ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Smith

Jssanto

All-Big Ten
Feb 15, 2019
New Orleans
A lot more offense from him this year and even some threes.
Not an Olidipo jump from sophomore year, but seems like a good jump.
Imagine what his senior year could be.

Reactions: troylw
Justin is absolutely getting better. I suspect he was a little star struck with Romeo last year and now allowing the game to come to him a bit more. He still has work to do, but I like Justin. Calm, thoughtful young man as well.

Reactions: bang63 and iulb
Justin Smith has improved this season.
Devonte and Al have regressed.
DeRon is still injury plagued.

He still has a tendency to disappear, but at least he isn’t forcing it and making terrible plays like he has in the past so much.

Justin Smith has improved this season.
Devonte and Al have regressed.
DeRon is still injury plagued.
Deron looks like a good guy to me. Big guy and ok around the basket. Not enough vertical and too slow to be game changing.

I have been tough on Justin. I'm eating crow today; he had a very good game yesterday.

For me it's about mistakes. I don't expect him to ever be an all conference player but he has some area of skill that are useful.

He hasn't made a ton of mistakes in my mind. He's kindof been a steady presence while getting us 10 to 15 pts, 5 to 8 rebounds and being a rock in the pack line defense.

He's not nor ever will be a great shooter, but the shots he's taken have been limited and almost always wide open.

That's limiting mistakes and dumb decisions.

He still has some motor issues but overall he's been steady.

That's all I want from all our guys.

Reactions: T.M.P. and .Gerdis

3s by him are almost always a bad idea. He's hitting 15% in BT play. As I recall, he took 3 in the NEB game, 2 of which were poor shots. One was very early in the clock...........I would hope he would never take an early 3, even if wide open.

That said, h'e only taking 2 per game on average. If you have to let him take 2 per game to keep him playing hard, it's a good trade-off.

He's averaging 16/7 every 40 minutes and playing good, although not great, D. And he's playing better lately against BT competition. Nice turn-around by him, for sure.

I have been tough on Justin. I'm eating crow today; he had a very good game yesterday.
I too have been tough on Smith, but the issue was he was playing out of position. Archie has him defending, running to the rim for rebounds, and taking the ball with his back to defenders. He is finding success now.

Last edited:
Reactions: alishedobbs
I too have been tough in Smith, but the issue was he was playing out of position. Archie has him defending, running to the rim for rebounds, and taking the ball with his back to defenders. He is finding success now.
Agreed, the frontline of Brunk, TJD and Smith allows Smith to play to his strengths and IU to rebound and defend extremely well inside.

Unfortunately Smith has taken a lot of the blame the last couple years by the Archie apologists. It’s sad and unfair. He’s a good player and seemingly a good kid. But when the apologists need someone to blame, no one is safe besides the guy earning $4 million per year.

3s by him are almost always a bad idea. He's hitting 15% in BT play. As I recall, he took 3 in the NEB game, 2 of which were poor shots. One was very early in the clock...........I would hope he would never take an early 3, even if wide open.

That said, h'e only taking 2 per game on average. If you have to let him take 2 per game to keep him playing hard, it's a good trade-off.

He's averaging 16/7 every 40 minutes and playing good, although not great, D. And he's playing better lately against BT competition. Nice turn-around by him, for sure.

I don't know... I think his D is about as good as anyone on the team including Phinisee.

Unfortunately Smith has taken a lot of the blame the last couple years by the Archie apologists. It’s sad and unfair. He’s a good player and seemingly a good kid. But when the apologists need someone to blame, no one is safe besides the guy earning $4 million per year.

You are so full of crap. Say something to get yourself banned again. It was much better around here.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT