ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas to the B10?

I’d like to see the Big Ten aim higher than the Big 12 leftovers.
Exactly. Most people I see commenting around the internet keep mentioning b12 scrubs as schools the b1g should take. Umm, hello! The reason ou and ut left is because those schools offer nothing. The b1g needs to acquire some top level schools from acc or pac if we want to keep up with the sec. Hard pass on the b12 scrubs.

What the ACC schools do would be interesting. I could see a Florida State and Miami wanting the SEC ties to get back to power house status in football.

I actually think Clemson might be hesitant about leaving the safety of their ACC dominance. And if dominoes started to fall, the B10 would be wise to push hard for them.

If the Florida ACC schools do crack…B10 would/should go hard after ND and Clemson.

Exactly. Most people I see commenting around the internet keep mentioning b12 scrubs as schools the b1g should take. Umm, hello! The reason ou and ut left is because those schools offer nothing. The b1g needs to acquire some top level schools from acc or pac if we want to keep up with the sec. Hard pass on the b12 scrubs.
Agreed. ND and/or Clemson should be the targets. Then maybe UNC and/or Louisville. F the PAC 12.

Agreed. ND and/or Clemson should be the targets. Then maybe UNC and/or Louisville. F the PAC 12.
My top targets would be fsu, ucla, usc, Oregon, unc, clemson, Virginia. Not sure how realistic any are at this point. IMO Louisville is a complete and utter disgrace and I would be beyond disappointed if they were ever in the b1g.

Article focus is football, which won't cause much of a stir. Basketball, though, might make it interesting...

Personally I think adding a second Marquee basketball program would be a win. I know they don’t bring much in other sports but IU and KU together is a big win for the BIG.

Personally I think adding a second Marquee basketball program would be a win. I know they don’t bring much in other sports but IU and KU together is a big win for the BIG.
UCLA, Virginia, go after Texas, NO to Notre Dame unless they are full participants. Maybe take a look at Vanderbilt (Nashville market) and GTech (Atlanta). Just don't settle, B1G. Oh, I have zero confidnce in Kevin Warren.

Notwithstanding fantasies about Pac-10 defections ,unless they poach someone from the ACC (unlikely), seems that's as good as it gets...

Thinking the Texas "leftovers" (and/or OSU) would have at least as much allure in some respects as KU.

UCLA, Virginia, go after Texas, NO to Notre Dame unless they are full participants. Maybe take a look at Vanderbilt (Nashville market) and GTech (Atlanta). Just don't settle, B1G. Oh, I have zero confidnce in Kevin Warren.
I don't see an advantage in UCLA at all, TX is solid FB and Baseball but too far and culturally not a fit for the market. I like ND a lot but only all sports.

The schools that would potentially add the most revenue to each BIG school would be USC and UCLA, ND had a chance in the BIG and rejected it. Clemson isn't a fit academics wise.

UNC makes some sense, Clemson is obviously hot right now but if their FB fades much thay don't deliver much from a market standpoint. Clemson is also soft academically. Louisville is a disgrace we don;t need another Penn State risk. ND is the right fit. A mistake was made when we brought in Neb as opposed to Mizzou. Mizzou delivers more market and academics are better than Neb.

Reactions: Seyton and 76-1
UNC makes some sense, Clemson is obviously hot right now but if their FB fades much thay don't deliver much from a market standpoint. Clemson is also soft academically. Louisville is a disgrace we don;t need another Penn State risk. ND is the right fit. A mistake was made when we brought in Neb as opposed to Mizzou. Mizzou delivers more market and academics are better than Neb.
The ACC isn't going to lose anybody any time soon....if they did, it would be Pitt or Syracuse, or both, imo...especially Pitt, who would be a natural fit in the B1G.

Reactions: Seyton
So kick Purdue out of the B1G.

I agree ..

What the ACC schools do would be interesting. I could see a Florida State and Miami wanting the SEC ties to get back to power house status in football.

I actually think Clemson might be hesitant about leaving the safety of their ACC dominance. And if dominoes started to fall, the B10 would be wise to push hard for them.

If the Florida ACC schools do crack…B10 would/should go hard after ND and Clemson.
ND football is not in a conference, correct? They have enough name recognition to sign their own media deals, therefore they do not share with the rest of the conference.
What if Ohio State signs an independent deal and withdraws from the big ten?

Oregon, Washington, Stanford, USC or UCLA. All better than Kansas and the B12 leftovers plus they bring new tv markets to the B1G which leads to increased revenue. PAC12 is a mess and revenue is lacking due to poor contracts.
I can’t see how a basketball season schedule would work having to fly out to west coast for a mid week game. Imagine being Rutgers? The kids will be crisscrossing the country and still required to go to school?

I can’t see how a basketball season schedule would work having to fly out to west coast for a mid week game. Imagine being Rutgers? The kids will be crisscrossing the country and still required to go to school?
We’re talking about real scholar-athletes here. I’m sure they will be able to keep up just fine with their Latin and economics majors coursework.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
The BIG answer to UT and OU to the SEC isn't scrubs, but schools from big media markets that would also pass muster with the university presidents approving - hence the only targets that offer that combo, in my opinion, are USC and UCLA. The travel issues for existing BIG teams are actually pretty meaningless, a football game trip or two out west for several teams. A lot of the players may actually want to go to CA once a year (I wouldn't). both schools offer multiple high quality teams in a variety of sports, both are academically solid and both would improve their revenue potential.

Having said this the likelihood of Warren/Alvarez going hard after them is slim to none. Also, if the SEC looking to poach tOSU and UM then it will take a lot of effort to keep them in the fold. I think Michigan though would look down on the SEC academics and not want to associated with them because of that. OSU not so much.

The BIG answer to UT and OU to the SEC isn't scrubs, but schools from big media markets that would also pass muster with the university presidents approving - hence the only targets that offer that combo, in my opinion, are USC and UCLA. The travel issues for existing BIG teams are actually pretty meaningless, a football game trip or two out west for several teams. A lot of the players may actually want to go to CA once a year (I wouldn't). both schools offer multiple high quality teams in a variety of sports, both are academically solid and both would improve their revenue potential.

Having said this the likelihood of Warren/Alvarez going hard after them is slim to none. Also, if the SEC looking to poach tOSU and UM then it will take a lot of effort to keep them in the fold. I think Michigan though would look down on the SEC academics and not want to associated with them because of that. OSU not so much.
24 sports...24 trips. That one is a loser.

ND football is not in a conference, correct? They have enough name recognition to sign their own media deals, therefore they do not share with the rest of the conference.
What if Ohio State signs an independent deal and withdraws from the big ten?
ND will join the ACC sooner rather than later. 5 games a year already, the writing is in the wall.

The Pac 12 has traditionally been a travel averse conference. UCLA particularly despises spending money on travel and has gone so far as requesting travel reimbursements from the PAC 12 after a game was cancelled when a ref tested positive for Covid on game day. They were still utilizing commercial flights as recently as the '19-'20 season.

If you go look at scheduling for the basketball teams, you'll see that the conference plays in regional pods. Road games strung together, much like an NBA coastal swing. A team will play Washington & Washington St on the road within days of each other. ASU/Arizona, USC/UCLA, Oregon/Oregon St, etc... are all scheduled as 3 or 4 day road trips. If they do that for a revenue sport, how would the non-rev sports work?

It would be interesting to see how the various schools would react to the possibility of extended travel requirements.

It's official, TX and OU on the way out.

If the B1G is going to make a corresponding move, I think Kansas makes the most sense for a multitude of reasons.

Reactions: 76-1
It's official, TX and OU on the way out.

If the B1G is going to make a corresponding move, I think Kansas makes the most sense for a multitude of reasons.
KU does nothing for the B1G in terms of additional revenue just a drain on the average revenue each school gets now. What other multitude of reasons overcomes that.

KU does nothing for the B1G in terms of additional revenue just a drain on the average revenue each school gets now. What other multitude of reasons overcomes that.
Maybe Kansas Basketball Classics will completely replace Rutger Basketball "Classics" on BTN. That alone has merits in my opinion.

The Rutger AIAW championship from '82 or the Penn State at Rutger in 89 games aren't compelling TV. That's gotta be some lean programming options.

• Haha
Reactions: Radio Zero
Maybe Kansas Basketball Classics will completely replace Rutger Basketball "Classics" on BTN. That alone has merits in my opinion.

The Rutger AIAW championship from '82 or the Penn State at Rutger in 89 games aren't compelling TV. That's gotta be some lean programming options.
How many more BTN watchers will there be from the 37th largest market in the US? And of course there will be those high ratings for KU football games too right?

How many more BTN watchers will there be from the 37th largest market in the US? And of course there will be those high ratings for KU football games too right?
I don't care as long as it get's me less Rutger basketball programming. ;)

With that said, KU is more likely than a Pac 12 school in a larger market. I'm afraid the B1G is big trouble with this realignment.

Reactions: IUgradman

This is what Colin Cowherd was saying on his radio show last week. He thought that if OU and Texas go to the SEC, the B1G should do everything in it's power to get ND and Clemson under their wing.

As an aside, a friend and I were talking about some other schools starting another Big East-type basketball power conference. Maybe schools like UNC, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and maybe even IU do that. Maybe throw in a Cincinnati or Purdue or something like that.

Maybe Kentucky and IU would be stupid to leave the SEC and B1G respectively, but I think it'd be a heckuva basketball conference.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
This is what Colin Cowherd was saying on his radio show last week. He thought that if OU and Texas go to the SEC, the B1G should do everything in it's power to get ND and Clemson under their wing.

As an aside, a friend and I were talking about some other schools starting another Big East-type basketball power conference. Maybe schools like UNC, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and maybe even IU do that. Maybe throw in a Cincinnati or Purdue or something like that.

Maybe Kentucky and IU would be stupid to leave the SEC and B1G respectively, but I think it'd be a heckuva basketball conference.
It would be a heckuva basketball conference. I think you can't overcome the football money in this via hoops though.

Article focus is football, which won't cause much of a stir. Basketball, though, might make it interesting...

I've been interneting it today and have seen three distinct rumors making the rounds. First, KU & ISU to the BT; second, two former Bight 12 schools, presumably KU & ISU + 4 Pac 12 schools--USC, Colorado, Washington, Oregon (this one because UCLA can't politically leave Cal, and Stanford too PC), and third, six PAC schools---those 4 + UCLA & Stanford.

OK State is not being mentioned as a 2nd Big 12 team due to academic standing.

I am surprised at ISU being mentioned so much, but I could see it if #2 or 3 happen.....can't see it as KU + ISU only.

I have seen no internet rumors to the effect that Big 10 will stay at 14.

For those interested in this, the Kansas 247 site is a hot mess of rumors. You can start on page 112, because I've brought you up to date.

Last edited:
I've been interneting it today and have seen three distinct rumors making the rounds. First, KU & ISU to the BT; second, two former Bight 12 schools, presumably KU & ISU + 4 Pac 12 schools--USC, Colorado, Washington, Oregon (this one because UCLA can't politically leave Cal, and Stanford too PC), and third, six PAC schools---those 4 + UCLA & Stanford.

OK State is not being mentioned as a 2nd Big 12 team due to academic standing.

I am surprised at ISU being mentioned so much, but I could see it if #2 or 3 happen.....can't see it as KU + ISU only.

I have seen no internet rumors to the effect that Big 10 will stay at 14.

For those interested in this, the Kansas 247 site is a hot mess of rumors. You can start on page 112, because I've brought you up to date.

Some of the dynamics here--

ISU, KU, & WV have refused to extend the current Big 12 GOR past 2025, indicating they have other options to explore. As an example, WV to the ACC is seen as a possibility.

OK State was willing to sign, as were 4 other schools.....they have to keep as least 6 together to enforce the withdraw penalties. Now, refusing to extend the GOR is not = to leaving the Big 12, but its a signal.

The PAC 12 is really weak now because the PAC 12 network has not taken off. Some PAC 12 teams also want to get on other TV more, which means more games in the Central & Eastern time zones.

The Big 10 & PAC 12 FOX & ESPN contracts expire in 2023. FOX is reportedly wanting Big 10 expansion to be in a better position v. ESPN if FOX gets the Big 10 contract in '23 (likely, as ESPN is busy with SEC & ACC & has less $ due to shrinking audience).

There is some thought the PAC 12 could expand to 14 by adding ISU, KU, TT & TCU to hold off the Big 10, but the PAC 12 has a rookie commissioner & powers like USC & Washington wouldn't be thrilled by that lineup.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
The PAC merging with the remnants of the BIG 12 could result in an 18-20 Team Conference. Absent that or a merger between the BIG 12 & Mountain West to create an 18-20 Team conference, the only thing that seems certain is that the BIG 12's days are numbered.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT