ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Smith transfer

Then Archie’s a real asshole for putting it out there and letting it play out this way letting Smith be the bad guy...knowing all along...

1 - Smith graduates and goes pro.
2 - Smith graduates and transfers.
3 - Smith graduates and goes GLeague/overseas
4 - Smith graduates and gets a job.
5 - Archie puts it out there as surprised that Smith graduated...and is no longer staying w the IU program...

Thanks but those are IU stats, I found those.

What I was looking for was high school stats. As the quote I posted said, I thought I remember that he was touted of as a shooter.

Even those stats you linked show he was a 30% shooter so I don't think it is a stretch that he might be able to up that a little. 30% is not someone that most teams will not guard past the three point line but they might NOT guard him tight. If he could up that to 35 or so, then he becomes someone that helps open up the middle.

Last edited:
Then Archie’s a real asshole for putting it out there and letting it play out this way letting Smith be the bad guy...knowing all along...

5 - Archie puts it out there as surprised that Smith graduated...and is no longer staying w the IU program...

Serious question, Does Archie ever do ANYTHING that pleases you or that you agree with?

I can't recall any.

Maybe, just maybe, even if 1-4 are correct, Archie thought that once Justin saw what next season might be, team wise, he would change his mind.

I don't know and you don't either.

tenor.gif

What I was looking for was high school stats. As the quote I posted said, I thought I remember that he was touted of as a shooter.

Even those stats you linked show he was a 30% shooter so I don't think it is a stretch that he might be able to up that a little. 30% is not someone that most teams will not guard past the three point line but they might guard him tight. If he could up that to 35 or so, then he becomes someone that helps open up the middle.
According to you if he hit 30% that means he misses 70% of the time! Not much of a threat.

Reactions: ufo33
Serious question, Does Archie ever do ANYTHING that pleases you or that you agree with?

I can't recall any.

Maybe, just maybe, even if 1-4 are correct, Archie thought that once Justin saw what next season might be, team wise, he would change his mind.

I don't know and you don't either.
Pleased....The gum response - he nailed that!

Look for Smith to go to the G-League and get paid! There is nothing more he can get out of College basketball.

Justin won’t be able to make the G league. He is not a starting big ten player, for a good team that is.

I won a 100 dollar bet saying he would transfer this year, thought I was gonna lose that one, but the writing was in the wall for me. He doesn’t care about basketball. I am positive I cared more about IUs results last year than him. He didn’t hang out with teammates, his friends were other KSB students. He’s smart, opinionated, and a below average big ten basketball player with a massive lack of heart compared to other players in the B1G.

Even those stats you linked show he was a 30% shooter so I don't think it is a stretch that he might be able to up that a little. 30% is not someone that most teams will not guard past the three point line but they might guard him tight. If he could up that to 35 or so, then he becomes someone that helps open up the middle.

I can not remember ever seeing a player I did not want to shoot like I did with Smith. Every shot that left his hand I called a prayer and reminded me of the fat guy with a headband on in the commercials.

Classic guy at the park that you yell “KOBE” when he shoots. Didn’t Justin airball a FT or two? He easily had the most bricks on the team. Just an awful awful shooter.

According to you if he hit 30% that means he misses 70% of the time! Not much of a threat.

30% threes equals almost 50% on twos. Are you not guarding a guy that hits that inside the arc?

AND in my post, you would see that I said,

"If he could up that to 35 or so, then he becomes someone that helps open up the middle."

I did neglect to insert the word not in my post which I have edited. That might have changed your response.

I can not remember ever seeing a player I did not want to shoot like I did with Smith. Every shot that left his hand I called a prayer and reminded me of the fat guy with a headband on in the commercials.

Classic guy at the park that you yell “KOBE” when he shoots. Didn’t Justin airball a FT or two? He easily had the most bricks on the team. Just an awful awful shooter.

I can not disagree with your post but you quoted a post of mine that was in reference to Race. I know that is a diversion from the topic of this thread but that never happens on this forum!!

Mea culpa

I can not disagree with your post but you quoted a post of mine that was in reference to Race. I know that is a diversion from the topic of this thread but that never happens on this forum!!

Mea culpa

touché. It is early. Carry on.

Mea culpa
30% threes equals almost 50% on twos. Are you not guarding a guy that hits that inside the arc?

AND in my post, you would see that I said,

"If he could up that to 35 or so, then he becomes someone that helps open up the middle."

I did neglect to insert the word not in my post which I have edited. That might have changed your response.
Pretty sure 30% threes doesn't necessarily mean 50% twos.... the guy has absolutely no shot. Not pro material in any league.

Get some of that sativa in you.

long night. The neighbor, now 58, stayed the night on his land (lives in Indy). After all day of drinking for him, he thought he was 20 years old again. Started shadow boxing, and mentioned he would knock me out. That escalated and was very close to putting on gloves.

luckily, it didn’t happen. And I was the one that made it not happen. Stayed up till 2 dicking around on my old ford truck and night drives. Sativa is needed indeed.

Race had a greater presence by the end of the season and looked to have much more potential offensively than Justin. A loss, but some other players will get more opportunities. It was obvious that Jerome was going to eat into Justin's minutes, and it was also obvious that unless Justin improved his outside shot dramatically, Archie wasn't going to let him take any. If Justin harbors any NBA aspirations, he needs to go somewhere where he can be a number one or two offensive option. That wasn't going to be IU in 2020-21. It will be interesting to see where he ends up.

This pretty much sums it up. But IU still desperately needs another big guy.

Geronimo and Hunter can replace Justin outside, but inside the only solution is finding a big guy to add to the team.

But finding a big guy who doesn't need to score should not be too difficult.

If we remain healthy, it shouldn’t be a major loss (Hunter needs to have a good season). I will say it’s disappointing that Smith didn’t want to come back and play on a top 15 team. Especially, when you will probably be a starter. I think he will end up regretting the decision.
That fact, that he decided that he didn't want to play on a top 25 team and take his best shot playing in the tournament for the first time, after all the sweat equity he had in the program, says a lot about his leadership--or lack thereof.

We will probably miss Smith's defense, but we'll see. Hunter has a higher than normal shot at making a leap, and Geronimo is one of those toolsy kids whose progression can occur very quickly (or never).

Reactions: snarlcakes
Quitting on his teammates after putting in 3 years in the program means it is all about him, and not about the team. IU moves on with younger, but more skillful basketball players.

Last edited:
Justin needs to move on into the business world or go on the Slam Dunk circus tour as that is his only basketball skill. Quitting on his teammates after putting in 3 years in the program means it is all about him, and not about the team. IU moves on with younger, but more skillful basketball players.
Justin and his Daddy doesn’t deserve any more ink!

I don't see Justin leaving as quitting on his teammates. He doesn't enjoy the game, but was talented enough to get this far. So be it. Go enjoy the business degree and Geronimo, you just moved up in minutes.

- Where did you see that Miller was surprised by this? Nothing I've seen indicated that.

- It is Smith's decision to transfer. Why should Miller or anyone else try to protect him from fan reaction to this? Could they even do that? Fans are passionate and tend to overreact.

- Even if he said it to his teammates it doesn't mean Miller knew. I think he did know or at least thought it was a very real possibility. I mean, I don't think there were very many people totally taken by surprise by this announcement. People have talked about Smith possibly transferring every season he's been here and even more so this season.

We get it, you hate Miller but this post is total nonsense.

Last edited:
Pretty sure 30% threes doesn't necessarily mean 50% twos.... the guy has absolutely no shot. Not pro material in any league.

Better check your math. 3 out of 10 three point shots equals 9 points. 5 out of 10 two point shots is 10 points. 9 almost equals 10 in my math system. As I stated, if he could increase that % to 35% or so, then it opens the middle.

Did you read my other post where I quoted a source stating that he could knock down the three?

Weeeellllllllllll... if the first 3 non-tournament Archie-years are any indication...which they are...hang on to your hat!
IU measurably improved each year and was a near lock to make the NCAA tournament last year. You're making a dishonest argument.

Archie’s an asshole bc a player said all season he was transferring no matter what?! Smith can go **** himself. He was always a little whiny bitch. Average at best and poor attitude. You ever watch an interview of Smith? He’s likely transferring to Wabash if you know what I mean; my wife was the first to call that out. Bottom line...if he knows he’s leaving before season is over...Archie should have fn SAT HIS ASS ON THE BENCH ALL FN YEAR. Period. Was never a fan and now I feel better about why I wasn’t

Reactions: namnik

1. Why do you necessarily believe what this student from NY reports?
2. If true, why do you necessarily believe that AM knew this info?
3. What in AM's comments indicated to you that he was surprised that JS graduated or is leaving. He addresses both in his comments.

Big Ten Standings say otherwise

Every reputable bracketologist had us in as a 9 or 10 seed.

Something to brag about...no.

However they weren't even close to the bubble.

Minimum expectation this past year (for me) was to make the tournament. They met that.

Especially after many said this past season and roster was a dumpster fire.

We survived the loss of Romeo and Morgan, we can survive the loss of Justin and Damezi.

It's nice to have some balanced talent.

Huge opportunity for Jerome and Race this season. Hopefully one or both step up.

Every reputable bracketologist had us in as a 9 or 10 seed.

Something to brag about...no.

However they weren't even close to the bubble.

Minimum expectation this past year (for me) was to make the tournament. They met that.

Especially after many said this past season and roster was a dumpster fire.

We survived the loss of Romeo and Morgan, we can survive the loss of Justin and Damezi.

It's nice to have some balanced talent.

Huge opportunity for Jerome and Race this season. Hopefully one or both step up.
Had Purdue made it one round further in B10 tourney than we had - they may have stole our bid.
Had 1 conference had a wild upset champion, they may have stole our bid.
There is nothing about being the 11 seed in the B10 that shouts ‘not close to the bubble’

Quitting on his teammates after putting in 3 years in the program means it is all about him, and not about the team. IU moves on with younger, but more skillful basketball players.
Get old and stay old unless your name is Smith?

Had Purdue made it one round further in B10 tourney than we had - they may have stole our bid.
Had 1 conference had a wild upset champion, they may have stole our bid.
There is nothing about being the 11 seed in the B10 that shouts ‘not close to the bubble’

Ifs and buts. Whatever it takes to further your agenda.

What was it, 89 out of 90 bracketologists had us in? And the 4 or 5 I checked, did NOT have us as the last four in so that means it would have taken some upsets (number not known by anyone) to even put us on the last four in list. Then further upsets to put us out of the tourney.

Being tied for tenth in the BT is nothing to brag about but it does shout "not close to the bubble" when the conference is as strong as it was and all other relevant data points to us NOT being on the bubble.

But of course, you only consider the data that backs up your negative IU view.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT