ADVERTISEMENT

Karma.....and the parking lot pirate.....

Harpo Marxist

Hall of Famer
Sep 11, 2002
Went to the grocery store....pulled into the lot....waiting because a car ahead was backing out of a spot....I was on the left side so getting my pick up in would be easier...had my turn signal on. Well....when the car was clear and out....a car zooms by my right side from behind me ...and takes the parking spot. I was pissed....Anyway, took another spot farther out....walked toward the store...and Karen...all 250 pounds of her got out of the car and walked in ahead of me. I didn't say anything. She got a big cart..I grabbed a plastic hand cart...wanting a couple of things....we went our separate ways.

Well, I got my two items..and needed a a twelve pack too ....so I'm carrying in both hands. I walk by a couple of isles....heading to the front. Lo and behold.....an empty cart is sitting about 6 feet into an isle...empty. I looked down the isle...and there's Karen....picking up peanut butter or something reading the jar. I thought.....no....you can't. Then....I decided...yes, I can. I put my plastic hand cart and the 12 pack in the shopping cart and off I went. I had this incredible urge to circle the isle....and did so. There was Karen.....looking around bewildered as I passed by her. I walked by her and said....Nice day, isn't it? She said...It would be if some thief didn't take your shopping cart......I kept walking...and said...Know what you mean...m'aam......they take parking spots too. I kept walking and didn't look back. Yes.......

I interpreted this story to be a metaphor for Archie's buyout. The 10 mil buyout is theft by Archie, and his duty to mitigate and find work is IU recouping the buyout/theft.

Reactions: mk23
Went to the grocery store....pulled into the lot....waiting because a car ahead was backing out of a spot....I was on the left side so getting my pick up in would be easier...had my turn signal on. Well....when the car was clear and out....a car zooms by my right side from behind me ...and takes the parking spot. I was pissed....Anyway, took another spot farther out....walked toward the store...and Karen...all 250 pounds of her got out of the car and walked in ahead of me. I didn't say anything. She got a big cart..I grabbed a plastic hand cart...wanting a couple of things....we went our separate ways.

Well, I got my two items..and needed a a twelve pack too ....so I'm carrying in both hands. I walk by a couple of isles....heading to the front. Lo and behold.....an empty cart is sitting about 6 feet into an isle...empty. I looked down the isle...and there's Karen....picking up peanut butter or something reading the jar. I thought.....no....you can't. Then....I decided...yes, I can. I put my plastic hand cart and the 12 pack in the shopping cart and off I went. I had this incredible urge to circle the isle....and did so. There was Karen.....looking around bewildered as I passed by her. I walked by her and said....Nice day, isn't it? She said...It would be if some thief didn't take your shopping cart......I kept walking...and said...Know what you mean...m'aam......they take parking spots too. I kept walking and didn't look back. Yes.......

Now that is a classic case of INSTANT Karma! 😁

Reactions: Jssanto and 76-1

I hope no one obsesses over this post's subject line not having an "OT" in it, because that story just made my day. Not many of us get the chance to enjoy instant karma on that level. Well played, sir.

Well played and refined - enormous props for self-restraint. Fair chance I'd have just casually cut the valve stem off one of her tires and never given it another thought. Your approach was much more 'civilized' and makes for a far better story.

Reactions: Jssanto and iulb

Excellent

Well played and refined - enormous props for self-restraint. Fair chance I'd have just casually cut the valve stem off one of her tires and never given it another thought. Your approach was much more 'civilized' and makes for a far better story.
Loosening the valve core inside the stem is less destructive and not immediately obvious.

Reactions: VanHoosier

This sounds like something I would have done a while back, but this is also a problem with the way we treat each other in this nation today.
Just because someone does something we do not like does not mean we should do something mean back to them. This is a fault in my character I am working on.
It may seem petty, but little things like this could lead to something just a bit bigger next time. And then continue to grow.
It may not be the right place, but if not here and now, when and where.
Frustrated, yes but we have to let these little things go. Be the bigger person.

This sounds like something I would have done a while back, but this is also a problem with the way we treat each other in this nation today.
Just because someone does something we do not like does not mean we should do something mean back to them. This is a fault in my character I am working on.
It may seem petty, but little things like this could lead to something just a bit bigger next time. And then continue to grow.
It may not be the right place, but if not here and now, when and where.
Frustrated, yes but we have to let these little things go. Be the bigger person.

I agree to an extent, but also believe we can be teachers on this earth. Sometimes the best form of teaching is what the OP did. It could have, and hopefully did, give her a moment of pause to think about what he said about the parking spot. Maybe she isn’t such a B next time. Maybe she never got it and just goes on unfazed. If lessons can be learned I am all for it. I think of this as Bobby pulling a kid over, and grilling him about discipline on defense.

I agree to an extent, but also believe we can be teachers on this earth. Sometimes the best form of teaching is what the OP did. It could have, and hopefully did, give her a moment of pause to think about what he said about the parking spot. Maybe she isn’t such a B next time. Maybe she never got it and just goes on unfazed. If lessons can be learned I am all for it. I think of this as Bobby pulling a kid over, and grilling him about discipline on defense.

Oh, if only what stated could be true but what I think is much more likely is that she doesn't have a clue that her behavior was questionable in any way. Most don't see past the end of their nose and I am sure that I have been guilty of that in the past too. It is a function of our society today. Sad.

Oh, if only what stated could be true but what I think is much more likely is that she doesn't have a clue that her behavior was questionable in any way. Most don't see past the end of their nose and I am sure that I have been guilty of that in the past too. It is a function of our society today. Sad.

I think she doesn’t have a clue either. Which is why he should have put a sticky note on her car after he left. Truly is a nice day, thanks for the cart, glad you enjoyed my spot!

A lot of times we can get like that if we have only a certain amount of time to complete a task. If I have so many minutes to get my stuff at the store then I have tunnel vision.

I think she doesn’t have a clue either. Which is why he should have put a sticky note on her car after he left. Truly is a nice day, thanks for the cart, glad you enjoyed my spot!
If she had a clue, her name wouldn’t be Karen. Am I not right? I should just leave it at that, but always feel the need to dig a little deeper. The music died the day Polish jokes were no longer funny, much like the “crap-happy Jappy with the slap-happy Pappy” Mickey Rooney character portrayal in Breakfast at Tiffany’s. My bold prediction into the future (snare drum enhanced)...someday Karen jokes will no longer be told because they ceased in funniness as White Privilege, now a minority, (the future now, as remembered) deems it racist in nature. Until that time, parents no longer name their newborn daughter Karen, much like they no longer christen their firstborn son, and subsequent one’s, Doofus or Buckwheat.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
Loosening the valve core inside the stem is less destructive and not immediately obvious.
Cameras everywhere and Fat Karen would have done what all Karens do after being aggressive...they go all victim mode.

tumblr_inline_ol9g0sqTYS1utouc7_540.png

Just print out a bunch of posters with this image for just such an occasion

Last edited:
Reactions: RBB89
I interpreted this story to be a metaphor for Archie's buyout. The 10 mil buyout is theft by Archie, and his duty to mitigate and find work is IU recouping the buyout/theft.
I'm fiscally conservative, but would totally like Archie to mitigate at Krogers or the Ruler. Speaking of the Ruler, it's a serious f'n experience. I went once in a pinch and came out dazed. It makes a trip Kroger feel like Disney World

Cameras everywhere and Fat Karen would have done what all Karens do after being aggressive...they go all victim mode.
This reminded me of the time I was driving home from work in rush hour traffic, waiting at a green light so I could to turn left. Some guy across the intersection in a pickup truck was turning right, driving like a woman in lallygagging fashion so I hurriedly turned in front of him because he was going so slow. It shouldn’t have been a big deal to the normal person. I looked in the rear view mirror to see him give me the dreaded “finger,” not thinking anymore of it as he then turned left to enter another business. End of mild confrontation, or so I thought. A mile down the road I stopped at a Sam’s Club for supplies. The next day I happened to notice the passenger side of my Jeep Cherokee had been keyed. It didn’t take too long to figure out the testosterone fueled ass-wipe had turned left behind me only to throw me off his follow. Unbeknownst to me, he was now several cars behind me. I thought of those parking lot cameras at Sam’s, but also thought of the short-fused redneck hellbent on retaliation, so I just left it at that-a scratch I couldn’t itch, ‘cause of that mean sonofabitch!

• Haha
Reactions: EarlTubbs
Better karma example was a guy pulling into the parking lot at work and somebody grabbed his parking spot in the same way. They flipped the bird at each other, and then the guy found another spot, parked, and went into the office.

First meeting on the day's agenda was interviewing a job candidate. The candidate was the guy who had just flipped him the bird! It was a short interview.

Love it.

Happened to me one time. The guy got out and even looked at me with this SH-t eating grin. Got pissed and just happened to have some small packets of ketchup which I preceeded to put under his door handle. Would loved to have seen his reaction. Was the only time I’ve ever messed with someone else’s car.

Know that. Also takes far more time. Time is luck.
Pick the 2 wheels away from sight of the door and use the car to shield you. Many improvised tools will quickly loosen them. Few people carry around a valve core removal tool. You can also jam something inthe valve and put the cap back on.

I once put a person's car up on cinder blocks in the school parking lot without being caught. Quick and stealthy. It was payback for a girl that switched the license plate on my car and several friends.

Pick the 2 wheels away from sight of the door and use the car to shield you. Many improvised tools will quickly loosen them. Few people carry around a valve core removal tool. You can also jam something inthe valve and put the cap back on.

I once put a person's car up on cinder blocks in the school parking lot without being caught. Quick and stealthy. It was payback for a girl that switched the license plate on my car and several friends.
What an odd thread this has become.

In the time it takes to sabotage a single valve cap, one can slice/puncture the valve stems on all four tires - quick as leaning down and snapping one's fingers. Just doing one requires no shielding and can be made to look no more suspicious than picking up a coin/piece of litter.

Recall in HS that corn syrup in the gas tank was something of a legendary revenge tactic for screwing up engine valves. No immediate gratification, no idea how truly effective it is. Can vouch for the efficacy of Liquid Steel in keyholes - mobile or stationary.

Trust you enjoyed The Monkey Wrench Gang, and if you haven't read it, do. Classic work.

Anecdotes are more fun - recall entering SF one morning by way of the Golden Gate on my 750 BMW Boxer...heading east on the elevated freeway past the old Palace of Fine Arts... stretch limo beside me does its best to crush me against the retaining wall...after locking it up to barely avoid getting killed or crippled for life, pulled up alongside and started railing at the chauffeur...electric window in the back rolls down and an ancient emaciated society crone slowly sticks her arm out the window and just as slowly overcomes her arthritis to extend her bony middle finger...instantly started laughing and dropped well back to follow....limo entered the Marina Safeway grocery lot a couple minutes later... watched from across the street as driver and crone hobbled into the store...crossed the street and literally ripped both plates off the vehicle then pitched them over the fence into the tunnel blocking the old trolley line under Fort Mason. To this day feel like they got off way too easy.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
What an odd thread this has become.

In the time it takes to sabotage a single valve cap, one can slice/puncture the valve stems on all four tires - quick as leaning down and snapping one's fingers. Just doing one requires no shielding and can be made to look no more suspicious than picking up a coin/piece of litter.

Recall in HS that corn syrup in the gas tank was something of a legendary revenge tactic for screwing up engine valves. No immediate gratification, no idea how truly effective it is. Can vouch for the efficacy of Liquid Steel in keyholes - mobile or stationary.

Trust you enjoyed The Monkey Wrench Gang, and if you haven't read it, do. Classic work.

Anecdotes are more fun - recall entering SF one morning by way of the Golden Gate on my 750 BMW Boxer...heading east on the elevated freeway past the old Palace of Fine Arts... stretch limo beside me does its best to crush me against the retaining wall...after locking it up to barely avoid getting killed or crippled for life, pulled up alongside and started railing at the chauffeur...electric window in the back rolls down and an ancient emaciated society crone slowly sticks her arm out the window and just as slowly overcomes her arthritis to extend her bony middle finger...instantly started laughing and dropped well back to follow....limo entered the Marina Safeway grocery lot a couple minutes later... watched from across the street as driver and crone hobbled into the store...crossed the street and literally ripped both plates off the vehicle then pitched them over the fence into the tunnel blocking the old trolley line under Fort Mason. To this day feel like they got off way too easy.
I worked hard for my cars and on my cars. I didn't like damaging other people's cars. I was a fan of the potato in the tailpipe.

When I was much younger, I was driving my red Ford Mustang at night during a blinding snow blizzard. I guess there had been an accident up ahead or something. All I could barely make out was a police officer up ahead directing traffic with a handheld torch-like flare. I don't know if I was supposed to stop, slow down, or just what. I honestly didn't know because it was so hard to see. Anyway, the next day I noticed the officer had held his flare against the side of my car as I drove by. I had a black burn streak the length of my car for the rest of its days.

Looking back, not literally then, but figuratively now, I should have sued his sorry ass. He was probably cold as hell and pissed he had to work late in such awful conditions on a Friday night. That's no excuse for property damage. I suspect Napoleon Complex may have been at play here, too.

I worked hard for my cars and on my cars. I didn't like damaging other people's cars. I was a fan of the potato in the tailpipe.
I worked hard at my life and the lives of others. I don't like idiots imperiling/being contemptuous of other people's lives. I don't give a shit about their toys.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT