ADVERTISEMENT

Just got back from getting vaccinated . . .

Sope Creek

Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2003
. . . for shingles (the first of two Shingrix vaccine shots) and this year's flavor of the flu. Never had a flu shot until last fall . . . this year I can't imagine going without one. My neighbor had a long, nasty and painful fight with shingles this past winter/spring . . . she pleaded with me to get vaccinated because she felt awful for months . . . so I can now face her and truthfully tell her that I got a shingles vaccine because of her experience.

Looks like another double whammy in November . . . the 2nd Shingrix shot and a pneumonia shot. Never had a pneumonia shot before . . . is it an annual thing or a one-time thing?

Gonna be tough to swing the golf club today . . . and tomorrow. No worries the rest of the week . . . it's supposed to rain here anyway.

. . . for shingles (the first of two Shingrix vaccine shots) and this year's flavor of the flu. Never had a flu shot until last fall . . . this year I can't imagine going without one. My neighbor had a long, nasty and painful fight with shingles this past winter/spring . . . she pleaded with me to get vaccinated because she felt awful for months . . . so I can now face her and truthfully tell her that I got a shingles vaccine because of her experience.

Looks like another double whammy in November . . . the 2nd Shingrix shot and a pneumonia shot. Never had a pneumonia shot before . . . is it an annual thing or a one-time thing?

Gonna be tough to swing the golf club today . . . and tomorrow. No worries the rest of the week . . . it's supposed to rain here anyway.
That’s good sope. I’ll never forget when tony Larussa had it. Nasty, nasty looking stuff.

Reactions: Sope Creek
That’s good sope. I’ll never forget when tony Larussa had it. Nasty, nasty looking stuff.
From the reports I've heard - mostly from elderly (80+) women - it's highly painful . . . the most pain they've had to endure, and that includes childbirth . . . .

Reactions: mcmurtry66

Does it feel like a tetanus shot? I've never felt sore after a flu shot, but always get a bit of dead arm after tetanus ones.

Two more thoughts:

1) The pool (not hot tub, just lap pool) can do wonders for loosening your muscles after shots

2) Very smart to get this. My MIL is a doctor and came down with Shingles right before COVID hit, so luckily she was actually out of commission for a while. She's a tough lady and never complains, but she was incredibly uncomfortable for two full months while she battled Shingles.

Her story convinced my parents to get their Shingles vaccinations.

I have had both shingles and pneumonia. One would think i am older than 40? Since i was in my 30's with shingles it wasn't too bad...was not fun at all though. It was funny when i told people i had shingles, they would inevitably say, "oh yeah, my grandma had that i think"
Pneumonia felt like i was living a malarial pill dream, but with nasty coughs. I could never handle my hallucinogenics...

• Haha
My mom came down with it (shingles) and it was the worst. Finally got the vaccine pre-covid. It felt like someone had punched me in the arm a few times for a couple of days.
Also had the flu shot for the first time this past winter. I'm sure this will become an annual thing for me.
I think the pneumonia shot is a one time thing, but I could be wrong.

Does it feel like a tetanus shot? I've never felt sore after a flu shot, but always get a bit of dead arm after tetanus ones.

Two more thoughts:

1) The pool (not hot tub, just lap pool) can do wonders for loosening your muscles after shots

2) Very smart to get this. My MIL is a doctor and came down with Shingles right before COVID hit, so luckily she was actually out of commission for a while. She's a tough lady and never complains, but she was incredibly uncomfortable for two full months while she battled Shingles.

Yeah, it's been a while since I've had a tetanus shot, but I'd say that the Shingrix shot felt about the same, based on what I can remember . . .

. . . regarding (2), that's similar to the stories I've heard.

BTW, one of the interesting features to this story is that MrsSope said that I can't be around her if I get an active (live agent) flu or shingles vaccine, all because she's now taking Stelara, which can compromise the immune system. Shingrix uses an inactive agent, and the flu shot that the office I went to uses also uses an inactive agent.

BTW, one of the interesting features to this story is that MrsSope said that I can't be around her if I get an active (live agent) flu or shingles vaccine, all because she's now taking Stelara, which can compromise the immune system. Shingrix uses an inactive agent, and the flu shot that the office I went to uses also uses an inactive agent.

This sounds like a blessing and a curse ;)

Reactions: UncleMark
BTW, one of the interesting features to this story is that MrsSope said that I can't be around her if I get an active (live agent) flu or shingles vaccine, all because she's now taking Stelara, which can compromise the immune system.

KeenDistortedHart-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: outside shooter
To quote a great American . . . you can look it up.

[on edit:] Or not . . .

. . . here's the official HCP website regarding Stelara: https://www.stelarahcp.com/

. . . and here's what it says about vaccines while on Stelara:

Prior to initiating therapy with STELARA®, patients should receive all age-appropriate immunizations recommended by current guidelines. Patients being treated with STELARA® should not receive live vaccines. BCG vaccines should not be given during treatment or within one year of initiating or discontinuing STELARA®. Exercise caution when administering live vaccines to household contacts of STELARA® patients, as shedding and subsequent transmission to STELARA® patients may occur. Non-live vaccinations received during a course of STELARA® may not elicit an immune response sufficient to prevent disease. (emphasis provided.)

I have had both shingles and pneumonia. One would think i am older than 40? Since i was in my 30's with shingles it wasn't too bad...was not fun at all though. It was funny when i told people i had shingles, they would inevitably say, "oh yeah, my grandma had that i think"
Pneumonia felt like i was living a malarial pill dream, but with nasty coughs. I could never handle my hallucinogenics...

That's pretty rare considering the age distribution. I wonder if the supply was abundant enough if they would lower the age requirement (I believe you have to be over 60 to receive it).

Pneumonia shots used to be two shots but now only one. Throw in the shingles shot and the flu shot and the COVID shot when it comes and you could sub as a pin cushion. By the way I had malaria once and it was like a horrible case of the flu. High temp and hallucinations. You know what you want to say but what comes out of your mouth makes no sense. My wife said I sounded normal. In Africa you just take a few pills and within a few days you’re feeling better. Here in the states they put you in the hospital and a week later you get out still feeling like crap. Sorry for the rambling.

Reactions: 76-1 and Sope Creek

The pool (and the ocean or a lake) can do wonders for all sorts of things. Highly recommend it. Sunday morning I managed to get in a 3K open water swim (in a lake). Was a bit odd, though. When we started there were a dozen or so photographers there shooting birds. When we climbed out, the photographers had been replaced by what looked to be a quinceañera. But I might need to start wearing a helmet, as I ran head first into a rather large log in the middle of the swim.

I had a debilitating dose if the flu about 15 years ago. I’ve gotten flu shots ever since and up the vitamins during flu season. I’ll be first in line for Covid. A friend has shingles now, he had the first vaccine shot but not the second. He’s an MD. My daughter had shingles last winter, gone in about 3 weeks. More annoying than painful.

Nope. It's a great blue herron.

Saw two of them in flight (one nearly right over us) in the middle of our swim.
MrsSope sometimes will see one in the small lake we walk past on our way to the woods for a hike. We like to play and call it a "blue herring" . . . just for fun . . . it probably reminds us of something our kids would have said when they were little . . . hopefully when they were little.

Reactions: Noodle
MrsSope sometimes will see one in the small lake we walk past on our way to the woods for a hike. We like to play and call it a "blue herring" . . . just for fun . . . it probably reminds us of something our kids would have said when they were little . . . hopefully when they were little.
Last time out an osprey flew directly over us. I didn't even know we had them around here. Apparently they reintroduced them not too long ago. I suspect that a lot of the photographers come out hoping to capture an osprey or a bald eagle. Saw my first bald eagle in the wild about a month ago. It flew right in front of my car, no more than 30 feet above.

As for great blue herron, it always amazes me how often they will hang out in small ponds and lakes. You would think a bird that size would need more space.

In the future, i would probably wait til oct to get flu shot. Those things do wear off after a while so best to make sure it is in play during the peak of flu season.

Last time out an osprey flew directly over us. I didn't even know we had them around here. Apparently they reintroduced them not too long ago. I suspect that a lot of the photographers come out hoping to capture an osprey or a bald eagle. Saw my first bald eagle in the wild about a month ago. It flew right in front of my car, no more than 30 feet above.

As for great blue herron, it always amazes me how often they will hang out in small ponds and lakes. You would think a bird that size would need more space.
Where we are a bird that size has this small lake to itself . . . no competitors in the water with it. It fishes, very patiently, primarily in the spring right next to the culvert where fresh water flows into the lake. It's not there all the time . . . my guess is that it has a multi-lake territory.

Osprey? Near Cincy? That I would not have guessed. Haven't seen one here as of yet . . . will be on the lookout for one from now on.

Bald eagles have become fairly ubiquitous along the great rivers in the US. There used to be an online website for 2 nesting bald eagles in Mississippi County, Missouri, which is directly opposite of where the Ohio flows into the Mississippi. Last time I was there I went to see the nest in person . . . and saw two balds while on the foray. One was flying, the other sitting on the nest . . . those are dadgum big birds. Mean-looking, too.

Where we are a bird that size has this small lake to itself . . . no competitors in the water with it. It fishes, very patiently, primarily in the spring right next to the culvert where fresh water flows into the lake. It's not there all the time . . . my guess is that it has a multi-lake territory.

Osprey? Near Cincy? That I would not have guessed. Haven't seen one here as of yet . . . will be on the lookout for one from now on.

Bald eagles have become fairly ubiquitous along the great rivers in the US. There used to be an online website for 2 nesting bald eagles in Mississippi County, Missouri, which is directly opposite of where the Ohio flows into the Mississippi. Last time I was there I went to see the nest in person . . . and saw two balds while on the foray. One was flying, the other sitting on the nest . . . those are dadgum big birds. Mean-looking, too.

There are over 700 bald eagle nests in Ohio (in every county but 3).

Osprey range:

137797491-1280px.jpg

There are over 700 bald eagle nests in Ohio (in every county but 3).

Osprey range:

137797491-1280px.jpg
Thanks! Looks like we're just about where the breeding grounds and year-round ground meet. Oughta be able to see something . . . just gotta find the right spot, I guess.

Two more thoughts:

I watched my dad suffer through a bout of shingles a few years ago. Same thing. A tough old bastard that I’ve seen chop off parts of fingers and break bones and not complain, but was brought to tears a few times with the pain he experienced when hit with shingles. Had blisters on his back and all up and down his left leg. Said he felt like he was on fire on the inside.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge

There a nesting bald eagle pair near our cabin in a big tree in the North Platte Canyon. I’ve been at the site a few times before the young fledged. The parents circled overhead making kind of a high pitched clucking sound. The bald eagle call is unimpressive, but in flight, which we often see, they are magnificent. the nest is a little ways down the canyon and we can see into it from above. One time they were feeding their babies with a bloody critter of some kind by ripping meat and putting it into the mouths of the young. Before the young fledge they are as big as a turkey and venture outside the nest on a limb, but don’t go far. All fascinating to watch.

I watched my dad suffer through a bout of shingles a few years ago. Same thing. A tough old bastard that I’ve seen chop off parts of fingers and break bones and not complain, but was brought to tears a few times with the pain he experienced when hit with shingles. Had blisters on his back and all up and down his left leg. Said he felt like he was on fire on the inside.
The few days before the bumps came, it felt like i had got sunburned on my stomach. It was driving me crazy b/c i couldn't understand it until the bumps came. I then googled rash (which i don't recommend), but it was textbook where my bumps appeared. I didn't have it that bad, but yeah it makes you want to punch a hole in the wall.

I believe there are two pneumonia shots. See here . The new shingle vaccine is a lot more effective than the old one. I think they say it's about 90% effective whereas the old one was only 50-60% effective. I know a couple people that had shingles and I got the new one as quick as I could even though I had had the old one.

I believe there are two pneumonia shots. See here . The new shingle vaccine is a lot more effective than the old one. I think they say it's about 90% effective whereas the old one was only 50-60% effective. I know a couple people that had shingles and I got the new one as quick as I could even though I had had the old one.

This. I’ve had both doses of Shingrix this year as well as the 1st pneumonia shot. I was told to get the 2nd pneumonia shot 5 years from now, although I think you may be able to get the more powerful pneumonia shot and be done with it. Not sure though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT