ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas to Big 10? (link)

The Big Ten has the B1G one, Ohio State.

B1G West > W/L record, when remove OSU games.

Purdue ironically has last win over Buckeyes in 2018 in B1G play. Another B1G West program got one in 2017.

Who is next team to take the B1G flagship program down inside the Big Ten?
Indiana has an excellent chance to nail their asses this fall. 👌

Purdue ironically has last win over Buckeyes in 2018 in B1G play. Another B1G West program got one in 2017.

Well hell, let's not count Wisconsin & Northwestern either, then Iowa wins the B1G West every year. If we don't count OSU, then PSU rolls the West every year instead of OSU.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye

Had IU scored more points than Ole Miss, we would have won the Outback Bowl.

GTFO with that nonsense, your padded bra and crocodile feet.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I don't get it why the B1G has to expand just because the SEC is. So they pass us in total revenue. Big deal, nobody's gonna die. How much money does a college football conference need? Has everyone forgotten how things worked out for the WAC when they went to 16 teams years ago? Nobody was happy. I say stay at a comfortable 14 teams.

I don't get it why the B1G has to expand just because the SEC is. So they pass us in total revenue. Big deal, nobody's gonna die. How much money does a college football conference need? Has everyone forgotten how things worked out for the WAC when they went to 16 teams years ago? Nobody was happy. I say stay at a comfortable 14 teams.
Because if we don’t expand during this round of conference realignment, we’ll be poorly prepared to expand in the *following* round.

Reactions: vesuvius13

They don't.

It will be interesting to see how many conference games will be played annually, with SEC and ACC only playing 8, and if divisions remain in Big Ten Football.

You can’t be serious. How do you want this to end? We’re looking at a future where it’s either going to be, say, The University of Texas Presents Indiana University, or Indiana University of Texas.

Choose.

EDIT. More juice.

Last edited:
You can’t be serious. How do you want this to end? We’re looking at a future where it’s either going to be, say, The University of Texas Presents Indiana University, or Indiana University of Texas.

Choose.

EDIT. More juice.
How do I want this to end? With a manageable sized conference. Remember how people bitched when we had to schedule Rutgers. Ugh, Rutgers. Most people didn't know where that school was located. So now you want Kansas, Iowa State or West Virginia on our schedule? As is, we only get to play our traditional B1G rivals now in the west less than half as much than we used to. When we had 10 or 11 teams, IU didn't play 2 teams for 2 years and then another pair of teams rotated off the schedule. Oh boy! I can't wait to play the Kansas Wheaties, the ISU Cornies or the WVU Hillbillies instead of Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, NU or Wisconsin!

I don't think the SEC will go beyond 16 because the schools in the conference will not want it any more cumbersome. The only reason the SEC went to 16 was Texas and OK. No 2 other schools bring to the table what those 2 do. They wouldn't do this for any other 2 schools and neither should we. And forget about raiding the PAC. They're the B1G's buddy and they're too far away.

How do I want this to end? With a manageable sized conference. Remember how people bitched when we had to schedule Rutgers. Ugh, Rutgers. Most people didn't know where that school was located. So now you want Kansas, Iowa State or West Virginia on our schedule? As is, we only get to play our traditional B1G rivals now in the west less than half as much than we used to. When we had 10 or 11 teams, IU didn't play 2 teams for 2 years and then another pair of teams rotated off the schedule. Oh boy! I can't wait to play the Kansas Wheaties, the ISU Cornies or the WVU Hillbillies instead of Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, NU or Wisconsin!

I don't think the SEC will go beyond 16 because the schools in the conference will not want it any more cumbersome. The only reason the SEC went to 16 was Texas and OK. No 2 other schools bring to the table what those 2 do. They wouldn't do this for any other 2 schools and neither should we. And forget about raiding the PAC. They're the B1G's buddy and they're too far away.
That is definitely NOT one of the two choices you were offered. Reread what I wrote in the initial.

This is coming down to a metric shit-tonne of resolution. Whichever of the two conferences stands in victory will be the one who is most definitive in its articulation of deception and art. It’s knives out and I don’t give a rub to the Golden Gophers when you can look and expand into LOS ANGELES. Are you kidding me. Two legendary schools.

All these additions will only itself own its distinguished identity and add up to the perking of the Big Ten. We can do it even with Kevin Warren because WE - the Big Ten - swing the stick.

A celebrity tag such as that means jack.

That is definitely NOT one of the two choices you were offered. Reread what I wrote in the initial.

This is coming down to a metric shit-tonne of resolution. Whichever of the two conferences stands in victory will be the one who is most definitive in its articulation of deception and art. It’s knives out and I don’t give a rub to the Golden Gophers when you can look and expand into LOS ANGELES. Are you kidding me. Two legendary schools.

All these additions will only itself own its distinguished identity and add up to the perking of the Big Ten. We can do it even with Kevin Warren because WE - the Big Ten - swing the stick.

A celebrity tag such as that means jack.
The B1G would be bringing in the hardware. AAU schools to boot. B1G championship in Indy and the Rose bowl. It would be Jedi vs. Sith. Crazy amounts of money. Oh and Warren sucks.

I hope the SEC and ACC join the Pac 12 and B1G playing 9 conference games, but I also remember the times in the 1980s, when the B1G played 8 or even 9, and SEC played 7.

Unless Notre Dame is expanding more sports as a B1G hockey school, I don't see B1G expansion coming from the Big 8/12 whatever it becomes, if Oklahoma and Texas bolt.

Will we see divisions devolve with an expanded playoff?

Go B1G!

The Big 10 and PAC should just merge and create a nationwide Coast to Coast superconference. Adding schools like Kansas and ISU don't move the needle at all.

Not sure you have to merge?

The ACC, Big Ten and Pac 12 are in good positions.

The SEC is a regional conference. Texas and Oklahoma are not out Mountain or Pacific times zones.

It was interesting hearing former Alabama basketball coach Wimp Sanderson share his comments on Texas and Oklahoma in the SEC.

Is Oklahoma going to see a Nebraska like entry?

Texas A&M hasn't won an SEC title yet. Will 2021 be their first?

Texas is a great brand with a bad team lately.

Wimp Sanderson shared, those are the kind of teams you want to play.

Reminds me of the hype the Oregon bowl win had on the Iowa State program.

A 3 loss team in 2020 is a strong CFP prospect?

They were a two loss program in the conversation last year.

Odd 2020-21 with pandemic and all going on in College Football.

Not sure you have to merge?

The ACC, Big Ten and Pac 12 are in good positions.

The SEC is a regional conference. Texas and Oklahoma are not out Mountain or Pacific times zones.

It was interesting hearing former Alabama basketball coach Wimp Sanderson share his comments on Texas and Oklahoma in the SEC.

Is Oklahoma going to see a Nebraska like entry?

Texas A&M hasn't won an SEC title yet. Will 2021 be their first?

Texas is a great brand with a bad team lately.

Wimp Sanderson shared, those are the kind of teams you want to play.

Reminds me of the hype the Oregon bowl win had on the Iowa State program.

A 3 loss team in 2020 is a strong CFP prospect?

They were a two loss program in the conversation last year.

Odd 2020-21 with pandemic and all going on in College Football.
That's the advantage of merging the BIG and PAC conferences. The SEC stays a regional conference with schools mostly in the Southeast. BIG PAC merger becomes a nationwide conference with bigger better matchups all across the country. You could get some premier games like OSU vs. USC on a regular basis.

The BT may be interested in Kansas, but there is no obvious 16th team available (MO & ND are not practical at this point).

For some time, I've considered Colorado to be a possibility. 36000 students, pretty good academically. A new TV market. They can't be happy with the Pac 12 $ they're getting. Also no natural rivals in the P12. They probably would not come if offered, however, because of demographics and culture.

There have been recent rumors concerning Iowa St. I never considered ISU as a real candidate before because it adds no TV market. However, the focus on markets is changing as technology changes. Things like fan base, rivalries, and fit look to be more important than 10 years ago. Along these lines, see the article below.

Edit: Here are some ISU facts to consider: 33400 students, #118 US News. Pretty highly regarded in AG, the hard sciences, engineering. 61500 football stadium that dates to '75. 14500 basketball stadium that dates to '71. Iowa-ISU football---45-22 Iowa all-time. Iowa basketball---46-28 Iowa all-time.

I doubt anything happens till '24, when tv contracts expire for the Pac 12 & BT....it will be interesting to see if the BT adds Kansas and Col/ISU in a couple of years. Right now, I would think the BT would like to see TX & OK have to pay to get of the BT. If the Big 8 dissolves too quickly, that won't happen.

Last edited:
With this alliance and everything about it being centered around an agreement between gentlemen with no need for a contract, there's no way anyone poaches a Pac 12 school. I don't know about a B12 school, but assume that's a touchy subject at this point too.

Reactions: mobilehoosier
The BT may be interested in Kansas, but there is no obvious 16th team available (MO & ND are not practical at this point).

For some time, I've considered Colorado to be a possibility. 36000 students, pretty good academically. A new TV market. They can't be happy with the Pac 12 $ they're getting. Also no natural rivals in the P12. They probably would not come if offered, however, because of demographics and culture.

There have been recent rumors concerning Iowa St. I never considered ISU as a real candidate before because it adds no TV market. However, the focus on markets is changing as technology changes. Things like fan base, rivalries, and fit look to be more important than 10 years ago. Along these lines, see the article below.

Edit: Here are some ISU facts to consider: 33400 students, #118 US News. Pretty highly regarded in AG, the hard sciences, engineering. 61500 football stadium that dates to '75. 14500 basketball stadium that dates to '71. Iowa-ISU football---45-22 Iowa all-time. Iowa basketball---46-28 Iowa all-time.

I doubt anything happens till '24, when tv contracts expire for the Pac 12 & BT....it will be interesting to see if the BT adds Kansas and Col/ISU in a couple of years. Right now, I would think the BT would like to see TX & OK have to pay to get of the BT. If the Big 8 dissolves too quickly, that won't happen.

With regard to this post, see the link below. Now I know Dave W. played too much football without a helmet, but he does have FOX & BT connections.

With regard to this post, see the link below. Now I know Dave W. played too much football without a helmet, but he does have FOX & BT connections.

Here are some factors to consider about the BT's situation as it relates to these schools and possible expansion--

--Things certainly appear to be moving toward 4 power leagues of 16 teams each

--Missouri & ND would be the best BIg 10 expansion candidates. Both are off the table, as is the ACC.

--FOX will probably end up with the Pac 12 & BT TV contracts when they expire in '24. They will be interested in inventory.

--I'm too old to fully 'get' streaming, but apparently it is the wave of the future. That makes teams with large fan bases (ie...KU basketball, ISU) are relatively more important, and media-centered schools like RU & MD relatively less important. Also, there is talk of an increased interest in rivalries both in terms of streaming and in fan attendance, which is getting to be a big concern nationally. In the BT, fan attendance at Maryland, RU, IU, Purdue, NW, Illinois & Minnesota is a concern.

--With the possible demise of the NCAA as we know it, basketball brands (KU, and to a far lesser extent ISU) will be relatively more important, as the NCAA controls the basketball $ right now, not the conferences or schools.

--The present BT expansion candidates are not as highly rated academically as were MD & RU, but they are not chopped liver. As I recall, KU is at 104, Colorado 103, ISU 118 (could be a little off there). Missouri is at 124, Nebraska at 133, for comparison. Size-wise, Kansas is about 26000 students, Colorado 36000, ISU 34000, Nebraska 26000, Missouri 34000.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I have yet to see one persuasive argument for adding Kansas and ISU to the B1G Conference.

Yes, they have AAU membership but neither school's football program (and I don't expect Campbell to stay in Ames much longer) adds any value in terms of the B1G's next TV contract for football--which FAR overshadows KU's elite BB status.

I think it's pretty clear Commissioner Alvarez, er, Warren doesn't want to add any school unless 1) it's an AAU member AND 2) adding it would increase the B1G's overall "football value" in the eyes of Fox, ESPN, etc. Neither of these schools being added accomplishes #2.

Adding KU helps w/ BB, yes, but the B1G is already in great shape there, and THAT'S NOT WHERE THE BIG MONEY IS. Heck, adding ISU would also help with wrestling, but again the B1G is already in great shape there too and NO MONEY IS THERE AT ALL.

Still have to think the Pac-12 would be more promising since 1) their current TV contract is weak in terms of $$ and 2) it expires much sooner than the ACC's current contract does. No shortage of AAU members out there, including a number whose addition would be far more attractive to Fox, ESPN, Apple, Amazon, etc., than the addition of Kansas and Iowa State. The fact that adding Pac-12 schools would be logistically and geographically dubious at best is IMO irrelevant at this point in time. Kinda like the fact that Clemson and Florida State are ACC members.....at this point in time.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I have yet to see one persuasive argument for adding Kansas and ISU to the B1G Conference.

Yes, they have AAU membership but neither school's football program (and I don't expect Campbell to stay in Ames much longer) adds any value in terms of the B1G's next TV contract for football--which FAR overshadows KU's elite BB status.

I think it's pretty clear Commissioner Alvarez, er, Warren doesn't want to add any school unless 1) it's an AAU member AND 2) adding it would increase the B1G's overall "football value" in the eyes of Fox, ESPN, etc. Neither of these schools being added accomplishes #2.

Adding KU helps w/ BB, yes, but the B1G is already in great shape there, and THAT'S NOT WHERE THE BIG MONEY IS. Heck, adding ISU would also help with wrestling, but again the B1G is already in great shape there too and NO MONEY IS THERE AT ALL.

Still have to think the Pac-12 would be more promising since 1) their current TV contract is weak in terms of $$ and 2) it expires much sooner than the ACC's current contract does. No shortage of AAU members out there, including a number whose addition would be far more attractive to Fox, ESPN, Apple, Amazon, etc., than the addition of Kansas and Iowa State. The fact that adding Pac-12 schools would be logistically and geographically dubious at best is IMO irrelevant at this point in time. Kinda like the fact that Clemson and Florida State are ACC members.....at this point in time.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
That may all be true..., but..., count me in with the guys who want to see purdue Forced to move to the East... That would be a hilarious gift that would keep on giving... 😉😎

That may all be true..., but..., count me in with the guys who want to see purdue Forced to move to the East... That would be a hilarious gift that would keep on giving... 😉😎
I guess one way to do that would be to give the proverbial middle digit to the SEC by going scorched-earth and adding 10 (!) PAC and ACC teams to form a mega-conference. Have to break some existing TV contracts but IMO the one the ACC has (through 2036 IIRC) is potentially unenforceable anyway and the PAC's expires I believe in 2024.

So the 4 "quadrants" or "pods" or "vestibules" or "ham sandwiches" or whatever you want to call them could be:

1) EAST: Rutgers, Maryland, UVA, UNC, Duke, Ga Tech

2) MIDEAST: PSU, OSU, UM, MSU, IU, Purdoo

3) MIDWEST: UI, NW, Wisc, Minn, Iowa, Nebraska

4) WEST: USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, & 2 schools from group of Colo, Utah, Oregon, Washington

I guess the schedules could be set up so each school played its 5 other "division" co-members plus one home and one away game vs 2 schools from each of the 3 other "divisions" to total 11 conference games per season. Or a watered-down version of that arrangement w/ less conference games and more OOC games (if there's anyone left to play outside of conference).

Highly unlikely it could all be pulled off (especially under some of the current conference "leaders") but it would get my interest much more than the prospect of adding Kansas and Iowa State.

Reactions: 76-1
Big Ten and Pac 12 will remain separate.
  • 8 B1G games, likely no divisions
  • 9th Champions week to close season?
  • ACC match up
  • Pac 12 match up
12 team Playoff with 5 automatic births from conference champions. 7 at-large births?

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Big Ten and Pac 12 will remain separate.
  • 8 B1G games, likely no divisions
  • 9th Champions week to close season?
  • ACC match up
  • Pac 12 match up
12 team Playoff with 5 automatic births from conference champions. 7 at-large births?

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
There are only four conferences.

ADVERTISEMENT