ADVERTISEMENT

Just not seeing it being long for Archie

Sampson was actually/ is actually a very good basketball coach. He knows the game.

Had the dummy just played by the rules and recruited some character kids, he would have had a lifetime contract here. He had all the built-in advantages and he still couldn’t just play by the rules. The sad thing is he didn’t even have to do what he did. The program sold itself.

Numbnuts Adam Herbert made the hire. Regardless of the politics involved, Sampson remains a good basketball coach. Make no mistake: he understands the game very well but he came with a ton of baggage and the common sense of a toddler.
I didn’t say he couldn’t coach basketball. I said he was a cheat and a liar. There is no disputing that.

I wonder if he gets drunk and says hey I took down a whole program cause I knew we would self report and I hate basketball
Well, I am NOT an athletic department insider but I presume he had evidence, like billing statements, to back him up.

Look at Mack at Louisville, WE beat them last year when they were not that good after he just got started. Since then, we managed to lose 12-13 with a lottery pick on the roster last year. Mack's less talented team got better fast, made the NCAA tournament, got some decent recruits this year and has been ranked #1 this season, if only briefly. Tell me we are getting 3.5M worth of "coaching". A good coach at a historic program should not need 8-9 years, you want to watch this shit for another 4-5, while we give him more time. Those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat the past, especially those that don't remember very recent history.

You're so dumb. Mack inherited a less talented team? Mack's top 6 players this year he inherited from the previous regime. They're all upperclassmen mixed in with a few top flight freshman he recruited. But acting like Mack inherited nothing is down right disingenuous.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
If Miller does not pan out and when the rules change for compensating players...that may not be a bad idea.
We just now started serving beer at games I’m sure we will b 10 years behind when other teams start compensating players.

We just now started serving beer at games I’m sure we will b 10 years behind when other teams start compensating players.

Probably, although I am hoping whomever is hired as the new AD has a little more vision than that. We are kind of a dinosaur in need of an upgrade.

Archie must of left him with a totally stacked lineup cause you need at least 5 years to get a program going. I guess he missed the memo and yeah let's wait and see how he does with his own recruits!!!

“Must of”? Why should anyone take your posts seriously when you don’t even possess basic command of the language, dummy?

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Sampson was a known cheat before we hired him. He promised not to cheat if we hired him. He cheated after we hired him, which made him a cheat AND a liar. It’s irrelevant that the rule is different now, he knew the rule, promised not to break it, and broke it anyway. I’ve been a fan since I was a kid, I went to IU from 79-83 partially because I was a fan of IU basketball and the way they played the game and tried to play by the rules even when Knight criticized those rules. I was proud of being an IU fan. Sampson temporarily ruined that for me. He shouldn’t have been hired and while he was coach I became an apathetic fan of the basketball program of my university. I was embarrassed we hired him and I didn’t try to catch every game, I didn’t care a whole lot while watching them play. I consider those the dark days of my IU fandom. I was hopeful he had changed his ways, but not surprised he hadn’t. Good riddance. He’s the reason it’s taking so long to get back to being IU.

Yep. That's the day Indiana Basketball stopped being the Indiana Basketball that everyone knew.

Archie must of left him with a totally stacked lineup cause you need at least 5 years to get a program going. I guess he missed the memo and yeah let's wait and see how he does with his own recruits!!!
Dayton’s stud player is a freshman.

I wish it weren't so, but I just don't see this season ending well for Archie or us. Maybe one more crappy season with little talent or another disappointing season with less injuries and average talent. I think 70% the problem is lack of talent, roster construction, and lack of leadership, 20% coaching, and the rest the continued injuries (if Archie goes, so damn well should his training staff, it's beyond absurd the injuries we have every f'n year under him).

Let's put it this way, Kelvin Sampson almost instantly turned us into a powerhouse again and we were on the way back, before these things took hold, he unfortunately lied about it again and something he considered a joke infraction. Not talking academic fraud, nor paying players, just too much talking/texting/recruiting … good god, finally they realized, hey that's not a crime. Now he's demonized here for destroying the program, and we thank Crean for tearing it down from there unnecessarily for eternity and never getting it back, even with extreme talent, couldn't win the big game or capitalize his success that year.

Whatever, we pay our coach about 3.5 M to suck at their job now, for several seasons extending into the previous sucky coach (both sucking as coaches/roster managers/recruiters and not for lack of resources … and that's not on Fred, that's the one thing Fred does well … $$$). How great does that make anybody feel, that we went from that to this? Hell, I'd rather be on ban from KS with a team that wanted to go get it the next year, than the crap they are plodding out there as IU Ball …. ridiculous, that I should think that way, but if I could go back in time, I'd try to make it that way, Marty McFly it somehow, been more of a bitch on here.

Maybe Fred could explain it for us further, why we have paid 3.5M to get us ultimately to the NIT, and even when we do get there, lose or just basically forfeit because our coach is so loudly disapproved of it would be a bad look to put that on TV. Good God, the Trustees need to take over and make Quinn God of BBall, or get RMK's approval on everything (senile as he may be getting, I'd trust it over Fred's input), no more mistake hires!.

What expectations are there per Surfer Boy for our 3.5M and ridiculous recruiting expenditures that don't yield anything. How much $$$ could we bet they invested in time on recruiting Garcia, to get burnt by Marquette, and he's a middling prospect, probably no pro potential! Paraphrasing Glass, but it was basically what follows ... "deep tourney runs, Big 10 Championships, not begging to make NIT and forfeit it if the optics on our outrageously high spending don't mesh with results and make the situation look real bad. I could go on, and on, and on, just glad we get to press reset soon. It's the Titanic, probably even worse than Crean's last year.
Dumb

I was looking at the BIG Tournament over the past 20 years....the exact period of time that IU has been off the grid, save a year or two....Illinois, Ohio St, Mich St, Wisky, Purdue and Iowa have all won the tournament. IU's lack of conference tournament success mirrors the NCAA tournament success over that same period of time. Most of those teams are consistently the upper half of the conference.

IUs woes go much deeper than getting into the NCAAs. Knight was all about conference wins, and finishing strong within the conference. The NCAAs took care of themselves. Right now this team is .500 in conference. We hear so much about making the dance...yet conference success has been no better. The conference record is a better gauge for me on how this team is doing. When IU can advance deep into its own conference tournament, and maybe win it some day....I will know IU is back on the national map. We are far from that scenario. I know Knight hated the conference tournament...but IU's lack of success in that tournament is disproportionately more than even regular season records.

IU must get into the top echelon of its own conference before anything else, whomever then coach is.

Reactions: Travis Denny
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT