ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas to the B10?

The Big 12 is toast. Once Texas and Oklahoma leave, the remaining schools are not powerful enough to garner attention. If the Big 10 is conservative, they move to add a couple of schools like Kansas from the middle of the country. If they go bold, they'll move on to the best Pac 12 schools like USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, and Washington. The travel can be figured out. Think about the TV money for a conference that goes coast to coast across all times zones. Power!

The Pac 12 has traditionally been a travel averse conference. UCLA particularly despises spending money on travel and has gone so far as requesting travel reimbursements from the PAC 12 after a game was cancelled when a ref tested positive for Covid on game day. They were still utilizing commercial flights as recently as the '19-'20 season.

If you go look at scheduling for the basketball teams, you'll see that the conference plays in regional pods. Road games strung together, much like an NBA coastal swing. A team will play Washington & Washington St on the road within days of each other. ASU/Arizona, USC/UCLA, Oregon/Oregon St, etc... are all scheduled as 3 or 4 day road trips. If they do that for a revenue sport, how would the non-rev sports work?

It would be interesting to see how the various schools would react to the possibility of extended travel requirements.
Maybe nonrev teams fend for themselves in other or more regional leagues. Football and b-ball go to national super conferences and the left handed sports do their own thing. Kentucky and South Carolina play soccer in conf USA. It already occurs

Reactions: hookyIU1990
KU does nothing for the B1G in terms of additional revenue just a drain on the average revenue each school gets now. What other multitude of reasons overcomes that.
I’m sorry but that’s nonsense. KU runs a heck of an AD that’s in the top 30 every year. The Football team is a joke but it wasn’t even 15 years ago they were winning Orange Bowls, none of this stuff is stagnant, look at IUFB. Plus they have a basketball fan base that’s even more rabid than ours if you want to talk about BTN eyeballs.

Your over simplification into “Big Markets” is idiot thinking. Is the SEC trying to capture the Norman, Oklahoma market?

Get bent.

Reactions: Seyton
Maybe nonrev teams fend for themselves in other or more regional leagues. Football and b-ball go to national super conferences and the left handed sports do their own thing. Kentucky and South Carolina play soccer in conf USA. It already occurs
I've said this for a long time: do whatever you're going to do with football and basketball to maximize revenues and ratings (four 16 team super-conferences seems to make sense: ACC, SEC, B10, PAC12?), but leave the non-revenue sports to more traditional regional conferences. There's no good reason to make cross country, track and golf teams jet across the country as it only depletes dollars, stresses real student athletes academically and makes it harder for their families to get to see them play/perform.

I’m sorry but that’s nonsense. KU runs a heck of an AD that’s in the top 30 every year. The Football team is a joke but it wasn’t even 15 years ago they were winning Orange Bowls, none of this stuff is stagnant, look at IUFB. Plus they have a basketball fan base that’s even more rabid than ours if you want to talk about BTN eyeballs.

Your over simplification into “Big Markets” is idiot thinking. Is the SEC trying to capture the Norman, Oklahoma market?

Get bent.
Norman OK? No. Texas, well, uh....

Plus OK gives them another program that can make the football playoffs which is a big revenue maker for the conference.

I've said this for a long time: do whatever you're going to do with football and basketball to maximize revenues and ratings (four 16 team super-conferences seems to make sense: ACC, SEC, B10, PAC12?), but leave the non-revenue sports to more traditional regional conferences. There's no good reason to make cross country, track and golf teams jet across the country as it only depletes dollars, stresses real student athletes academically and makes it harder for their families to get to see them play/perform.
agreed. and it really is like two separate athletic departments anyway

Norman OK? No. Texas, well, uh....

Plus OK gives them another program that can make the football playoffs which is a big revenue maker for the conference.
I was really taking exception with the oversimplification into, which schools are in large markets. Markets are only important insofar as they generate eyeballs. KU generates eyeballs, more so than UMass or some of the other silly suggestions in this thread. Rutgers is theoretically in the NYC market, but it's not like they're a major asset to to the B1G.

I was really taking exception with the oversimplification into, which schools are in large markets. Markets are only important insofar as they generate eyeballs. KU generates eyeballs, more so than UMass or some of the other silly suggestions in this thread. Rutgers is theoretically in the NYC market, but it's not like they're a major asset to to the B1G.

That’s only true to an extent … for example, people can scream all day that NYC doesn’t care about RU and DC doesn’t care about Maryland, but clearly the cable companies thought each had ENOUGH appeal (and, equally importantly, POTENTIAL appeal when they’re good) that they purchased BTN for basic cable. And that’s all the B1G needed for a giant payday and every one of our teams getting richer. Similarly, while there are clearly more Mizzou fans in St. Louis than Illini fans (probably a 3:1 split), that market isn’t a selling point for Mizzou because Illinois’ big-ENOUGH following in St. Louis already got BTN in the St. Louis market years ago.

Agreed, TV markets are a big part, but not the only part, as we both point out. OK might not provide much in the way of a new TV market, but they are a national and historical program in fball (bigger plus than bball), provide an opportunity at a fball playoff or bowl appearance, and generate interest/ratings with their rivalries. many of those don't apply with KU or are reduced because it's bball and not fball, and as you rightly point out, none really apply to Rutgers. Culling some members might be part of this realignment. Oregon for instance, would be a big upgrade over RU.

I look at the B1G busine$$ priorities being media market, quality schools, geographic and traditions of teams, makes going after ND the #1 target, Virginia 2nd. If there is to be 4 added the next 2 are less identifiable, clear and less attractive. Maybe Mo., KU, PITT, ISU, Cincy, Cuse. Maybe couple others. To throw a curve at the SEC and some tasty morsels to the Big12 and the PAC I like the thought of scheduling agreements for non-conference home and home contests. Throw the checkbook at ND. The return is for sure. The B1G doesn't have to be the SEC. Academics, geographic location and quality athletics have to be the standard. Go HOOSIERS!!

I don't have any confidence in the B1G here....I would expect some second tier programs to join the B1G, such as Ok St, and maybe Iowa State...multiplying the Nebraska effect. I think the B1G would focus on demographics, not $$...jmo. Besides...a move to the SEC might just backfire on Texas and OU in terms of program success. It would look like PSU in the B1G.

I don't have any confidence in the B1G here....I would expect some second tier programs to join the B1G, such as Ok St, and maybe Iowa State...multiplying the Nebraska effect. I think the B1G would focus on demographics, not $$...jmo.
Tbh, the options are limited. A PAC-12 school is a pipe dream. You're not likely to get a defector from the ACC or SEC. Notre Dame is already in deep with the ACC, if they join a conference, that will be it.

Kansas is a good cultural fit, with a good Athletic Department, and they are looking for an out. If we decide to make a move, they make sense.

I look at the B1G busine$$ priorities being media market, quality schools, geographic and traditions of teams, makes going after ND the #1 target, Virginia 2nd. If there is to be 4 added the next 2 are less identifiable, clear and less attractive. Maybe Mo., KU, PITT, ISU, Cincy, Cuse. Maybe couple others. To throw a curve at the SEC and some tasty morsels to the Big12 and the PAC I like the thought of scheduling agreements for non-conference home and home contests. Throw the checkbook at ND. The return is for sure. The B1G doesn't have to be the SEC. Academics, geographic location and quality athletics have to be the standard. Go HOOSIERS!!
Problem with Acc schools is the big contract they would have to get out of. I think ND is even included. The contract is like through 2035. Something insane. The PAC 12 and B1G are very close to the end of there’s. Big 12 too. I don’t buy that the B1G just starts throwing out offers like the SEC did. From reports they sent all the big boys invitations. I think the B1G will stick to their AAU mantra. The problem with having all those teams in the SEC is all the “Haves” will not be “Haves” anymore. I think Texas will be in trouble. Texas a&m too.

Reactions: RBB89
Tbh, the options are limited. A PAC-12 school is a pipe dream. You're not likely to get a defector from the ACC or SEC. Notre Dame is already in deep with the ACC, if they join a conference, that will be it.

Kansas is a good cultural fit, with a good Athletic Department, and they are looking for an out. If we decide to make a move, they make sense.
What is your definition of a good athletic department?

Clemson, FSU, A&M and Kansas - these are my ideal adds to the potentially updated B10. This won’t happen, but man would this be good if it did. Screw ND, we don’t need them.

I'm hearing Ohio State wants Indiana to go to the SEC with them for a guaranteed win in football. Big Ten is a picnic compared to an SEC schedule. Buckeyes need that W. Asa result, there is a bidding war for Indiana at the moment.

Excellent post.

Reactions: BayernFan
The PAC merging with the remnants of the BIG 12 could result in an 18-20 Team Conference. Absent that or a merger between the BIG 12 & Mountain West to create an 18-20 Team conference, the only thing that seems certain is that the BIG 12's days are numbered.
If the Big 12 brings on Houston and Memphis, they could survive intact.

Here is what I just wrote on the football forum. This is re the PAC and Big Ten. I think many people will agree.

That is definitely NOT one of the two choices you were offered. Reread what I wrote in the initial.

This is coming down to a metric shit-tonne of resolution. Whichever of the two conferences stands in victory will be the one who is most definitive in its articulation of deception and art. It’s knives out and I don’t give a rub to the Golden Gophers when you can look and expand into LOS ANGELES. Are you kidding me. Two legendary schools.

All these additions will only itself own its distinguished identity and add up to the perking of the Big Ten. We can do it even with Kevin Warren because WE - the Big Ten - swing the stick.

Kansas, West Virginia, N.D., Iowa State, Cincinnati, Louisville, Pitt, Baylor, TCU, Vandy, Clemson, N.Carolina, Virginia, UCLA, USC, Oregon, Oklahoma. St, Houston, Memphis.

• Wow
Reactions: Radio Zero
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT