Rushed 12 for 91 and a TD.
Won 24-23
Ball state finished 5-7/5-3.

First Big Ten start was Wisconsin
13-29 for 113 0 TD's 0 INT
Rushing 11 for 31 net.
Lost 52-17
Wisconsin finished 12-1.
Our 17 was the third highest total they gave up (Michigan got 27 and gave them their loss. Illinois got 24.)

Nick Polk was leading receiver in both games.

First road game was the big comeback at Illinois, where Thigpen opened the second half with a 98 card TD kickoff return.
Hardy was leading receiver, but no TD's
Lewis - no TD throws - 1 rushing.
Josiah Sears had 2 rushing TD's.
Illinois finished 2-10/1-7.

I expect freshman to be ready to play.

Especially now, with some of them getting paid more than some of the coaches.
You think IU has FB players getting paid more than any coaches? To your main point...KL was a tremendous athlete and ahead of any of IU's current QB's game one.

Reactions: vesuvius13
You think IU has FB players getting paid more than any coaches? To your main point...KL was a tremendous athlete and ahead of any of IU's current QB's game one.
I think we will either have players making more than some assistants make now soon, or we will be bottom of the league. Abyss for decades. Some of the Loyal 19,000 may even abandon us.

I guarantee Michigan and Ohio State and Penn State will have players making more than some of our assistants - likely even next season - so we either pay or fold. Competing for the best recruits - and coaches - just got astronomically expensive. We can go to the moon cheaper. Makes the "sports arms race" of the 1950's (which IU bowed out of quick) look like a lemonade stand.

And if the NCAA - or what's left of it - tries to limit player earnings, SCOTUS (who has stated a belief that athletes are "unpaid") will strike it down.

Even with a purported $70,000,000+ per school per year BTN contract coming, we still can't compete with the football factory alumni dollar machines. They have billions. We have an I-69 Avoidance Club.

Beat Illinois.

I think we will either have players making more than some assistants make now soon, or we will be bottom of the league. Abyss for decades. Some of the Loyal 19,000 may even abandon us.

I guarantee Michigan and Ohio State and Penn State will have players making more than some of our assistants - likely even next season - so we either pay or fold. Competing for the best recruits - and coaches - just got astronomically expensive. We can go to the moon cheaper. Makes the "sports arms race" of the 1950's (which IU bowed out of quick) look like a lemonade stand.

And if the NCAA - or what's left of it - tries to limit player earnings, SCOTUS (who has stated a belief that athletes are "unpaid") will strike it down.

Even with a purported $70,000,000+ per school per year BTN contract coming, we still can't compete with the football factory alumni dollar machines. They have billions. We have an I-69 Avoidance Club.

Beat Illinois.
I do not really disagree with your opinions, I understand your frustrations over NIL.
I also suspect that you are correct; some players at bigger schools will make more than some of the assistant of assistants (OL coach for example) at smaller schools.
I listened to a coach interviewed on one of the sports radio shows. His thought was that the players deserve NIL, the schools and the ncaa have been unfair and unreasonable in the past. However, something needs to happen to keep it from spinning out of control.
That made be wonder what the definition of “spinning out of control” is, and what the solution is.

Those 2 exciting wins at Ball State and Illinois, I wasn’t at. Of course, choose his first home start to attend vs the Badgers, an absolute blow out start to finish.

I know his game at the time wasn’t suited for the next level at QB, but the kid’s athletic talent was immense. A shame he blew it. If he had another season or 2 like his first 2, we’d be talking about him in the same discussions we do ARE.

Beat Illinois.
What are the loyal "19,000"?

I do not really disagree with your opinions, I understand your frustrations over NIL.
I also suspect that you are correct; some players at bigger schools will make more than some of the assistant of assistants (OL coach for example) at smaller schools.
I listened to a coach interviewed on one of the sports radio shows. His thought was that the players deserve NIL, the schools and the ncaa have been unfair and unreasonable in the past. However, something needs to happen to keep it from spinning out of control.
That made be wonder what the definition of “spinning out of control” is, and what the solution is.
It is too bad that a limit was not set on how much each player can make on NIL. That way the richest programs may not have a monopoly on the top prospects.

What are the loyal "19,000"?
The folks who attended the Minnesota game 10/30/2004, during DiNardo’s last season. We were 2-5/0-4. Homecoming. Announced attendance 22282. That was a lie. There were 19,000 inside tops. Hard core only.

Sunny. 72. Winds 26, gusts to 40.

DiNardo’s last victory.
30-21
We rushed 51 for 238.
BJGE
Yamar Washington
Chris Taylor

His thought was that the players deserve NIL, the schools and the ncaa have been unfair and unreasonable in the past. However, something needs to happen to keep it from spinning out of control.

I wonder what happens the first time there's a "scheduling conflict" between a practice or a team meeting or the like and an NIL related commitment.

MLB has a salary cap but it doesn't stop the Yankees from outspending the rest of the league combined.
First of all, baseball has never had a salary cap. Next of all, the Yankees haven't had the highest payroll in baseball for the past five years since the Dodgers new ownership took over.

Well I'll be switched! I haven't been a baseball fan for years but I distinctly recall a salary cap being invoked and the Yankees evading it with deferred payments. But, based on your note I looked it up and lo and behold it never took flight because the players association wouldn't back it ... they felt it would put more money in the owners hands and less in theirs.

I stand corrected, thank you.

The folks who attended the Minnesota game 10/30/2004, during DiNardo’s last season. We were 2-5/0-4. Homecoming. Announced attendance 22282. That was a lie. There were 19,000 inside tops. Hard core only.

DiNardo’s last victory.
30-21
We rushed 51 for 238.
BJGE
Yamar Washington
Chris Taylor
An "I was there" moment... That wind killed their passing attack and we loaded the box against the run... Should that W come with a "Wind Assisted" disclaimer? Naw, it was fun to watch...

An "I was there" moment... That wind killed their passing attack and we loaded the box against the run... Should that W come with a "Wind Assisted" disclaimer? Naw, it was fun to watch...
I was there too. If I remember correctly we shut down Laurence Maroney.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1

DiNardo’s last victory.
30-21
We rushed 51 for 238.
BJGE
Yamar Washington
Chris Taylor
Gotcha. Fortunately that bears no resemblance to today.

about 20K different.
I really hope you are right. 39,000 for a home opener after 2-10 would be very encouraging.

Hep “got” the students. Those kids in school from 2005-2007 are young 30’s now. Hopefully their love for IU football has survived and grown and passed down to their kids.

I’ll count the crowd and report (good Lord willing and the creek don’t rise).

I really hope you are right. 39,000 for a home opener after 2-10 would be very encouraging.

Hep “got” the students. Those kids in school from 2005-2007 are young 30’s now. Hopefully their love for IU football has survived and grown and passed down to their kids.

I’ll count the crowd and report (good Lord willing and the creek don’t rise).
I will be there and able to verify your estimate.

I hope fans come out to watch a B1G game with IU having new coaches and some new players in key positions. I would expect a crowd of 35k or less against Idaho to open the season but I hope with Illinois coming in the crowd is in the up 40K+ range.

Last edited:
Reactions: midwolfe and 76-1
First game - on the road at Ball State
Went 15-28 for 228, 1 TD, O picks.
Rushed 12 for 91 and a TD.
Won 24-23
Ball state finished 5-7/5-3.

First Big Ten start was Wisconsin
13-29 for 113 0 TD's 0 INT
Rushing 11 for 31 net.
Lost 52-17
Wisconsin finished 12-1.
Our 17 was the third highest total they gave up (Michigan got 27 and gave them their loss. Illinois got 24.)

Nick Polk was leading receiver in both games.

First road game was the big comeback at Illinois, where Thigpen opened the second half with a 98 card TD kickoff return.
Hardy was leading receiver, but no TD's
Lewis - no TD throws - 1 rushing.
Josiah Sears had 2 rushing TD's.
Illinois finished 2-10/1-7.
Scholarships based on academic achievement. (Athletics...who cares. I want tax payers.)

Let the professional leagues pay for development.

We had 48k for freaking Idaho last year. It will be alright, I swear.
My point was about opening with a B1G team for the first game at home. Last season was about the 2020 season for adding hype for IUFB.

Lee Corso got about 35 k attendance for home big ten openers. … After some pretty poor seasons.

Illinois got some buzz from some unexpected wins last year.

Friday PM (and 5$ gas) might reduce the away team attendance.

I think we’ll see 35-40 k for Illinois … who hasn’t been seen in Bloomington for a while.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT