ADVERTISEMENT

Kasey Teegardin....

Nice step up (and presumably a huge bump in compensation) for Teegardin and, as 76 said, no introductions are necessary. Just hope he's ready, as this is a very important slot.

Spring practice starts this weekend and there's a lot to keep an eye on (QB, for starters), but it's killing me that the opener against FIU is still six months off. I'm really anxious to see what this team is capable of in CTA's second year as HC. We are near the bottom nationally in returning production and obviously that's a concern. We do, though, have several skill position guys back on O and some important cogs (including Ball, after losing him to injury last year) on D. One unit that actually does return quite a bit is the OL. The progress that Hiller is able to make with this group could be pivotal.

Nice step up (and presumably a huge bump in compensation) for Teegardin and, as 76 said, no introductions are necessary. Just hope he's ready, as this is a very important slot.

Spring practice starts this weekend and there's a lot to keep an eye on (QB, for starters), but it's killing me that the opener against FIU is still six months off. I'm really anxious to see what this team is capable of in CTA's second year as HC. We are near the bottom nationally in returning production and obviously that's a concern. We do, though, have several skill position guys back on O and some important cogs (including Ball, after losing him to injury last year) on D. One unit that actually does return quite a bit is the OL. The progress that Hiller is able to make with this group could be pivotal.
I’m so excited just for spring practice that it’s bordering on silly. Ha ha

Another graduate assistant is now a full time position coach. Wonder how many D1 programs have two position coaches who came straight from the grad assistant ranks. No surprise that the coaching budget is impacting these hires. Hope it works out.
Agree it probably looks lower budget driven compared to the OSU/UM's of the world, but a flip side could be, these are really hungry, aggressive young coaches looking to make their way and build their careers. Sometimes shoe leather and grit can make up for a lot. Then add the appreciation for the opportunity and I bet you'll see some very committed guys who are going to work hard as they did to get the opportunity they've been given. Could be good young recruiters too. Sometimes young blood is better than retreads as well.

Another graduate assistant is now a full time position coach. Wonder how many D1 programs have two position coaches who came straight from the grad assistant ranks. No surprise that the coaching budget is impacting these hires. Hope it works out.

Quick looks and I found that Wisconsin’s TE and QB coaches and Maryland’s TE and DB coaches were grad assistants prior to their current positions. Probably pretty common actually.

Looking at all the hires Allen has made, only Sheridan and Hart didn’t have a previous personal connection with him, but they did have one with DeBord. It’s clear that Allen values these personal connections. And I doubt money is an issue because Heard, Hiller, and Hart make pretty competitive salaries for P5 assistants.

He’s the safeties coach. What BIG NAME did people want for the prestigious position of safeties coach? He’s been a position coach before, and was just hired at a smaller school as assistant head coach and defensive coordinator. How exactly do you think these guys move up in the world? We didn’t hire him to be our defensive coordinator, he’s in charge of one position. That’s how you move up. You make contacts and slowly get promoted. There’s no need for any “flipside,” there’s nothing unusual about this at all.
I agree this is a good hire. Also the guy was the youngest d-coordinator in the NCAA (24) ever at Charleston and IMO that has major cred. He has coached LB's, special teams and safeties too. Time will tell.

I agree this is a good hire. Also the guy was the youngest d-coordinator in the NCAA (24) ever at Charleston and IMO that has major cred. He has coached LB's, special teams and safeties too. Time will tell.

It appears that the grad assistant job is becoming a much higher level position than it once was. It’s no longer purely an entry level job. Many GAs on P5 teams seem to have at least several years experience as a full assistant at a smaller school before taking that job. The career training experience is probably more important than salary st that point in their career.

He’s the safeties coach. What BIG NAME did people want for the prestigious position of safeties coach? He’s been a position coach before, and was just hired at a smaller school as assistant head coach and defensive coordinator. How exactly do you think these guys move up in the world? We didn’t hire him to be our defensive coordinator, he’s in charge of one position. That’s how you move up. You make contacts and slowly get promoted. There’s no need for any “flipside,” there’s nothing unusual about this at all.

Also, you’re agreeing with a troll with 19 different handles.

I don't follow the multiple troll personalities so may have missed it. I try to be diplomatic to most and w/out going too aggressive, was pointing out the obvious per your above...a safeties coach is usually not going to be a past D-1 HC looking for next job. I've seen "Coach Tee" talked about a lot by players, on social media, etc. He seems like he's already "family" and I bet he's just thrilled with this opportunity and is going to bust his ass to excel.

I have zero issue with this hire and bet he'll do quite well. Coaches rise one stepping stone at a time. And like competition among players, having young, hungry, ambitious coaches on your staff makes everyone better.

I doubt any hire for a position coach is going to excite anyone. Most guys at this level are unknowns to the majority of fans.

Allen has hired people either he or Debord knows to fill out the staff. We can only hope the strategy works.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
He’s a great coach. When he first got to IU some guys on defense thought that he was a defensive coordinator or position coach because of how he carried himself. Although Wilson introduced him as a GA, some guys forgot and thought he was an actual coach. He’s very detail oriented, and an excellent teacher. He will also get fired up. He’s the guy that you’d want on the staff. He’s one of those coaches that makes it hard to fail. He’s so detailed that it puts you in a good situation by default if you just somewhat pay attention to what he’s telling you.

He’s a great coach. When he first got to IU some guys on defense thought that he was a defensive coordinator or position coach because of how he carried himself. Although Wilson introduced him as a GA, some guys forgot and thought he was an actual coach. He’s very detail oriented, and an excellent teacher. He will also get fired up. He’s the guy that you’d want on the staff. He’s one of those coaches that makes it hard to fail. He’s so detailed that it puts you in a good situation by default if you just somewhat pay attention to what he’s telling you.
Thank you for this. This is what I was looking for, as it provides some perspective on what was otherwise lacking about the reasoning behind the hire.

I don't follow the multiple troll personalities so may have missed it. I try to be diplomatic to most and w/out going too aggressive, was pointing out the obvious per your above...a safeties coach is usually not going to be a past D-1 HC looking for next job. I've seen "Coach Tee" talked about a lot by players, on social media, etc. He seems like he's already "family" and I bet he's just thrilled with this opportunity and is going to bust his ass to excel.

I have zero issue with this hire and bet he'll do quite well. Coaches rise one stepping stone at a time. And like competition among players, having young, hungry, ambitious coaches on your staff makes everyone better.

It should be a very nice bump in pay for him. The average salary range for GA assistants is between $35-45k right now. I believe that Noah Joseph was right around $250k, assuming Teegardin was hired into the position at that same price point.

GA assistant jobs were brutal. Most of those guys were making the equivalent of $9 an hour just a few years ago while attending class and putting in 60 hours “at the office” during the season. It’s clearly a football stepping stone job.

https://www.simplyhired.com/search?q=ncaa+graduate+assistant+football

Except for a few exceptions, this looks too be a young, hungry, talented bunch of solid coaches. I think it may be IU's best since I've been a fan...and that's a long time boys lol. They need some seasoning. I just hope IU and its crazy fan base (myself included vbg) can wait on the sure to come results.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Except for a few exceptions, this looks too be a young, hungry, talented bunch of solid coaches. I think it may be IU's best since I've been a fan...and that's a long time boys lol. They need some seasoning. I just hope IU and its crazy fan base (myself included vbg) can wait on the sure to come results.
Yeah. I don’t know how effective they’ll be as teachers. But I have full confidence in Kasey because he always broke the game down to me differently. He makes his players think like coaches. So regardless of the situation, you’re thinking like a coach on the field because of how he trains you. I can promise you the safeties will have the ability to make their own calls with both Allen and Kasey working with the safeties. That’s a big advantage when you run into no-huddle offenses and don’t have to look to the sideline to make calls.

As for the other young coaches, it makes me nervous because I don’t know them lol. Maybe they’re good, maybe they arent. I have no clue until September

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT