ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Smith

WiskyHoosier

Benchwarmer
Jan 29, 2007
Is it driving anyone else Crazy that Justin Smiths name is being mentioned every 30 seconds. 12 points 4 boards 2 assists 1 block 0 turnovers 0 fouls right now.

Archie had 3 years to develop this and Musselman has him for 1 year. If he can develop Smith like that with a covid off season, I'd be on board with hiring him

Is it driving anyone else Crazy that Justin Smiths name is being mentioned every 30 seconds. 12 points 4 boards 2 assists 1 block 0 turnovers 0 fouls right now.

Archie had 3 years to develop this and Musselman has him for 1 year. If he can develop Smith like that with a covid off season, I'd be on board with hiring him
Maybe Archie did develop him and Musselman is reaping all the rewards? Ok jk.

Coaching matters.

I’m happy for both him and Damezi. They didn’t think they were getting what they needed here and looked for a better fit. Damezi didn’t play much, but it looks like the change has worked for JS. Considering the Coach that brought them here was fired, they made a good decision.

In my opinion, Musselman didn’t all of a sudden develop Smith. Smith was always talented. He is athletic and skilled. He needed more help and a more up tempo style to utilize his skills.
I always thought fans were too hard on Smith.
And a team that runs an offense that doesnt have him standing out at the 3 point line with the shot clock running down.

Smith’s performance this season is a complete indictment of Archie’s coaching ability. So glad he is gone.

Reactions: MIS01
Plenty of people here said it would be “addition by subtraction” for us, that he was selfish, not a team player, not particularly coachable. Glad we got that cleared up.

Reactions: JohnCoctostan
Smith averaged 11 and 6 for IU last year. IU really missed him. He is better than Race, and he , TJD and Race would have made a great 4 and 5 combo.

I don't think he is better than Race simply because of Race's grit but I agree the trio plus Brunk would have been a front line that only Archie could **** up.

Plenty of people here said it would be “addition by subtraction” for us, that he was selfish, not a team player, not particularly coachable. Glad we got that cleared up.

Those things were true about him as a player. I know I expected Jerome Hunter to fill the gap and earn JS' playtime through increased development. That didn't happen and that's on Archie too.

Justin is who he is. He still is. Even on the last play of the Texas Tech game, Justin let Kyler Edwards drive right by him with his patented "el matador" perimeter defense. That is something we saw Smith do over and over at IU with no improvement.

I'm very happy for Smith and am glad to see him put up big numbers in the Tournament (particularly in the State of Indiana). And yes that is a big indictment of Miller as a Coach. But there is something I have noticed with most if not all teams in the Tournament that is a bigger problem.
For the past several years I have complained about the fact that when we are running an Offense it looks like we are creating a New York City Traffic Jam. Too many players in a confined space, too many easy double teams and nobody moving to open spots. I watched part of the Georgetown game yesterday. their inside players are rarely if ever double teamed. They cut players through the lane to make the defense react, and their inside players know how to pass out to the long rang shooters.
And there are others , Oklahoma being one of those. I just don't see how you can have a Coach for four seasons that can't grasp this.

Reactions: BayernFan
I'm very happy for Smith and am glad to see him put up big numbers in the Tournament (particularly in the State of Indiana). And yes that is a big indictment of Miller as a Coach. But there is something I have noticed with most if not all teams in the Tournament that is a bigger problem.
For the past several years I have complained about the fact that when we are running an Offense it looks like we are creating a New York City Traffic Jam. Too many players in a confined space, too many easy double teams and nobody moving to open spots. I watched part of the Georgetown game yesterday. their inside players are rarely if ever double teamed. They cut players through the lane to make the defense react, and their inside players know how to pass out to the long rang shooters.
And there are others , Oklahoma being one of those. I just don't see how you can have a Coach for four seasons that can't grasp this.

IU doesn't have any long range shooters, which is also an issue with the prior coaching staff.

Reactions: kkott
Those things were true about him as a player. I know I expected Jerome Hunter to fill the gap and earn JS' playtime through increased development. That didn't happen and that's on Archie too.

Justin is who he is. He still is. Even on the last play of the Texas Tech game, Justin let Kyler Edwards drive right by him with his patented "el matador" perimeter defense. That is something we saw Smith do over and over at IU with no improvement.
First, I'm not going to defend Justin's play or court demeanor 1 bit while he was at IU, but you mean the last play where the TT player missed the layup Justin was contesting? That's the example you are going to use; the one that essentially sealed the game for AR?

First, I'm not going to defend Justin's play or court demeanor 1 bit while he was at IU, but you mean the last play where the TT player missed the layup Justin was contesting? That's the example you are going to use; the one that essentially sealed the game for AR?

Watch the play. Justin is guarding him at the top of the key and lets the guy go right around him. He did this all the time at IU as well. This is why I went crazy when people called him a great defender.

It's irrelevant that he recovered and altered the shot. This part of his game never improved at IU.

ADVERTISEMENT