ADVERTISEMENT

Kamala - Up to $25,000 in down payment assistance to first-time home buyers. Huh . . .

Univee2

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2002
Where do they come up with this cosmik debris? Are there any economists in the house?

Pay for your gender studies - worthless - degree. Pay a nice chunk of a down payment. Big credit on an EV. Where is this big sugar daddy in the sky showering these people with all these trillions?

And “price gouging (gauging, as Kamala reads its off a teleprompter).” I want Woodford Old Fashions at $7.50, not $20.00.

Casey Stengel is turning over in his grave —— “Does anybody here know how to play this game?”

On the bright side, our home values will go up by $25k!

Saw a WaPo(?) Opinion headline saying something like "If your opponent is calling you a communist, stay away from price controls"

Here it is.
I’m not going to say it @BradStevens.
dont tell shut up GIF by Bounce

she’s a f#cking communist

Saw a WaPo(?) Opinion headline saying something like "If your opponent is calling you a communist, stay away from price controls"

Here it is.
I don’t know. You have to own a home a first-time buyer might want to buy.

See how that discriminates against some home owners? Gotta be a class action suit in there somewhere.

I don’t know. You have to own a home a first-time buyer might want to buy.

See how that discriminates against some home owners? Gotta be a class action suit in there somewhere.
Whoever sold their house will be looking to upgrade and they've got an extra 25 large to spend. Eventually it will work it's way up the ladder to big shot fat cats like us.

Edited to add that I'll throw my name in on a sweet class action though.

Whoever sold their house will be looking to upgrade and they've got an extra 25 large to spend. Eventually it will work it's way up the ladder to big shot fat cats like us.

Edited to add that I'll throw my name in on a sweet class action though.
We’ll get NcMurtry back in front of a judge again. . . . . And not as a St. Louis County jail resident.

“Denny Crane.” . . . . .

We’ll get NcMurtry back in front of a judge again. . . . . And not as a St. Louis County jail resident.

“Denny Crane.” . . . . .
Shiiiiiit. Refer that baby right out.
Counselor you don’t have a plaintiff named just John Doe(s). Plural
That’s right. We bringin this one on behalf of everyone. Everywhere. You know me. I’m Willie E Gary. I only take cases on behalf of everyone. Everywhere.

Here it is.

More gubmint meddling in the marketplace, just the cure for what ails us. I mean, everything they touch turns to gold so what could go wrong? I mean, what happened last time?

Having worked in banking and finance for all of the 90's and 00's, I was there to see it from it's advent to it's fall...cradle to grave. Noble but foolish idealism started with making loans to people living on shoestring budgets who were one large car or housing repair or missing a paycheck or 2 from financial hardship in the early to mid 90's. By then end of the 90's it quickly spiraled into 125% LTV loans, stated income loans, drive by appraisals or based solely on comps, making you a comp for the next sucker. By the 2000's, the only way to outrun the defaults and delinquency rates was totake anyone who could fog a mirror and make their mark, put em on the books and pray.

Shiiiiiit. Refer that baby right out.
Counselor you don’t have a plaintiff named just John Doe(s). Plural
That’s right. We bringin this one on behalf of everyone. Everywhere. You know me. I’m Willie E Gary. I only take cases on behalf of everyone. Everywhere.
999-9999

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
We already subsidize home ownership to the hilt. This is just more of the same.

What's the value of the mortgage interest deduction over the life of a typical mortgage?

(I'm not in favor of her proposal, just pointing out that subsidizing home ownership is nothing new. Same holds for child bearing/rearing.)

What's the value of the mortgage interest deduction over the life of a typical mortgage?

(I'm not in favor of her proposal, just pointing out that subsidizing home ownership is nothing new. Same holds for child bearing/rearing.)
Trump tax reform (standard deduction increase) eliminated mortgage interest deduction for many taxpayers, thus providing some equality with renting.

Reactions: stollcpa

I want to say the $25K would be more like a credit only much better. It's a handout up front whereas a mortgage interest deduction is an itemization and you can only take a percentage of the deduction based on your income.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Trump tax reform (standard deduction increase) eliminated mortgage interest deduction for many taxpayers, thus providing some equality with renting.

Yeah, they covered those with modest homes and modest mortgages. Those with expensive homes and big mortgages still get subsidized above and beyond that, especially those with a passel of kids.

I want to say the $25K would be more like a credit only much better. It's a handout up front whereas a mortgage interest deduction is an itemization and you can only take a percentage of the deduction based on your income.

Sure, there's a difference, but it's a difference of degree, not of kind. Home ownership is already heavily subsidized, this is just more subsidization. That's my only point.

Sure, there's a difference, but it's a difference of degree, not of kind. Home ownership is already heavily subsidized, this is just more subsidization. That's my only point.
The $25K is a handout that is not sustainable. A deduction is itemized. It's not only a different KIND of payout it's a huge difference. Most will still take 30 yr mortgages where this will be easily absorbed in their monthly payments. It further promotes free stuff. Free college loan payoffs, free house down payments, obamacare.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
The $25K is a handout that is not sustainable. A deduction is itemized. It's not only a different KIND of payout it's a huge difference. Most will still take 30 yr mortgages where this will be easily absorbed in their monthly payments. It further promotes free stuff. Free college loan payoffs, free house down payments, obamacare.
I don't support the proposal. Just pointing out that this is simply another way to subsidize home ownership, something that's been going on for forever.

Last edited:
One is allowing you to keep more of the money you've earned, the other is taking money from those who have earned it and giving it to someone who didn't earn it.
I think if kamala said, " day one I am ripping up the constitution and we start over as russia"
There's a couple (dozen) on here that will support it. "Hell yea, lets do that !!!"

I have no problem with an indirect subsidy like a mortgage interest deduction. It was my money to begin with.

Good. There's also FHA loans and VA loans that subsidize home ownership. My only point is that the proposal -- which I do not support -- is simply another scheme to subsidize home ownership.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT