ADVERTISEMENT

Key ruling in WI vote by mail

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
So A federal Appeals court has upheld the WI ballot extension that allows ballots postmarked by Nov 3 and received by Nov 9 to be counted.
The WI GOP Legislators, RNC, and Trump campaign had sued to reverse the extension, but the Court ruled the Republican plaintiffs did not have standing and no one was harmed. The Pubs could try and get SCOTUS to intervene, but the appellate decision seems pretty straightforward...

"The court said the ruling did not order the state and national Republican parties to do something or forbid them from doing anything.

“Neither group contends that the new deadlines established by the district court would violate the constitutional rights of any of their members,” the appeals court said. “The political organizations themselves do not suffer any injury caused by the judgment.”

The Legislature does not have standing to represent a general state interest in federal court, the appeals court said."

Perhaps most noteworthy about this particular court's ruling is that all 3 of the Justices were appointed by Republicans, one each of Reagan,Bush 1 and drumroll... Trump...

Reactions: Bill4411
So A federal Appeals court has upheld the WI ballot extension that allows ballots postmarked by Nov 3 and received by Nov 9 to be counted.
The WI GOP Legislators, RNC, and Trump campaign had sued to reverse the extension, but the Court ruled the Republican plaintiffs did not have standing and no one was harmed. The Pubs could try and get SCOTUS to intervene, but the appellate decision seems pretty straightforward...

"The court said the ruling did not order the state and national Republican parties to do something or forbid them from doing anything.

“Neither group contends that the new deadlines established by the district court would violate the constitutional rights of any of their members,” the appeals court said. “The political organizations themselves do not suffer any injury caused by the judgment.”

The Legislature does not have standing to represent a general state interest in federal court, the appeals court said."

Perhaps most noteworthy about this particular court's ruling is that all 3 of the Justices were appointed by Republicans, one each of Reagan,Bush 1 and drumroll... Trump
I'll be. It's not all political

The GOP is going to have trouble with these cases because they cannot prove actual harm. Claiming that widespread voter fraud, which has never happened, could possibly happen is nothing but speculation. These are motion to dismiss cases.

The GOP is going to have trouble with these cases because they cannot prove actual harm. Claiming that widespread voter fraud, which has never happened, could possibly happen is nothing but speculation. These are motion to dismiss cases.

The Supreme Court can't bail Trump out unless the State SOS/State Courts are in on the act, especially since Trump's new justice won't be on the court for a few more weeks.

I doubt Roberts wants to get heavily involved.

Now, "state legislatures override the will of the people and appoint their own electors because Trump allegeds pretty much baseless massive fraud despite Biden clearly winning the state" is legally possible but would probably lead to a really bad outcome for the country.

Perhaps most noteworthy about this particular court's ruling is that all 3 of the Justices were appointed by Republicans, one each of Reagan,Bush 1 and drumroll... Trump...
Note to Cosmickid:

The Seventh Circuit Court of appeals that ruled in the Wisconsin case you posted about is the same federal appeals court that would rule in the Indiana case, if the Republicans appeal it. However, the Seventh Circuit has more than three judges, so it is unknown whether such an appeal of the Indiana case would be resolved by the same three appeals judges that decided the Wisconsin case.

Reactions: cosmickid
Looks like Trump may be in trouble in Texas. This looks like a pretty blatant move by Abbott to keep the vote count down.

Looks like Trump may be in trouble in Texas. This looks like a pretty blatant move by Abbott to keep the vote count down.

It's blatant. And it's likely an admission from Trump supporters like Abbott and the Sec of State in Ohio that Trump simply can NOT win if eligible voters are allowed to vote in the numbers that it appears they will. They've tried to do the same thing in Ohio- limiting voting ballot box locations to 1 per county...

OK, Trump supporters what possible defense can there be for LIMITING ballot box locations? It's indefensible. If more voters in a state are pro-Trump then obviously there is nothing to lose by allowing the "minority" anti-Trump voters to cast their ballots You know since the "majority of voters" support Trump and Republicans want HONEST ELECTIONS...LOL...

It's blatant. And it's likely an admission from Trump supporters like Abbott and the Sec of State in Ohio that Trump simply can NOT win if eligible voters are allowed to vote in the numbers that it appears they will. They've tried to do the same thing in Ohio- limiting voting ballot box locations to 1 per county...

OK, Trump supporters what possible defense can there be for LIMITING ballot box locations? It's indefensible. If more voters in a state are pro-Trump then obviously there is nothing to lose by allowing the "minority" anti-Trump voters to cast their ballots You know since the "majority of voters" support Trump and Republicans want HONEST ELECTIONS...LOL...

Republicans don’t want honest, fair elections. They want to win. How they get there is not their concern.

Reactions: Timmy!

It was stupid for them to think that would or should work. Postmarks are federal labels. If they don't count for something, we might as well end contracts, agreements, etc.

It was stupid for them to think that would or should work. Postmarks are federal labels. If they don't count for something, we might as well end contracts, agreements, etc.
The Texas law might require ballots be in hand rather than postmarked. I don't know one way or another.

I think you are wrong!
They can certainly prove that voting by mail hurts Trump because Trump follows are less likely able to vote by mail.

I get what you're saying, but that would be pretty unique given the federal nature of a postmark. Not sure a state law could override that.
What "override"? If the law says the ballot has to be in hand by such and such a date, a postmark has nothing to do with it.

What "override"? If the law says the ballot has to be in hand by such and such a date, a postmark has nothing to do with it.

This is correct. The state law controls and those laws dictate when the ballot has to be received. The GOP is losing these cases everywhere because they cannot establish any harm at all. The courts are loath to disenfranchise a citizen of their vote when the “harm” is it will take longer to count and have an official tally.

Fine, but postmarks are the only assurances of anything in mail. When you go by any other method, it's too subjective. That said, I would never mail in my ballot. Not because I don't trust the mail, but I don't trust the people handling it. (Not that I would ever know if my ballot was counted or not.)

If this country wanted to truly vote electronically and remotely, we could and do it safely.

I will know when my ballot is received. It won't be opened and scanned until election day, but the external bar code will be scanned to tell me that it arrived safely. My wife's arrived safely, 2 days after putting it into the mail box. Mine goes into the mailbox today.

I don't think the Pubs are smart.
They could come up with "Let only the Republicans vote!"
That will solve the problem el pronto!

Right, Lucy?

I have never met anyone in computer security who believes that to be true.

Randall says it better than I could:

voting_software.png

ADVERTISEMENT