ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Smith is early entrant to NBA draft; if so he may be gone

IU? I'm Fine

All-Big Ten
Jul 23, 2006
TOS says Justin Smith may have put his name in for early entrant to NBA draft. So, he and Al D. did that last year, right? My understanding is to remain eligible for college scholarship and play one may not do that twice. Is that the case.

Not sure.

TOS says Justin Smith may have put his name in for early entrant to NBA draft. So, he and Al D. did that last year, right? My understanding is to remain eligible for college scholarship and play one may not do that twice. Is that the case.

Not sure.

He can do it multiple times.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
You can only do it twice and still be able to come back.
Before 2016, the NCAA only allowed a player to enter the draft once without losing eligibility,[27] but current NCAA rules now allow players to declare for and withdraw from multiple drafts while retaining college eligibility. The CBA allows a player to withdraw twice. per Wiki

Looks like B2B was correct in this case. meenie would be correct for CBA players.

Hence Justin Smith still might be back.

twice. Nojel Eastern just did the same thing (second time). Not harmful at all, he can go and get evaluated and get feedback, then play his Sr year. I think we all know, he's not getting drafted. In the NBA, he would be a wing player who can't shoot from outside.

Taking off to play in Europe with his degree from Kelley would be a bigger risk at this moment in time.

Am I one of the few that would be ok if he didn't come back? I think there are still enough pieces without him next year to make a run/have a successful season. I've never been a big fan of him, so I wouldn't be upset if he went pro.

Am I one of the few that would be ok if he didn't come back? I think there are still enough pieces without him next year to make a run/have a successful season. I've never been a big fan of him, so I wouldn't be upset if he went pro.
hard to replace 10 pts, 6 rebounds, 5 fouls per game - and 3 yrs of experience.

He is an enigma. I think it's because of his lack of emotion on the court, to the point that he looks like he doesn't give a shit. But statistically, he had a decent season, cut back on his 3 pt shots, put up a couple double doubles, and our team would be thinner in the front court, with 5 less fouls to spread around, if he left.

Only my opinion, but IU would be better if Justin Smith returns. Having an upperclassman that starts is really our future. Now, how to get him to improve in all areas? That is the question. The answer just may be to have a fully functional upperclassman PG that can distribute better, score a little more, etc. Coupled with some outside shooting that improves...would open up Justin's opportunities more.

It wouldn’t be a crushing loss. It could even end up helping in the long run. But I’d be pretty wary of it initially. Justin is our best, most versatile defender. And he’s one of our more active guys around the basket. We all know the downside stuff with him too. So if he were to leave, and that meant more minutes for Hunter, Thompson, and maybe an opportunity for a Geronimo or Galloway to emerge earlier than they would if Justin is here...that’s where it could end up fine/better.

Losing a 6-8, very good defending, very active rebounding, really good kid, academic all America... don’t think that is ever fully a good thing.

I would be all for it and have been clamoring for it for the past two seasons. Problem is, Archie didn’t recruit for it and isn’t prepared for it at this point. So...I hope he stays.

Reactions: birdforbogey
I would be all for it and have been clamoring for it for the past two seasons. Problem is, Archie didn’t recruit for it and isn’t prepared for it at this point. So...I hope he stays.

Hunter, Thompson, Geronimo, and Galloway probably disagree with what you just said.

The biggest loss would be defensively. Pack line needs good, solid, long defenders. And Justin is exactly that. Offensively, we’d be fine. I’m looking for Hunter to eat into Justin’s minutes this year anyway. But in order to actually take steps forward as a program, we have to improve weaknesses without going backwards in strengths. If Justin leaves, it’s hard to say our defense doesn’t take a big hit.

Idk.l
He can play a little defense...But most top teams 3 is either they're #1 or #2 option....Not close that after three year's for the Hoosiers..
He's never playing in the Association long term.
Look at Troy Williams..I got crazy Troy over him all day..

He’s a for sure starter and 20+ minute a game contributor next year, so losing him would be a big deal.

I have no problem with a player going thru the process. It actually seems like the correct thing to do. The pros tell you what you need to work on, and in this case, Smith can compare it to last's years.
I believe he will be back and try to develop a better midrange shot.

You guys are absolutely nuts saying IU would be better without him. Smith has been one of the best and most important players on the team every Archie-season, but never the best player. Smith is a very good player for IU, and would be at any other B10 program as well.

It wouldn’t be a crushing loss. It could even end up helping in the long run. But I’d be pretty wary of it initially. Justin is our best, most versatile defender. And he’s one of our more active guys around the basket. We all know the downside stuff with him too. So if he were to leave, and that meant more minutes for Hunter, Thompson, and maybe an opportunity for a Geronimo or Galloway to emerge earlier than they would if Justin is here...that’s where it could end up fine/better.

Losing a 6-8, very good defending, very active rebounding, really good kid, academic all America... don’t think that is ever fully a good thing.

He's not 6'8"...may not be 6'7"

Reactions: kmathum
You guys are absolutely nuts saying IU would be better without him. Smith has been one of the best and most important players on the team every Archie-season, but never the best player. Smith is a very good player for IU, and would be at any other B10 program as well.

We're not better off without him, probably, but you are over-stating matters.

There were 19 players on the ABT 1st-3rd teams + HM ABT....23 on the media list. JS wasn't one of them. He didn't even make the all-defensive team, although that's his strength.........Lack of consistent effort on the D side is to blame, as he's obviously got the tools to be very good defensively when motivated.

So....one of the best players on 3 crap teams.....probably better off with him than without, but there's no way of quantifying the negative intangibles......

We're not better off without him, probably, but you are over-stating matters.

There were 19 players on the ABT 1st-3rd teams + HM ABT....23 on the media list. JS wasn't one of them. He didn't even make the all-defensive team, although that's his strength.........Lack of consistent effort on the D side is to blame, as he's obviously got the tools to be very good defensively when motivated.

So....one of the best players on 3 crap teams.....probably better off with him than without, but there's no way of quantifying the negative intangibles......
But he’s playing for a reason, namely that there’s no one better to take his spot. Moving into 2020-21, there’s very little to suggest that dynamic will change, so his relative value to the team is clear. Losing him would be a big deal.

Last edited:
twice. Nojel Eastern just did the same thing (second time). Not harmful at all, he can go and get evaluated and get feedback, then play his Sr year. I think we all know, he's not getting drafted. In the NBA, he would be a wing player who can't shoot from outside.

Taking off to play in Europe with his degree from Kelley would be a bigger risk at this moment in time.

If Justin wants to make money plying his trade...Europe would be a fine place to do so next year.

If Justin wants to play in the NBA. He's going to have to blossom into an NBA player...so he will need to decide where best to do this. Europe...the developmental league or college ball.

Not sure.

You can stay in until the draft is complete if you send a fax ahead of time.

I think Justin Smith can make it in the NBA. He just needs to stay healthy and get a couple of breaks. For example if 95% of the population is killed by the pandemic there will be a greater demand for his skill set.

Reactions: herrli
Justin gives this team something that no other player on this team gives, flexibility on defense.

Archie can literally play him anywhere on the court on defense and he's not a liability. He can guard in the perimeter and he can bang down low. We don't have another player on the defensive end like him.

If he were to leave, it would be a loss for us.

I've been as hard on him as anyone but we have nobody else like him on the roster. He's a very good wing defender (might be one of the best in the Big10) and he's a good offensive rebounder as well.

Losing him wouldn't destroy the season necessarily but we'll be better with him than not.

Hunter, Thompson, Geronimo, and Galloway probably disagree with what you just said.

The biggest loss would be defensively. Pack line needs good, solid, long defenders. And Justin is exactly that. Offensively, we’d be fine. I’m looking for Hunter to eat into Justin’s minutes this year anyway. But in order to actually take steps forward as a program, we have to improve weaknesses without going backwards in strengths. If Justin leaves, it’s hard to say our defense doesn’t take a big hit.
Unlike many others, I think Smith has been a solid contributor to IU, especially last season when he played much more under control than previously. He appeared to have finally figured out that his role was to play strong defense and rebound and shooting from outside was way down the list for what IU needed from him. IU will be better next year with him than they would be without him. He'll be back and we should be very happy about that.

There were people who all year said the so called crean players are holding iu back and once they are gone archie has his team. So some may get what they wanted

There were people who all year said the so called crean players are holding iu back and once they are gone archie has his team. So some may get what they wanted
He’s not an NBA level player, and he’ll be told that. His road to professional basketball will be in Europe, whenever that is available to him.

Unlike many others, I think Smith has been a solid contributor to IU, especially last season when he played much more under control than previously. He appeared to have finally figured out that his role was to play strong defense and rebound and shooting from outside was way down the list for what IU needed from him. IU will be better next year with him than they would be without him. He'll be back and we should be very happy about that.

Agreed...as we sit here today. I’ve used Justin as an example of the progress Archie is making...he was much more under control this past year. Any sort of further improvement in that area, and he’s a borderline all conference kid.

I could see a situation playing out, however, where the void left by a Justin Smith departure leads to Hunter emerging more, and one of the Incoming freshman being relied upon more, and as a result contributing more, earlier than if Smith were here. And that being a good thing longer term.

But those scenarios are much less certain than the solid play we know Justin will give us this season. And his presence in practice will help the development of the guys I mentioned as much or more than increased PT would.

All in all, we’ll be better with him. Hope he’s here.

No. He’ll be a top 2-3 player next year.

No. He’ll be a top 2-3 player next year.
hey, circle the date today, you Birnk and I are in agreement. Losing Smith would not be good for next yr's team. His production and experience will be very difficult to replace. I'm expecting more from Hunter next year but he's not an inside player who grabs rebounds, so he cannot absorb Smith's overall production. Having Smith and Race next yr gives us more depth inside.

I think all this is moot...he has one more (one last) opp to go through the NBA evals, so why not do it and get some fresh feedback...I was more concerned about his name showing up in the Tx portal.

Reactions: herrli
hey, circle the date today, you Birnk and I are in agreement. Losing Smith would not be good for next yr's team. His production and experience will be very difficult to replace. I'm expecting more from Hunter next year but he's not an inside player who grabs rebounds, so he cannot absorb Smith's overall production. Having Smith and Race next yr gives us more depth inside.

I think all this is moot...he has one more (one last) opp to go through the NBA evals, so why not do it and get some fresh feedback...I was more concerned about his name showing up in the Tx portal.

I’m relieved he’s staying. I enjoyed watching him play this past season despite some boneheaded plays and lapses in focus. Can’t say enough about his obvious abilities. Here’s to hoping it all comes together for him and the team...and that there is a 20-21 season.

He’s not an NBA level player, and he’ll be told that. His road to professional basketball will be in Europe, whenever that is available to him.
agree completely...unless he can hit shots consistently from outside (which to this point, he's not show the ability to do such), he'll have a hard time making any NBA roster. However he could easily be a 15ppg scorer playing somewhere overseas.

Or he could get his MBA and go make six digits for some consulting firm. Either way, his future doesn't look too shabby.

He is an enigma. I think it's because of his lack of emotion on the court, to the point that he looks like he doesn't give a shit. But statistically, he had a decent season, cut back on his 3 pt shots, put up a couple double doubles, and our team would be thinner in the front court, with 5 less fouls to spread around, if he left.
well said. additionally, his basketball IQ isnt great, especially as it relates to cutting on offense. I know it's a diff offense but players like Troy and OG made a living cutting the baseline during drives. He stands out by the arch too much

If Smith comes back he can help IU in transition and on defense. In the 1/2 court Smith is a liability. If Smith leaves it will allow more PT to go to younger, more offensively skilled players which is a good thing for IU's future. Coming back for another year in college will not make him a NBA player. It just won't. He just is not very skilled offensively and is likely never going to be a NBA talent. He can leave now and dunk over less athletic players in Euro ball for a paycheck. He is a good student, so he needs to get his degree and use his education to be successful in the business world when basketball is over.

Last edited:

Taking less perimeter shots was the biggest improvement that Smith made last season. You can't force a square peg into a round hole. He just can not shoot.

Taking less perimeter shots was the biggest improvement that Smith made last season. You can't force a square peg into a round hole. He just can not shoot.
he's one of those shooters whose form looks almost beautiful...until the ball approaches the rim. And he puts too much arch on his free throws...either goes straight through or clangs off the rim. Doesn't get any 'shooter's rolls' on his free throws (or most other shots).

well said. additionally, his basketball IQ isnt great, especially as it relates to cutting on offense. I know it's a diff offense but players like Troy and OG made a living cutting the baseline during drives. He stands out by the arch too much
one of the reasons (maybe THE reason) guys like Troy and OG were successful on baseline cuts is because we had Yogi who could drive and dish as well as anyone.

He has to stay. After all, we've lost Troy Williams and then Devonte. We need to have one player that we can describe as "Good [fill-in the blank name]" and "Bad [fill-in the blank name]" after each game.

Justin is certainly the leading candidate for that title next year...

Reactions: TommyCracker
He has to stay. After all, we've lost Troy Williams and then Devonte. We need to have one player that we can describe as "Good [fill-in the blank name]" and "Bad [fill-in the blank name]" after each game.

Justin is certainly the leading candidate for that title next year...

Maybe to a certain extent...though he was much more solid with the ball this year than last. I might guess that moniker would go to Lander if anyone. If he reclassifies he’ll be a freshman, a young freshman, that will likely be relied upon heavily and have the ball in his hands a lot. Guessing that produces some frustrating times. Would expect the good moments to outweigh the frustrating ones though.

Falls away every shot...it’s hard to watch. Needs to just keep sticking to what he’s semi good at rebounding and d
he's one of those shooters whose form looks almost beautiful...until the ball approaches the rim. And he puts too much arch on his free throws...either goes straight through or clangs off the rim. Doesn't get any 'shooter's rolls' on his free throws (or most other shots).
ay

ADVERTISEMENT