ADVERTISEMENT

Kelvin Sampson is a great coach

ciggar_man

Benchwarmer
Dec 23, 2009
Kelvin Sampson got fired for phone calls after that we hire a idiot what next? Sampson would have took us to the promise land no doubt sad!

Reactions: Hoosierific
Mike Rice is available
rutgersrice_medium.gif

He is a great coach, and unfortunately for him he blew an opportunity to be a legendary coach.
No mulligans in this league gentlemen.

He was on probation for violation of that very same rule. Don't act like it was anyone's fault but his own. He is 90% of the reason our program needed such a strong rebuild. Stop with this bs.
Really! Where did he say it wasn’t his fault. It’s funny how it’s a bigger problem over phone calls than paying players or making classes for players.

Really! Where did he say it wasn’t his fault. It’s funny how it’s a bigger problem over phone calls than paying players or making classes for players.
He promised to follow the rules and he didn’t. This made him a liar and a cheat. He blew his chance at IU. Good riddance.

Reactions: Ladoga
Yeah because extra phone calls is so much worse than hookers for recruits and paying players. This is how sorry the ****ing NCAA is.

Sampson wasn't fired for phone calls...... he was fired because the players he built the program around were a fkn disaster off the court. Hell, there were players on the roster selling blow.

Phone calls were an easy way out for an admin that wanted him gone.

Last edited:
Yeah because extra phone calls is so much worse than hookers for recruits and paying players. This is how sorry the ****ing NCAA is.
Who said it was worse? I said that we hired a coach that had violated NCAA rules, but promised he’d never do it again - then he did it again. Whether you like the rule or not is irrelevant. We hired a cheat that promised not to cheat and he did. That makes him a liar and a cheat. It is as simple as that.

90% was on the IU brass, not sampson
Talk about revisionist history! Yes Sampson could coach basketball. But his players couldn’t pass an academic exam or a drug test. How do you choose to ignore that he violated a rule that put him on probation at his previous employment. Why did I even waste my time responding to this.

Talk about revisionist history! Yes Sampson could coach basketball. But his players couldn’t pass an academic exam or a drug test. How do you choose to ignore that he violated a rule that put him on probation at his previous employment. Why did I even waste my time responding to this.
It’s ****ing phone calls idiot. You act like he paid players or got hookers for recruits or even used electronic devices to steal plays during timeouts. I know it was a rule and I’m not saying he shouldn’t have been suspended for games or even the entire year.

Who gives a shit if a coach is arrogant as long as they can coach and recruit. I’m sorry if you think coaches are suppose to be exactly how you want them to be. I also think what one person sees as arrogance another sees as confidence.
Arrogant coach...where have I seen that before? Arrogant coach's produce teams that play with a swagger, daring their opponents to try and beat them. I miss the IU teams that reflected the arrogant personality of their coach, when arrogance was still considered a virtue and fully understood. Yesterday's arrogance is today's bullying, not to be tolerated because it hinders one's self esteem in a society where everyone's self esteem needs to be given equal opportunity.

Reactions: ams66
Arrogant coach...where have I seen that before? Arrogant coach's produce teams that play with a swagger, daring their opponents to try and beat them. I miss the IU teams that reflected the arrogant personality of their coach, when arrogance was still considered a virtue and fully understood. Yesterday's arrogance is today's bullying, not to be tolerated because it hinders one's self esteem in a society where everyone's self esteem needs to be given equal opportunity.
Arrogance was considered virtuous? By whom?

Reactions: Radio Zero
It’s ****ing phone calls idiot. You act like he paid players or got hookers for recruits or even used electronic devices to steal plays during timeouts. I know it was a rule and I’m not saying he shouldn’t have been suspended for games or even the entire year.

He didn't get fired just for phone calls. He actually resigned because he got caught lying, again, to the NCAA, about making phone calls, for which he was previously reprimanded for and currently on probation for. Even if IU didn't force him out mid-year, Sampson was already on borrowed time as the NCAA eventually slapped him with a 5 year show cause. He was going to be gone either way.

He didn't get fired just for phone calls. He actually resigned because he got caught lying, again, to the NCAA, about making phone calls, for which he was previously reprimanded for and currently on probation for. Even if IU didn't force him out mid-year, Sampson was already on borrowed time as the NCAA eventually slapped him with a 5 year show cause. He was going to be gone either way.
next year they change the rules were you could have more contact by phone? lol

next year they change the rules were you could have more contact by phone? lol

No one is arguing the rule was dumb to begin with, but that isn't what did Sampson in. It was the fact that he was a repeat offender while currently on probation for the same thing. And the fact the he lied and jeopardized the NCAA's investigation was icing on the cake. If we've learned anything from Bruce Pearl to Jim Tressel to Kelvin Sampson, you don't lie to the NCAA and not expect to get the hammer. IU was dumb to hire somebody on probation in the first place, and even sillier to improperly monitor him during his tenure. Please stop acting like Sampson was some innocent coach and IU played the holier-than-thou card. They had no choice but to cut bait with Sampson once the NCAA served them a notice of 5 major violations.

Arrogance worked for Bob. Bob wasn’t any less arrogant his first 20 years than he was his last 10. Arrogance wasn’t called bullying, yet.
Arrogance and being a bully are two completely separate things. Someone can be one but not the other or someone could be both.

This may not be accurate, but it seems that, back when Kitchel was flipping out over the Sampson hire, it came out that only 1 of Sampsons players at Oklahoma had ever graduated.

I may be misremembering, but it seems like that what one the reasons that Kitch was so disappointed in the hire

Sampson wasn't fired for phone calls...... he was fired because the players he built the program around were a fkn disaster off the court. Hell, there were players on the roster selling blow.

Phone calls were an easy way out for an admin that wanted him gone.
Did they send part of their earnings to Indiana? That's probably why they were kicked off because they kept all the money. On a serious note, do you think that the kinds of players that these guys were was indicative of the former coach's lack of integrity? Knight had players who did weed. But he had other players who stood up for what is right. Butch Carter talked about this on Dan Dakich's show.

He was on probation for violation of that very same rule. Don't act like it was anyone's fault but his own. He is 90% of the reason our program needed such a strong rebuild. Stop with this bs.
It’s been over a decade. Sampson is not the reason for our problems. Come back to reality for a bit. At least for a short visit.

The difference between Knight’s arrogance and that of many others who have also experienced success is that BK didn’t walk his talk, while most other leaders do. It was that hypocrisy that greatly contributed to his downfall.

The difference between Knight’s arrogance and that of many others who have also experienced success is that BK didn’t walk his talk, while most other leaders do. It was that hypocrisy that greatly contributed to his downfall.
Your takes are super and original! I haven’t run across such startling insights since the last time I didn’t bother to read “ESPN: The Magazine!” Do you have a blog? If not, your ideas intrigue me and I am going to subscribe to your “zine!”

Your takes are super and original! I haven’t run across such startling insights since the last time I didn’t bother to read “ESPN: The Magazine!” Do you have a blog? If not, your ideas intrigue me and I am going to subscribe to your “zine!”
I would imagine that any take that goes beyond coloring within the lines is super and original for you, so I’m happy to feed your intellect. Dry your moist eyes and keep moving.

Arrogance and being a bully are two completely separate things. Someone can be one but not the other or someone could be both.
I think a bully is automatically arrogant in action when this arrogance is directed towards someone else in a demeaning way, whereas an arrogant person isn't necessarily a bully, if he keeps his arrogance to himself, limited to braggadocio.

I would imagine that any take that goes beyond coloring within the lines is super and original for you, so I’m happy to feed your intellect. Dry your moist eyes and keep moving.
You feed my intellect, yes, and you do allow all of us to suckle at your teats.

You touched on more that is true.

Those moist eyes are are false appearance: they reflect the tears of pride in yours, our mother, as you lead us forward, taking us by the hand into the shine of the sun, the rays of the word. We are but your children.

Reactions: rikki-tikka-tava
So you're saying Knight was essentially fired for being a hypocrite, for not "walking the talk." Fair enough, so what lessons in life did Knight preach that he didn't expect of himself?

You feed my intellect, yes, and you do allow all of us to suckle at your teats.

You touched on more that is true.

Those moist eyes are are false appearance: they reflect the tears of pride in yours, our mother, as you lead us forward, taking us by the hand into the shine of the sun, the rays of the word. We are but your children.
Ah, the disdain of the runner who blames the pack for a pace too quick.

My point is not that he violated rules but that seems like a minor infraction than paying recruits or getting them hookers. I guess if we killed everyone that lied tv his world would be a wasteland.

It may have worked for him, since people around him craved winning. But arrogance was never considered virtuous, and his certainly wasn’t.
The offensiveness of arrogance is based upon one's concept of it. Those believing an arrogant leader is a confident leader, obviously are more inclined to think of it as a virtue, verses someone who thinks arrogance is to be equated with a degree of mental bullying. Personally, I believe that Knight's arrogance was considered a virtue. His confidence in the principles he believed in, led him to be able to motivate players to believing in those same principles. Without this arrogance, IU may have only two banners, with none since 1951 and that's a long, long time.

My point is not that he violated rules but that seems like a minor infraction than paying recruits or getting them hookers. I guess if we killed everyone that lied tv his world would be a wasteland.

His violations weren't minor. Making impermissible phone calls while currently on probation for making impermissible phone calls is/was a major violation, as was lying to the NCAA hindering their investigation.

What part are you missing?

Last edited:
Reactions: 82hoosier
Oh really! So if someone gives you a second chance it’s their fault for doing it. GEt the hell out of here you waste of space.

Bahaha. Yes if you hire someone with a checkered past and that person doesn't change and becomes a repeat offender, you get everything that comes your way.

What a stupid argument you're trying to make.

The offensiveness of arrogance is based upon one's concept of it. Those believing an arrogant leader is a confident leader, obviously are more inclined to think of it as a virtue, verses someone who thinks arrogance is to be equated with a degree of mental bullying. Personally, I believe that Knight's arrogance was considered a virtue. His confidence in the principles he believed in, led him to be able to motivate players to believing in those same principles. Without this arrogance, IU may have only two banners, with none since 1951 and that's a long, long time.
From my perspective, arrogance has never been a needed attribute of effective leadership but to each his own. Unfortunately for Knight, he chose to pair arrogance with a disbelief in personal accountability, and that ultimately cost him his position at IU.

ADVERTISEMENT