ADVERTISEMENT

Kaepernick takes a knee and is blackballed from the NFL. Kareem Hunt beats the sh!t out of a woman..

Neither of you answered the question. Should the NFL recognize a player's efforts to turn his life around? You know, kinda like amnesty. Whether he is good enough to make a contribution or whether his baggage is worth the trouble is a separate issue that will be sorted out during the pre-season.

I wasn't asked nor do I care about your question

Are you talking about Marlon Mack? He was a 4th round draft pick who everyone knew was extremely talented and that he would eventually get the chance to start.

So I would say that’s an inaccurate depiction.
He’s trying to show relative value of the position and draft pedigree. What he’s saying is that you can get value and high ROI on running backs in late rounds of the draft whereas QBs mostly need to be first rounders to get production (obviously there are deviations from this but they’re rare). You and he are saying the same thing.

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
Kap got what he deserved and the NFL's loss of viewership got them what they earned by not taking a stand. Kap being average is all any football person needs to know. There are dozens of younger average QB's to be had with no baggage and distractions. They have a chance to develop and Kap was a known commodity. See you KAP. Take your grandstanding Bullshit somewhere else.

Kap got what he deserved and the NFL's loss of viewership got them what they earned by not taking a stand. Kap being average is all any football person needs to know. There are dozens of younger average QB's to be had with no baggage and distractions. They have a chance to develop and Kap was a known commodity. See you KAP. Take your grandstanding Bullshit somewhere else.
images

Are you talking about Marlon Mack? He was a 4th round draft pick who everyone knew was extremely talented and that he would eventually get the chance to start.

So I would say that’s an inaccurate depiction.

Everyone said great things about Mack, but he was the next to last pick in round 4. Jamall Williams and Wayne Gallman were taken ahead of him, both getting a half-dozen carries a game. Also Tarrik Cohen getting 2 carries a game, Donnel Pumphrey and Joe Williams were also taken ahead of Mack and out of the league. If everyone knew how talented Mack was, why did those four teams take those players?

Neither of you answered the question. Should the NFL recognize a player's efforts to turn his life around? You know, kinda like amnesty. Whether he is good enough to make a contribution or whether his baggage is worth the trouble is a separate issue that will be sorted out during the pre-season.

Few issues should be lifetime ban (ask Pete Rose), but one needs to walk the walk. I kept hearing this morning it has been 72 days. I know that kids who fail at college often try to get right back in, citing how they've changed their lives. It seldom works that quickly, so colleges want more time away before bringing a kid back. I don't know how long that is. Now the NFL may suspend him the entire year, and that frankly might be enough. Though to be fair, he has 3 issues of attacking someone as a Chief, so maybe a year isn't enough. But maybe it is. There is no way in 72 days the Browns conducted a comprehensive review and concluded he is magically cured. But they know what everyone knows, he could go out and beat up some woman tomorrow and they will cut him and not a single Browns fan will quit being a Browns fan over it.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
He’s trying to show relative value of the position and draft pedigree. What he’s saying is that you can get value and high ROI on running backs in late rounds of the draft whereas QBs mostly need to be first rounders to get production (obviously there are deviations from this but they’re rare). You and he are saying the same thing.

Largely speaking, running backs are fungible. Heck, look at how the Rams did with a castoff in place of their star. Given New England's record, I'm not sure Wideouts aren't more fungible than given credit for. List the greatest WRs in the game, they aren't often a Patriot.

Everyone said great things about Mack, but he was the next to last pick in round 4. Jamall Williams and Wayne Gallman were taken ahead of him, both getting a half-dozen carries a game. Also Tarrik Cohen getting 2 carries a game, Donnel Pumphrey and Joe Williams were also taken ahead of Mack and out of the league. If everyone knew how talented Mack was, why did those four teams take those players?
There could be a million reasons why any given team passes on a talented player like Mack. There were those who said he was to thin and ran to upright to last in the NFL. Maybe there were scheme or personality issues.

This stuff happens all the time. Just ask all the teams who took quarterbacks not named Tom Brady in 2001.

There could be a million reasons why any given team passes on a talented player like Mack. There were those who said he was to thin and ran to upright to last in the NFL. Maybe there were scheme or personality issues.

This stuff happens all the time. Just ask all the teams who took quarterbacks not named Tom Brady in 2001.

If Brady were taken by the Bengals or Lions, what do you think his legacy would be?

I know Bell was certain Indianapolis would want him, and they have a ton of cap space. Not only do they have it, by rules they have to use a large part of it. The Colts would be crazy to take Bell. Any team would be, but even more crazy for the Colts.The NFL has changed, running backs, even great ones, aren't worth that.

List the greatest WRs in the game, they aren't often a Patriot.
I can see why you’re tempted to say that but I think the jury is kinda out on that point. All of the “Top WRs” on the stat sheet are tops because they get a disproportionate amount of targets compared to their peers. Of course they’re very talented also but it has more to do with scheme and other talent on the rosters. Part of the reason Brown is showing his true colors in Pittsburgh is from his perception that Smith-Schuster is taking targets.

Edelman gets 5 less targets a game than the Jones’ or the Browns’ or the Hopkins of the league. If he had 11 who knows.

I can see why you’re tempted to say that but I think the jury is kinda out on that point. All of the “Top WRs” on the stat sheet are tops because they get a disproportionate amount of targets compared to their peers. Of course they’re very talented also but it has more to do with scheme and other talent on the rosters. Part of the reason Brown is showing his true colors in Pittsburgh is from his perception that Smith-Schuster is taking targets.

Edelman gets 5 less targets a game than the Jones’ or the Browns’ or the Hopkins of the league. If he had 11 who knows.

I think Edelman, like Welker was, is a product of the system. He's excellent, in that system. I'm not sure if he ends up in a Cardinals uniform next year he would be quite as excellent. I think if Hopkins ended up there, he'd have amazing number on a 4-12 team. Edelman would have OK numbers on a 4-12 team. Edelman runs routes well, and that is huge. Age is a factor, but in each of their prime would you take Edelman over Jones, Brown or Hopkins? The one reason one might, most wide receivers are prima donnas and Edelman doesn't seem to be. His attempt at free agency a few years ago didn't net a lot of suitors.

I think Edelman, like Welker was, is a product of the system. He's excellent, in that system. I'm not sure if he ends up in a Cardinals uniform next year he would be quite as excellent. I think if Hopkins ended up there, he'd have amazing number on a 4-12 team. Edelman would have OK numbers on a 4-12 team. Edelman runs routes well, and that is huge. Age is a factor, but in each of their prime would you take Edelman over Jones, Brown or Hopkins? The one reason one might, most wide receivers are prima donnas and Edelman doesn't seem to be. His attempt at free agency a few years ago didn't net a lot of suitors.
I wouldn’t take JE over Jones or Hopkins but I would over Brown who has major character issues. I’m not saying he’s as good as those guys but I think the guy has done enough to be a top receiver in the league. NE does such a good job spreading the ball around that his stats will always be depressed and we’ll never know what couple have been.

The only thing I blame Kap for is spectacularly poor marketing decisions. He wanted to shed light on a very real issue...good for him. He chose perhaps the worst possible method to raise awareness and it backfired,

The very real issue was set back sadly. In general of course :The black community has blamed this on the white community as racist. The white community sees this as a hypocritical attack on the the flag and military that provides the very opportunity for Kap. Many believe this is a cop out, and for some it is.

Regardless, it didn't work..in fact it lost ground in the social conscience...and that is unfortunate because the issue is real. Just poor choices of "place" in the marketing of the message,
I disagree. I think he couldn’t have chosen another way to draw more attention to the subject, and obviously at the expense of his career. How would you suggest that he do something that would have come close to attracting the same amount of attention that this did. The only people who don’t understand why he was kneeling are the same ones that scream All Lives Matter and would never have understood his concerns to start with.

Reactions: iuwclurker
As a Browns fan, I'm neither happy nor up in arms about signing Hunt. With Nick Chubb and Duke Johnson in the backfield, we don't need him and I don't think he'll ever see the field. This is either an altruistic move by Dorsey, who has a prior relationship with Hunt, or a strategic one with an eye toward trading him for a lot more than they're paying for him. I'm also not one who thinks a crime should be held against someone for life as long as he's paid his debt and doesn't repeat the behavior.
As far as Kap, it's simple at this point. There isn't a team that thinks he can help them get better. The "distraction" issue, right or wrong, has blown over but, as you said, his atrophied skills make him less than a viable option. No one in the NFL is going to lose on purpose just to make a point. If he could play, he'd be playing.
Not true. I think there are many teams he could help, but the distractions made it so that teams weren’t willing on take a chance on him. Had he been a superstar, teams would have done so.

Reactions: All4You
That’s being very pedantic. Fine he’s an average starter, likely worse now given atrophied skills. If he really wants to play he’d do well to play in Canada or one of these new leagues and proving he has either improved or is the same and can work into a backup w/upside spot.

At this point in his career, Dalton is a below average starter and likely the worst QB in that division (assuming Jackson improves from his rookie year). The Bengals will be looking to improve at that position first chance he gets.
Rex Grossman was crap and went to the Super Bowl. The Packers would have done far better the year before if they could have used Kaep when Rodgers went down but they couldn't because they're pussy-whipped by tailgaters. The only "baggage" that Kaep has is that he exercises his freedom of speech, that very same freedom that the pussies doing the whipping exclaim about. Kaep should be in the league as a back-up and it's pure and unadulterated chickenshittery that he isn't. This has nothing to do with his QBing abilities.

But buy and hold the party line if you so choose.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Rex Grossman was crap and went to the Super Bowl. The Packers would have done far better the year before if they could have used Kaep when Rodgers went down but they couldn't because they're pussy-whipped by tailgaters. The only "baggage" that Kaep has is that he exercises his freedom of speech, that very same freedom that the pussies doing the whipping exclaim about. Kaep should be in the league as a back-up and it's pure and unadulterated chickenshittery that he isn't. This has nothing to do with his QBing abilities.

I have no idea what you’re saying overall so I’ll quibble with your GB point. There is a switching cost of bringing in a new-to-the-system QB over the guy who has been with the team since training camp. Is Kaepernick and his baggage netted out to be a better talent than Kizer without switching costs? I guess GB thought no. You’re convinced beyond the shadow of the doubt that they’re wrong - and I guess you’ll never know. But by all means, post like the dick you are and I guess we’ll just ignore it.

So by your own admission, Kaepernick's value as a player is that of a backup. Also, you admit that teams are concerned about taking Kaepernick due to the "tailgaters" which I am led to believe are the fans (ie: the paying customer). So what is the issue here? If professional sports history has shown us anything, it's shown us that if you are talented enough you will get second chances, and Kareem Hunt (multiple assault charges) and Reuben Foster (DV charges) getting signed these past few months prove that. Kaepernick not being signed these past few years also proves that.

Reactions: glidresquirrel
So by your own admission, Kaepernick's value as a player is that of a backup. Also, you admit that teams are concerned about taking Kaepernick due to the "tailgaters" which I am led to believe are the fans (ie: the paying customer). So what is the issue here? If professional sports history has shown us anything, it's shown us that if you are talented enough you will get second chances, and Kareem Hunt (multiple assault charges) and Reuben Foster (DV charges) getting signed these past few months prove that. Kaepernick not being signed these past few years also proves that.

The problem is. These football teams should be forced to sign Kap, even if it means upsetting their customers.

Wouldn't the team have to go from a pocket system to a much different playbook?
Yes. Kap is the opposite of a pocket/non-mobile quarterback. He does have a cannon for an arm, but isn't the type to stand in the pocket and work through his progressions. If his first option wasn't open, he usually bailed and ran for it. Luckily for him he's a freak of an athlete and can get the yards more often than not. But he's not a drop-in replacement for a pocket QB.

I have no idea what you’re saying overall so I’ll quibble with your GB point. There is a switching cost of bringing in a new-to-the-system QB over the guy who has been with the team since training camp. Is Kaepernick and his baggage netted out to be a better talent than Kizer without switching costs? I guess GB thought no. You’re convinced beyond the shadow of the doubt that they’re wrong - and I guess you’ll never know. But by all means, post like the dick you are and I guess we’ll just ignore it.
Kizer was acquired for this season, not last season. Kaep was available before last (the 2017) season started.

You're missing my basic point, though. Kaep brings no baggage -- the so-called baggage is an invention of hypocrites who advocate for the First Amendment and then get their panties up in a bunch about Kaep's exercise thereof. Kaep didn't disrespect the Flag, the military or anything else the ignorantsia pretends he dissed.

You ignore wtf you want, maestro. You've exercised your freedom to be a dick plenty enough.

As a Browns fan, I'm neither happy nor up in arms about signing Hunt. With Nick Chubb and Duke Johnson in the backfield, we don't need him and I don't think he'll ever see the field. This is either an altruistic move by Dorsey, who has a prior relationship with Hunt, or a strategic one with an eye toward trading him for a lot more than they're paying for him. I'm also not one who thinks a crime should be held against someone for life as long as he's paid his debt and doesn't repeat the behavior.
As far as Kap, it's simple at this point. There isn't a team that thinks he can help them get better. The "distraction" issue, right or wrong, has blown over but, as you said, his atrophied skills make him less than a viable option. No one in the NFL is going to lose on purpose just to make a point. If he could play, he'd be playing.
Hunt would be the best RB in that backfield so Duke Johnson would be the one to trade if they could. Hunt is an top 5 RB.

72 days is a bit soon to know how far one has turned their life around. He may have, it is possible. It is also possible he's just good at listening to his agent say "go here at 5 and tell this story".
Could be the young man is really trying too. Some of these guys grew up in an environment that leads to these kinds of things unfortunately. Getting rich doesn't change that but effort does. He doesn't get a pass for what he did just because of where he came from but he does have a chance to turn his life around and I hope he does.

Supposedly Hunt has done a lot to turn his life around including speaking to young men about his experiences and how to live their lives better. Should the NFL recognize that? Should his contract specify that he continue with that? Is there anything he can do to rehabilitate his life as an NFL running back?
My answers is yes for all three questions.

You're missing my basic point, though. Kaep brings no baggage -- the so-called baggage is an invention of hypocrites who advocate for the First Amendment and then get their panties up in a bunch about Kaep's exercise thereof. Kaep didn't disrespect the Flag, the military or anything else the ignorantsia pretends he dissed.

You ignore wtf you want, maestro. You've exercised your freedom to be a dick plenty enough.

Kap kneeling outraged a lot of fans. Whether you feel they're justified in said outrage is not really the point.The world (and the NFL) doesn't revolve around how you feel on a matter.

Owners (and the entire organization) have an easier time when their fans aren't outraged, and private companies don't have condone their employees protesting on the job if it becomes distraction.

Kap kneeling outraged a lot of fans. Whether you feel they're justified in said outrage is not really the point.The world (and the NFL) doesn't revolve around how you feel on a matter.

Owners (and the entire organization) have an easier time when their fans aren't outraged, and private companies don't have condone their employees protesting on the job if it becomes distraction.

So why is kneeling so much more outrageous than beating someone?

Hunt would be the best RB in that backfield so Duke Johnson would be the one to trade if they could. Hunt is an top 5 RB.

I agree, he should get a second chance. I don't think too many people (though some) want him banned for life. There are two questions, how long is long enough to show he has turned his life around and how long is long enough for the next player to maybe think about getting help before and not after.

Many years ago I heard Cris Carter on the Mike and Mike show say that if football didn't exist probably half the players in the league would be in prison. He said he came from that background, he know what its like. I get that, and I think the opportunity is great. But John Smith may be the greatest janitor in the country but I doubt he would get the same benefit. What happens to a lot of people not in the league is they get a criminal conviction then jobs get mighty scarce. That all needs improve too (something I compliment the Kochs on).

Kizer was acquired for this season, not last season. Kaep was available before last (the 2017) season started.

It’s pointless to engage with you. You’re so transactional and it’s clear you don’t read the full threads or you’d see very well that I agree his baggage isn’t real except it is real.

Had to chuckle about average and above average NFL quarterbacks.

As we Colt fans have learned. The difference between average and above
average depends on the offensive line.

P.S. My favorite Colt in recent times isn't Manning or Luck, it is Jeff Saturday.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson

P.S. My favorite Colt in recent times isn't Manning or Luck, it is Jeff Saturday.
Hard disagree. The offense is a unit and it starts and stops with the QB. He makes all the others look really good or really bad depending on his play.

That is even more true with running backs. I wonder when we'll see line salaries go up, they tend to be under paid imho.

Reactions: hoot1

You don’t get to decide what anyone else finds offensive.

Hard disagree. The offense is a unit and it starts and stops with the QB. He makes all the others look really good or really bad depending on his play.

Ranger, wonder how Andrew Luck would react to your observation.

Ranger, wonder how Andrew Luck would react to your observation.
I don’t know what that means. But the top 2 graded o-lines are on non playoff teams. And the team with the best offense this year (KC) had the #13 ranked line.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...ine-rankings-all-32-teams-units-after-week-17

Division winners and their offensive line rankings:
NE #4
BAL #10
KC #13
HOU #23

CHI #11
DAL #14
LAR #6
NO #8

I suppose I can anecdotally, though it seems lazy to do so, that if you have a pure pocket passing QB, you need a strong o-line but the QBs with escapability are better off having higher investments in their skill players.

Out of the top 10 ranked lines last year, 40% of them missed the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT