ADVERTISEMENT

Just for conversation starters...

Coach Geez

All-Big Ten
Dec 23, 2019
Whether we like it or not, Archie is likely going to see year 4. With the new AD not being announced til May, the logistics of properly vetting and conducting an appropriate hiring process isn't in IU's favor. I believe Archie's buyout is significantly lower after year 4. But in the event the job does open up....

There's 2 guys IU needs to look out and go after until both tell you NO.
-Bruce Pearl Auburn
-Chris Beard Texas Tech

Bruce Pearl is the likeliest of the two to come to Bloomington and I think it's actually a job he'd take. With the proper vetting and changes in NCAA amateurism looming on the horizon, this is a no-brainer. Beard is another guy you approach, but I think he's deeply interested in staying within the Lone Star State and for his current contract and buyout, IU might be better staying put. In the event either of those two say no, I'd be happy with any of these next 4 candidates

-Scott Drew Baylor
-Kevin Willard Seton Hall
-LaVall Jordan Butler
-Kelvin Sampson Houston (yes that Kelvin Sampson)

IF IU isn't able to land any of those tier A and B guys, we have a problem. These next few candidates could potentially work, but not the home run hire needed.

-Travis Steele Xavier
-Dane Fife Michigan State assistant
-Mike White Florida

let's just drop the Sampson talk, that's not happening. Not now, not tomorrow, not ever. Anyone who needs it explained to them isn't living in reality.

Pearl has always seemed a little on the sleazy side to me. Not sure if that's fair or based on half-truths. He does have Auburn rolling this year. And he's been around long enough (unlike a lot of younger coaches) to fully appreciate the IU job (not sure if that is good or bad considering the present state of affairs)

And honestly, Baylor is also rolling (so is S Hall) so tell me how we lure a young coach who has a hot program moving forward, to jump ship and land in this pissed off fan base who is going to burn them at the stake if the new coach doesn't have us in the sweet 16 by year 3?

There is a growing wave on this board (and in the general fan base, I'm sure) moving towards the inevitable dismissal of CAM. However, I'm very fearful that CAM's replacement is NOT going to measure up to the level that many of these people are hoping for....another mid-major coach is the most likely scenario. And IMHO, Fife would not be a wise choice (and has he EVER expressed interest? Or is he just waiting out Izzo?).

I'm afraid we have some rough seas ahead....again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT