ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Smith

Jssanto

All-Big Ten
Feb 15, 2019
New Orleans
Just saw he made academic team. With his intelligence and athletic ability I hope he watches film all summer

Just saw he made academic team. With his intelligence and athletic ability I hope he watches film all summer
Not too surprised. He is in the Kelley School of Business. It isn't a program someone just in college to play basketball would be in. We forget he is a sophomore. Oladipo, Morgan, and others didn't become complete players until their third year.

He has been good at times and I look forward to see if he can become more consistent next year

So if Justin is intelligent, he will work on his mid range and 3pt shooting, also his FT shooting. Instead of working any more on vertical leap, work on strength with the ball on rebounds and put backs, dribbling, passing, and shooting. Shooting drills for the rest of his career. If, Justin Smith can consistently shoot, it would completely change his basketball career. Without shooting, Justin Smith is a liability on offense, and teams will not guard him on the perimeter, allowing a defensive double team in the post and a full time lane blocker.

So if Justin is intelligent, he will work on his mid range and 3pt shooting, also his FT shooting. Instead of working any more on vertical leap, work on strength with the ball on rebounds and put backs, dribbling, passing, and shooting. Shooting drills for the rest of his career. If, Justin Smith can consistently shoot, it would completely change his basketball career. Without shooting, Justin Smith is a liability on offense, and teams will not guard him on the perimeter, allowing a defensive double team in the post and a full time lane blocker.
You forgot blocking out.

Id say if Justin is intelligent he’d be working on an intern and other requirements of the Kelley School...which w his connections and name recognition may set him up for a better post-IU career than a mid-range jumper to contribute for an NIT type of team...

You understand its the job of the strength coach to "work on his verticle jump", right? That his athleticism is what might get him to the NBA? Would you care to mention, specifically, what drills he should work on or how the coaches can better help him improve in these areas or would you rather admit the coaches have probably already been wotking on them with him? It is a VERY difficult thing to improve skills during the year. The coaches have to obey pretty strict practice rules, classes are going on, and these things called games. If he is in the Kelly school, it gives him that much less time (and I'm very happy he is a good student, as it is student-athlete here). Just saying things are nowhere near as simple as people on here would like them to be. Lay off the kid. He isn't even playing his natural position thanks to our last coach not being able to put a roster together.

Not too surprised. He is in the Kelley School of Business. It isn't a program someone just in college to play basketball would be in. We forget he is a sophomore. Oladipo, Morgan, and others didn't become complete players until their third year.

He has been good at times and I look forward to see if he can become more consistent next year
Yes, but I remember how special Vic was would he refused to allow IU lose an exhibition game his first year.

ADVERTISEMENT