ADVERTISEMENT

Just got back to the ATL from the game last night . . .

Sope Creek

Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2003
and I'll file a full story on the game experience later. But what I want to know right now is

WHERE THE HELL WERE ALL YOU GUYS.

From what I could tell I was the only Peegs regular at the stadium.

In any case, if you're going to the game tomorrow, get there an hour or so early if you can. IU soccer travels very well because of a very generous fan who provides a tailgate before the games at home and sometimes on the road. He wasn't missing this one after traveling to ND and UNC this year. I was shocked to find 250 or so friendly faces in IU gear at a prime position in the parking lot when I got to the stadium. From that spot there's even a good view of the huge HD screen at the end of the field . . . we kept up with the Maryland/Georgetown game while enjoying some of our favorite beverages and finger foods. The guy(s) putting this tailgate on are class acts all the way. And there were appearances by the IU pep band and cheerleaders too. None of the other teams had even a whisper of this sort of game day atmosphere, even if they did have good traveling fan support. Our tailgate benefactor did have a jar for donations, but it was very low key; could have easily missed it if I hadn't been looking for it specifically. And after putting a twenty in, I still wondered if I was being cheap in responding to his generosity. So take a little extra cash and fill this guy's donations jar up a bit.

Oh, and for those folks bitching about the stadium, just STFU . . . it's a nice spot for a soccer match. I'd say on par with Armstrong in terms of viewing angles and distances, but with seats behind one of the goals if you want to watch from there. (And yes, I'm a 15 minute drive from the Kennesaw State stadium too . . . but when the CC is this close and the stadium this nice, it's worth the trip.) Take your own snacks, though: concessions weren't among the best I've had.

50-50 . . . . MrsSope . . .

is committed to singing a solo at church tomorrow, and we'll get out about 11:30 EST. It's a 2 1/2 hour drive from here at minimum, so if we left from church and changed in the car we might make it by kick-off. Not sure if we can swing that plus a 2-3 hours at the game, another hour at the after-game tailgate and still make in home in time to rest up for what promises to be a very busy week next week. That's one reason I wanted to go to Friday night's game.

But MrsSope said last night she wants to go . . . so we'll see. If you go, email me where you're going to be pre- and post-game. I'll try to find you there.

By the sounds of it, I'll probably find the IU tailgate

make my donation, and hang out with them. How were tickets done? Is it general admission sitting?

Walk up = General Admission seating, $20 per ticket . . .

Schools that sold tickets have preferred seating in the sections next to the field, right behind their team's bench. I was 3 rows up from the walkway separating the next-to-field sections from the general admission seating and I had great sight lines. I can't imagine there's a really bad seat in the house.

Some of the kids from the club travel teams in town preferred to sit behind the west end goal . . . and from watching a lot of bball in Columbus' gym from that same spot I think it can show a more 3 dimensional view of "how" the game is played. But you only get to see half the game from that vantage point.

Peegs needs to sell buttons we can wear

to football, basketball, and other sports like tomorrow's soccer game identifying Peegs members. Could customize with Peegs nickname, graduation year, etc.

Great to hear from a soccer fan for the IU team who knows soccer.
In 1954 I practiced with the Indiana club team. Then one long night we traveled to Earlham College to play on Saturday. Six of us were cramed into an old Plymonth 4 door for the trip. Lost the game as i think it was their varsity team. Long ride back to b-town.
Wish i could remember the guy's name who coached the team. I made the yearbook though as very few showed up for the picture of the soccer club.
The team had foreign players who could do things with a soccer ball that i had never seen done before. One of the South American players drove a white Caddy convertible.It was said he had transferred from Purdue and told his father that he needed money to buy a tractor for classes at Purdue. Hence the white Caddy at IU.
I think i quite the team after that ride as i wanted the chase after all the beautiful girls i found on campus. Those great blanket parties done me in though.
I flunked out, but the coach did ask me to come out the next year as i had played high school soccer in PA. Must have thought i played good.
joelpa

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT