ADVERTISEMENT

Just got back from voting . . .

Sope Creek

Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2003
. . . in the runoff election being held here in Georgia. Yes, there are two US senate seats up for grabs, and there's a PSC (public service commission) seat in the balance too. 3 offices in play, 1 GOP candidate vs. 1 Democratic candidate in each.

I went to the same voting location where I voted in the general election, and much to my surprise it wasn't open despite my having checked the elections website early last week to confirm it would be open. Instead of 11 early voting sites, the county had said it would open 5 . . . then it must've changed its mind and opened 7 - 3 east and north, 3 south and west, and one smack dab in the center of the county. The voting site I used for the general was 10 minutes away . . . the new site was an additional 10 minutes away, sort of in the southwest part of the county. (Powder Springs . . . I passed Chanel Wilson's and Josh Smith's old high school on the way.) OK, no big deal.**

Got to the new site, and waited in line in a very light rain for about 10 minutes. That's a damn sight shorter than the 3 hours it took in November. One of the poll workers there - both locations - was a friend/neighbor I've known for 30+ years. In my hat, mask, rain coat and hood . . . she didn't recognize me until I was leaving. I guess context matters; there's no reason she should've expected to see me there. When I left the line was out the door about 60 socially distanced feet . . . not a long line, and the rain was spitting at most. It was a very short time to vote compared to the long waits at the main location in downtown of the county seat.

I expect the turnout to be relatively high for this runoff election . . . compared to other runoffs. That said, I suspect that the turnout will be relatively low compared to general elections. No idea whom that helps/hurts . . . .

** Many thanks to the kind lady who sat in her car at the old early voting site on a cold, raw day to stop me and give me the lowdown on where the new early voting location is. She doesn't have to be there doing that, but she was . . . the only thing I could do was to return and thank her . . . and give her my "I Voted" sticker. She was interested to make sure I got to vote even though I'm an old midwestern white guy with a southern accent and well . . . she's not. Let's just say I was bemused by her car's leopard skin upholstery and her New Jersey accent. I might take her some Starbucks hot chocolate tomorrow . . . and if she's not there, I'll drink it myself.

Last edited:
. . . in the runoff election being held here in Georgia. Yes, there are two US senate seats up for grabs, and there's a PSC (public service commission) seat in the balance too. 3 offices in play, 1 GOP candidate vs. 1 Democratic candidate in each.

I went to the same voting location where I voted in the general election, and much to my surprise it wasn't open despite my having checked the elections website early last week to confirm it would be open. Instead of 11 early voting sites, the county had said it would open 5 . . . then it must've changed its mind and opened 7 - 3 east and north, 3 south and west, and one smack dab in the center of the county. The voting site I used for the general was 10 minutes away . . . the new site was an additional 10 minutes away, sort of in the southwest part of the county. (Powder Springs . . . I passed Chanel Wilson's and Josh Smith's old high school on the way.) OK, no big deal.**

Got to the new site, and waited in line in a very light rain for about 10 minutes. That's a damn sight shorter than the 3 hours it took in November. One of the poll workers there - both locations - was a friend/neighbor I've known for 30+ years. In my hat, mask, rain coat and hood . . . she didn't recognize me until I was leaving. I guess context matters; there's no reason she should've expected to see me there. When I left the line was out the door about 60 socially distanced feet . . . not a long line, and the rain was spitting at most. It was a very short time to vote compared to the long waits at the main location in downtown of the county seat.

I expect the turnout to be relatively high for this runoff election . . . compared to other runoffs. That said, I suspect that the turnout will be relatively low compared to general elections. No idea whom that helps/hurts . . . .

** Many thinks to the kind lady who sat in her car at the old early voting site on a cold, raw day to stop me and give me the lowdown on where the new early voting location is. She doesn't have to be there doing that, but she was . . . the only thing I could do was to return and thank her . . . and give her my "I Voted" sticker. She was interested to make sure I got to vote even though I'm an old midwestern white guy with a southern accent and well . . . she's not. Let's just say I was bemused by her car's leopard skin upholstery and her New Jersey accent. I might take her some Starbucks hot chocolate tomorrow . . . and if she's not there, I'll drink it myself.

You’re a thoughtful guy Sope.

Last edited:
Reactions: meridian

** Many thinks to the kind lady who sat in her car at the old early voting site on a cold, raw day to stop me and give me the lowdown on where the new early voting location is. She doesn't have to be there doing that, but she was . . . the only thing I could do was to return and thank her . . . and give her my "I Voted" sticker. She was interested to make sure I got to vote even though I'm an old midwestern white guy with a southern accent and well . . . she's not. Let's just say I was bemused by her car's leopard skin upholstery and her New Jersey accent. I might take her some Starbucks hot chocolate tomorrow . . . and if she's not there, I'll drink it myself.
Found her for you:

If those machines are touch-screens, the lines should move quicker than the general election since the ballot will be so much shorter. So wait times aren't really a comparable metric.

If those machines are touch-screens, the lines should move quicker than the general election since the ballot will be so much shorter. So wait times aren't really a comparable metric.
Touch screen with a stylus, a printed ballot, and then fax the printed ballot into the server.

ADVERTISEMENT