ADVERTISEMENT

Keion Brooks asking to change Rupp

YOTHN

All-American
Jun 20, 2014
I would love to hear what UK fans have to say about this. Keion Brooks is asking UK to change the name of Rupp Arena because of his racist past. You know, what IU fans have been saying and UK fans have been over here denying the last few years? So ironic....

I would love to hear what UK fans have to say about this. Keion Brooks is asking UK to change the name of Rupp Arena because of his racist past. You know, what IU fans have been saying and UK fans have been over here denying the last few years? So ironic....
Alabama going to rename Bryant Denny Stadium, too? What about Branch McCracken Court (ask Bob Gibson whether he thinks the Twig was racist)? Lots of renaming in our future.

Alabama going to rename Bryant Denny Stadium, too? What about Branch McCracken Court (ask Bob Gibson whether he thinks the Twig was racist)? Lots of renaming in our future.
Please tell us about Branch. What are your facts based on . And who The hell is a Bob Gibson...

UK does not own Rupp Arena. Why would they have the power to change its name.

Reactions: Deli owl
I don't know what was in Branch McCracken's mind. Judging by his actions, however, in 1947 he recruited Bill Garrett, the first African-American basketball player in the B1G.
Bill Garrett
I also want to add that Bill Garrett was not a token recruit. He started from game 1. Branch did not bury him on the end of the bench.

Did somebody really ask earlier in this thread, "Who is Bob Gibson"? He's an MLB Hall of Fame pitcher and he also played for the Globetrotters.

Reactions: Crayfish57
I don't know what was in Branch McCracken's mind. Judging by his actions, however, in 1947 he recruited Bill Garrett, the first African-American basketball player in the B1G.
Bill Garrett
I also want to add that Bill Garrett was not a token recruit. He started from game 1. Branch did not bury him on the end of the bench.

Did somebody really ask earlier in this thread, "Who is Bob Gibson"? He's an MLB Hall of Fame pitcher and he also played for the Globetrotters.
Agree, I don’t know what was in his head, either, but I do know what Gibson’s recollection was. But ”who the hell is Bob Gibson?” is the real offense here.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
Following is the quote by Keion:

"Being honest, I haven't educated myself well enough on Adolph Rupp or just the whole situation at hand to really give you my thoughts on it," said Brooks, who is also a member of the SEC Council on Racial Equality and Social Justice. "From what I do know, I would like to see a name change just basically because of what his name is and what that's connected to and what that kind of represents. I would like to see a name change."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...n-brooks-jr-supports-changing-name-rupp-arena

Personally, I don't have strong feelings about changing the name, although I admit many UK fans do. To me, it's all about the feelings of black Kentuckians and UK students, including black UK athletes. If they feel insulted by that name, then I'm in favor of changing it. Again, many UK fans don't agree with me.

The truth is, though, that many other schools use UK and Rupp in order to deflect attention away from their own racist past. There were other schools besides UK that had all white basketball squads in 1966 when Texas western won the championship.

UK's first black basketball player was in 1969. I don't know when IU's was, and don't feel like looking it up, but I'm guessing it was a few years earlier. With a few exceptions, the athletic programs of every public state college and university was racist into the sixties. Maybe IU's was different, but I doubt it. If it makes you feel superior to say UK was racist for a few years longer than IU was, go for it. As evident by Keion Brooks and all the other black athletes that attend UK, it obviously isn't true today.

Personally, I don't have strong feelings about changing the name, although I admit many UK fans do. To me, it's all about the feelings of black Kentuckians and UK students, including black UK athletes. If they feel insulted by that name, then I'm in favor of changing it. Again, many UK fans don't agree with me.

The truth is, though, that many other schools use UK and Rupp in order to deflect attention away from their own racist past. There were other schools besides UK that had all white basketball squads in 1966 when Texas western won the championship.

UK's first black basketball player was in 1969. I don't know when IU's was, and don't feel like looking it up, but I'm guessing it was a few years earlier. With a few exceptions, the athletic programs of every public state college and university was racist into the sixties. Maybe IU's was different, but I doubt it. If it makes you feel superior to say UK was racist for a few years longer than IU was, go for it. As evident by Keion Brooks and all the other black athletes that attend UK, it obviously isn't true today.

You should have looked it up, it would have saved you some wasted typing: Bill Garrett, 1947.

Reactions: hondo314

A couple of things... the first black man played at Indiana in 1947, so that's quite a bit more than a "few years." Secondly, the issues is not that Rupp had an all-white team until 1969, it's that he was a true out-spoken racist.

Rather they rename Rupp Arena or not I couldn't care less. In reality Brooks should have known all of that before he went to UK. If it didn't bother him a year and a half ago, why now?

Last edited:
Can somebody name this person for me? 😳

Gibson%20Bob%205655-70a_Act_NBL-cropped.jpg

A couple of things... the first black man played at Indiana in 1947, so that's quite a bit more than a "few years." Secondly, the issues is not that Rupp had an all-white team until 1969, it's that he was a true out-spoken racist.

I can prove otherwise, but I doubt if Hoosier fans want me to post a treatise on Adolph Rupp on your site.

Or if you choose, I can post a (necessarily) long video.

When Kentucky played Texas Western in that infamous 1966 title game, neither the SEC nor ACC had ever had an African-American player.

Last edited:

Rather they rename Rupp Arena or not I couldn't care less. In reality Brooks should have known all of that before he went to UK. If it didn't bother him a year and a half ago, why now?
It can be likened to getting married. You marry someone you agree with on the major issues and can live with the things you don't agree on. You should NEVER get married thinking you will change the person. You accept them for who they are and they accept you as well. I understand black young men hearing about blatant racism and hating it. I hate it too. It is silly to think some of the ways Rupp and others did. But why cancel a dead man? Did Rupp have any good qualities at all? If he did then can we just honor the good points and at the same time condemn the bad points of a person?

UK does not own Rupp Arena. Why would they have the power to change its name.

Without KY games, the dump named Rupp would be torn down. KY has all the leverage in the world if the issue mattered to them.

Bill Garrett

FDC I spoke before seeing the article on Bob Gibson saying Indiana had its quota. And yes I know Bob Gibson was a pitcher for the Cardinals. With the cute Twig reference wasn’t sure what Gibson had in common with IU basketball.

FDC I spoke before seeing the article on Bob Gibson saying Indiana had its quota. And yes I know Bob Gibson was a pitcher for the Cardinals. With the cute Twig reference wasn’t sure what Gibson had in common with IU basketball.
The “Twig” was a nickname for McCracken while he was at IU.

Board members have a responsibility to educate those less woke. What does FDC signify?
  • Friday Drinks Club
  • Federal Detention Center
  • Fixed Drug Combination
  • Fault Decision Criteria

I love a good thread about UK players from Indiana. I sure am excited about Keion's sophomore season. He seems like an intelligent young man with a good head on his shoulders. From what I saw his freshman year, the only thing lacking in his game is aggressiveness. If he becomes more assertive next year and assumes the role of leader to our talented freshman class, we could go deep into the tournament.

Which makes me think of other UK players from Indiana. I attended UK the same time as Kyle Macy and saw that great '78 championship team play many times. What a great player he was. Funny story - I was in the campus bookstore and saw him walk in; then, when I was checking out, he got in line behind me. I turned around to speak to him, and automatically looked down, because I thought of him as being little, but, when I turned I was looking at him eye-to-eye, and I'm 6'-2". I thought of him as being small because I had only seen him on the court next to Robey, Phillips, Givens, and those guys.

Funny story, huh? Your turn. Isn't this great, all of us sitting around sharing stories about UK players from Indiana. Did we just become best friends? (from Stepbrothers)

I love a good thread about UK players from Indiana. I sure am excited about Keion's sophomore season. He seems like an intelligent young man with a good head on his shoulders. From what I saw his freshman year, the only thing lacking in his game is aggressiveness. If he becomes more assertive next year and assumes the role of leader to our talented freshman class, we could go deep into the tournament.

Which makes me think of other UK players from Indiana. I attended UK the same time as Kyle Macy and saw that great '78 championship team play many times. What a great player he was. Funny story - I was in the campus bookstore and saw him walk in; then, when I was checking out, he got in line behind me. I turned around to speak to him, and automatically looked down, because I thought of him as being little, but, when I turned I was looking at him eye-to-eye, and I'm 6'-2". I thought of him as being small because I had only seen him on the court next to Robey, Phillips, Givens, and those guys.

Funny story, huh? Your turn. Isn't this great, all of us sitting around sharing stories about UK players from Indiana. Did we just become best friends? (from Stepbrothers)

I will talk about the great high school players from Kentucky that played for IU. .... .... .... ... Oh, ...

Okay, another story about Kyle. I've seen him around Lexington several times, and evidently, he was, and I suppose still is, a heck of a tennis player. When my son was in high school, he played tennis and played in a tournament against a player that Kyle coached, and he came to watch the match. So, there I sat, next to him, and once he looked at me and I nodded, and he nodded back. Man, was that cool. Okay, I guess that's not such a great story unless you understand how much UK fans idolize UK players, and how they are like celebrities to us. Even if Kyle doesn't seem to like Cal and doesn't seem happy with the program now, he's still a hero to us. Is it it that way with IU fans and IU players? What a great thread this is.

I would venture to say that if the names are changed on everything that has been discussed, there will still be people that will find fault with the new names. Guess that comes from the old saying that "you can't please everybody". The seems to be a pretty accurate statement in these times!

What’s this person have to do with U.K. basketball?

I'm guess you didn't see the earlier post where @Birnk referenced Bob Gibson along with a coupe of others and @Rock ask who he was.... I was obviously joking with my post.

Okay, another story about Kyle. I've seen him around Lexington several times, and evidently, he was, and I suppose still is, a heck of a tennis player. When my son was in high school, he played tennis and played in a tournament against a player that Kyle coached, and he came to watch the match. So, there I sat, next to him, and once he looked at me and I nodded, and he nodded back. Man, was that cool. Okay, I guess that's not such a great story unless you understand how much UK fans idolize UK players, and how they are like celebrities to us. Even if Kyle doesn't seem to like Cal and doesn't seem happy with the program now, he's still a hero to us. Is it it that way with IU fans and IU players? What a great thread this is.

Wow, he nodded at you? Was that just before or after you polished his knob?

I will talk about the great high school players from Kentucky that played for IU. .... .... .... ... Oh, ...
Yes, UK has a history of pulling some very good recruits out of Indiana, while IU has not been able to convince many / any of Kentucky’s best high schoolers to come to IU. If you notice a breeze, it’s the spinning propeller you just walked into.

Bc of Keion’s racist past? Poorly worded.

Who Rupp truly was.

"The first time Bassett and the Bulldogs played Kentucky was a home game on Jan. 17, 1972. Georgia won that game, 85-73. Bassett had 27 points and 13 rebounds. After the game, the legendary Kentucky coach Adolph Rupp approached Bassett

“He said I didn’t belong in the Southeast Conference, and he said, ‘We’ll get you back when you come to Lexington,’ ” Bassett said.

When the Bulldogs went to Lexington a month later, they entered the gym to find Bassett hanging in effigy from the ceiling. Stunned, Bassett’s teammates offered not to play the game if Bassett were too uncomfortable there. A motivated Bassett played anyway and had 17 points and 17 rebounds, but Georgia lost, 87-63."

Hang another player in effigy? Watch the toothless wonders try to defend/spin this one . . .

don't crowd the plate on that summbitch. Would stick one in your ribs. And if you gave him a dirty look about it, would do it again during your next at-bat.

But still #3 at the time behind Koufax & Marichal.

Gibson was to Koufax & Marichal as Frank Robinson was to Mays & Aaron. Two really great, fiery players who weren't quite as great as a couple of other guys who happened to be hanging around.

Who Rupp truly was.

"The first time Bassett and the Bulldogs played Kentucky was a home game on Jan. 17, 1972. Georgia won that game, 85-73. Bassett had 27 points and 13 rebounds. After the game, the legendary Kentucky coach Adolph Rupp approached Bassett

“He said I didn’t belong in the Southeast Conference, and he said, ‘We’ll get you back when you come to Lexington,’ ” Bassett said.

When the Bulldogs went to Lexington a month later, they entered the gym to find Bassett hanging in effigy from the ceiling. Stunned, Bassett’s teammates offered not to play the game if Bassett were too uncomfortable there. A motivated Bassett played anyway and had 17 points and 17 rebounds, but Georgia lost, 87-63."

Hang another player in effigy? Watch the toothless wonders try to defend/spin this one . . .
Definitely not a good practice.

Didn't Macy end up with a racehorse or two for attending UK?

Reactions: ufo33
But still #3 at the time behind Koufax & Marichal.

Gibson was to Koufax & Marichal as Frank Robinson was to Mays & Aaron. Two really great, fiery players who weren't quite as great as a couple of other guys who happened to be hanging around.
didn't say he was the best at that time, because, as you said...there were several legends pitching in that era. But no one made hitters uncomfortable quite like Gibson. He had a little extra 'mean' in him.

And in those days, the hitters didn't step into the box covered with battle armor like they do today. If Gibson plunked you, you still felt it 2 weeks later.

Reactions: Andy06
ADVERTISEMENT