ADVERTISEMENT

K.C. Jones passes on Christmas Day

Circlejoe

All-Big Ten
Sep 26, 2001
Link

I thought the world of K.C. Jones, and not because he was a great basketball player and coach. He was a great human being. My parents lived on the west side of Indianapolis (Ben Davis area) during the 80s. Their next-door neighbor was all about basketball. A former college player, Bill played pick-up hoops with area high school players well into his 70s. Bill was also connected to many professional players and coaches, including K.C., and that’s how my parents came to know Coach Jones.

My mother battled severe rheumatoid arthritis from the age of 19. She was pretty much bed-ridden for the last 15 years of her life. K.C. took an interest in her and would visit whenever the Celtics were in town. He would even give her a call now and then from the road and give her a little motivational lift. K.C. was actually a pretty good vocalist who was known to sit in with a jazz group every so often. Sometimes he would call mom and sing a song to lift her spirits. K.C. would also send her little gifts. My favorite was a green Celtics warm-up suit with her name on the back of the jacket in big white letters.

The thing that really moved me though was watching K.C. being interviewed courtside after losing the final game in the 87 NBA Championship. Before answering the reporter’s first question, he said he wanted to give a shout out to my mom back in Indianapolis. Imagine, the anguish of losing a championship game, yet taking the opportunity to give a boost to a woman battling a tough disease.

I only met K.C. one time when I drove down from Michigan to see the Celtics play the Pacers in Indianapolis. Bill, my dad, and I went down to Market Square Arena the morning of the game and took in the walk-through practice for the Celtics. It was pretty cool to sit there watching the team prep for that evening’s game. We went out to a lunch event with K.C. following practice and then to the game that night. I was able to meet most of the players after the practice, except for Bird. Knowing that I was a big fan of Larry Bird, K.C. sent Jimmy Rodgers to find us after the game and bring us back to the locker room where K.C. introduced me to Bird.

K.C. was that kind of guy. He thought of others first. He was low-key and didn’t seek the limelight, but he was completely comfortable speaking in front of large crowds. He was a hell of a coach who never really got the credit he deserved. He was a two-time NCAA Champion, Olympic Gold Medalist, 12-time NBA Champion, NBA, and College Hall of Fame member, along with many other achievements. He came of age in the late 50s/early 60s, a very challenging time for a young black man in America. He came to fame in Boston, a city known for racial tension. But he stood out as a leader of young men and a builder of character. Most of all, K.C. was a great human being. RIP K.C.!

Link

I thought the world of K.C. Jones, and not because he was a great basketball player and coach. He was a great human being. My parents lived on the west side of Indianapolis (Ben Davis area) during the 80s. Their next-door neighbor was all about basketball. A former college player, Bill played pick-up hoops with area high school players well into his 70s. Bill was also connected to many professional players and coaches, including K.C., and that’s how my parents came to know Coach Jones.

My mother battled severe rheumatoid arthritis from the age of 19. She was pretty much bed-ridden for the last 15 years of her life. K.C. took an interest in her and would visit whenever the Celtics were in town. He would even give her a call now and then from the road and give her a little motivational lift. K.C. was actually a pretty good vocalist who was known to sit in with a jazz group every so often. Sometimes he would call mom and sing a song to lift her spirits. K.C. would also send her little gifts. My favorite was a green Celtics warm-up suit with her name on the back of the jacket in big white letters.

The thing that really moved me though was watching K.C. being interviewed courtside after losing the final game in the 87 NBA Championship. Before answering the reporter’s first question, he said he wanted to give a shout out to my mom back in Indianapolis. Imagine, the anguish of losing a championship game, yet taking the opportunity to give a boost to a woman battling a tough disease.

I only met K.C. one time when I drove down from Michigan to see the Celtics play the Pacers in Indianapolis. Bill, my dad, and I went down to Market Square Arena the morning of the game and took in the walk-through practice for the Celtics. It was pretty cool to sit there watching the team prep for that evening’s game. We went out to a lunch event with K.C. following practice and then to the game that night. I was able to meet most of the players after the practice, except for Bird. Knowing that I was a big fan of Larry Bird, K.C. sent Jimmy Rodgers to find us after the game and bring us back to the locker room where K.C. introduced me to Bird.

K.C. was that kind of guy. He thought of others first. He was low-key and didn’t seek the limelight, but he was completely comfortable speaking in front of large crowds. He was a hell of a coach who never really got the credit he deserved. He was a two-time NCAA Champion, Olympic Gold Medalist, 12-time NBA Champion, NBA, and College Hall of Fame member, along with many other achievements. He came of age in the late 50s/early 60s, a very challenging time for a young black man in America. He came to fame in Boston, a city known for racial tension. But he stood out as a leader of young men and a builder of character. Most of all, K.C. was a great human being. RIP K.C.!
great story, his playing days were before my time but definitely remembered him coaching bird and the Celts, being a bird fan would watch them at least 60 games a year thanks to the big dish. tommy heinshon also passed recently , most homer announcer I've of heard but he was awesome

Reactions: Circlejoe
Link

Phenomenal story, Joe.

Reactions: RBB89
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT