ADVERTISEMENT

Kane Wommack's the New DC

Coach Allen once again shows he is willing to change things to make IU more competitive in the B1G. The past two years he has made changes in the staff and like anyone else everything doesn't work the way you want but he isn't afraid to try changing things.

I'm grateful Allen said he will still be heavily involved. Color me un-impressed with the LB play last year totally. IDC if we we played youth I've seen young LB's who have a nose for the ball make a big difference. The LB play last year was horrible, cost us the minny game and others. Our LB's especially against the run made reads that left me shaking my head. Its like they ran into a pile while the ball carrier just waltzed around them. On pass plays especially minny, answer me this, how many times did we get burnt on the slant? uggghhh. I mean our offense is not bad the the defense last year killed us.

I'm grateful Allen said he will still be heavily involved. Color me un-impressed with the LB play last year totally. IDC if we we played youth I've seen young LB's who have a nose for the ball make a big difference. The LB play last year was horrible, cost us the minny game and others. Our LB's especially against the run made reads that left me shaking my head. Its like they ran into a pile while the ball carrier just waltzed around them. On pass plays especially minny, answer me this, how many times did we get burnt on the slant? uggghhh. I mean our offense is not bad the the defense last year killed us.

They were all Freshman!

And Wommack was a really good DC before he came to IU. Read his resume.

I really don't know how I feel about this one. His past DC experience is nothing like working with a power five school and I am surprised Hagen didn't get the gig (he has been at PU, IU , A&M). That said, I will wait and see how we look next year. Let's hope this turns out to be a great move.

Reactions: vesuvius13
They were all Freshman!

And Wommack was a really good DC before he came to IU. Read his resume.
Jones, Willis, Roof, and Ball were not freshman. Go watch a tape of any game last year and watch the LB reads. ugggghhhh. JMHO The jury is out and we'll see how Wommack calls the defense next year. We need ALOT of improvement on that side of the ball.

Jones, Willis, Roof, and Ball were not freshman. Go watch a tape of any game last year and watch the LB reads. ugggghhhh. JMHO The jury is out and we'll see how Wommack calls the defense next year. We need ALOT of improvement on that side of the ball.

Ball is a Husky. Roof is always hurt. Jones and Willis are converted RBs.

There are a lot of moving parts. It starts on the line, if they are not effective that puts more pressure on the linebackers, then if they are not effective that puts more pressure on the safeties. We played a lot of young guys, they will get better.

That’s funny ... have 2 4 star quarterbacks and you want to run the triple option

I don’t know about their offensive system but that coach....Jeff Monken is off the charts. They beat the tar out of Houston in their bowl. Some coaches just have “it.”
Now granted, they don’t play a stellar schedule but within the context of who they compete against, the guy kills it.

That’s funny ... have 2 4 star quarterbacks and you want to run the triple option
By all means lets try and beat Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State,
Michigan State at their own game. How has that worked out
over the past half century?

I don’t know about their offensive system but that coach....Jeff Monken is off the charts. They beat the tar out of Houston in their bowl. Some coaches just have “it.”
Now granted, they don’t play a stellar schedule but within the context of who they compete against, the guy kills it.

Monken learned the offense at Georgia Southern under Paul Johnson. It is tailor made for an academy team where everyone is by nature willing to give himself up for his teammates without any attached glory. Most high P5 recruits don't want to make those kinds of sacrifices and most fan bases aren't smart enough to accept the offense. I think Jeff Monken is a very good coach, but his current situation matches him perfectly. I'm not sure he's proven he has "it".

Monken learned the offense at Georgia Southern under Paul Johnson. It is tailor made for an academy team where everyone is by nature willing to give himself up for his teammates without any attached glory. Most high P5 recruits don't want to make those kinds of sacrifices and most fan bases aren't smart enough to accept the offense. I think Jeff Monken is a very good coach, but his current situation matches him perfectly. I'm not sure he's proven he has "it".
I agree Monken has done an incredible job at Army. Paul Johnson has some success early at Tech but teams in conference get used to seeing the offense and is able to slow it down. Also it is tough to find those types of quarterbacks year in and year put

Going triple option is only going to widen the gap with OSU, Mich, PSU. Competent defenses with elite talent curb stomp even good triple option offenses. Triple option is really only an advantage against average or below defenses. For IU, it could be a viable path to being a consistent bowl team due fewer losses against mediocre teams (like Minny and Purdue this year), but would also mean more blowouts against OSU, Mich, PSU etc

Triple option is only an argument if the only goal is to become a consistent bowl team. But if the goal is to get some wins against top teams, triple option is a step in the wrong direction

Going triple option is only going to widen the gap with OSU, Mich, PSU. Competent defenses with elite talent curb stomp even good triple option offenses. Triple option is really only an advantage against average or below defenses. For IU, it could be a viable path to being a consistent bowl team due fewer losses against mediocre teams (like Minny and Purdue this year), but would also mean more blowouts against OSU, Mich, PSU etc

Triple option is only an argument if the only goal is to become a consistent bowl team. But if the goal is to get some wins against top teams, triple option is a step in the wrong direction
We would not compete doing the triple option and I feel we need to go the route of Iowa and UW and be a power running team with a good QB who can make plays down the field with his arm.

They are a triple option team.

I probably misstated that. I knew they ran the triple option under Monken. I guess my point was regardless of what system they run, the guy is a hell of a coach. Now, the question is:

Have Jeff Monken as a HC and bring in a OC who runs a spread or Pro set. Can he excel at other offensive schemes? I think he could adapt. Maybe not.

I've pointed out Wisconsin and Iowa's recruiting to this board over and over. They DO NOT recruit at an appreciably higher rate than the last few IU classes. I looked at the star ratings of their offensive linemen coming out of high school, and I'm telling you, they trot out 2*/3* kids.

WI & IA are superb developmental programs. Their results speak to their developmental excellence. They work to establish the running game at ALL costs, and to me, that allows them to field a tremendous ball control offense. Once they get a lead on you, they typically do not squander it.

When you play against them, you know right away what their identity is and what they'll be trying to do. I once attended an IU/WI game during the Lynch tenure and 23 out of the first 25 plays of offense that Wisconsin ran, were all rushing plays.

What's our identity? We don't have to lean on the run to the extent they do to win games, but IU absolutely needs to DEVELOP their linemen in a similar manner.

I've pointed out Wisconsin and Iowa's recruiting to this board over and over. They DO NOT recruit at an appreciably higher rate than the last few IU classes. I looked at the star ratings of their offensive linemen coming out of high school, and I'm telling you, they trot out 2*/3* kids.

WI & IA are superb developmental programs. Their results speak to their developmental excellence. They work to establish the running game at ALL costs, and to me, that allows them to field a tremendous ball control offense. Once they get a lead on you, they typically do not squander it.

When you play against them, you know right away what their identity is and what they'll be trying to do. I once attended an IU/WI game during the Lynch tenure and 23 out of the first 25 plays of offense that Wisconsin ran, were all rushing plays.

What's our identity? We don't have to lean on the run to the extent they do to win games, but IU absolutely needs to DEVELOP their linemen in a similar manner.
Maybe I am missing something didn’t we just graduate two first team All America offensive linemen?

Reactions: IUCol
Maybe I am missing something didn’t we just graduate two first team All America offensive linemen?
You mean back in 2015 and 2016 with Spriggs and Feeney? They were great Hoosiers and led us to bowl games but I think you know what I'm getting at regarding Iowa's player development.

If we can build our linemen in a similar manner, it would mean bowl game city.

You mean back in 2015 and 2016 with Spriggs and Feeney? They were great Hoosiers and led us to bowl games but I think you know what I'm getting at regarding Iowa's player development.

I believe Martin and Linder will be invited to NFL camp as well Knight and Cronk.

Last edited:
Well we have had a better offense than the big 3 of the big what....2 out of the last 5 or 6 years? Fix the defense we beat them those years... system should match the talent.

Are you saying offensive line was the reason we missed a bowl this year?

Part of this is where they draw their linemen from. Minnesota and northern states where they grow ‘em big and strong. We get kids from the Midwest (Illinois, Indiana, Ohio) and they don’t compare. The 3-star kids up there are likely 4 star kids in other states.

Are you saying offensive line was the reason we missed a bowl this year?
No, I really liked our oline this year. I thought they played pretty well, even though they were dogged by this board. The one game I thought they stunk up the joint was against MSU, just were not physical that night.

Part of this is where they draw their linemen from. Minnesota and northern states where they grow ‘em big and strong. We get kids from the Midwest (Illinois, Indiana, Ohio) and they don’t compare. The 3-star kids up there are likely 4 star kids in other states.
Why is that?

3 things that Iowa and Wisconsin have that we don't yet have.

1. All American O-lineman.
2. All American DEs.
3. All American TEs.

We've had some good Olineman. But when was the last time we had a TE or DE that was a household name? Ian Thomas was good but underutilized.

3 things that Iowa and Wisconsin have that we don't yet have.

1. All American O-lineman.
2. All American DEs.
3. All American TEs.

We've had some good Olineman. But when was the last time we had a TE or DE that was a household name? Ian Thomas was good but underutilized.

Thomas was underutilized because when he was game ready, the Oline was deficient. TEs are effective when they are complementing a solid Oline

ADVERTISEMENT