ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Smith is early entrant to NBA draft; if so he may be gone

Smith did well when he had a size or athletic advantage. He disappeared against someone with equal or greater ability. He will have to play against bigger faster stronger players every night in the NBA,

I would expect he will hear he needs to improve his shooting and consistently compete in every game. He is a good player but will need to become great to stand out from other players. I believe he needs to show that over a season and not during workouts with NBA teams.

It would be a loss to the team if he left but an opportunity for someone else.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
It wouldn’t be a crushing loss. It could even end up helping in the long run. But I’d be pretty wary of it initially. Justin is our best, most versatile defender. And he’s one of our more active guys around the basket. We all know the downside stuff with him too. So if he were to leave, and that meant more minutes for Hunter, Thompson, and maybe an opportunity for a Geronimo or Galloway to emerge earlier than they would if Justin is here...that’s where it could end up fine/better.

Losing a 6-8, very good defending, very active rebounding, really good kid, academic all America... don’t think that is ever fully a good thing.
He won’t get drafted. If he’s not that good with IU how can he play in the NBA. Cmon guys - get real

he's one of those shooters whose form looks almost beautiful...until the ball approaches the rim. And he puts too much arch on his free throws...either goes straight through or clangs off the rim. Doesn't get any 'shooter's rolls' on his free throws (or most other shots).

His shot is anything but soft and will never get a '' shooters roll'' I think a lot is spin besides bad aim when he does get it close. That said if he stays inside I can see him having a good year

You guys are absolutely nuts saying IU would be better without him. Smith has been one of the best and most important players on the team every Archie-season, but never the best player. Smith is a very good player for IU, and would be at any other B10 program as well.

You are absolutely correct.

You guys are absolutely nuts saying IU would be better without him. Smith has been one of the best and most important players on the team every Archie-season, but never the best player. Smith is a very good player for IU, and would be at any other B10 program as well.
you forgot the dws.

You are absolutely correct.
you too.

agree completely...unless he can hit shots consistently from outside (which to this point, he's not show the ability to do such), he'll have a hard time making any NBA roster. However he could easily be a 15ppg scorer playing somewhere overseas.

Or he could get his MBA and go make six digits for some consulting firm. Either way, his future doesn't look too shabby.
Justin does appear to be a pretty smart young man. I don't know his GPA but I like hearing him in interviews.

Smith is who he is. He's really, really good in transition, he struggles in the half court because his inside game is just okay but he's a little undersized as a 4 while his outside game is basically non existent as he's a tad oversized.

He is our best defensive wing and understands the pack line better than anyone on the team.

If Hunter grows from just being a chucker to having a better overall inside/outside offensive game, while getting it defensively then he'll push Smith out of the way at the three (Justin will either drop to the 4 with Race and TJD or hit the bench).

So far Hunter hasn't developed ovetall to the point of pushing Smith's minutes.

If and when he does, we'll be a better team.

As it stands, Smith is a big part of the rotation and will be as he is a senior.

If we ever increase our pace like Archie says he wants to do...Smith will miraculously be one of our leading scorers like he was early in the year.

Smith's career reminds me of Sam Thompson of OSU.

Reactions: MrBing
twice. Nojel Eastern just did the same thing (second time). Not harmful at all, he can go and get evaluated and get feedback, then play his Sr year. I think we all know, he's not getting drafted. In the NBA, he would be a wing player who can't shoot from outside.

Taking off to play in Europe with his degree from Kelley would be a bigger risk at this moment in time.
Pleased to hear he is a good student.

Smith is who he is. He's really, really good in transition, he struggles in the half court because his inside game is just okay but he's a little undersized as a 4 while his outside game is basically non existent as he's a tad oversized.

He is our best defensive wing and understands the pack line better than anyone on the team.

If Hunter grows from just being a chucker to having a better overall inside/outside offensive game, while getting it defensively then he'll push Smith out of the way at the three (Justin will either drop to the 4 with Race and TJD or hit the bench).

So far Hunter hasn't developed ovetall to the point of pushing Smith's minutes.

If and when he does, we'll be a better team.

As it stands, Smith is a big part of the rotation and will be as he is a senior.

If we ever increase our pace like Archie says he wants to do...Smith will miraculously be one of our leading scorers like he was early in the year.

Smith's career reminds me of Sam Thompson of OSU.

Why is Hunter so reluctant to be physical? I realize he has not had many minutes but we know he tends to settle for the three most of the time. I know it has been a long road back but at some point, he needs to us his size more. He seems to have a good frame.

Smith is a weak finisher. For a guy who's brand is athleticism, that is not a good problem to have. And he can't shoot, which at 6'7" is a no go in the League unless you are all defense..

Reactions: Lillyr66
Am I one of the few that would be ok if he didn't come back? I think there are still enough pieces without him next year to make a run/have a successful season. I've never been a big fan of him, so I wouldn't be upset if he went pro.
IMHO IU needs his scoring, rebounding and defense. I also feel he will improve "some" next year.

Maybe to a certain extent...though he was much more solid with the ball this year than last. I might guess that moniker would go to Lander if anyone. If he reclassifies he’ll be a freshman, a young freshman, that will likely be relied upon heavily and have the ball in his hands a lot. Guessing that produces some frustrating times. Would expect the good moments to outweigh the frustrating ones though.[/QUOTE

TOS says Justin Smith may have put his name in for early entrant to NBA draft. So, he and Al D. did that last year, right? My understanding is to remain eligible for college scholarship and play one may not do that twice. Is that the case.

Not sure.

my question is, what kind of "evaluation period" will there be, if any?

he shot it much better last yr than the yrs before, but his shooting motion is still just terrible.

of the players with terrible shooting motions at IU in the last ten yrs, (Will Sheehey's motion kept him from being the great player he could have been), i don't see the coaching staffs getting them to fix them, so not sure what's up with that.

that said, would be a big loss, and if his shoot could improve as much next yr as last yr, (say by fixing his motion, duh), then the loss would be even bigger.

that said, until his shooting motion does get fixed, hard to see him getting drafted. (so fix it).

my question is, what kind of "evaluation period" will there be, if any?

he shot it much better last yr than the yrs before, but his shooting motion is still just terrible.

of the players with terrible shooting motions at IU in the last ten yrs, (Will Sheehey's motion kept him from being the great player he could have been), i don't see the coaching staffs getting them to fix them, so not sure what's up with that.

that said, would be a big loss, and if his shoot could improve as much next yr as last yr, (say by fixing his motion, duh), then the loss would be even bigger.

that said, until his shooting motion does get fixed, hard to see him getting drafted. (so fix it).
Have you seen any player noticeably improve a specific skill in the last 3 years?

I don’t mean bump production because of how they were used or an increase in minutes...actually noticeably improve an individual basketball skill.

Have you seen any player noticeably improve a specific skill in the last 3 years?

I don’t mean bump production because of how they were used or an increase in minutes...actually noticeably improve an individual basketball skill.

the last 3 yrs is irrelevant.

i have seen guys become better/much better shooters, (Olidipo for 1), both while in school and after. (LeBron would be the ultimate example).

but i don't recall any IU coaching staff ever correcting a very flawed shooting motion as with Justin and Will Sheehey while in college. (seems like OG had his tweaked once in the pros).

not sure why. don't know if it's just pure stubbornness on the player's part, or the coaches not being willing to do what needed done.

Justin does appear to be a pretty smart young man. I don't know his GPA but I like hearing him in interviews.
He’s a Kelly business school student . Smart guy and good player. We absolutely need him. Not sure who we could get to take his spot that would be better.

Reactions: birdforbogey
the last 3 yrs is irrelevant.

i have seen guys become better/much better shooters, (Olidipo for 1), both while in school and after. (LeBron would be the ultimate example).

but i don't recall any IU coaching staff ever correcting a very flawed shooting motion as with Justin and Will Sheehey while in college. (seems like OG had his tweaked once in the pros).

not sure why. don't know if it's just pure stubbornness on the player's part, or the coaches not being willing to do what needed done.
Sheehey was probably the best mid-range shooter in my memory...excellent.

And the last 3 years are relevant...and that not a single player has noticeably improved at a single skill.

Crean and Buckley made kids into shooters. Kids improved noticeably. Hell, they tried to turn the one kid into completely changing from right-to-left handed because his shot was so jacked uo and unfixable because of his muscle memory.
Davis/Treloar turned Dane Fife into a shooter/offensive presence after Knight used Fife much differently.
In 3 years w Archie - some point to the change in Juwans use and increase in minutes and claim he suddenly improved - but his skills didnt really improve or change.

Now - Im not claiming the Crean or Davis staff is a better coaching staff than Archie’s(though I do believe it anyway)...but if Im paying one of those groups for individual lessons for my kid...Archie’s getting the last phone call...

And the last 3 years are relevant...and that not a single player has noticeably improved at a single skill.

Crean and Buckley made kids into shooters. Kids improved noticeably. Hell, they tried to turn the one kid into completely changing from right-to-left handed because his shot was so jacked uo and unfixable because of his muscle memory.
Davis/Treloar turned Dane Fife into a shooter/offensive presence after Knight used Fife much differently.
In 3 years w Archie - some point to the change in Juwans use and increase in minutes and claim he suddenly improved - but his skills didnt really improve or change.

Now - Im not claiming the Crean or Davis staff is a better coaching staff than Archie’s(though I do believe it anyway)...but if Im paying one of those groups for individual lessons for my kid...Archie’s getting the last phone call...

Your last statement is fair. At this point, I’d agree. Creans program was really strong in player skill development. All the more frustrating that he never built a sustainably successful program. He was a decent recruiter. He developed talent well. Yet they were still a roller coaster.

I’d follow up your statement with this one. If I were hiring one of those 3 to run my program, Archie would be first, and it’s not even close.

I’ll also use our two seniors that will have played their entire career for Archie.

Al Durham has dramatically improved his shooting thus far.

Justin Smith has dramatically improved his defense in many ways. And has become much more controlled and reliable with the ball.

Just two very obvious examples to counter point your argument.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I’ll also use our two seniors that will have played their entire career for Archie.

Al Durham has dramatically improved his shooting thus far.

Justin Smith has dramatically improved his defense in many ways. And has become much more controlled and reliable with the ball.

Just two very obvious examples to counter point your argument.
Nah - Smith would be scoring 12-16 pts a game w Crean at this point...his usage has changed...not his skills having improved. His offensive skills would have been similar to Troy Williams improvements. His usage makes you claim defensively he has improved. He’d probably be considered a real NBA prospect if he’d continued under Crean.

Durham - Id have to look into a little more on his %... and dont feel like doing so tonite...but you could be right.

Nah - Smith would be scoring 12-16 pts a game w Crean at this point...his usage has changed...not his skills having improved. His offensive skills would have been similar to Troy Williams improvements. His usage makes you claim defensively he has improved. He’d probably be considered a real NBA prospect if he’d continued under Crean.

Durham - Id have to look into a little more on his %... and dont feel like doing so tonite...but you could be right.

Maybe...and I agreed Crean was the best skill developer. Just couldn’t really consistently do anything with it. You basically said no one has improved skill wise under Archie though...that isn’t true.

Justin Smith is not anywhere close as talented as Troy Williams. And nor is he a real NBA prospect no matter the coach.
Justin plays a nice role for IU, is a terrific student, and I hope he finishes his last season at IU.

Reactions: thezinfan1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT