ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Mr. Baseball commits to IU....

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
AJ Hacker's commitment came yesterday and has been included in their baseball commitment article at iubase.com. In addition to being the state Mr. Baseball, he was also the Kentucky Gatorade Player of the Year and Prep Baseball Report Kentucky Player of the Year after this season. He played for Rowan County H.S. and he was originally a Morehead State recruit. As a senior, he went 11-2 with a 0.60 ERA and hit .448. FWIW, one poster at bluegrasspreps.com called it a pretty big pickup for IU and another said he chose IU over offers from UK and UofL. Needless to say, that is second or even third hand information.

Last edited:
His commitment came yesterday and has been included in their baseball commitment article at iubase.com. In addition to being the state Mr. Baseball, he was also the Kentucky Gatorade Player of the Year and Prep Baseball Report Kentucky Player of the Year after this season. He played for Rowan County H.S. and he was originally a Morehead State recruit. As a senior, he went 11-2 with a 0.60 ERA and hit .448. FWIW, one poster at bluegrasspreps.com called it a pretty big pickup for IU and another said he chose IU over offers from UK and UofL. Needless to say, that is second or even third hand information.

There were two names new to me...Hacker, and Grant Macciocchi, the transfer from UK.

Macciocchi looks like a grad transfer. He played for Tim Held at Moeller HS in Cincy. I assume Tim Held is a father/brother/cousin to IU asst coach Dan Held. He has an odd history. His UK bio says he was Ohio Player of the Year in 2015. Moeller won the state title that year...he was the winning pitcher and was 3/4 with 4 RBIs at the plate. For the season, 10-0 in 11 starts with a .97 era while hitting .406. UK listed him as 6'4" 190 lbs....

So he goes to Missouri, where he appeared in 6 games starting 2 as a freshman. 1-0 with a 4.35 era.in 10.1 innings..OBA .244. So then he transfers from Missouri to Murray St. College, a JC. He's a 2nd team JUCO AA there, hitting .393 with .491 OB%....98 hits in 242 ABs, with 23 doubles, 7 triples, 4 HRs, 50 RBI, 43 BBs, 23 Ks, 32 SBs....also, 7-0 pitching, 2.3 era, 52 Ks in 58.2 innings, 13 BBs. Rated #127 JUCO prospect.

Then he goes to UK....in 11 Apps, 34.2 IPs, 43 hits, 26 ERs, 30 Ks, 8 BBs. 6.75 era. As a batter, 1 hit in 12 ABs, 2 Ks, 1 BB.

So.....apparently a talented guy but a rough college career......I noticed the iubase story listed him as a middle infield/RHP, so we'll see what happens with him.

With regard to Hacker, the Max Prep #s on him are very good. He's listed as 6'3" 190 lbs In addition to the #s you mentioed, he had 17 career HRs and 23 SBs. For his career, he had 408 Ks in 259.2 IPs, with 120 BBs...also, as a hitter, .593 OB% 30 BBs with 13 Ks. He was a really, really good pitcher for 2 years, and a really, really good hitter for 1 yr in HS.

I also noticed that there are a total of 21 new players listed as '19 recruits.......that's 6-7 more than I've ever known about in 1 year at IU. Elsewhere I mentioned that I knew of 3 players leaving that might surprise folks. I think the turnover will be pretty high.

One final note--one name that I did NOT see listed was David Platt, out of Quakertown , PA, a RHP. I have seen him mentioned as an IU recruit and a good prospect. I don't know his status.

EDIT---Couple of other things.....of 21 names, only 1 is a LHP.....of 7 verbal commits for '21, only 1 is a LHP. It always seemed to me that Lemonis had tons of lefties...Mercer, not so much

Also, 2 more notes about Hacker....his team was 39-4, and he was also a soccer player.

Last edited:
As far as David Platt is concerned, I saw where he committed to IU back in early Feb, and Perfect Game has him as an IU recruit, but since there is no mention of him with the articles on the 2019 recruits, one has to wonder if he decided to go elsewhere, or maybe he decided to go the JUCO route for the time being. I did a search of his name and came up with nothing about him reversing his decision.

I didn't realize it until now that I never identified AJ Hacker by name in my post. Oops.

I read a home town article about Hacker that had a couple of interesting notes....first, he was named KY PoY on all 3 recognized sites--Gatorade, PBR, Perfect Game. Also, in the article he said he was "offered" by the AZ Diamodbacks in the recent draft. I didn't see that he was drafted, so I assume he means they talked to him about drafting him, and AJ said he wanted to go the college route.

Also, PBR had a little article where they talked about 'draftable' HS kids. in KY, Hacker & Deaton were 2/5 mentioned. Deaton was mentioned as a RHP, which was interesting because I thought he was considered to be a better 1st base prospect.

Also, Stahl was mentioned as one of the 6/7 best OH HS draft prospects.

There were two names new to me...Hacker, and Grant Macciocchi, the transfer from UK.

Macciocchi looks like a grad transfer. He played for Tim Held at Moeller HS in Cincy. I assume Tim Held is a father/brother/cousin to IU asst coach Dan Held. He has an odd history. His UK bio says he was Ohio Player of the Year in 2015. Moeller won the state title that year...he was the winning pitcher and was 3/4 with 4 RBIs at the plate. For the season, 10-0 in 11 starts with a .97 era while hitting .406. UK listed him as 6'4" 190 lbs....

So he goes to Missouri, where he appeared in 6 games starting 2 as a freshman. 1-0 with a 4.35 era.in 10.1 innings..OBA .244. So then he transfers from Missouri to Murray St. College, a JC. He's a 2nd team JUCO AA there, hitting .393 with .491 OB%....98 hits in 242 ABs, with 23 doubles, 7 triples, 4 HRs, 50 RBI, 43 BBs, 23 Ks, 32 SBs....also, 7-0 pitching, 2.3 era, 52 Ks in 58.2 innings, 13 BBs. Rated #127 JUCO prospect.

Then he goes to UK....in 11 Apps, 34.2 IPs, 43 hits, 26 ERs, 30 Ks, 8 BBs. 6.75 era. As a batter, 1 hit in 12 ABs, 2 Ks, 1 BB.

So.....apparently a talented guy but a rough college career......I noticed the iubase story listed him as a middle infield/RHP, so we'll see what happens with him.

With regard to Hacker, the Max Prep #s on him are very good. He's listed as 6'3" 190 lbs In addition to the #s you mentioed, he had 17 career HRs and 23 SBs. For his career, he had 408 Ks in 259.2 IPs, with 120 BBs...also, as a hitter, .593 OB% 30 BBs with 13 Ks. He was a really, really good pitcher for 2 years, and a really, really good hitter for 1 yr in HS.

I also noticed that there are a total of 21 new players listed as '19 recruits.......that's 6-7 more than I've ever known about in 1 year at IU. Elsewhere I mentioned that I knew of 3 players leaving that might surprise folks. I think the turnover will be pretty high.

One final note--one name that I did NOT see listed was David Platt, out of Quakertown , PA, a RHP. I have seen him mentioned as an IU recruit and a good prospect. I don't know his status.

EDIT---Couple of other things.....of 21 names, only 1 is a LHP.....of 7 verbal commits for '21, only 1 is a LHP. It always seemed to me that Lemonis had tons of lefties...Mercer, not so much

Also, 2 more notes about Hacker....his team was 39-4, and he was also a soccer player.
great read thanks

To add to this, found these 2019 final stats / awards for AJ Hacker on his high school twitter site. Very impressive!!!

Pitching:
11W-2L
1 S
82 IP
137 Ks
0.59 ERA
0.75 WHIP

Hitting:
.448 AVG
52 RBI
9 HR
48 Hits
30 BB
.605 OBP
.814 SLG

2019 Awards:
  • Mr. Baseball
  • Gatorade Kentucky Player of the Year
  • Prep Baseball Report Kentucky Player of the Year
  • Collegiate Baseball High School First Team All-American
  • All-State First Team
  • Semi-State Tourney MVP
  • All-Area MVP
  • 16th Region MVP
  • 16th Region Tourney MVP
  • 61st District MVP
  • Rowan’s Season Home Run Record
  • Rowan’s Career Strikeout Record
  • KY’s Strikeout Leader (Two years in a row)

Also below is what Perfect Game said about AJ during their 2019 MLB Draft Reports:

599. AJ Hacker, rhp, Rowan County Senior HSR-R, 6-4/195, Morehead, Ky.
College Commitment: Morehead State

Hacker had a loud spring in terms of performance and development of stuff and he now touches 93 mph with his fastball, a pitch that had previously operated more in the mid- to upper-80s. There’s some projection remaining on his frame and the arm speed grades out as solid average, so there may be some more velocity in there eventually. Signed with Morehead State, Hacker is expected to head to school at this juncture, though the upside for a much higher draft slot in three years is certainly there.

To add to this, found these 2019 final stats / awards for AJ Hacker on his high school twitter site. Very impressive!!!

Pitching:
11W-2L
1 S
82 IP
137 Ks
0.59 ERA
0.75 WHIP

Hitting:
.448 AVG
52 RBI
9 HR
48 Hits
30 BB
.605 OBP
.814 SLG

2019 Awards:
  • Mr. Baseball
  • Gatorade Kentucky Player of the Year
  • Prep Baseball Report Kentucky Player of the Year
  • Collegiate Baseball High School First Team All-American
  • All-State First Team
  • Semi-State Tourney MVP
  • All-Area MVP
  • 16th Region MVP
  • 16th Region Tourney MVP
  • 61st District MVP
  • Rowan’s Season Home Run Record
  • Rowan’s Career Strikeout Record
  • KY’s Strikeout Leader (Two years in a row)

Also below is what Perfect Game said about AJ during their 2019 MLB Draft Reports:

599. AJ Hacker, rhp, Rowan County Senior HSR-R, 6-4/195, Morehead, Ky.
College Commitment: Morehead State

Hacker had a loud spring in terms of performance and development of stuff and he now touches 93 mph with his fastball, a pitch that had previously operated more in the mid- to upper-80s. There’s some projection remaining on his frame and the arm speed grades out as solid average, so there may be some more velocity in there eventually. Signed with Morehead State, Hacker is expected to head to school at this juncture, though the upside for a much higher draft slot in three years is certainly there.
small HS?

It’s great to hear such positive baseball news. I really believe we will have continued success and a good chance that it will surpass our recent history. I hope we direct all the money necessary to maximize our standing. With the popularity of IU baseball I want us to be the premiere team in the BIG.

It’s great to hear such positive baseball news. I really believe we will have continued success and a good chance that it will surpass our recent history. I hope we direct all the money necessary to maximize our standing. With the popularity of IU baseball I want us to be the premiere team in the BIG.
As it almost always is with baseball, it's about pitching, and despite our player losses from this past season because of the draft/graduation, I'm really upbeat about the young pitchers we have coming back along with our recruiting class. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I think the pitching staff could be even better next season.

Reactions: mk23
As it almost always is with baseball, it's about pitching, and despite our player losses from this past season because of the draft/graduation, I'm really upbeat about the young pitchers we have coming back along with our recruiting class. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I think the pitching staff could be even better next season.
Completely agree. Pauly was a no-nonsense competitor, but hardly a rock star Friday night starter. Gabe Bierman could be the next guy up after finishing very strong his freshman year. Tanner was serviceable to above average as a Saturday starter. Would love to see Tommy Sommer step in there. Saalfrank will be the hardest to replace IMO. He saved multiple series' this year. Connor Manous? Litwicki? Sloan? Tucker? Scott? Sure seems like one of those guys could step up and grab a weekend spot. A reliable closer to replace Lloyd will be another issue, but another year in the weight room should do these fellas a bunch of good.

The turnover has me thinking this must be what it feels like for pUKe fans and their basketball team - nearly an entirely new roster every season. That’d drive me nuts.

Not mentioned in this thread, but I read recently here that we would be looking to recruit more speed. Any of the new guys or recruits fit the bill?

The turnover has me thinking this must be what it feels like for pUKe fans and their basketball team - nearly an entirely new roster every season. That’d drive me nuts.

Not mentioned in this thread, but I read recently here that we would be looking to recruit more speed. Any of the new guys or recruits fit the bill?

We've got plenty of smallish ss/2nd/outfield types coming in in the next few years.....almost all had other nice D1 offers. All are in the 5'10"-6'1" size range. Here are their 40 times as reported by PBR:

--2019...Garrett Manous out IN 6.58
--2019...Cooper Trinkle 2nd/SS IN, then JC Not Listed
--2019 Hunter Jesse out OH 6.70
--2019 Tyler Schank out IN Not Listed
--2020 Alex Logush SS MO 7.24
--2020 Tyler Nelson SS IN 6.4
--2021 Josh Pyne SS IN 7.15
--2021 Max Johnson SS OH 6.73
--2021 Carter Mathison out IN 6.80
--2022 Tyler Cerney SS IN 6.99

Of theses guys, Cerney, Nelson, Johnson, & Mathison are probably the highest-regarded. Logusch has a big arm.....could be a Cole Barr type 3B or a pitcher.

The guy who stands out though, above everyone else, is 2019's Ethan Vecrumba.....at 6'4" 200 lbs, he's listed at 6.34.

2019's catcher duo of the JC Combs and the Californian Voth are both said to be athletic for their position.

We've got plenty of smallish ss/2nd/outfield types coming in in the next few years.....almost all had other nice D1 offers. All are in the 5'10"-6'1" size range. Here are their 40 times as reported by PBR:

--2019...Garrett Manous out IN 6.58
--2019...Cooper Trinkle 2nd/SS IN, then JC Not Listed
--2019 Hunter Jesse out OH 6.70
--2019 Tyler Schank out IN Not Listed
--2020 Alex Logush SS MO 7.24
--2020 Tyler Nelson SS IN 6.4
--2021 Josh Pyne SS IN 7.15
--2021 Max Johnson SS OH 6.73
--2021 Carter Mathison out IN 6.80
--2022 Tyler Cerney SS IN 6.99

Of theses guys, Cerney, Nelson, Johnson, & Mathison are probably the highest-regarded. Logusch has a big arm.....could be a Cole Barr type 3B or a pitcher.

The guy who stands out though, above everyone else, is 2019's Ethan Vecrumba.....at 6'4" 200 lbs, he's listed at 6.34.

2019's catcher duo of the JC Combs and the Californian Voth are both said to be athletic for their position.
This approach seems almost in direct conflict to the previous regimes. Heck, when Tracy Smith was here I thought we probably had the best basketball team of any B1G baseball team. With the exception of DeNato, it seemed the pitchers were all giants.

ADVERTISEMENT