ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Peoples from Tulane new DL coach....

Am I as excited as I was initially about Burton? No. Am I open minded about him? Yes.

seems like he has a reputation for “creating pressure with his lives” but all at smaller schools/programs. Can he recruit well? TBD.

not totally underwhelmed but certainly not blown away. Will just have to see how it plays out. Hopefully he wants to knock it out of the park for his own resume sake and guessing he’s quite excited about this opportunity to go against some real big boys now.

Fee lime a lot of returning talent, all getting bigger over spring/summer.

Fingers crossed he is a good hire, do wish him the best of course, but it’s got to be a case of trust but verify here. He doesn’t have the obvious Burton track record out of the gates.

Am I as excited as I was initially about Burton? No. Am I open minded about him? Yes.

seems like he has a reputation for “creating pressure with his lives” but all at smaller schools/programs. Can he recruit well? TBD.

not totally underwhelmed but certainly not blown away. Will just have to see how it plays out. Hopefully he wants to knock it out of the park for his own resume sake and guessing he’s quite excited about this opportunity to go against some real big boys now.

Fingers crossed he is a good hire, do wish him the best of course, but it’s got to be a case of trust but verify here. He doesn’t have the obvious Burton track record out of the gates.
Well, Nick Saban thought enough of him to interview him for his DL coach at ‘Bama in 2018, he came in 2nd to a better / bigger resume, but that speaks volumes .

CTA does know him personally from both coaching at Arkansas State....so he be good with "the culture" Coach Allen is developing & a great hire for Indiana.

Last edited:
I'm hoping for the best, glad we have someone on board/staff now set. Think sometimes those coaches given a great opportunity may work a bit harder, which we could see with this coach, Sheridan, Wright and hopefully Womack has a great 2nd year after a good, but not great 1st year as DC.

Hoosiers ranked #26 in a preseason poll I saw today, so the secret is out, the Hoosiers could be strong next year. Hoping Peoples does well.

I’m pretty happy. Having watched Willie Fritz tape over the course of the last few years, that guy doesn’t hire chumps. He has a very good coaching staff. Peoples will be a more than capable replacement for Hagen.
He’ll also provide recruiting contacts in Louisiana and southwest territory. Should be a good pickup.

I’m not familiar with him; I was hoping for the home run hire. However looking forward to his contributions. Based on his bio he has a lot of defensive line experience.

Who is a home run hire that you had in mind? This is a position coach and there are plenty of good ones out there. Fritz has a really good staff and I think we nabbed a good one. Time will tell.

I'm hoping for the best, glad we have someone on board/staff now set. Think sometimes those coaches given a great opportunity may work a bit harder, which we could see with this coach, Sheridan, Wright and hopefully Womack has a great 2nd year after a good, but not great 1st year as DC.

Hoosiers ranked #26 in a preseason poll I saw today, so the secret is out, the Hoosiers could be strong next year. Hoping Peoples does well.
This post just totally reminded how screwed we are in the coaching staff department. Digesting and accepting this hire was halfway over and then you mentioned Sheridan and Wommack and the self therapy began again. Bringing up that we were so close to being relevant when this all went down only hurts worse.

Don't worry, I'll be on the wagon passing out the Kool-Aid in late August.

Reactions: DANC
This post just totally reminded how screwed we are in the coaching staff department. Digesting and accepting this hire was halfway over and then you mentioned Sheridan and Wommack and the self therapy began again. Bringing up that we were so close to being relevant when this all went down only hurts worse.

Burton and Tressel have known Tucker for 20 years. Burton was such a “home run” that most forgot he was on our coaching staff 20 years ago.
We’ll be fine.

I don't know if Peoples was a "good hire" or not, but in any event I'm more concerned about the safeties (J Jones' group) than the DL.

Reactions: 76-1
Burton and Tressel have known Tucker for 20 years. Burton was such a “home run” that most forgot he was on our coaching staff 20 years ago.
We’ll be fine.
Most concerned about Sheridan, secondmost concern is Womack, and this guy is not as worrisome because, quite frankly, our dline play has been poor since 2016 (if you're kind) or 2007 (if you're honest).

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
Most concerned about Sheridan, secondmost concern is Womack, and this guy is not as worrisome because, quite frankly, our dline play has been poor since 2016 (if you're kind) or 2007 (if you're honest).

Our DL was tremendously better the past couple years than they were at any time during Wilson’s first 5 years. We aren’t very good at pass rush and that’s concerning but the run defense is light years ahead of what we saw in say 2015. The defense was pretty good in the bowl game until late in the game.

Who is a home run hire that you had in mind? This is a position coach and there are plenty of good ones out there. Fritz has a really good staff and I think we nabbed a good one. Time will tell.
BRCB, I don’t want to take anything away from Coach Peoples as he might prove to be great. I guess if I had to define the individual it would have been someone with recent power 5 conference experience.

BRCB, I don’t want to take anything away from Coach Peoples as he might prove to be great. I guess if I had to define the individual it would have been someone with recent power 5 conference experience.

And yes Burton had been at IU years ago, but he did have a pretty strong run of DL success and recruiting.

Hoping People’s will be solid.

Not bad. He seems to keep hiring his buddies. I was hoping he’d make bigger splashes but it is what it is. We see what hiring buddies has done for Archie Miller.

Not bad. He seems to keep hiring his buddies. I was hoping he’d make bigger splashes but it is what it is. We see what hiring buddies has done for Archie Miller.
From what I could glean CTA and Coach Peoples have no direct link. It looks like they were in the same area of the country but it doesn't appear that they were buddies. Unless I missed something.

It could be that I've bought into the #LEO salesmanship a bit too much, but it could be argued that he leans toward people he knows will fit into the culture he's created/still creating here.

Fingers crossed.

Don’t be so glum. You just cannot compare the situation at IU to Michigan or OSU. The current guys are doing so much better than the 2016 or even the 2007 IU teams as a whole.

There will be areas of the team that will do better some years than others as the recruiting goes, but overall things are really looking up. We will probably all get our expectations up too far this year again as always and will have to deal with some disappointments but this coach believes in incremental improvements and has shown he can do that, day by day and year by year. What more can we ask?

This DL has some nice young talent. Hopefully this coach can mold them into a B1G competitive unit. That’s all I desire from him. Along with some good recruiting. We will just have to wait and see how he does over the next several years. No other choice. But I’m pretty happy with where IU football is right now.

So close to being relevant? We’re currently ranked 26th and 27th in two preseason polls.

Peoples almost got the Alabama D-Line job a couple of years ago.

This is very silly.

Almost got Alabama job a few years ago does add some credibility. People can vent some honesty that the hire didn't jump off the page like the MSU coach did or someone from another top D1 school who had a good track record would have. That said, Coach Peoples deserves a benefit of the doubt and think we all hope he take what seems to be a good, young base that now has more experience, and makes it into a strength of the team next year.

It could be that I've bought into the #LEO salesmanship a bit too much, but it could be argued that he leans toward people he knows will fit into the culture he's created/still creating here.

Fingers crossed.

I’m not discounting your arguments. I obviously like the shape we are in which is the best I can remember. I just want Allen to make sure it lasts.

Almost got Alabama job a few years ago does add some credibility. People can vent some honesty that the hire didn't jump off the page like the MSU coach did or someone from another top D1 school who had a good track record would have. That said, Coach Peoples deserves a benefit of the doubt and think we all hope he take what seems to be a good, young base that now has more experience, and makes it into a strength of the team next year.

Fit matters at IU right now maybe more than elsewhere and maybe more than in our own recent past.

#LEO has been the cornerstone for Allen
The team and staff seem to have bought in
Some fans have - some have not

It created a sound 2 deep.
It gave us depth to survive the kinds of injuries that cost us multiple games in past seasons.

Right NOW we face some "new level" losses for the first time in Allen's tenure

A really good OC
A great recruiter who coached LB's in our 4-2 and then ST's.
A really good OG
A really good QB
A really good RB
At a time we need to "validate" an 8 win bowl season and take the NEXT step, despite these new-level losses.

Can we fill the post-2019 holes?

To do that, we need a coach who "fits" and can hit the ground running.

This guy talks the talk.

I like the AAC and - along with Navy - Tulane is the academic stalwart of the league, while going up against some nice teams.

Building an effective defense at Tulane shows a lot.

He will need to take it up a notch though. He will face some guys at a whole new level in our league.

Fit matters at IU right now maybe more than elsewhere and maybe more than in our own recent past.

#LEO has been the cornerstone for Allen
The team and staff seem to have bought in
Some fans have - some have not

It created a sound 2 deep.
It gave us depth to survive the kinds of injuries that cost us multiple games in past seasons.

Right NOW we face some "new level" losses for the first time in Allen's tenure

A really good OC
A great recruiter who coached LB's in our 4-2 and then ST's.
A really good OG
A really good QB
A really good RB
At a time we need to "validate" an 8 win bowl season and take the NEXT step, despite these new-level losses.

Can we fill the post-2019 holes?

To do that, we need a coach who "fits" and can hit the ground running.

This guy talks the talk.

I like the AAC and - along with Navy - Tulane is the academic stalwart of the league, while going up against some nice teams.

Building an effective defense at Tulane shows a lot.

He will need to take it up a notch though. He will face some guys at a whole new level in our league.
Agree with your post, but I'm not sure we lost a 'really good' RB.

Walker was very good depth with a strong upside. Problem is, he rarely saw he field and the staff seemed to use him mainly for run blocking. He may have been 'really good', but if he's not on the field, what good does it do us? Kind of like Penix - he's 'really really good' - when he's on the field. When he's not, he's not much use.

And our OL looked really bad with Stepo out for the Gator Bowl. That needs to get fixed and hopefully Powell can step in and plug that hole.

Biggest loss, by far, is the OC. It's going to be a total crapshoot whether or not we can keep up that level with a QB prone to injury.

Reactions: red hornet
Agree with your post, but I'm not sure we lost a 'really good' RB.

Walker was very good depth with a strong upside. Problem is, he rarely saw he field and the staff seemed to use him mainly for run blocking. He may have been 'really good', but if he's not on the field, what good does it do us? Kind of like Penix - he's 'really really good' - when he's on the field. When he's not, he's not much use.

And our OL looked really bad with Stepo out for the Gator Bowl. That needs to get fixed and hopefully Powell can step in and plug that hole.

Biggest loss, by far, is the OC. It's going to be a total crapshoot whether or not we can keep up that level with a QB prone to injury.

Sheridan is my biggest concern with this team. Just too risky of a move at this current time. We could have gotten someone more proven.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
Sheridan is my biggest concern with this team. Just too risky of a move at this current time. We could have gotten someone more proven.
I agree that Sheridan is a big question but I trust coach Allen to know if he can be a very good OC. Every outstanding OC had to get their start somewhere and Sheridan may prove to be a very good OC but we will have to wait and see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT