ADVERTISEMENT

Kennedy retiring

Some obvious names come to mind that Trump will likely consider: Paul Manafort, Roger Stone or Michael Cohen. I mean who's going to want to indict a Supreme court Justice?

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Pretty disgusted in Kennedy (considering some of his opinions hinted at him strongly thinking we need checks on Trump), but I guess having a Republican pick his successor is more important than anything else.

I'm all on the "restore the Court to 11 Justices" train after 2020, since we likely won't have the votes to reverse Trump's appointments by impeachment/conviction.

Reactions: SNU0821
Pretty disgusted in Kennedy (considering some of his opinions hinted at him strongly thinking we need checks on Trump), but I guess having a Republican pick his successor is more important than anything else.

I'm all on the "restore the Court to 11 Justices" train after 2020, since we likely won't have the votes to reverse Trump's appointments by impeachment/conviction.

lol

Wat?

Some obvious names come to mind that Trump will likely consider: Paul Manafort, Roger Stone or Michael Cohen. I mean who's going to want to indict a Supreme court Justice?
You couldn’t pick a better list of candidates that has that much integrity.

Reactions: Bill4411
Yeah I was terrified of this but if Kennedy is going to vote with those guys, who cares? GOTV 2018. One more reason

Reactions: Ohio Guy
The hits keep coming....OH THE HUMANITY!!!

There is gonna be a huge pitch to either push the nomination out to the next election for President or to try and call him unfit to nominate because of the investigation.....

Hey guys, if you have the proof of conspiracy now is the time to let it out..... but there isn’t it any is there?

At least we now know why Trump is meeting Putin so he knows who to put on the Supreme Court!

Reactions: SNU0821 and Lucy01

A man deserves to retire

giphy.gif

url

I don't believe there is any way to stop a Trump nominee since the filibuster was killed. I count Gorsuch no change to the court because it was a strong conservative in for a strong conservative but this person will be a big change and it's going to last a long time. :(

Yeah I was terrified of this but if Kennedy is going to vote with those guys, who cares? GOTV 2018. One more reason
But he didn't vote with the conservative side all the time. This is going to be a big change.

Who would be good middle of the road nominees? Any of our attorney folk have an opinion? What about someone like Kennedy?

Reactions: Lucy01
There is gonna be a huge pitch to either push the nomination out to the next election for President...

If this had occurred even one day after the November election and if the Dems had 51, Mitch would have created a historical precedent for this (along with comments about karma). But there is too much time now. It will easily happen before the election.

I don't believe there is any way to stop a Trump nominee since the filibuster was killed. I count Gorsuch no change to the court because it was a strong conservative in for a strong conservative but this person will be a big change and it's going to last a long time. :(
I imagine they will find ways to delay it until November election. As well they should. Turtle delayed a hearing from February until November.

If this had occurred even one day after the November election and if the Dems had 51, Mitch would have created a historical precedent for this (along with comments about karma). But there is too much time now. It will easily happen before the election.

Well..... i would say it would be a good opportunity to forge some goodwill and nominate a swing voting judge which I would support because I don’t think too much of either side is a good thing for the country. But I’m not sure that it would be accepted as an olive branch

Reactions: hoosboot
I don't believe there is any way to stop a Trump nominee since the filibuster was killed. I count Gorsuch no change to the court because it was a strong conservative in for a strong conservative but this person will be a big change and it's going to last a long time.
It's a bummer, but not a disaster. Kennedy was a solid conservative vote most of the time.
I imagine they will find ways to delay it until November election. As well they should. Turtle delayed a hearing from February until November.
Doesn't matter even then. They can approve during the lame duck session before a new Dem controlled Senate was seated in January. Only way to prevent it is to flip a couple Repubs or somehow delay the vote until January. I wonder how much backbone Flake really has?

Well..... i would say it would be a good opportunity to forge some goodwill and nominate a swing voting judge which I would support because I don’t think too much of either side is a good thing for the country. But I’m not sure that it would be accepted as an olive branch

OK, I'll take the job for the good of the country....

I don't see the olive branch happening, nor do I think it would be "accepted" much. Outrage sells and neither side is going to let go of that. Well, you know unless I were the nominee.

I don't think they can. I think our best hope is that Trump doesn't nominate someone soon enough to do it before January. But I think he will and I think it will be all over before the election.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucy01
The hits keep coming....OH THE HUMANITY!!!

There is gonna be a huge pitch to either push the nomination out to the next election for President or to try and call him unfit to nominate because of the investigation.....

Hey guys, if you have the proof of conspiracy now is the time to let it out..... but there isn’t it any is there?

At least we now know why Trump is meeting Putin so he knows who to put on the Supreme Court!

You’re vitriol is ridiculous man. You just earned the ignore button- and Lucy isn’t even on ignore for me. Lucy is predictable, but Lucy isn’t solely just a flamethrower. You’ve become a hyper partisan, us vs them poster.

Even if I agreed with you, I’d still ignore you.

Just remember that scorched earth tactics (like refusing to have a hearing/nominate Merrick Garland) May work when your side is in power. But they won’t be in power forever. And it’s really going to suck when it happens to you. Make no mistake- the actions of the Trump administration and its enablers (McConnell, Ryan) will come back to haunt you. It’s a matter of time. The progressive (didn’t say democrat) folks are waking up- and the results aren’t going to be pretty for your “team”.

I wish things could return to a more civil tone. But apparently all you care about is “winning”- no matter what the future costs.

This crap has no place on his board. Literally every post by this guy is “scoreboard!!!” No discussion. No back and forth. Just “eff you libs!”

Congrats on being my very first ignore. You’ve certainly earned it.

Anybody else with me?

PS-

Thanks to those with opposing views to mine that are actually civil, and come here for debate and enlightenment. Sure, you may rile me up- but that’s part of this board.

I don't think they can. I think our best hope is that Trump doesn't nominate someone soon enough to do it before the election. But I think he will and I think it will be all over before the election.
No, our best hope is that Trump nominates a couple bat shit crazy people that can't get approved and somehow, some way the works get gummed up to where a vote doesn't happen until January.

Again, the election isn't the deadline, it's the seating of a new Dem Senate in January that would stop a new appointment from happening.

No, our best hope is that Trump nominates a couple bat shit crazy people that can't get approved and somehow, some way the works get gummed up to where a vote doesn't happen until January.

Again, the election isn't the deadline, it's the seating of a new Dem Senate in January that would stop a new appointment from happening.
True. He could do that.

OK, I'll take the job for the good of the country....

I don't see the olive branch happening, nor do I think it would be "accepted" much. Outrage sells and neither side is going to let go of that. Well, you know unless I were the nominee.

I don’t disagree .... this has been brewing for a while.

You’re vitriol is ridiculous man. You just earned the ignore button- and Lucy isn’t even on ignore for me. Lucy is predictable, but Lucy isn’t solely just a flamethrower. You’ve become a hyper partisan, us vs them poster.

Just remember that scorched earth tactics (like refusing to have a hearing/nominate Merrick Garland) May work when your side is in power. But they won’t be in power forever. And it’s really going to suck when it happens to you. Make no mistake- the actions of the Trump administration and its enablers (McConnell, Ryan) will come back to haunt you. It’s a matter of time. The progressive (didn’t say democrat) folks are waking up- and the results aren’t going to be pretty for your “team”.

I wish things could return to a more civil tone. But apparently all you care about is “winning”- no matter what the future costs.

This crap has no place on his board. Literally every post by this guy is “scoreboard!!!” No discussion. No back and forth. Just “eff you libs!”

Anybody else with me?

PS-

Thanks to those with opposing views to mine that are actually civil, and come here for debate and enlightenment. Sure, you may rile me up- but that’s part of this board.
Mark me down for the enlightenment :)

It's a bummer, but not a disaster. Kennedy was a solid conservative vote most of the time.

Doesn't matter even then. They can approve during the lame duck session before a new Dem controlled Senate was seated in January. Only way to prevent it is to flip a couple Repubs or somehow delay the vote until January. I wonder how much backbone Flake really has?
Delay the vote until January. Not a single Republican except for McCain has dared to stand up to Trump when it counted.

Delay the vote until January. Not a single Republican except for McCain has dared to stand up to Trump when it counted.
How? Also why would the Republicans want to stand up to Trump on a Supreme Court Justice? This is one of the things that Never Trump Republicans haven't complained about. Unless Trump nominates someone that's nuts like Mark said I don't think any Republican will try to stop this and I don't think we can.

How? Also why would the Republicans want to stand up to Trump on a Supreme Court Justice? This is one of the things that Never Trump Republicans haven't complained about. Unless Trump nominates someone that's nuts like Mark said I don't think any Republican will try to stop this and I don't think we can.
I don't expect them to, even if he nominates Jeanine Piro. I'm not sure all the tactics used to delay, but I imagine a lot of people are looking into them right about now.

They (McConnell) are pushing for a confirmation prior to the election. Will likely be a October vote.

If he’s smart, he’ll nominate Thomas Hardiman from Pennsylvania. He supposedly was runner up to Gorsuch, is a moderate along the lines of Kennedy, and works with Trump’s sister. How Trump went about the Gorsuch nomination is the only presidential thing he’s done, IMO. He could go all wing nut on this one though, depending on how emboldened he feels from his travel ban win, and his impulse control issues.

I think this is accurate. But this started before Trump...... I mean holding Republicans responsible. They need to vote the way they ran. I am sure you can point to Dems also but we had several republicans that ran on a conservative platform only to go to Washington and fold tent. So yes, they have taken note.

That’s because turtle is the majority leader. Your worst day in the majority is better than your best day in the minority.

You know, this reminds me of the thread about Why people voted for Trump...... as I said I voted for someone else in the Primary but voted Trump because of the Supreme Court..... embiciles are looking a lot like Obama’s JV team at the moment.....

Who would be good middle of the road nominees? Any of our attorney folk have an opinion? What about someone like Kennedy?
There are several other Dem Senators in red states up in 2018, so the odds of a "reasonable" nominee being held up by all Dems and a couple Pub defectors is close to zero.

There are several other Dem Senators in red states up in 2018, so the odds of a "reasonable" nominee being held up by all Dems and a couple Pub defectors is close to zero.
I think a nomination being stopped is not going to happen. I am suggesting looking for someone both sides can see themselves voting for.... Dems voting yes because they realize it could have been another truly conservative judge like the last one Trump appointed.

This is really hard for me to contemplate. My instinct is drive it to the hilt..... my older age makes me take pause

They (McConnell) are pushing for a confirmation prior to the election. Will likely be a October vote.
Of course they are. They'd be stupid not to. Just as the Dems would be stupid to do anything and everything they can to delay, just as Mitch did. They aren't holding the cards he did though, obviously.

Anybody else with me?

PS-

I think I just buttered my jeans....

Of course they are. They'd be stupid not to. Just as the Dems would be stupid to do anything and everything they can to delay, just as Mitch did. They aren't holding the cards he did though, obviously.

If the dems did absolutely nothing to hold up a SCOTUS nominee, they’d still be doing everything they could to hold up a SCOTUS nominee.

ADVERTISEMENT