ADVERTISEMENT

Keion Brooks asking to change Rupp

But still #3 at the time behind Koufax & Marichal.

Gibson was to Koufax & Marichal as Frank Robinson was to Mays & Aaron. Two really great, fiery players who weren't quite as great as a couple of other guys who happened to be hanging around.

Well . . .

Gibson
WAR 89.2
ERA 2.91
WHIP 1.188
W/L 251-174
Complete games 255
Shutouts 56

Koufax
WAR 48.9
ERA 2.76
WHIP 1.106
W/L 165-87
CG 137
SO 40

Marichal
WAR 62.9
ERA 2.89
WHIP 1.101
W/L 243-142
CG 244
SO 52

Hard to put Gibson as anything but an equal to Koufax and Marichal. Gibson had an ERA of 1.12 one year. That Gibson is the ultimate.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
I would venture to say that if the names are changed on everything that has been discussed, there will still be people that will find fault with the new names. Guess that comes from the old saying that "you can't please everybody". The seems to be a pretty accurate statement in these times!

I don't care what UK does with Rupp, but there are times things get dumbed down when the SJWs get their way.

Two of the best examples are from IU....the swastikas at (formerly) Wildermuth, and the THB murals at Woodburn. Covering up history rather than examining/explaining it is generally a bad idea.

Well . . .

Gibson
WAR 89.2
ERA 2.91
WHIP 1.188
W/L 251-174
Complete games 255
Shutouts 56

Koufax
WAR 48.9
ERA 2.76
WHIP 1.106
W/L 165-87
CG 137
SO 40

Marichal
WAR 62.9
ERA 2.89
WHIP 1.101
W/L 243-142
CG 244
SO 52

Hard to put Gibson as anything but an equal to Koufax and Marichal. Gibson had an ERA of 1.12 one year. That Gibson is the ultimate.

In that MVP/CYA year (1968), he pitched 28 complete games and 13 shutouts.

Well . . .

Gibson
WAR 89.2
ERA 2.91
WHIP 1.188
W/L 251-174
Complete games 255
Shutouts 56

Koufax
WAR 48.9
ERA 2.76
WHIP 1.106
W/L 165-87
CG 137
SO 40

Marichal
WAR 62.9
ERA 2.89
WHIP 1.101
W/L 243-142
CG 244
SO 52

Adoph and UK was racist.
Brooks should have looked this up before going there and playing sparingly in Adolf Rupp Arena.

Well . . .

Gibson
WAR 89.2
ERA 2.91
WHIP 1.188
W/L 251-174
Complete games 255
Shutouts 56

Koufax
WAR 48.9
ERA 2.76
WHIP 1.106
W/L 165-87
CG 137
SO 40

Marichal
WAR 62.9
ERA 2.89
WHIP 1.101
W/L 243-142
CG 244
SO 52

I took a good close look at the Marichal-Gibson comparison, and you might be right there, although the stats are very, very close. What's interesting is how much their careers coincided. Gibson's major inning years were 1961-1975, Marichal 1962-1975. Their 'average' years were as follows:

BG: 17-12; .591; 2.91; 17 CGs; 4 SH; 262 IP; 210 Ks, 90 BBs; ERA+ 2.89; WHIP 1.188

JM: 18-10; .631; 2.89; 18; 4; 257; 169; 52; 3.04; 1.101

So Marichal tended to win more games and lose fewer (top win seasons of 26; 25; 25; 22; 21; 21 v. 23; 22; 21; 20; 20), but had a somewhat higher field-adjusted ERA and a much lower WAR stat. I would say the WAR stat seems unexpectedly high given the other #s. Gibson had 1968 and Marichal didn't. In terms of recognition/awards they were very even. Marichal got a 83.7% HoF vote, Gibson 84%, but Marichal did hit a guy over the head with a bat, which probably cost him a few votes.

As for Koufax v. Gibson, you have to ask: peak value or career value. Koufax led the NL in ERA 5 consecutive years, BG 1x. SK had years of 27-9, 26-8, and 25-5, while BG's best years were 22-9 and 23-7. SL won three MLB CYs (only 1 given then), while BG won 1 NL CY.

Although SK never got down to a 1.12 ERA, he had three years under 2.00. In '65, when his ERA was 2.04, he had 385 Ks and 71 BBs, and averaged 10.2 Ks/9 innings. Gibson's #s were 268/62/7.9.

I remember seeing Koufax on TV as a kid, in the WSs. I would have been 10 in '66. The things I most remember were the high leg kick and the big looping curve ball. I didn't know much then but I was a big baseball fan, and I realized he was special.

Reactions: Falky22
Along with Jerry Sichting, one of Bobby’s in state recruiting gaffes.
[

Regarding Macy........yes, huge miss there. Just gave him to Purdue. Of course, he was too good to stay there......or maybe they didn't have a spare race horse.....

While this one was dumb, it - as the administrator said - was not racially motivated.

Rupp’s/UK’s was.

BIG difference.
Sure it wasn’t . . . I wonder what the two black players on UK’s team thought about the fight in MC? By the way, UK had integrated the previous season.

Last edited:
I took a good close look at the Marichal-Gibson comparison, and you might be right there, although the stats are very, very close. What's interesting is how much their careers coincided. Gibson's major inning years were 1961-1975, Marichal 1962-1975. Their 'average' years were as follows:

BG: 17-12; .591; 2.91; 17 CGs; 4 SH; 262 IP; 210 Ks, 90 BBs; ERA+ 2.89; WHIP 1.188

JM: 18-10; .631; 2.89; 18; 4; 257; 169; 52; 3.04; 1.101

So Marichal tended to win more games and lose fewer (top win seasons of 26; 25; 25; 22; 21; 21 v. 23; 22; 21; 20; 20), but had a somewhat higher field-adjusted ERA and a much lower WAR stat. I would say the WAR stat seems unexpectedly high given the other #s. Gibson had 1968 and Marichal didn't. In terms of recognition/awards they were very even. Marichal got a 83.7% HoF vote, Gibson 84%, but Marichal did hit a guy over the head with a bat, which probably cost him a few votes.

As for Koufax v. Gibson, you have to ask: peak value or career value. Koufax led the NL in ERA 5 consecutive years, BG 1x. SK had years of 27-9, 26-8, and 25-5, while BG's best years were 22-9 and 23-7. SL won three MLB CYs (only 1 given then), while BG won 1 NL CY.

Although SK never got down to a 1.12 ERA, he had three years under 2.00. In '65, when his ERA was 2.04, he had 385 Ks and 71 BBs, and averaged 10.2 Ks/9 innings. Gibson's #s were 268/62/7.9.

I remember seeing Koufax on TV as a kid, in the WSs. I would have been 10 in '66. The things I most remember were the high leg kick and the big looping curve ball. I didn't know much then but I was a big baseball fan, and I realized he was special.

I think we agree these were three premier pitchers in that era. I think it's more comparable to Mays/Aaron/Mantle than Mays/Aaron/Robinson.

Was in a discussion on the WC about most dominating athlete and I brought up Gibson's 1968 season. I made the comment, without checking, that I doubted either league had as many complete games and shutouts in the prior season (2018 or 2019, depending on when we had the discussion) as Gibson had by himself in 1968. Someone checked it out and as I recall the AL didn't.

Anyway, this whole thing goes back to someone not knowing Bob Gibson. Unless someone is really young or not a sports fan I just don't get that. But then, one of the owners of the company from which I just retired is approximately 50 and is a huge OSU football/basketball fan. We were talking about the best basketball players from each school and he stated he had never heard of George McGinnis when I put McGinnis in my list of top five IU players. He didn't even remember him as an NBA player.

Sure it wasn’t . . . I wonder what the two black players on UK’s team thought about the fight in MC? By the way, UK had integrated the previous season.
I‘m sure the “you don’t belong in the SEC” comments were nothing . . . and integrated? Lol . . . One black guy = integrated. You’re too much . . .

I‘m sure the “you don’t belong in the SEC” comments were nothing . . . and integrated? Lol . . . One black guy = integrated. You’re too much . . .
The point was that UK had already broken the color barrier, as had other SEC schools,, so Rupp already knew the all white era was over. Not surprised you weren’t aware of this.

The point was that UK had already broken the color barrier, as had other SEC schools,, so Rupp already knew the all white era was over. Not surprised you weren’t aware of this.
No - the point was Rupp made racist remarks towards an opposing player of color, then allowed said player to be hung in effigy at the game in Lexington. RIF . . .

No - the point was Rupp made racist remarks towards an opposing player of color, then allowed said player to be hung in effigy at the game in Lexington. RIF . . .
No, the point was the color barrier had been broken all over the SEC in the years prior, so who knows what Rupp was referring to. Even Rupp had signed a black player two years earlier, and had two black players on his team at the time of this game. What did they think of the effigy? And what about the one I saw in the IU student section before a big game against our rival? I’m sure you know all about that one, right? I’m not anointing him for sainthood, but he was a product of his times, as were many other coaches. We’ve already seen proof that IU had a racial quota, so these attitudes were prevalent in many places, including NE Indiana just a few years ago. Ask a couple of Michigan players during the Frieder era what they thought of some of the comments directed their way across from their bench during a visit to AH. You’d be surprised, no doubt.

No, the point was the color barrier had been broken all over the SEC in the years prior, so who knows what Rupp was referring to. Even Rupp had signed a black player two years earlier, and had two black players on his team at the time of this game. What did they think of the effigy? And what about the one I saw in the IU student section before a big game against our rival? I’m sure you know all about that one, right? I’m not anointing him for sainthood, but he was a product of his times, as were many other coaches. We’ve already seen proof that IU had a racial quota, so these attitudes were prevalent in many places, including NE Indiana just a few years ago. Ask a couple of Michigan players during the Frieder era what they thought of some of the comments directed their way across from their bench during a visit to AH. You’d be surprised, no doubt.
Again, you have no clue.

The whole thread is about renaming Rupp Arena - because of Rupp and his racist behavior. You can spout off differently 100 times and you'll be as wrong then as you are now.

Carry on, Ord - because we all know you want to have the last word . . . 🙄

I think we agree these were three premier pitchers in that era. I think it's more comparable to Mays/Aaron/Mantle than Mays/Aaron/Robinson.

Was in a discussion on the WC about most dominating athlete and I brought up Gibson's 1968 season. I made the comment, without checking, that I doubted either league had as many complete games and shutouts in the prior season (2018 or 2019, depending on when we had the discussion) as Gibson had by himself in 1968. Someone checked it out and as I recall the AL didn't.

Anyway, this whole thing goes back to someone not knowing Bob Gibson. Unless someone is really young or not a sports fan I just don't get that. But then, one of the owners of the company from which I just retired is approximately 50 and is a huge OSU football/basketball fan. We were talking about the best basketball players from each school and he stated he had never heard of George McGinnis when I put McGinnis in my list of top five IU players. He didn't even remember him as an NBA player.

I don't find that very surprising. I'm 55 and Big George's best years were behind him from my NBA recollections of him. Obviously I know the name and history dating to Washington HS, but a Buckeye fan who's 5 years younger, wouldn't know that, nor remember him in the NBA at all likely, unless he's a huge NBA fan. And to that point, if he's a "typical" Bucs fan, he doesn't give 2 hoots about bball. I'd guess you or any long time IU fan could name as good a top 5 bball Buckeyes of all time, in my experience.

When did this facking idiot come back? No surprise you're here defending racists now you twat. Now go die in a fire while getting mauled by a bear you dipchit.

Reactions: Rock1820
But still #3 at the time behind Koufax & Marichal.

Gibson was to Koufax & Marichal as Frank Robinson was to Mays & Aaron. Two really great, fiery players who weren't quite as great as a couple of other guys who happened to be hanging around.

Koufax > Gibson > Marichal.

as a kid i did get a foul ball hit into the stands by McCarver, pitched by Marichal, back in old old Bush Stadium/Sportsman's Park.

Not a baseball fan, I take it . . .

IU was the defending NCAA champ Gibson's HS senior yr when he would have been being recruited.

i've seen that Gibson quote before.

that said, i highly doubt IU would actually say that to him, and guessing more that Gibson chose to take it that way.

that said, IU did have multiple black players on the team during Gibson's college playing days.

and being that Gibson ended up at Creighton and not another bigger school besides IU, perhaps there is more to this than just IU's "quota" being filled.

Again, you have no clue.

The whole thread is about renaming Rupp Arena - because of Rupp and his racist behavior. You can spout off differently 100 times and you'll be as wrong then as you are now.

Carry on, Ord - because we all know you want to have the last word . . . 🙄
Lol. You’re still lost. At least you’re smart enough to not try and refute the facts I posted. That never turns out well for you.

Can somebody name this person for me? 😳

Gibson%20Bob%205655-70a_Act_NBL-cropped.jpg

That's the guy who caused the pitching mound to be lowered 5 inches.

Reactions: Birnk403
Yes, UK has a history of pulling some very good recruits out of Indiana, while IU has not been able to convince many / any of Kentucky’s best high schoolers to come to IU. If you notice a breeze, it’s the spinning propeller you just walked into.
We had one but.....he got in a bit of trouble in scott county.

Last edited:
Well . . .

Gibson
WAR 89.2
ERA 2.91
WHIP 1.188
W/L 251-174
Complete games 255
Shutouts 56

Koufax
WAR 48.9
ERA 2.76
WHIP 1.106
W/L 165-87
CG 137
SO 40

Marichal
WAR 62.9
ERA 2.89
WHIP 1.101
W/L 243-142
CG 244
SO 52

First game I ever saw was at Candlestick Park. Gibson and Marichal in 1965. I remember my dad thumging through the San Francisco Chronicle Sporting greens. He wanted to pick a game where there was a good pitching matchup. He did not disappoint.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT