ADVERTISEMENT

Just not seeing it being long for Archie

go_iu

All-Big Ten
Feb 22, 2004
I wish it weren't so, but I just don't see this season ending well for Archie or us. Maybe one more crappy season with little talent or another disappointing season with less injuries and average talent. I think 70% the problem is lack of talent, roster construction, and lack of leadership, 20% coaching, and the rest the continued injuries (if Archie goes, so damn well should his training staff, it's beyond absurd the injuries we have every f'n year under him).

Let's put it this way, Kelvin Sampson almost instantly turned us into a powerhouse again and we were on the way back, before these things took hold, he unfortunately lied about it again and something he considered a joke infraction. Not talking academic fraud, nor paying players, just too much talking/texting/recruiting … good god, finally they realized, hey that's not a crime. Now he's demonized here for destroying the program, and we thank Crean for tearing it down from there unnecessarily for eternity and never getting it back, even with extreme talent, couldn't win the big game or capitalize his success that year.

Whatever, we pay our coach about 3.5 M to suck at their job now, for several seasons extending into the previous sucky coach (both sucking as coaches/roster managers/recruiters and not for lack of resources … and that's not on Fred, that's the one thing Fred does well … $$$). How great does that make anybody feel, that we went from that to this? Hell, I'd rather be on ban from KS with a team that wanted to go get it the next year, than the crap they are plodding out there as IU Ball …. ridiculous, that I should think that way, but if I could go back in time, I'd try to make it that way, Marty McFly it somehow, been more of a bitch on here.

Maybe Fred could explain it for us further, why we have paid 3.5M to get us ultimately to the NIT, and even when we do get there, lose or just basically forfeit because our coach is so loudly disapproved of it would be a bad look to put that on TV. Good God, the Trustees need to take over and make Quinn God of BBall, or get RMK's approval on everything (senile as he may be getting, I'd trust it over Fred's input), no more mistake hires!.

What expectations are there per Surfer Boy for our 3.5M and ridiculous recruiting expenditures that don't yield anything. How much $$$ could we bet they invested in time on recruiting Garcia, to get burnt by Marquette, and he's a middling prospect, probably no pro potential! Paraphrasing Glass, but it was basically what follows ... "deep tourney runs, Big 10 Championships, not begging to make NIT and forfeit it if the optics on our outrageously high spending don't mesh with results and make the situation look real bad. I could go on, and on, and on, just glad we get to press reset soon. It's the Titanic, probably even worse than Crean's last year.

Last edited:
I wish it weren't so, but I just don't see this season ending well for Archie or us. Maybe one more crappy season with little talent or another disappointing season with less injuries and average talent. I think 70% the problem is lack of talent, roster construction, and lack of leadership, 20% coaching, and the rest the continued injuries (if Archie goes, so damn well should his training staff, it's beyond absurd the injuries we have every f'n year under him).

Let's put it this way, Kelvin Sampson almost instantly turned us into a powerhouse again and we were on the way back, before these things took hold, he unfortunately lied about it again and something he considered a joke infraction. Not talking academic fraud, nor paying players, just too much talking/texting/recruiting … good god, finally they realized, hey that's not a crime. Now he's demonized here for destroying the program, and we thank Crean for tearing it down from there unnecessarily for eternity and never getting it back, even with extreme talent, couldn't win the big game or capitalize his success that year.

Whatever, we pay our coach about 3.5 M to suck at their job now, for several seasons extending into the previous sucky coach (both sucking as coaches/roster managers/recruiters and not for lack of resources … and that's not on Fred, that's the one thing Fred does well … $$$). How great does that make anybody feel, that we went from that to this? Hell, I'd rather be on ban from KS with a team that wanted to go get it the next year, than the crap they are plodding out there as IU Ball …. ridiculous, that I should think that way, but if I could go back in time, I'd try to make it that way, Marty McFly it somehow, been more of a bitch on here.

Maybe Fred could explain it for us further, why we have paid 3.5M to get us ultimately to the NIT, and even when we do get there, lose or just basically forfeit because our coach is so loudly disapproved of it would be a bad look to put that on TV. Good God, the Trustees need to take over and make Quinn God of BBall, or get RMK's approval on everything (senile as he may be getting, I'd trust it over Fred's input), no more mistake hires!.

What expectations are there per Surfer Boy for our 3.5M and ridiculous recruiting expenditures that don't yield anything. How much $$$ could we bet they invested in time on recruiting Garcia, to get burnt by Marquette, and he's a middling prospect, probably no pro potential! Paraphrasing Glass, but it was basically what follows ... "deep tourney runs, Big 10 Championships, not begging to make NIT and forfeit it if the optics on our outrageously high spending don't mesh with results and make the situation look real bad. I could go on, and on, and on, just glad we get to press reset soon. It's the Titanic, probably even worse than Crean's last year.
Sampson was a known cheat before we hired him. He promised not to cheat if we hired him. He cheated after we hired him, which made him a cheat AND a liar. It’s irrelevant that the rule is different now, he knew the rule, promised not to break it, and broke it anyway. I’ve been a fan since I was a kid, I went to IU from 79-83 partially because I was a fan of IU basketball and the way they played the game and tried to play by the rules even when Knight criticized those rules. I was proud of being an IU fan. Sampson temporarily ruined that for me. He shouldn’t have been hired and while he was coach I became an apathetic fan of the basketball program of my university. I was embarrassed we hired him and I didn’t try to catch every game, I didn’t care a whole lot while watching them play. I consider those the dark days of my IU fandom. I was hopeful he had changed his ways, but not surprised he hadn’t. Good riddance. He’s the reason it’s taking so long to get back to being IU.

You probably text more today than Sampson did whoever they pussy whistleblower was needs to go work for Adam Schiff
Yeah I never thought of it that way but some low level compliance person brought down the whole program. Who is the little weasel.

Yeah I never thought of it that way but some low level compliance person brought down the whole program. Who is the little weasel.
Mr. Bing is the 2-1 favorite at this point, anyone that says give ARchie unlimited time doesn't care about the program

You probably text more today than Sampson did whoever they pussy whistleblower was needs to go work for Adam Schiff
It’s not violating the rules for me to text. I realize you don’t have a lot of integrity, but you’re not IU’s coach, you’re just a message board idiot. I expect some integrity from the coach. Sampson apparently lacked that attribute.

Half your post is unintelligible. No surprise there.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
I hate to break it to you, but other programs talk to their recruits, too. Sampson got turned in by other programs when he was at OU, not their own staff. Do you think other programs (like Purdue raising our secondary violation in recruiting Elston) would hesitate to make sure the right people knew if a recruit told them they weren't contacting them as much, and they knew it was a violation? Either way, he knew the rules (and was on probation for this particular rule violation), and did it anyway. As for the current IU team, the Sophomore and Freshman classes along with Brunk are Archie's actual recruits.

QUOTE="bailey777, post: 2833865, member: 37598"]Yeah I never thought of it that way but some low level compliance person brought down the whole program. Who is the little weasel.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Al Bino
It’s not violating the rules for me to text. I realize you don’t have a lot of integrity, but you’re not IU’s coach, you’re just a message board idiot. I expect some integrity from the coach. Sampson apparently lacked that attribute.

Half your post is unintelligible. No surprise there.
Integrity, like chewing a big wad of gum and having a brother who is a scumbag and a best friend named Calipari. Sign me up for more of that.

Outside of Brunk, the Jr and Sr classes are composed entirely of Crean recruits. We have 2 four star players and a borderline 4 star coming in next year. I don't get your point. That we haven't given Archie a chance to put together a team or that you think the roster Crean left (with no PG, no size, and limited shooting....and no open scholorships without taking a post season ban due to previous transfers and lack of focus on grades despite inferior talent) should have been instantly competitive? You guys need to come back down to reality and stop trying to screw up the next 4-5 years simply by having absolutely no patience (and most of you guys have been trying to get him fired from day 1 because you seem to think throwing money at a big name would get them to take over a mess....right...). Get over yourself. If you are a fan, you should want to see a PROGRAM being built not an individual season....and there are countless examples of HoF coaches taking 3-5 years to turn a program around. Either way, this team is 11-3, and if you think they don't have a shot at the NCAA's, you must not pay much attention to college basketball (which would explain the NBA mindset on coaching changes). Get over yourself.

Outside of Brunk, the Jr and Sr classes are composed entirely of Crean recruits. We have 2 four star players and a borderline 4 star coming in next year. I don't get your point. That we haven't given Archie a chance to put together a team or that you think the roster Crean left (with no PG, no size, and limited shooting....and no open scholorships without taking a post season ban due to previous transfers and lack of focus on grades despite inferior talent) should have been instantly competitive? You guys need to come back down to reality and stop trying to screw up the next 4-5 years simply by having absolutely no patience (and most of you guys have been trying to get him fired from day 1 because you seem to think throwing money at a big name would get them to take over a mess....right...). Get over yourself. If you are a fan, you should want to see a PROGRAM being built not an individual season....and there are countless examples of HoF coaches taking 3-5 years to turn a program around. Either way, this team is 11-3, and if you think they don't have a shot at the NCAA's, you must not pay much attention to college basketball (which would explain the NBA mindset on coaching changes). Get over yourself.
No offense but I always laugh at the no patience argument. IU fans have beyond patient for 20 years. Crean got a three year pass when you could not criticize him in the least and fans remained patient beyond belief. Archie was left with a far better situation than crean yet if I understand correctly he should also get a three year pass basically. I wish I could get a 3.5 million dollar gig like that what I can't be judged for 3 to 5 years.

Integrity, like chewing a big wad of gum and having a brother who is a scumbag and a best friend named Calipari. Sign me up for more of that.
What does chewing gum have to do with integrity?

3cpAS6L.jpg

What does chewing gum have to do with integrity?

3cpAS6L.jpg
Nothing he posted was related to integrity or the post he responded to. He’s not here to be serious about anything and he’s not smart enough to post anything worthwhile if he wanted to be serious. I’ve only ignored one other poster (and he was so dumb he didn’t realize those that have him on ignore couldn’t see his posts), but the feature is made for posters like him.

Reactions: MrBing
No offense but I always laugh at the no patience argument. IU fans have beyond patient for 20 years. Crean got a three year pass when you could not criticize him in the least and fans remained patient beyond belief. Archie was left with a far better situation than crean yet if I understand correctly he should also get a three year pass basically. I wish I could get a 3.5 million dollar gig like that what I can't be judged for 3 to 5 years.
That "patience" BS is a loser's mentality. By year 3, a good coach would be showing serious results and/or progress. Anybody saying Archie is delivering either is delirious. The results are not there. 11-3 against eight patsies is not results.

Sampson was a known cheat before we hired him. He promised not to cheat if we hired him. He cheated after we hired him, which made him a cheat AND a liar. It’s irrelevant that the rule is different now, he knew the rule, promised not to break it, and broke it anyway. I’ve been a fan since I was a kid, I went to IU from 79-83 partially because I was a fan of IU basketball and the way they played the game and tried to play by the rules even when Knight criticized those rules. I was proud of being an IU fan. Sampson temporarily ruined that for me. He shouldn’t have been hired and while he was coach I became an apathetic fan of the basketball program of my university. I was embarrassed we hired him and I didn’t try to catch every game, I didn’t care a whole lot while watching them play. I consider those the dark days of my IU fandom. I was hopeful he had changed his ways, but not surprised he hadn’t. Good riddance. He’s the reason it’s taking so long to get back to being IU.
I don't think so, I'd lay the blame on Crean, tore it down, built it up, and left it for dead again

I don't think so, I'd lay the blame on Crean, tore it down, built it up, and left it for dead again
Wrong the blaim is Fred Glass he waited too long to can Crean, should have done it while we still had good players, imagine Archie coming in and having Yogi run is offense with James Blackmon.

Reactions: Krafty97grad
Look at Mack at Louisville, WE beat them last year when they were not that good after he just got started. Since then, we managed to lose 12-13 with a lottery pick on the roster last year. Mack's less talented team got better fast, made the NCAA tournament, got some decent recruits this year and has been ranked #1 this season, if only briefly. Tell me we are getting 3.5M worth of "coaching". A good coach at a historic program should not need 8-9 years, you want to watch this shit for another 4-5, while we give him more time. Those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat the past, especially those that don't remember very recent history.

Mr. Bing is the 2-1 favorite at this point, anyone that says give ARchie unlimited time doesn't care about the program
I know I didn't say to give Archie unlimited time and I doubt anyone here has said that. Your lack of honesty and integrity is obvious and being noted by everyone. Please let me know when you'll be at a game so I can be there for you to call me a weasel. That will be fun.

I know I didn't say to give Archie unlimited time and I doubt anyone here has said that. Your lack of honesty and integrity is obvious and being noted by everyone. Please let me know when you'll be at a game so I can be there for you to call me a weasel. That will be fun.
OK Tough Guy

Look at Mack at Louisville, WE beat them last year when they were not that good after he just got started. Since then, we managed to lose 12-13 with a lottery pick on the roster last year. Mack's less talented team got better fast, made the NCAA tournament, got some decent recruits this year and has been ranked #1 this season, if only briefly. Tell me we are getting 3.5M worth of "coaching". A good coach at a historic program should not need 8-9 years, you want to watch this shit for another 4-5, while we give him more time. Those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat the past, especially those that don't remember very recent history.

Shhhhh the narrative is supposed to be Mack and holtmann were left with loads and loads of talent and Archie was left with absolutely nothing. Then your supposed to say well let's wait and see how Mack and Hofmann do with their own players. The narrative is the deck was so stacked against Archie he should not even be allowed to be criticized one bit until the Justin Smith class is gone. It's a massive and long term rebuilt Archie was left with!!! That's the narrative

Shhhhh the narrative is supposed to be Mack and holtmann were left with loads and loads of talent and Archie was left with absolutely nothing. Then your supposed to say well let's wait and see how Mack and Hofmann do with their own players. The narrative is the deck was so stacked against Archie he should not even be allowed to be criticized one bit until the Justin Smith class is gone. It's a massive and long term rebuilt Archie was left with!!! That's the narrative
Wrong let me help........First off- Archie was FORCED to sign Justin Smith, Al Durham and Clifton Moore. He was then FORCED to start Justin Smith, Al Durham and Devonte Green the next 3 years. He was then FORCED to not use 2 scholarships this year that might have helped out the backcourt. He was then FORCED to continue coaching the packline defense rendering our defense at 57 on kenpom. So stop blaming Archie for the teams problems OK!

Wrong let me help........First off- Archie was FORCED to sign Justin Smith, Al Durham and Clifton Moore. He was then FORCED to start Justin Smith, Al Durham and Devonte Green the next 3 years. He was then FORCED to not use 2 scholarships this year that might have helped out the backcourt. He was then FORCED to continue coaching the packline defense rendering our defense at 57 on kenpom. So stop blaming Archie for the teams problems OK!
And remember he was saving the grants for the loaded 2021 class of which we don't seem to be leading for anyone.

I thought we determined it was Robbie Hummel...or Demetri McCamey....someone we recruited who went somewhere else.

Don't know much about Louisville, so you just decided to "fill in the blanks" with guesses, huh? Look at the rosters from last year to this: it's the same friggin' team. They were talented last year, and more talented than us, imo (the Nwora kid was obviously the best player on the court and they had bigs and shooters), but we beat them when we were playing well. The core of that team was there last year and that's who's leading them this year. Something went wrong with last year's IU team, chemistry wise. We'll never know what the deal was, and it might be on Archie, but I think most of it was on the players... they didn't all of a sudden forget how to play and their effort dropped from good, to nil almost overnight. That screams internal issues. I think there was a fight, or something that crashed that locker room. Still, it's Archie's job to overcome it and I think it was a big miss not to get a grad transfer or 2 (guys who can shoot, not just Brunk) to help overcome what was a glaring weakness on this team. I'm no CAM apologist, and in fact I think he should be gone if we don't make the tourney this year; definitely if not next, but we don't need to make crap up to have valid reasons to question our coach.

Reactions: MrBing
As I recall, it was a grad student who was hired to monitor Sampson's phone use and bill.
I wonder if he gets drunk and says hey I took down a whole program cause I knew we would self report and I hate basketball

Anthony Grant in his 3rd year at Dayton is ranked 15th right now.
Archie must of left him with a totally stacked lineup cause you need at least 5 years to get a program going. I guess he missed the memo and yeah let's wait and see how he does with his own recruits!!!

Archie must of left him with a totally stacked lineup cause you need at least 5 years to get a program going. I guess he missed the memo and yeah let's wait and see how he does with his own recruits!!!
Dayton’s success is all due to Archie never forget that

It's why I call him Calvin Samscum. One thing you can about Crean is he at least didn't cheat and brought us back. His problem was he couldn't sustain and build upon success.

Sampson was actually/ is actually a very good basketball coach. He knows the game.

Had the dummy just played by the rules and recruited some character kids, he would have had a lifetime contract here. He had all the built-in advantages and he still couldn’t just play by the rules. The sad thing is he didn’t even have to do what he did. The program sold itself.

Numbnuts Adam Herbert made the hire. Regardless of the politics involved, Sampson remains a good basketball coach. Make no mistake: he understands the game very well but he came with a ton of baggage and the common sense of a toddler.

I would love Sampson but most people would have a stroke if he came back. What's crazy is he broke rules that are not around anymore.

Reactions: indy1203

BACK AWAY, from, the cliff

restart your Prozac. Kiss your significant other. Life isn’t over for you... yet

Reactions: Radio Zero
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT