ADVERTISEMENT

Kaufman/ Norh Carolina offer..

This kid isn’t going to IU. He’s like a lot of kids in this area. Indiana just isn’t that big down here. It’s all about Kentucky, UofL, and UNC.

Reactions: Lucy01
This kid isn’t going to IU. He’s like a lot of kids in this area. Indiana just isn’t that big down here. It’s all about Kentucky, UofL, and UNC.

He may not end up at Indiana. However in the last decade i cant find any top rated recruits from Southern Indiana that went to Kentucky, U of L or UNC. Who are these kids you're talking about? Indiana has had 5.

He may not end up at Indiana. However in the last decade i cant find any top rated recruits from Southern Indiana that went to Kentucky, U of L or UNC. Who are these kids you're talking about? Indiana has had 5.

Well Romeo would've likely gone to UL if not for stripper gate. Who knows where Lander would've gone if UL wasn't facing sanctions. Besides those 2 how many elite players has Southern Indiana had?

There coming to take him away Ha Ha, No wait the sky is falling. For a good while, we did not have a coach who could offer kids much.

Well Romeo would've likely gone to UL if not for stripper gate. Who knows where Lander would've gone if UL wasn't facing sanctions. Besides those 2 how many elite players has Southern Indiana had?

If if if if if.

Cody Zeller too.

Still doesn't change that it was an I'll informed comment by FK.

Reactions: brianiu
If if if if if.

Cody Zeller too.

Still doesn't change that it was an I'll informed comment by FK.

It’s not ill-informed. I’m just telling you that IU doesn’t have much support from the younger fans in this area. They seem to all be UofL or UK kids unless their family is like Diehard IU alums or something. Kaufman’s family is UofL fans. For many months, I was expecting him to go there but he obviously isn’t extremely high on them.

I don’t think he was all that highly rated and it was probably more than a decade ago now. But Kyle Kuric went to UL and had a pretty solid career there. Started and averaged double figures for a couple years. He was from Southern Indiana.

Pat Graham, Calbert Chaney, Damon Bailey, Micheal Lewis.

Reactions: MG80
It’s not ill-informed. I’m just telling you that IU doesn’t have much support from the younger fans in this area. They seem to all be UofL or UK kids unless their family is like Diehard IU alums or something. Kaufman’s family is UofL fans. For many months, I was expecting him to go there but he obviously isn’t extremely high on them.

Yeah they are all massive fans... who never go to school there. 5 top rated southern Indiana kids have gone to IU the past decade. 0 to Louisville. 0 to Kentucky. And 0 to UNC.

Sounds like you are suggesting that consequences for breaking NCAA rules shouldn't count against Louisville.

Some of you underestimate the education component to this. He obviously wants to do more research in the academic side. The COVID thing has drastically slowed this process. He will go where both Athletics and academics fit. I think we get him or Miller not both.

...the last decade since IU lost its elite status.

Decade? I'd say that's farther back than a decade, sadly.

Anyway, this is a pointless discussion. How many past top recruits from X area that have gone to Y schools in Z time period has absolutely no bearing on what a current top recruit from X area is going to do.

You honestly think Kaufman is sitting there pondering "Let's see, Romeo Langford was from my area...and he chose IU over Louisville (and others). So why would I have any interest in Louisville -- or North Carolina, for that matter?"

The competition for Kaufman has continued to heat up with recent offers from UNC and Virginia. I don't have the slightest idea where he'll end up. Hopefully he'll be a Hoosier. But every offer a guy gets -- especially from upper echelon programs like these two -- is just that much more competition for his commit.

But offers like that certainly do suggest that he'd be a strong catch for whoever hooks him.

Reactions: kkott
All the UNC campuses have been told to figure out how to cut their budgets 50%. Hopefully they won’t have to do that, but as a smart guy who wants a good education it’s worth thinking about.
North Carolina’s legislature (both houses) have made it illegal for a town or county or public university to take down monuments to even the nastiest racists and worst traitors. And in NC there are several of them. That should give Indiana a big step up.

All the UNC campuses have been told to figure out how to cut their budgets 50%. Hopefully they won’t have to do that, but as a smart guy who wants a good education it’s worth thinking about.
North Carolina’s legislature (both houses) have made it illegal for a town or county or public university to take down monuments to even the nastiest racists and worst traitors. And in NC there are several of them. That should give Indiana a big step up.

Not sure if there is a law prohibiting such, but the infamous Civil War statue on Chapel Hill's campus, SIlent Sam, was knocked down and defaced by a crowd of protesters and I think the school has no intention of allowing it back on campus. There's also debate all over the state about removing monuments, so it doesn't seem any law is stopping the discussion. Personally I think that's a pretty thin argument regarding recruiting and as I said, they could point to Silent Sam as proof that it's been addressed, even if not removed by the school or state. If that's where we're hanging our hopes, I'd say they are faint indeed.

There are good people in the state. Some knocked down that statue, which the University does not want but could not legally get rid of and, if the legislature has its way, would have to put back up. The legislature could certainly remove the law that said the campus could not remove the statute, but Jim Crow lovers would turn them out of office for it.
Indiana politics leaves a lot to be desired but North Carolina still has a lot of people actually proud of the Confederacy. That should be a big black mark for recruiting!

Reactions: IUgradman
Trayce was not from Southern Indiana and Leal was a 3 star that none of the big dogs wanted. Not sure what your point is.

I'm from the north and anything below Indianapolis is southern Indiana to me. ;) vbg.

The point is no top level recruits from southern Indiana have gone to Louisville in over a decade. 5 have gone to iu. This was a counter point to FKs claims.

I call BS - I'm from that area and there is plenty of support for IU there. Lots of UK and UofL too (unfortunately, but I guess understandably), but I rarely see UNC fans. IU is far and away more popular than UNC there.

Yeah they are all massive fans... who never go to school there. 5 top rated southern Indiana kids have gone to IU the past decade. 0 to Louisville. 0 to Kentucky. And 0 to UNC.

For a moment I thought Tyler Zeller, but you are still correct... he was '08.

He is a kid. Imagine you were in his shoes, his next year in BB he needs a crystal ball to look too far in the future. If I were at his age guaranteed multiple trips anywhere he desires until he signs anywhere we are still #1 choice.

Sellersburg has a huge IU following. Probably more than UofL, UK, and UNC combined.

It's been IU territory down here as far as I can remember...I live close to the school and my cousin was Principal for what seemed like 100 years.

Silver Creek High School's greatest player to date was IU star Steve Green. Trey could be better and he knows what it means for an Indiana kid to be a Hoosier.

The Dragons head basketball coach has been seen walking his neighborhood carrying his refreshment in an IU cup...not UofL, not UK, and not UNC. If Trey doesn't go to IU then the reason won't be IU or its fans...period.

This seems like a Romeo replay with the naysayers on this site.

Put INDIANA on your chest Trey!

Sellersburg has a huge IU following. Probably more than UofL, UK, and UNC combined.

It's been IU territory down here as far as I can remember...I live close to the school and my cousin was Principal for what seemed like 100 years.

Silver Creek High School's greatest player to date was IU star Steve Green. Trey could be better and he knows what it means for an Indiana kid to be a Hoosier.

The Dragons head basketball coach has been seen walking his neighborhood carrying his refreshment in an IU cup...not UofL, not UK, and not UNC. If Trey doesn't go to IU then the reason won't be IU or its fans...period.

U r correct. I grew up in sellersburg, went to silver creek, and was in school the same time as Steve green. U know green was knights first commitment. And, I can tell u prior to Bobby, iu was not that popular in the area. But that changed in a hurry and has been that way ever since.

U r correct. I grew up in sellersburg, went to silver creek, and was in school the same time as Steve green. U know green was knights first commitment. And, I can tell u prior to Bobby, iu was not that popular in the area. But that changed in a hurry and has been that way ever since.
Absolutely agree. I had sisters in the 1969,71,73 classes at SCHS.

I agree, I don't know what area that guy was talking about that said no younger IU fans. I've been to all New Albany games for over 30 years and when Romeo was playing you heard the student section from New Albany and almost every school he played at do IU chant, never heard any UK or UL chants during his time there.

Hmmm
I'm starting to wonder ..If he'll ever see Btown.
It doesn’t sound like Trey is a high priority for UNC. Supposedly Roy hasn’t even spoken to him. The recruitment is being handled by an assistant. They are bringing in several top 50 wings and big forwards both in 2021 and 2022 so potential PT could be in question anyway. It seems highly doubtful he’s going there.

It doesn’t sound like Trey is a high priority for UNC. Supposedly Roy hasn’t even spoken to him. The recruitment is being handled by an assistant. They are bringing in several top 50 wings and big forwards both in 2021 and 2022 so potential PT could be in question anyway. It seems highly doubtful he’s going there.
Trey will never go to unc. He’s a great student and can take his own tests.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT