he decked him in response to being grabbed.

The “Buck” interview was one he recently did with Joe Buck in which he referred to Harvey, who was a legal adult and not in high school at the time Knight foolishly grabbed him, as an”son of a bitch”. Not sure how you defend him on that one, just as I’m sure you wouldn’t defend Harvey had he decked him in response to being grabbed.
So you're saying Bob Knight told Buck when he grabbed the Harvey's arm to get his attention, he addressed him as a "son of a bitch" or did Bob Knight refer to the Harvey kid years later in the interview as a son of a bitch? Big difference here "at the time and in his face" vs later. You're right, Harvey wasn't in high school. He was a freshman at IU but that doesn't mean he still can't be a disrespectful punk driving a new Corvette convertible his doting attorney uncle bought for both he and his twin. BTW, he transferred to another college after the incident. Oh, and Bob Knight is 6'5 and overweight. I don't think Bob was too worried about the scrawny kid punching his lights out.

So you're saying Bob Knight told Buck when he grabbed the Harvey's arm to get his attention, he addressed him as a "son of a bitch" or did Bob Knight refer to the Harvey kid years later in the interview as a son of a bitch? Big difference here "at the time and in his face" vs later. You're right, Harvey wasn't in high school. He was a freshman at IU but that doesn't mean he still can't be a disrespectful punk driving a new Corvette convertible his doting attorney uncle bought for both he and his twin. BTW, he transferred to another college after the incident. Oh, and Bob Knight is 6'5 and overweight. I don't think Bob was too worried about the scrawny kid punching his lights out.

If he said that to Buvk he is revising his story. His version has always been Son my name is not Knight to you, it's Coach Knight or Mr. knight.

Oh, believe it when I say "BK Theater" was overlooked because he was winning. I'll always remember a sports commentator saying that if Knight ever stopped winning at the high level he set, the fanbase would turn on him. It did. His antics are part of what made his coaching career here so much fun. There was never a dull moment and winning while doing it simply took it over the top, so to speak. I love Archie to pieces and want him to succeed. I'll be happy if he wins, but at the same time I know a lot of extra bonus coaching entertainment will never be there like it was when Knight was here. That's just based on Archie's demeanor, what little of him I've seen. He's not a natural smiler. It just doesn't appear to be a part of his personality like it is for some.
I don’t find people acting like hypocritical jackasses entertaining, but that’s just me.

Reactions: jnono
If he said that to Buvk he is revising his story. His version has always been Son my name is not Knight to you, it's Coach Knight or Mr. knight.
I think Knight with Buck only referred to him as a son of a bitch after the fact and wasn't insinuating that he called him that to his face at the time of the reprimand. When depositions and news interviews are conducted, those involved say all kinds of things as having been said or done. One never knows for sure, without video and/or tape recorder confirmation.

Miles Brand is dead. It’s a game. Grow up and stop worshipping bullies.

I don’t find people acting like hypocritical jackasses entertaining, but that’s just me.
I'm sorry you missed "BK Theater". I think most of us who witnessed the evolution of Knight from the beginning will call his 29 years fun and entertaining. Those who only caught the tail end of his IU career, those who bought into the biased, negative media accounts think otherwise, in an almost bitter sort of way it seems.

Miles Brand is dead. It’s a game. Grow up and stop worshipping bullies.
Myles Brand's Zero Tolerance Policy was used for his personal gain. The notoriety of standing up to Knight in firing him catapulted Brand to a better job with the NCAA and he soon left Indiana University behind in his dust, damage done. Knight did more good than bad and that's better than what can be said for some others. I have no plans to stop worshipping my favorite "bully". I have no plans to grow up. That would't be any fun and I might become bitter, thinking everyone who doesn't act just like me is a bully.

Reactions: jnono
I'm sorry you missed "BK Theater". I think most of us who witnessed the evolution of Knight from the beginning will call his 29 years fun and entertaining. Those who only caught the tail end of his IU career, those who bought into the biased, negative media accounts think otherwise, in an almost bitter sort of way it seems.

I am fortunate to have always been objective about BK....always.

It got me in trouble with both BK lovers and BK haters at the time but it has allowed me to preserve what I feel are the great contributions and hilarious harmless antics without being disillusioned in the results of his many foibles, his hypocritical positions and ultimate decay into a bitter old man.

I don't dismiss him, but I don't miss him.

No, he referred to Harvey as a “son of a bitch” in the interview. It was classless and idiotic, but that’s RMK. Just glad he’s no longer a part of IU. Hes a disgraceful person.

I liked Knight at one point, but got tired of him being a bully. Same with our president and I assume that's why Knight supported him.

Funny you mention it. I would not at all be surprised if Steve Alford's former coach was in the ear of the US President to discuss the situation with UCLA players in a Chinese prison. That is exactly the kind of thing Knight would do, and exactly the kind of way Trump does business.

Like I've said, there is nothing new. But just to prove it, let's go back a little ways.

From Jon Wertheim's March 2017 Indianapolis Month article on Knight, and discussing his own childhood's "nearly mandatory" reading of Frank DeFord's "The Rabbit Hunter" on Bob Knight's personality. Wertheim discusses the DeFord piece from 1981:

"It also tells of a man distracted by annoyances—the rabbits in the story’s title—to an unhealthy degree. As the subhead reads, Knight “often stalks the insignificant.” The piece quotes Knight’s mentor, basketball coach Pete Newell: “There are times Bobby comes so close to self-destructing.” Edwin Cady, a former IU professor who helped get Knight hired in 1971, added: “He’s in a race now between overcoming immaturity and disaster.”

The story was published on January 26, 1981. A few weeks later, IU won the NCAA title, Knight’s second national championship in five years. He was 40 at the time. The future was pregnant with promise.

Those damn rabbits, though. Knight was routinely undone by what should’ve been minor grievances."

Knight was driven to perfection by the minor annoyances. His genius was in his details and the drive to eradicate mistakes from an imperfect game. No matter how much he donated to the library or how many letters he wrote to help people, he was an explosive and unrelenting perfectionist by fault and by birth. There never was anything anyone could do about it.

That he took Texas Tech to the Sweet 16 with hardly more than a couple of talented guys and a several who were determined, once and for all proved what he could do with his method of coaching. It worked. It always worked, the motion offense would still work because it operated on the simple mantra that open shots are easier to make than contested ones and that moving makes guys harder to guard.

Some of you would adopt a crocodile and expect it to be your family pet then have it put down when it bit you.

Knight was a dominant presence in college basketball for decades and a few revisionists views on history won't change that.

No, he referred to Harvey as a “son of a bitch” in the interview. It was classless and idiotic, but that’s RMK. Just glad he’s no longer a part of IU. Hes a disgraceful person.
If I had done as much for the university as Knight and a "user" like Myles Brand canned my ass after not supporting my attempt to teach a disrespectful youth a lesson in manners, I would have called the son of a bitch something worse than that myself! I don't think the average fan has any clue what was going on behind the scene to get rid of Knight once the new breed took control of the "teaching" institution known as Indiana University.

I am fortunate to have always been objective about BK....always.

It got me in trouble with both BK lovers and BK haters at the time but it has allowed me to preserve what I feel are the great contributions and hilarious harmless antics without being disillusioned in the results of his many foibles, his hypocritical positions and ultimate decay into a bitter old man.

I don't dismiss him, but I don't miss him.
I have a theory that one's distain for Bob Knight as "bully" is directly proportional to their distain for Donald Trump. In other words, those people classifying themselves as Knight haters are more likely to be liberal Democrats. Now let me make something clear, I think Knight is a "bully", too, it is his aggressive personality, but I don't hate him for it. I love the man for instructing kids that I support...those wearing the IU uniform, how to play the game of basketball to their maximum potential. Sure, he stepped on some toes along the way - welcome to the club, Big Boy! I am a Knight supporter. I am a Trump supporter. I am an American. Now, before you say it for me, I'll tell you that the same theory I just spoke of holds true for conservative Republicans more likely to think of Knight in good light. I don't dismiss him because I miss him. Since he was dismissed, an IU basketball team isn't as difficult to play against. IU's opponents weren't pissed when he was dismissed. Those IU fans pissed at Bob Knight today are in large part, liberal Democrats, hating our nation's president, too. You got a lot of hatred going on there, Troublemakers! But that's just another one of (What's that make it...#3, but I won't argue with "2") my own personal theories, yet to be proven. Hey, in the neighborhood it's a beautiful day, by the way. I stroll in peace.

If I had done as much for the university as Knight and a "user" like Myles Brand canned my ass after not supporting my attempt to teach a disrespectful youth a lesson in manners, I would have called the son of a bitch something worse than that myself! I don't think the average fan has any clue what was going on behind the scene to get rid of Knight once the new breed took control of the "teaching" institution known as Indiana University.
It’s clear that your knowledge of him is very modest, at best.

I have a theory that one's distain for Bob Knight as "bully" is directly proportional to their distain for Donald Trump. In other words, those people classifying themselves as Knight haters are more likely to be liberal Democrats. Now let me make something clear, I think Knight is a "bully", too, it is his aggressive personality, but I don't hate him for it. I love the man for instructing kids that I support...those wearing the IU uniform, how to play the game of basketball to their maximum potential. Sure, he stepped on some toes along the way - welcome to the club, Big Boy! I am a Knight supporter. I am a Trump supporter. I am an American. Now, before you say it for me, I'll tell you that the same theory I just spoke of holds true for conservative Republicans more likely to think of Knight in good light. I don't dismiss him because I miss him. Since he was dismissed, an IU basketball team isn't as difficult to play against. IU's opponents weren't pissed when he was dismissed. Those IU fans pissed at Bob Knight today are in large part, liberal Democrats, hating our nation's president, too. You got a lot of hatred going on there, Troublemakers! But that's just another one of (What's that make it...#3, but I won't argue with "2") my own personal theories, yet to be proven. Hey, in the neighborhood it's a beautiful day, by the way. I stroll in peace.

As a moderate objective independent I see where I fit in there. I have been labeled a BK apologist and a BK hater. A Trump lover and a Trump hater. A Clinton Apologist and a Clinton hater. An IU homer and a PU fan. A F Glass apologist and a F Glass hater. A Crean apologist and a Crean hater.

I despise both MSNBC and FOX. Go figure.

Reactions: abraxis
As a moderate objective independent I see where I fit in there. I have been labeled a BK apologist and a BK hater. A Trump lover and a Trump hater. A Clinton Apologist and a Clinton hater. An IU homer and a PU fan. A F Glass apologist and a F Glass hater. A Crean apologist and a Crean hater.

I despise both MSNBC and FOX. Go figure.
You got (sic) some heavy yin-yang going on there, Man, and for that I admire you. Safe travels, my "Mighty Man of Such Yin-Yang!"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT