ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk Haston comments on Knight's return

Reactions: Sassy61
Thanks for this link and also for the video. I enjoyed both.

Some on this board can be negative about RMK and this was a breath of fresh air.

IMHO,Knight was a basketball genius. I always had the expectation of winning when he was on the bench. When our ship is righted, I will have the same feeling about Archie.

Fun link to watch. Thanks for sharing.

Kirk Haston was a player! Good with either hand shooting jump hooks over either shoulder. Footwork was very good. I would have loved for him to come back one more year to play in the 2002 championship game against Maryland.

Thanks for this link and also for the video. I enjoyed both.

Some on this board can be negative about RMK and this was a breath of fresh air.

Yeah, I don't know why it always has to be so black and white with RMK. Yes he could be a crazy guy that did some bad stuff, and yes he was great coach that did some great stuff. Enjoy the good, acknowledge the bad. We are all complex.

If Kirk was ahead of your time, or if you have forgotten how good he was, these highlights will give you an idea of why he was a #1 pick as a junior.

One of the most pleasant and unexpected surprises as a player I remember. Really didn't expect much out of the unheralded kid from a small school in TN, but he always had good touch and instincts right from the beginning. Yes, it has been a very, VERY long time since I expected us to win almost every time we took the floor. I hope to see the day when that happens again.

One of the most pleasant and unexpected surprises as a player I remember. Really didn't expect much out of the unheralded kid from a small school in TN, but he always had good touch and instincts right from the beginning. Yes, it has been a very, VERY long time since I expected us to win almost every time we took the floor. I hope to see the day when that happens again.
Not only a pleasant and an unexpected surprise for the reasons you mentioned. But Haston emerged after we lost Jason Collier (RIP) to transfer. I remember Knight talking about having a kid who could replace Collier and do more things. I thought it was hyperbole but he was right. Haston was terrific.

Yeah, I don't know why it always has to be so black and white with RMK. Yes he could be a crazy guy that did some bad stuff, and yes he was great coach that did some great stuff. Enjoy the good, acknowledge the bad. We are all complex.
He taught the game to people other than his players. His TV show was a classroom ad made us a very knowledgeable fan base.

RMK instilled the importance of defense to me at his basketball camp with one demonstration that I never forgot. With Buckner and May (still in a cast) he showed proper defensive stance. He took the ball away from them and broke down the time in a game you actually have the ball in your hands. He then stressed you are on defense half of the game and one player can affect the game more on defense if they are not doing their job. The message was team defense requires everyone doing their job.

He was flawed as a person as we all are, but he was a great teacher and coach. We accepted his flaws because he delivered success on the court. Times changed, but he didn't.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT