ADVERTISEMENT

Just Hire Fife......

The “embarrassment” is derived from rumors and unsubstantiated reports that appear speculative. I guess I’m not embarrassed. Regarding Fife: he has Div 1 experience and his team wins improved year after year during his time as coach (six or seven seasons - and took over shortly after the school moved up to Div 1 (IPFW now called PFW). If he’s good enough to be in position to replace Izzo, I think he should be considered. Is he the “home run?” Nope. Could he be Archie V2.0? Yep. But he should not be summarily written off as a viable candidate.

You probably thought Tom Allen was a bad hire too? Didn’t you
Nope.
Dane Fife has not been mentioned for any other job,not one. He wasn’t even mentioned at Indiana State lol.
You think the Archie years were bad,you haven’t seen anything if they hire Dane Fife🤣

Reactions: IUgradman
How do you know Fife would be bad? I’m not saying he doesn’t have HC experience minus IPFW but who would ever win up there. He’s an Indiana guy and knows his stuff but I understand your concern considering what we just went through with Archie...as well as the last 20 years. Who do you think it should be? Just curious

Fife is not going to happen no matter how badly some on this board may want it to happen.

The two private donors behind the scenes did not commit to covering Archie's buyout as well as the new coaching costs only for Scott Dolson to turn around and hire an unproven assistant coach. Again, that's not to say Fife isn't capable of one day being a tremendous head coach. IU is simply not in a position to take a chance on a guy who has no head coaching experience at the highest level.

P.S. - Fife's head coaching experience at IPFW does not count as being at the "highest level."

How do you know Fife would be bad? I’m not saying he doesn’t have HC experience minus IPFW but who would ever win up there. He’s an Indiana guy and knows his stuff but I understand your concern considering what we just went through with Archie...as well as the last 20 years. Who do you think it should be? Just curious
It should be Matta and probably is if idiots could stop making up bullshit about him for long enough that we can get his signature, assuming he's well enough to use pen and paper, there are digital options too, he could use Dragon Speak :)

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Nope.
Dane Fife has not been mentioned for any other job,not one. He wasn’t even mentioned at Indiana State lol.
You think the Archie years were bad,you haven’t seen anything if they hire Dane Fife🤣
You don’t know what Fife can do. You just speculate like everyone else that doesn’t get the coach they want.

It should be Matta and probably is if idiots could stop making up bullshit about him for long enough that we can get his signature, assuming he's well enough to use pen and paper, there are digital options too, he could use Dragon Speak :)
[/QUO

I like Matta as well. I know people think he wouldn’t be any good bc he’s been outta the game for 4 years but the dude can coach and recruit. I’m not sold on Beilein or some of these other guys but then again what the hell do I know. I’m writing this while sitting on the crapper where every mans deep thoughts come to light!

Fife is not going to happen no matter how badly some on this board may want it to happen.

The two private donors behind the scenes did not commit to covering Archie's buyout as well as the new coaching costs only for Scott Dolson to turn around and hire an unproven assistant coach. Again, that's not to say Fife isn't capable of one day being a tremendous head coach. IU is simply not in a position to take a chance on a guy who has no head coaching experience at the highest level.

P.S. - Fife's head coaching experience at IPFW does not count as being at the "highest level."
Michigan hired an unproven assistant coach.

lol Proven? We're not necessarily in the position to have the pick of whoever we want with no constraints.

We could do a lot worse than Fife. The guy that has been under Izzo for a decade, has experience running a program (albeit, not a ' big time' one), and recruits Indiana just as well, if not better than the last 3 IU head coaches. Give me Fife any day. Just not for a King's ransom.

I think most people would be incredibly happy with Matta, Belien, Musselman, Beard, Fife. In any order really.

Anything else is flavor of the week and has literally gotten IU nowhere for close to 15 years (eg. Porter Moser).

Either way, this is probably the best coaching search IU has done. Love the methodology of Dolson saying "We're not saying anything until we have our guy." Then not hiring a search firm. Hoping for the best.

lol Proven? We're not necessarily in the position to have the pick of whoever we want with no constraints.

We could do a lot worse than Fife. The guy that has been under Izzo for a decade, has experience running a program (albeit, not a ' big time' one), and recruits Indiana just as well, if not better than the last 3 IU head coaches. Give me Fife any day. Just not for a King's ransom.

I think most people would be incredibly happy with Matta, Belien, Musselman, Beard, Fife. In any order really.

Anything else is flavor of the week and has literally gotten IU nowhere for close to 15 years (eg. Porter Moser).

Either way, this is probably the best coaching search IU has done. Love the methodology of Dolson saying "We're not saying anything until we have our guy." Then not hiring a search firm. Hoping for the best.
Do a lot worse; like a coach who took teams to the NCAA tournament? That is who Miller was at the time and look at the results. Is Fife as accomplished as Miller was when hired?

Two of the best coaches of the last generation came from humble beginnings. Kansas hired Roy Williams directly from the bench as an assistant to Dean Smith. Coach K was briefly an assistant with Knight then went for a short stint as HC at Army before Duke hired him. Top assistants used to be a very valuable source for coaching talent, but people really want to be able to celebrate the hire nowadays. You can't dance around waving old brackets when celebrating hiring a top assistant.

In fact our current strategy would have eliminated Brad Stevens, Tom Izzo, Roy Williams and Coach K at the point in their careers when they were actually attainable. That's just off the top of my head.

In fact our current strategy would have eliminated Brad Stevens, Tom Izzo, Roy Williams and Coach K at the point in their careers when they were actually attainable. That's just off the top of my head.
The problem is people are afraid to make a mistake and own up to it, Dolson should just go with his gut and make the hire, kind of what Glass did with Tom Allen, did Glass take a long time to hire Allen? No it was like that day. Mental Masturbation nobody does it better than the coaching searches at IUBB>

Problem is "someone" owns Dolson now.

I would give Fife my support and every chance to succeed. He would seem to be a very risky choice, though, for a hire that we simply cannot whiff on, if we hope to regain staus as a program. If we screw up the next hire, we will be a relevant as CCNY and USF: Old, ancient news.

The problem is people are afraid to make a mistake and own up to it, Dolson should just go with his gut and make the hire, kind of what Glass did with Tom Allen, did Glass take a long time to hire Allen? No it was like that day. Mental Masturbation nobody does it better than the coaching searches at IUBB>
Multiple problems with your rush for Dolson to make his hire is that, unlike Allen, the wanted coach is not already on the staff, and, more importantly, may still be playing in the tournament. Thus, just because Dolson has not made a hire, does not mean he is performing "mental masturbation" over his selection choice.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Multiple problems with your rush for Dolson to make his hire is that, unlike Allen, the wanted coach is not already on the staff, and, more importantly, may still be playing in the tournament. Thus, just because Dolson has not made a hire, does not mean he is performing "mental masturbation" over his selection choice.
We will soon find out won't we.

Do a lot worse; like a coach who took teams to the NCAA tournament? That is who Miller was at the time and look at the results. Is Fife as accomplished as Miller was when hired?
Past results may not be the best indicator of future success is the lesson. Beard, Stevens, and MD lost 4 NC's, none has had a ton of success since. Really, do we want someone that wants to hang their hat on, "I almost won" and pay them a huge salary to try again. The guys who actually won didn't do that, they keep winning. I'd be OK with a Fife surrounded by strong assistants

Reactions: victorbear
Past results may not be the best indicator of future success is the lesson. Beard, Stevens, and MD lost 4 NC's, none has had a ton of success since. Really, do we want someone that wants to hang their hat on, "I almost won" and pay them a huge salary to try again. The guys who actually won didn't do that, they keep winning. I'd be OK with a Fife surrounded by strong assistants
They lost NCs so they were there, Fife not so much. We’ve already had 4 years of tournament drought. Would prefer to take my chances on someone who’s been there than someone trying to figure it out for the first time

They lost NCs so they were there, Fife not so much. We’ve already had 4 years of tournament drought. Would prefer to take my chances on someone who’s been there than someone trying to figure it out for the first time
Actually 5 yrs but who's counting?

better number is 4 tourney bids over the last 13 years.

Or better said- since the Sampson debacle, the ONLY years an IU team has made the tourney are seasons where Cody and/or Yogi were on the squad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT