ADVERTISEMENT

Khristian Lander

MikeHoncho69

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2018
While it's public knowledge that Lander's goal is to reclassify to the 2020 class, I'm told an official announcement will be made from his camp shortly following the conclusion of F.J. Reitz High School's second semester on Friday, May 22nd.

The addition of Lander to IU's 2020-21 roster will give the Hoosiers a dynamic, play-making guard with excellent shooting ability, which the program has been sorely lacking.

While it's public knowledge that Lander's goal is to reclassify to the 2020 class, I'm told an official announcement will be made from his camp shortly following the conclusion of F.J. Reitz High School's second semester on Friday, May 22nd.

The addition of Lander to IU's 2020-21 roster will give the Hoosiers a dynamic, play-making guard with excellent shooting ability, which the program has been sorely lacking.

I think he's very important to our success this coming year. We might be able to "get by" with Durham or Franklin as backup PG, but having a 2nd true PG on the roster is very important imo and should always be a goal in case of injury or illness. Same with a 5... all positions really, but I think those 2 are more important as there's more crossover between 2-3 and 3-4.

Reactions: birdforbogey
Also for the "Archie can't recruit/recruiting is dead" camp, Lander re-classify should give IU the top rated recruiting class in the B10 and potentially a top 10 class nationally. Would be his second in 3 years.
I did some math on the 247 site, and had to do a little estimated math on what Lander's 2020 score would be, but if Lander is added to the 2020 class, IU's class would easily be ranked 11th, and possibly 10th.

Last edited:

He's going to help us for sure. At least he's lightning quick and can have the potential to stay in front of his man defensively. I know he's slight of build but last year, too many times opposing guards made one move and had nothing but air in front of them to the hoop. 160 pounds in front of them is better than nothing.

He's going to help us for sure. At least he's lightning quick and can have the potential to stay in front of his man defensively. I know he's slight of build but last year, too many times opposing guards made one move and had nothing but air in front of them to the hoop. 160 pounds in front of them is better than nothing.
He just has to match or exceed Devonte Green’s production and efficiency for this team to take another step forward in guard play. I expect that to happen.

Lander adds potentially Yogi-like ability to IU, quicker, faster, and a higher leaper than Yogi.

Reactions: IULouie
Lander adds potentially Yogi-like ability to IU, quicker, faster, and a higher leaper than Yogi.

I think Yogi's first step was better than Landers, meaning he was more explosive with the initial dribble.

Good news if Lander joins next year. Biggest risk is an injury to Brunk or TJD (God forbid) - we would be really thin up front and that would severely limit the ceiling on next year's team if that would happen. Even adding a Grad Transfer for one year who could add depth at 5-10 per game and step in if Brunk or TJD get into foul trouble would help.

If Brunk or TJD go down with an injury having Race is nice but it will impact our ability to guard the top level bigs in the B10 and outside. Need another body just in case. It is hard to find that guy because barring an injury he will not play much (5 min. or less) but with an injury or other issue he would jump to 15-20 per game.

We have plenty of wing depth. Plenty. And if Lander shows up we will have plenty of guard depth.

Playing Justin Smith and Hunter in post defensive spot or power forward role will be an issue if it comes to that. Spot minutes would be fine, but taking the bulk of those minutes will hurt us.

It now looks like have 6 scholarship to give over the next 2 years. If one goes to Lander that is 5 remaining. I would make 2021 a 4 player class with 2 commits already - we could add 2 more (Trey & Aminu). That would leave one for this fall if we could find someone. Either that 5th year guy or perhaps a 2021 late re-class option or an overseas guy.

Just some thoughts on how to cover the bases this year. Archie needs a huge season (assuming it happens).

Good news if Lander joins next year. Biggest risk is an injury to Brunk or TJD (God forbid) - we would be really thin up front and that would severely limit the ceiling on next year's team if that would happen. Even adding a Grad Transfer for one year who could add depth at 5-10 per game and step in if Brunk or TJD get into foul trouble would help.

If Brunk or TJD go down with an injury having Race is nice but it will impact our ability to guard the top level bigs in the B10 and outside. Need another body just in case. It is hard to find that guy because barring an injury he will not play much (5 min. or less) but with an injury or other issue he would jump to 15-20 per game.

We have plenty of wing depth. Plenty. And if Lander shows up we will have plenty of guard depth.

Playing Justin Smith and Hunter in post defensive spot or power forward role will be an issue if it comes to that. Spot minutes would be fine, but taking the bulk of those minutes will hurt us.

It now looks like have 6 scholarship to give over the next 2 years. If one goes to Lander that is 5 remaining. I would make 2021 a 4 player class with 2 commits already - we could add 2 more (Trey & Aminu). That would leave one for this fall if we could find someone. Either that 5th year guy or perhaps a 2021 late re-class option or an overseas guy.

Just some thoughts on how to cover the bases this year. Archie needs a huge season (assuming it happens).
I'm hoping Hunter adds more dimensions to his game. In HS he played inside quite a bit and was supposed to be pretty good there. He just hung around the 3-point line last year but that needs to change if he's going to meet his potential. He can, and should, become a guy that can play inside or out as well as drive. If he can get to that he'll be a matchup nightmare for other teams. I don't expect him to get there by next season but I'm hoping he can make significant strides in that direction.

With Lander the PG position looks good and you're correct that there is plenty of depth on the wing. All the more reason for Hunter to want to add more options to his game since last year he was basically a catch and shoot 2/3 who didn't handle the ball. Next season there will be a handful of other players who could do that, too.

Reactions: FormerRevMatt
I can't predict the future but I love comparisons to Yogi.
me too...but by his senior year, Yogi was built like a fullback with 4.4 sec speed.
I saw one of the 2013 season games last week, and that's when I realized how much time Yogi spend doing dumbbell curls while at IU. He wasn't skinny his frosh season but he also wasn't sporting those guns he had when he was a senior. He was one strong little summbitch.

Reactions: BigMobe
I'm hoping Hunter adds more dimensions to his game. In HS he played inside quite a bit and was supposed to be pretty good there. He just hung around the 3-point line last year but that needs to change if he's going to meet his potential. He can, and should, become a guy that can play inside or out as well as drive. If he can get to that he'll be a matchup nightmare for other teams. I don't expect him to get there by next season but I'm hoping he can make significant strides in that direction.

With Lander the PG position looks good and you're correct that there is plenty of depth on the wing. All the more reason for Hunter to want to add more options to his game since last year he was basically a catch and shoot 2/3 who didn't handle the ball. Next season there will be a handful of other players who could do that, too.
Hunter has a fluidity to his game not many players have. He and Armaan Franklin were two players I hope to see develop their games over the summer and into the fall.

Some have said coronavirus preventing teams from getting together for off-season workouts hurts player development, but the best players have an inner drive to get better on their own. I'm hoping that's the case for both players.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
Every year some teams have some players who dramatically develop. Victor Oladipo was probably our best example. I do not know who if anyone will make that dramatic jump this year

Every year some teams have some players who dramatically develop. Victor Oladipo was probably our best example. I do not know who if anyone will make that dramatic jump this year
If anyone does, my money would be on Hunter. He's had a season to knock the rust off, get acclimated to the game, and see exactly the things he has to work on. That, coupled with no having to take it easy and/or rehab this offseason, could mean he has a huge breakthrough. At least under normal conditions, which this is not. But if he has access to a court and weight room then it might be possible. I think the coaching staff is still trying to train through video conferencing. Not as good as in person, I'm sure, but better than nothing.

Also for the "Archie can't recruit/recruiting is dead" camp, Lander re-classifying should give IU the top rated recruiting class in the B10 and potentially a top 10 class nationally. Would be his second in 3 years.
This is not true. Not even close to reality.

We really need him next year. We currently have a team of role players and need more playmakers. He checks that box.

This is not true. Not even close to reality.

Lol.

They're currently third in the B10 with just Leal, Galloway, and Geronimo. Michigan is rated 1st in the B10 and 8th nationally with three 4*'s and 3* who is rated 348th in the country. Once Lander re-classifies, he'll be rated higher than Michigan's top ranked recruit and IU's lowest rated recruit, Trey Galloway (130th 247 composite), is rated 218 spots higher than Michigan's lowest rated recruit.

https://247sports.com/college/michigan/Season/2020-Basketball/Commits/

IU will have the #1 rated recruiting class in the B10 after Lander reclassifies and a top 10 recruiting class. Book it danno.

Lol.

They're currently third in the B10 with just Leal, Galloway, and Geronimo. Michigan is rated 1st in the B10 and 8th nationally with three 4*'s and 3* who is rated 348th in the country. Once Lander re-classifies, he'll be rated higher than Michigan's top ranked recruit and IU's lowest rated recruit, Trey Galloway (130th 247 composite), is rated 218 spots higher than Michigan's lowest rated recruit.

https://247sports.com/college/michigan/Season/2020-Basketball/Commits/

IU will have the #1 rated recruiting class in the B10 after Lander reclassifies and a top 10 recruiting class. Book it danno.
No chance you’re a coach with your fascination with star ratings. Another fanboi.

I'll just say this about Lander and I've seen him multiple times..
I'd temper expectations...Thousands were disappointed in Romeo's performance..
Lander isn't Romeo...In any phase of the game..
Maybe he comes in .And tears it up..Hope he does.
I've yet to be impressed..

Won’t be a 15-16 ppg guy and I don’t think I’ve seen anyone remotely put those kinds of expectations on him. But he easily because the most dynamic guard on the team. IU hasn’t had a guard who can break down the opposition and get to the rim since Romeo.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
Everyone knows where you live, Ordy. You can disclose if you wish, but not everyone is a clueless moron like you. ;)
Well, I don’t know about Ordy, but I live rent free in your head. Why else would you desperately follow me around, as you’ve done for several months? Love how insecure you are, especially after being so wrong about IU basketball. Lol

I don't know what games you saw, but this is what I saw. He is content to let his teammates score and carry the load whenever possible. He does this because he has the confidence and knows he can get his points and score whenever his team needs him.

Leal has a similar attitude. They make winning plays and know what the right play is at the right time. There will be a learning curve and a wicked crossover at the high school level may not be as effective in college. His skills will be be appreciated and what we have been lacking.

CAM has never talked about Hunter as 4, but he has constantly talked about him being able to be a 2. don't look for much help from JH at the 4.

Won’t be a 15-16 ppg guy and I don’t think I’ve seen anyone remotely put those kinds of expectations on him. But he easily because the most dynamic guard on the team. IU hasn’t had a guard who can break down the opposition and get to the rim since Romeo.
I hope he can have a season like Yogi did during his freshman yr. Yogi was a very solid pg who got the ball to the right places and also could knock down an open shot. Lander can shoot the ball no doubt. I like the idea of him being on the team during the upcoming season.

I hope he can have a season like Yogi did during his freshman yr. Yogi was a very solid pg who got the ball to the right places and also could knock down an open shot. Lander can shoot the ball no doubt. I like the idea of him being on the team during the upcoming season.

he needs to play bigger than yogi did as a freshmen. Yogi was the 5th option lander needs to be the 3rd or 4th.

CAM has never talked about Hunter as 4, but he has constantly talked about him being able to be a 2. don't look for much help from JH at the 4.
Archie did talk in his visit to Evansville that Hunter had the size to play an interior game as well as a perimeter game. I could see him able to play inside more as he gets stronger and used to the physical contact. I would like him to become a shooter that can score from anywhere and defend multiple positions.

ADVERTISEMENT