ADVERTISEMENT

Kaufman.

Let's not forget a lot of good players that were drafted high, Cheney, Bailey, Guyton, Jeffries, Crawford, Benson, Alford, Graham, Cody, even Evans ... it's not as if these guys weren't solid pro's in their time. Some guys hit with the wrong team, some get injured, some get smart and realize they could see the world and make just as much.

Actually very few of the guys you listed were solid pros, at least in the NBA, and if you're going to consider overseas, then your list could be 3-4X as long. Cheaney and Jeffries both had pretty long careers, not sure any of the others did, well Cody is, but few of the other guys lasted 3 years in the NBA, which is the point of the discussion I was having.

Actually very few of the guys you listed were solid pros, at least in the NBA, and if you're going to consider overseas, then your list could be 3-4X as long. Cheaney and Jeffries both had pretty long careers, not sure any of the others did, well Cody is, but few of the other guys lasted 3 years in the NBA, which is the point of the discussion I was having.

True.

I will point out that Benson was in the NBA for about 10 years. But, with career averages of 9 ppg/6 rpg, it's hard not to consider him a bust after having been the overall first pick.

That said, I don't think Kent Benson's NBA career from 40ish years ago, however good or bad it was, is at all relevant to our recruiting today.

Let's not forget a lot of good players that were drafted high, Cheney, Bailey, Guyton, Jeffries, Crawford, Benson, Alford, Graham, Cody, even Evans ... it's not as if these guys weren't solid pro's in their time. Some guys hit with the wrong team, some get injured, some get smart and realize they could see the world and make just as much.
Wittman too --a solid pro for several years.

True.

I will point out that Benson was in the NBA for about 10 years. But, with career averages of 9 ppg/6 rpg, it's hard not to consider him a bust after having been the overall first pick.

That said, I don't think Kent Benson's NBA career from 40ish years ago, however good or bad it was, is at all relevant to our recruiting today.
Funny thing about Benson is that whenever you see highlights of Larry Bird at his best, Benson is in the picture too.

Eric Gordon too, and you could add DJ and Bracey too ... I said pro, not NBA All Stars, just guys that were drafted and hung around a while in the NBA or other professional leagues

True.

He got off to a less than optimal start.

Wittman too --a solid pro for several years.
Quinn hung around the league for a good while too. For those that recall, what happened with Ray Tolbert? He seemd to have had the tools to be a 10+ year guy. Injuries?

It's more about how well schools recruit. IU doesn't have as many nba players because we don't get as many 5 star players as other programs.

UK will have more because they churn out 5 star recruits. Not like UK and UNC are getting 1 star recruits and they magically go to the NBA.

I wonder how Mr. 4.5 points per game at UK feels about his NBA prospects now. Guess that "better offer" isn't always better.

Last edited:
I assume you’re kidding.
d3fbdbfd5d78228c3cfdb951b8d3b969.jpg

Trey’s high school teammate at Silver Creek, Kooper Jacobi, ,just committed to Toledo

Quinn hung around the league for a good while too. For those that recall, what happened with Ray Tolbert? He seemd to have had the tools to be a 10+ year guy. Injuries?
Bob Wilkerson was a good pro for many years, probably as long or even longer than Quinn.

Reactions: Bill4411
continuing to attempt a lot of 3s despite consistently poor conversion,
Huh?

You should probably look at the stats? "continuing to attempt" and being 325th in attempts ... makes it sound like you have no clue what you're talking about.

Last edited:
No discussion of Trey's top 5? Pretty much as expected, at least for 4 of the 5. I thought Lville would be on there, and where the heck did ISU come from? Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants?

No discussion of Trey's top 5? Pretty much as expected, at least for 4 of the 5. I thought Lville would be on there, and where the heck did ISU come from? Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants?
It surprised me, too, but i guess his uncle played there and is in their HOF.

Reactions: kkott
Well, there's precedent for that . . . RT went to Indiana State out of Silver Creek and Steve went to IU. So there's that at least.

Some of us may be a little less well-versed on Silver Creek alums. Steve I believe is Steve Green? Who is RT?

Some of us may be a little less well-versed on Silver Creek alums. Steve I believe is Steve Green? Who is RT?
RT Green, Steve's older brother. One of three Greens on Silver Creek's front line back in the day . . . the other was unrelated to the brothers.

RT became a lawyer and then a judge in Columbus years ago. Now he's practicing personal injury law in Fort Wayne. Very smart guy . . . and a good guy . . .

. . . I played on the local bar's softball team with RT back when we were young . . . he was 6'8" and could crush a softball well over the fence . . . but his hands were, um, let's just say not as soft as say Davey Concepcion's . . . .

Reactions: kkott
RT Green, Steve's older brother. One of three Greens on Silver Creek's front line back in the day . . . the other was unrelated to the brothers.

RT became a lawyer and then a judge in Columbus years ago. Now he's practicing personal injury law in Fort Wayne. Very smart guy . . . and a good guy . . .

. . . I played on the local bar's softball team with RT back when we were young . . . he was 6'8" and could crush a softball well over the fence . . . but his hands were, um, let's just say not as soft as say Davey Concepcion's . . . .
When we go to Indiana from Pennsylvania we go around Ft Wayne on 469. There are a ton of billboards for an injury lawyer they call,"The Hammer". It's not RT Green is it?

I was never a great softballer but I had some friends who were and we put together a really good team, and one of our regulars was Tony (?) George, Jeff's brother. This was the year Jeff was transferring from PU to ILL, so his brother put him on our roster and he played a couple games with us. I'd say 50% of his hits were HRs and 90% of the others were warning track. I also swore he could throw a softball from the fence to the catcher and the ball would never get above your head. I didn't even like catching a ball that he really put heat on. He was an average athlete in the NFL, but unbelievable on a competitive rec league softball roster and we had some really good players and athletes, but he was about 2 cuts above.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT