ADVERTISEMENT

Kaufman Announcement Date Set for 10-30

It's not just about getting bodies. I think it's important for IU to get the best in the state when we go after them. Watching Mich St, UM, OSU, etc... poach our players has been difficult. I know we won't get every single guy we go after, but that doesn't keep me from hoping. I think it's important for top IN players to see that many/most of the past top IN players that iu has recruited have gone there. When we start showing the results we should have, then we'll be in the position where they WANT to come here. That's where I want to be, and imo opinion it doesn't help that cause as much getting a grad transfer etc... from elsewhere.
I'm not talking about grad transfers. I'm talking about the NCAA letting players transfer without sitting out year. Mass free agency.

Based on what? Truly interested to know why you see it this way. Thanks.
I just think if he could win at Dayton, he will win at IU. Just at a bigger scale. I guess we will see now that he has his own recruits. I always feel like they could win it all when the season starts. LOL

But would you intentionally do it on a radio station in Southern IN? That's not quite how you bury this news in this circumstance. To me, that seems like a good indicator for IU, and I don't pretend to have any knowledge of his recruitment, just human nature.

Good point as well. All I know is that most here will be happy if he selects Iu and a few will amp up the trolling.

It’s just a shame when expectations don’t intersect with reality. All expectations are based on results from 20 years ago, and with the exception of 2002, things were not that great during the 10 years prior. I would enjoy seeing the Hoosiers be routinely in the upper echelon, but they must make that jump soon because the memory of great teams is fading with each passing year.
I'll go on record as saying things haven't been as most would expect in the IU program since Bailey's sr year of 1994 (sans Mar/April 2002 and Cody's 2 yrs, plus Yogi's sr yr). This when IU basketball first became elite in our minds but stopped showing that way on the court. The slow slide begin the year after- spent most of the year outside the top 25, failed to win 20 games, first round bounce in the tourney; the Neil Reid/Andre Patterson frosh yr when, despite injection of young talent, things just started to feel a little off with RMK and the team and didn't really improve through 2000 and RMK's departure.

Last edited:
It’s just a shame when expectations don’t intersect with reality. All expectations are based on results from 20 years ago, and with the exception of 2002, things were not that great during the 10 years prior. I would enjoy seeing the Hoosiers be routinely in the upper echelon, but they must make that jump soon because the memory of great teams is fading with each passing year.

And that is a real risk. That said, no other program would draw fans, ratings, clicks, recruits and angry trolls 33 years after the last banner the way IU does. Deep roots and unfair expectations.

Neither one is going to a FF any time soon. MP got to an EE on a favorable bracket and bad call and that is likely his Zeneth,,,other than beating IU of course.

How was that a favorable bracket? I’d argue it’s not his zenith because that was maybe his 5th most talented team he’s had at Purdue and they were a fluke away from a F4.

He's been at IU for 3 years and he would've been in the tourney last year if it wasn't for Covid. Some of the best coaches of all time took that long or longer to get their programs going.

We'll see what happens this year as it's Archie's most important year so far.
Anybody can win at Dayton. When has they program ever been down?

I just think if he could win at Dayton, he will win at IU. Just at a bigger scale. I guess we will see now that he has his own recruits. I always feel like they could win it all when the season starts. LOL
Fair enough. Thanks.

Reactions: Willray
How was that a favorable bracket? I’d argue it’s not his zenith because that was maybe his 5th most talented team he’s had at Purdue and they were a fluke away from a F4.

They were a fluke away from a S16 as well. MP rode the coat tail of a hot shooter. Tenn #2 lol

So, if he's had 4 more talented teams that didn't get as far or farther, that actually argues more that that was his zenith, not less. I'm not sure if you are getting flustered by posting here, but I thought you used to be a better poster than this!

So, if he's had 4 more talented teams that didn't get as far or farther, that actually argues more that that was his zenith, not less. I'm not sure if you are getting flustered by posting here, but I thought you used to be a better poster than this!
Or it simply suggests that context matters? Injuries happen (Hummel). The tournament can be fluky. Use your brain please. This trolling is so low effort.

Lol. Or he finally had a healthy team when the tournament started.

Or it simply suggests that context matters? Injuries happen (Hummel). The tournament can be fluky. Use your brain please. This trolling is so low effort.

Kkott is trolling??? Really???

Who is on their rivals board?

I will help you out, the answer is NOT kkott! No thanks needed. I like to help the mentally challenged.

Reactions: kkott

This from the second worst troll on this board. BTW, you will never catch Ordy.

The tournament being a “fluke” doesn’t explain why the last time Purdue made the final four Jimmy Carter was in the White House. It’s been over 40 years.

Yikes.

Not to get on-topic but this is trending pretty poorly for Purdue the last half-day or so.
I don't think it really is, but could understand why you hold the thoughts you do. There is no reason why you should think I know more about this than you and so I understand why we could read the tea leaves different. There are many Purdue fans that think he may go to IU as well. However, I will be "shocked" if it is not Purdue. Let's just say I hope to be a lucky guesser. I won't be angry if he goes elsewhere, but will wonder what if??? I understand why others hold the view they do and the reality is there is NO guarantee that Trey couldn't switch whatever decision he has today by Friday.

I hope I'm the lucky guesser and you hope you are the lucky guesser and somewhere Virginia and possibly North Carolina have people just like us. No matter what IU and Purdue basketball will go on after FRiday. ;)

Hmmmm
Often news that is intended to get buried is dropped at 6:00 PM (late rush hour) on a Friday as the weekend starts. Referred to as "Friday News Dump"

If my son were announcing for a school not named IU I would encourage him to do it at 6:00 PM on a Friday.

I think that and TReys Tweet concerning surprising people and how quiet he has kept this is not a good sign for IU. That is me speculating why Trey may have done what he did. If all your friends and neighbors were going to be very happy...why so quiet?

Course kids can surprise us all the time and your 6 PM reference combined with his tweet and the overall quietness may not have anything to do with this. After 6pm we can then speculate about even more. ;)

Lol. Or he finally had a healthy team when the tournament started.
Sure, sure... injuries only happen to PU. At least we own that we've sucked, and we've had our fair share of late season injuries, btw. Also, I'm glad to see that no IU fans have said that CAM cooled on TK or that some other school is cheating... defacto defenses on the PU board from past experiences.

I think that and TReys Tweet concerning surprising people and how quiet he has kept this is not a good sign for IU. That is me speculating why Trey may have done what he did. If all your friends and neighbors were going to be very happy...why so quiet?

Course kids can surprise us all the time and your 6 PM reference combined with his tweet and the overall quietness may not have anything to do with this. After 6pm we can then speculate about even more. ;)

The 6pm Friday thing, despite being said by an IU guy, I think is a non-issue. That's how you bury national news, not a kids press conference to announce a college. And again, you wouldn't insure you had a Southern IN radio station broadcasting it if you wanted to avoid inciting the locals by picking a school other than IU. I think that tea leaf is very much turned in IU's favor. If he goes to PU, I think it's a masterful bit of recruiting by MP.

KKott isn’t trolling. You may disagree with him, but he’s no troll. The other guy, however, is notorious for it. He’s all over your boards, by the way, under various handles. Bizarre stuff.

The 6pm Friday thing, despite being said by an IU guy, I think is a non-issue. That's how you bury national news, not a kids press conference to announce a college. And again, you wouldn't insure you had a Southern IN radio station broadcasting it if you wanted to avoid inciting the locals by picking a school other than IU. I think that tea leaf is very much turned in IU's favor. If he goes to PU, I think it's a masterful bit of recruiting by MP.
Exactly, the “news dump” theory isn’t a part of this. If he was worried about negative publicity, he’d commit to a coach and the word would quickly leak out without any commentary from him.

That is reasonable, but perhaps it is as much Trey seeing Purdue a better deal for what he values? Matt may have done the same recruiting approach even altered correctly to the personal differences of another player and that player might go elsewhere and so Trey had to say yes as well...assuming he does. It has to be a two way street and by all visual standards, Trey doesn't seem like the typical recruit. He seems not only bright and serious, but so well grounded. Sooooooo many really good high school players that have been catered to get a big head until college takes them down a notch. Trey seems to have his head on pretty good and so he is a bit different animal.

As I have said, I expect him to go to Purdue...and if he does not only will Matt have gotten a very good player obviously doing a good job recruiting, but Trey had to want what Matt was selling. I think all the IU fans thinking he is going to IU have very sound reasons for their thoughts. I just hold a different view. I "think" I've guessed right on this one...but we won't know for a couple of days. ;)

I'm guessing the last time a kid announced for Purdue from Jeffersonville in basketball was Wayne Walls in 1976...assuming again that Trey goes to Purdue. I could be wrong, but can't think of any others...and I know Trey did not go to Jeffersonville. ;)

Last edited:
Exactly, the “news dump” theory isn’t a part of this. If he was worried about negative publicity, he’d commit to a coach and the word would quickly leak out without any commentary from him.
you could be exactly right...i'm just trying to tie in his tweet about people being surprised a couple of weeks ago or so. Would Purdue fans outside of me be as surprised if he went to IU as IU fans will be if he goes to Purdue...or are both schools going to be surprised? ;)

That is reasonable, but perhaps it is as much Trey seeing Purdue a better deal for what he values? Matt may have done the same recruiting approach even altered correctly to the personal differences of another player and that player might go elsewhere and so Trey had to say yes as well...assuming he does. It has to be a two way street and by all visual standards, Trey doesn't seem like the typical recruit. He seems not only bright and serious, but so well grounded. Sooooooo many really good high school players that have been catered to get a big head until college takes them down a notch. Trey seems to have his head on pretty good and so he is a bit different animal.

I'm guessing the last time a kid announced for Purdue from Jeffersonville in basketball was Wayne Walls in 1976...assuming again that Trey goes top Purdue. I could be wrong, but can't think of any others...and I know Trey did not go to Jeffersonville. ;)

As I have said, I expect him to go to Purdue...and if he does not only will Matt have gotten a very good player obviously doing a good job recruiting, but Trey had to want what Matt was selling. I think all the IU fans thinking he is going to IU have very sound reasons for their thoughts. I just hold a different view. I "think" I've guessed right on this one...but we won't know for a couple of days. ;)
Obviously you think you've guessed right... you're here aren't you? The gnashing of teeth about other programs cheating and Matt cooling on him, will come if he doesn't pick PU, as it has so often in the past. I just think IU has more to sell with getting him to the NBA. We actually have a pretty solid track record of that currently despite our struggles; while PU, not so much. He knows more of our players it seems and we're likely to have a big hole where his minutes will come from. I just don't see that at PU. TK and CF need to both show largely the same skill set to get to the NBA, and both I'm sure want that. MP's history has been that he's going to want a true 5, which pushes CF down to the 4... and TK will be playing the 3/4. It also seemed to me that MP actually did cool on TK and I thought it was clear that PU wanted Ingram more, then turned the heat back up on TK once Ingram went elsewhere. Just my observations, I don't follow recruiting as close as many, and PU recruiting hardly at all, except where there's cross over. As I said, if he picks PU I think it was a masterful job of recruiting by MP.

Just threw it out there. As valid as any of the other speculative crap we are reading here.

Reactions: rikki-tikka-tava

That's not what his "tweet" said. Out was also on Instagram.

Obviously you think you've guessed right... you're here aren't you? The gnashing of teeth about other programs cheating and Matt cooling on him, will come if he doesn't pick PU, as it has so often in the past. I just think IU has more to sell with getting him to the NBA. We actually have a pretty solid track record of that currently despite our struggles; while PU, not so much. He knows more of our players it seems and we're likely to have a big hole where his minutes will come from. I just don't see that at PU. TK and CF need to both show largely the same skill set to get to the NBA, and both I'm sure want that. MP's history has been that he's going to want a true 5, which pushes CF down to the 4... and TK will be playing the 3/4. It also seemed to me that MP actually did cool on TK and I thought it was clear that PU wanted Ingram more, then turned the heat back up on TK once Ingram went elsewhere. Just my observations, I don't follow recruiting as close as many, and PU recruiting hardly at all, except where there's cross over. As I said, if he picks PU I think it was a masterful job of recruiting by MP.
First, I'm here to see if I can pick up anything that might sway me I hadn't considered. I think the IU posters have some sound reasons. I'm NOT here to start any problems, nor gloat should Trey pick Purdue.

Matt was willing to take Trey and Ingram. I don't think Matt has ever cooled on Trey no matter what some posters may have led you to believe. The players in the NBA from IU were more often than not rated higher going to IU. I think they were athletic enough that they got to the NBA more than the development at IU. That is me and I'm sure others disagree. I understand your reasoning to draw the conclusion you did and it is reasonable.

People said guards needn't apply at Purdue it is a Big man's school and Carsen changed that. Matt didn't get to win as much as he did against the same competion as others in the Big by not adjusting to the talent he had when so very many of the Big coaches actually had much more star power. There is no reason Matt can't play with two fours and no 5 if that is the best lineup. It is my personal favorite...similar to the Michigan team of Wilson and Wagner a few years ago.

Reactions: BAM95
That's not what his "tweet" said. Out was also on Instagram.
You could be correct I've not seen the tweet for some time. Are you able to post it...I have no problem admitting I misremembered it, if I did. I only remember 'OR" thought I understood it was in reference to people being surprised. Again, I have no problem admitting I'm wrong if that is the case and it certainly could have an effect on my trying to put things together on my end.

I don’t care what you think. If they stay healthy they’ll be a top 15 team and good enough to make the final 4. This team is going to be a lot better than what people realize.

I like your thinking. May all of your predictions come true.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT