ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Smith transfer

1. I would like to know more about this. I have heard about the differences between “Crean” guys and “Archie” guys.
2. We need the other “3”s which I assume are Hunter and Geronimo, to step up.
What evidence do you have to back up this claim?

Not sure why so many think he was such a great athlete and defender - very slow to get off the ground and always out of position and had issues with help side. Yeah he could make a layup off the break. Weak rebounder. Don't care what his stats say they were built up early in the year off the cupcakes. From a team standpoint IU will be better without him.

Replying to feepaw who claims Archie didn't use Justin properly the last 3 years.

Justin's defense got a lot better last year, nothing like the year prior. He was - IMHO - our best on-ball defender. Off-ball he too often would lose focus of where his man was at and would get burned as a result, but was improved over his sophomore year.

I'd have loved to had him back. But if he a Miller couldn't come to an agreement on his role, then it's probably for the best. Hurts somewhat, but not like losing TJD or Phinisee.

If we remain healthy, it shouldn’t be a major loss (Hunter needs to have a good season). I will say it’s disappointing that Smith didn’t want to come back and play on a top 15 team. Especially, when you will probably be a starter. I think he will end up regretting the decision.

Last edited:
How did he have a low basketball skill? Based on what?
Smith could not shoot. No 3pt shot. Poor FT shooter. No post moves. Only a weak floater or a dunk in transition. No ball handling ability. Weak with the ball inside, lost the ball going up to the rim. Played D but got burned on the perimeter and off ball when his focus and motor waned and was inconsistent. A lot like Eastern of Purdue. No shooting ability. But without the physical edge and energy that Eastern brought. Daddy Smith and Mommy Eastern both were negative tweeters about how their sons were NBA material, when neither were. Just a bad fit on an Archie coached team. This is a gift honestly, to not have to wait 4 years for all of the disgruntled former Crean recruits to move on. This is Archie's team now. NO excuses. Team Chemistry should be much improved. Just win.

Last edited:
Reactions: kmathum
Smith could not shoot. No 3pt shot. Poor FT shooter. No post moves. Only a weak floater or a dunk in transition. No ball handling ability. Weak with the ball inside, lost the ball going up to the rim. Played D but got burned on the perimeter and off ball when his focus and motor waned and was inconsistent. A lot like Eastern of Purdue. No shooting ability. But without the physical edge and energy that Eastern brought. Daddy Smith and Mommy Eastern both were negative tweeters about how their sons were NBA materisl when neither are. Just a bad fit on an Archie coached team.
Look for Smith to go to the G-League and get paid! There is nothing more he can get out of College basketball.

Reactions: ufo33
Seems like Marquette or DePaul would be good place for him. I felt that he and Green never truly played to their potential. To be really good,you gotta be a gym rat.

Torn about it. On 1 hand you hate to lose a senior that has played as much as he has and been productive. Plus seems to be a very intelligent kid On the other there were times where he looked disengaged and kind of aloof. Anyone here know how he was regarded by his teammates?

This is a huge loss and it will be hard to overcome!

This is a huge loss and it will be hard to overcome!
Not a huge loss if he was disgruntled.
Just like a disgruntled employee, it is better if they leave, and don't drag everyone else down with them.
Addition by subtraction.
He had 3 years to improve and develop any semblance of a jump shot with no success.
Time to move on with more young players with higher ceilings and higher incoming basketball skill level.

Reactions: Lucy01
Just like a disgruntled employee, it is better if they leave, and don't drag everyone else down with them.
Addition by subtraction.
He had 3 years to improve and develop any semblance of a jump shot with no success.
Time to move on with more young players with higher ceilings and higher incoming basketball skill level.
It’s a loss but how big a loss depends on the development of Hunter and Geronimo. The silver lining is these guys will get more minutes and may turn out better to be better options than Smith.

Addition by subtraction.
Judging by his dad's tweets, his verbal fights with other players, and his nonchalant play at times I would guess he's been disgruntled (at least to some extent) for awhile. I feel like there's also been rumors of him transferring pretty much every offseason since he's been here. I could be wrong though.

That said he was a good defender, a solid offensive rebounder, and (based on what many have said) a very good student. I wish him the best going forward.

Look for Smith to go to the G-League and get paid! There is nothing more he can get out of College basketball.
Loyola of Chicago?
Depaul?
Western Illinois?
Northwestern?
Bradley?
Illinois State?
U. of Ill, Chicago?
St. Louis?

I just don’t get people wishing him luck and thanking him! He is the one that turned his back on IU! He stole an education!

Did you not see him and (true freshman) Romeo get into it on the court during the MSU game for everyone to see? Lobbing f bombs at eachother? What about Justin's dad's tweets bashing Archie for not getting him the ball enough? Tweets he had to delete right away because of the backlash. Nevermind his nonchalant play at times and lack of leadership.

He is a solid player but there is PLENTY of evidence to back up those claims.

IMO, all that you presented here is purely circumstantial and does not add up to "a locker room cancer". Obviously you think differently.

Didn't Archie have some good things to say about him preseason and early on during the season about him being a leader?

I just don’t get people wishing him luck and thanking him! He is the one that turned his back on IU! He stole an education!

What?

You sound like a child throwing a tantrum because you're not getting your way.

He did what he was suppose to do. He came in, worked hard in practice and the classroom and graduated with a degree. Indiana is still a academic institution where basketball is played, not a basketball institution where education is taught. He never got in trouble off the court and graduated from one of the top business schools in three years. He owes us nothing because he did his job, come in, get his degree and fulfill his duties as a Indiana university student athlete.

Just because it didn't work out on the court like a lot of people wanted it to for him doesn't mean people need to be bashing the kid on the way out.

IMO, all that you presented here is purely circumstantial and does not add up to "a locker room cancer". Obviously you think differently.

Didn't Archie have some good things to say about him preseason and early on during the season about him being a leader?
What's Archie going to say about his own player going into the season? That he sucks? That he can't lead?

Look Justin was a solid player and a good kid, that said his time here wasn't without drama. Like I said I wish him the best going forward.

Reactions: Al Bino
It’s a loss but how big a loss depends on the development of Hunter and Geronimo. The silver lining is these guys will get more minutes and may turn out better to be better options than Smith.
This will probably hurt IU early in the season. He likely would've remained a starter at the beginning of the season.

His departure will give IU a higher ceiling by year end IMO. There is a ceiling on a team who has a 3/stretch 4 who can't shoot and isn't an offensive threat that the other team needs to guard.

What?

You sound like a child throwing a tantrum because you're not getting your way.

He did what he was suppose to do. He came in, worked hard in practice and the classroom and graduated with a degree. Indiana is still a academic institution where basketball is played, not a basketball institution where education is taught. He never got in trouble off the court and graduated from one of the top business schools in three years. He owes us nothing because he did his job, come in, get his degree and fulfill his duties as a Indiana university student athlete.

Just because it didn't work out on the court like a lot of people wanted it to for him doesn't mean people need to be bashing the kid on the way out.
You just described why Indiana will never be a elite basketball school again, IU used to be a basketball institution where an education was taught! Don’t take me wrong, he should have been ran off 2 years ago!

You just described why Indiana will never be a elite basketball school again, IU used to be a basketball institution where an education was taught! Don’t take me wrong, he should have been ran off 2 years ago!

You're just trolling now.

Reactions: Klaus 7196
On defense this will hurt but the offense will look so much better with on less non shooter on the floor. Spacing will be better which will only help TJD and the drivers. I don’t think you will see the offensive droughts like last season.

It is never ideal to lose a senior but I think this will help IU in some aspects.

You guys saying Race is going to stretch the floor more than JSmith...thats wishful thinking...theres been absolutely no evidence of that...
I like Race as a sub...but theres nothing shown to consider him a shooter/scorer...

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
Smith is delusional about his abilities at this point if he thinks transferring is going to drastically improve his marginal potential to have an NBA career. I think you know I won’t miss him, but it leaves a big hole and hurts the team tremendously. Archie should have planned for this. The kid has been disgruntled since day one...
Maybe Archie did plan for Smith's transfer. Hunter, he continues to improve, should be able to replace him quite well. Smith is a role player, he will never be a star. I never saw him as a great defensive player. I don't know what game it was but, the player he was guarding just right blew past him. I remember the color commentator for the game saying, "That is inexcusable, that should never happen to a third year player." The replay probably made it look worse than it was, but it looked really bad. Heck, other teams lose players like Smith and do well without them. I guess it will tell us a little about Archie's coaching ability.

You guys saying Race is going to stretch the floor more than JSmith...thats wishful thinking...theres been absolutely no evidence of that...
I like Race as a sub...but theres nothing shown to consider him a shooter/scorer...

Agree.

Race has done all his work down low. He's hit a shot here or there from 3, but he's not shooting enough that teams are scouting teams out there. I imagine teams would welcome Race to start shooting out there than rather do his work down low.

I've said for a while, I think Hunter is gonna grow into that stretch four for us. He's to slow to guard on the perimeter and is a matchup problem for the other bigs to guard on the perimeter.

We need to stop trying to match up with other teams and have teams adjust to what we do.

Reactions: 76-1
Maybe Archie did plan for Smith's transfer. Hunter, he continues to improve, should be able to replace him quite well. Smith is a role player, he will never be a star. I never saw him as a great defensive player. I don't know what game it was but, the player he was guarding just right blew past him. I remember the color commentator for the game saying, "That is inexcusable, that should never happen to a third year player." The replay probably made it look worse than it was, but it looked really bad. Heck, other teams lose players like Smith and do well without them. I guess it will tell us a little about Archie's coaching ability.
Weeeellllllllllll... if the first 3 non-tournament Archie-years are any indication...which they are...hang on to your hat!

Weeeellllllllllll... if the first 3 non-tournament Archie-years are any indication...which they are...hang on to your hat!
We shall see. I'm as unhappy with our progress as everyone else. But, I do think the guy knows what he's doing. Hopefully, he won't prove me wrong. If he does...well, one thing I do know, none of the cheaters will come here, IU will squeal on them! I don't whose left after that.

I bet he tries to get an Ivy League, Stanford type offer. I think he’s thinking next chapter which doesn’t include NBA. That ship has just about set sail.

Torn about it. On 1 hand you hate to lose a senior that has played as much as he has and been productive. Plus seems to be a very intelligent kid On the other there were times where he looked disengaged and kind of aloof. Anyone here know how he was regarded by his teammates?
Well, that sucks. Hurts our depth up front. Though he isn’t a great player, he was a solid defender and rebounder and always did a good job with cleanup buckets. Wish he would have stayed. If we get another good player up front or stay healthy up front, it won’t be a big loss. Hopefully we will be fine.

Wasn't Race considered a decent to good shooter before he came here? Maybe I am not remembering correctly but...

I found this but I could not find simple stats.

"In high school and on the AAU Circuit Thompson played more on the perimeter, he also showed that he can put the ball on the floor and get by defenders and finish at the rim. Thompson often demonstrated that he can take the ball himself on the fast break, and can knock down three-pointers. For a big guy his handle is impressive and allows for him to become a versatile forward in the half-court."

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Wasn't Race considered a decent to good shooter before he came here? Maybe I am not remembering correctly but...

I found this but I could not find simple stats.

"In high school and on the AAU Circuit Thompson played more on the perimeter, he also showed that he can put the ball on the floor and get by defenders and finish at the rim. Thompson often demonstrated that he can take the ball himself on the fast break, and can knock down three-pointers. For a big guy his handle is impressive and allows for him to become a versatile forward in the half-court."
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4277947/race-thompson

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT